ImageImage

Something big in the works?

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

ball teacher
Starter
And1: 259

Something big in the works? 

Post#1 » by ball teacher » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:18 pm

I was reading through some of the Charlotte Bobcats blogs and I came upon one called Rufus on fire. In one of the posts some guy who goes by James the Aussie who appears to have a little credibilty on the site hinted (without spilling too much info) that the Dampier trade is more valuable than most realise and that Jordan (who's known to be a gambler) is trying to piece a much bigger deal together that should make the Bobcats contenders this upcoming season. James wouldn't say who the players are that's supposedly involved, but he did mention the deal as being unbelievably huge and he even said that the deal matches according to the trade machines. This bit of info really got the blog members hyped up with anticipation as to who's possibly involved. These are the two main posts that caused the uproar....

# 1 " Alright... I just got off the phone with my guy who is leaving TWC after working 28 of the last 48 hrs We had a long conversation and much of it was very vague, because either he couldn’t tell me, or he’s not really sure.

So, here’s what I know:
- The Calderon trade is not dead. There is still a possibility he will be a Charlotte Bobcat, but relations are very strained between Charlotte and Toronto. He doesn’t know for sure, but he suspects that Toronto was going to use Chandler to pull the exact same trade with Dallas tomorrow using some of their trade exception to get Dampier, Carroll and Najera. They wanted to cut more cap space and the Bobcats got wind of it, killing the trade and beating them to the punch- Toronto are not happy about this. Again, this is his personal speculation.

- There is a greater trade in the works, but today’s deal gives them more options. The Bobcats needed some of Toronto’s trade exception to pull the deal off, now they figure they can force the issue with Toronto as they have all the pieces the Raptor’s wanted, or work the deal independent of anything with Toronto due to Dampier’s deal.

- Going through the Raptors is not 100% neccesary for this deal to take place, but he no longer has any clue who this deal involves. He said that ‘the number crunchers are in Charlotte and the decision makers are in Las Vegas’.

- The Bobcats have 60 days to cut or trade Dampier.

- MJ, Larry Brown and Rod Higgins are all working together on these roster moves, but MJ and LB seem to be the only one’s really signing off on anything, Higgins appears to be fetching deals.

- He told me he ‘honestly doesn’t know’ if Chris Paul is a target, but those were the water cooler grumblings at TWC today.

- Deals we’re seeing in the day are the product of meetings in Vegas during the night. We’ll keep seeing stuff throughout the day, but most of that will be smokescreens for what we see in the afternoon.

- If everything falls through with all of the trades then Dampier will be cut. He is the safety valve where the Bobcats can still wheel and deal but get close to the cap if the house of cards falls down.

- He reiterated that the team still want an elite PG and an elite C, but the chances of getting both appear slim.

- Everything is going well, and this Dampier trade was not a desperation move on Charlotte’s behalf. It was rushed through the league office to ensure the Bobcats had everything in place to resume negotiations tonight knowing exactly what pieces they have to trade.

Cat Scratch Reader's resident optimist.
I also blog the Panthers at Real Bits of Panthers

by James The Aussie on Jul 13, 2010 5:48 PM EDT "

# 2 " I just heard an absolutely INSANE trade rumor... absolutely, wildly, intensely INSANE From another friend in New York, doesn’t work for the Bobcats but has his finger on the pulse of the NBA.

I don’t want to say anything in case this doesn’t come true… so I will tell you this much:

This deal he heard about through an ‘unnamed league source’ would require us trading Gerald Wallace but I assume you, the payoff would make the Bobcats be relevant and in title contention.

He told me this deal would be ‘damn near impossible’ to happen, but he said that his source tells his it has been mentioned in Las Vegas, and was not shot down immediately. If this is step four, then I tell you I got goosebumps when I heard and will tell everyone later in the week if it doesn’t happen.

Cat Scratch Reader's resident optimist.
I also blog the Panthers at Real Bits of Panthers

by James The Aussie on Jul 13, 2010 7:04 PM EDT "

This is the link http://www.rufusonfire.com/2010/7/13/15 ... he-bobcats
"Thou shalt not test basketball Mcjesus at the rim or ye shall receive the forearm of righteousness" Flip Murray
ohara
Head Coach
And1: 167

Re: Something big in the works? 

Post#2 » by ohara » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:57 pm

I think they have to be planning another move. Right now, we are far behind Orlando and Miami. But if we use the Dampier contract and Diaw wisely, we can make huge gains. Hope they are working hard on it and not just looking at this as merely a salary dump.
doc.end
General Manager
And1: 191

Post#3 » by doc.end » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:09 pm

Well, unless we move Diaw (for a space or a need) we would either trade Dampier for contract of like Sessions' one or we would go into luxury tax area. As they is ve limited space to do something and stay below luxury tax, it is probable they are trying to get a significant player to go into the luxury tax.

Of course Nazr can be moved (but he is now our strting center by default) or Carroll or Nájera in separate deals - don't know why would Toronto want them but I won't ask (they are hording non-us players and 3pr shooters anyway).

I hope we won't bump this a lot or Raps will come... :) Glad to hear we are allegedly raping their front office Vegas style.
Felton for Pres
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#4 » by Felton for Pres » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:14 pm

James The Aussie then goes on to speculate a lot about CP. Interesting.

Hoopsworld (i know...i know...) seems to think CP will be traded in the next few weeks.

Should be an interesting time.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#5 » by BigSlam » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:16 pm

Can't see us landing Chris Paul. Can't see it all. If he was that available I'm sure one of the (seemingly hundreds these days) teams with cap space or TPE's or "DUSTS" or what ever would have had him.

Besides, they would want to move a big contract with Paul (like Posey or Okafor) and we don't have room to take them on.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#6 » by BigSlam » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:27 pm

http://www.hoopsworld.com/HeadlineStories.asp

Could Chris Paul be Traded Soon?
B B M F 'ers
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,664

Post#7 » by Diop » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:32 pm

He mentioned that Wallace would have to be traded.

Damp's and Wallace for Okafor and Paul?
If they were going to trade Paul, they wouldn't be that bad a deal. An all star SF and automatic savings.

Wallace by far is my favourite player, but I would have to do it for Paul.

This is the exact type of trade I would do on NBA 2k10 :lol:
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#8 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:36 pm

I love Paul, but he isn't going to be traded this summer. This year during the season or next summer ... maybe. But right now it's not going to happen.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
doc.end
General Manager
And1: 191

Post#9 » by doc.end » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:36 pm

I think half of that can be actual rumour based on something and rest is just blown up.

Surely it is not trade with Miami. Not with Dallas. Not with Toronto (with them we might do a side deal).
So there is 26 teams left...
I don't think it could be CP3 nor Melo they seem to want to join each other in NYK.
Who else would be that groundbreaking - I can't imagine Kobe would return to Charlotte now. Who would reaplce Crash at SF? There not so many small forwards LB would want over him. Durant would make sense but I don't see a reason from Thunder standpoint.

Nash works for Dampier btw (I don't know anything is possible with their FO), Parker too (he is an expiring so he is pretty much out of question straight up).
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#10 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:37 pm

And as long as you are reading Hoopsworld, read this

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=16808
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
Felton for Pres
Pro Prospect

Post#11 » by Felton for Pres » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:03 pm

The comments on Rufus on Fire are insane. Someone needs to recruit that James guy over here.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#12 » by BigSlam » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:05 pm

Felton for Pres wrote:The comments on Rufus on Fire are insane. Someone needs to recruit that James guy over here.

Unless his "contact" is just some dude who works the drink stand at Time Warner and everything he's saying is bs.
countryboi
Head Coach
And1: 1,303

Post#13 » by countryboi » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:22 pm

after reading the comments he does seem to have some credibilty on the board and normally you only get that way in NBA forums is by being right in the past so anyway maybe there is something too him......i would like to see some of his older posts

EDIT: and then i read somemore and he said he as never done this before....gat damnit
freakon0mics
Analyst
And1: 73

Post#14 » by freakon0mics » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:27 pm

You never know this guy might be right. I wouldn't be surprised if MJ and crew were doing these trades in hope of landing a big name target. These front office employees do talk with other teams about every player in the league with deals in place to get them but 99% of the time those deals never fall through.
"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying." - Michael Jordan
Battery
Analyst
And1: 158

Post#15 » by Battery » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:35 pm

I believe too that something big has to be in the works, otherwise they never would have made the Dallas deal. That deal made no sense unless it's a precursor to something else. And with MJ you never know what he has up his sleeve. Makes things interesting thats for sure

We need a serious upgrade at the PG spot and also better outside shooters. I can see us trading away Wallace. Great value contract and we could get back a lot in return. Plus we have the Dampier contract, another big trading chip.

MJ has 2 choices, either blow this sh*t up or make a big time move for a great player. Enough with the just trying to squeak into the playoffs crap.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,138

Post#16 » by Rich4114 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:41 pm

Well, there aren't many guys that would be available or we would trade Gerald Wallace for. However, the CP3 thing would set this city on fire (in a good way). I might fly down there to start a parade. Then we can all talk about how instead of giving up two lotto picks to get Paul we wasted two lotto picks on nothing plus gave up Wallace, lol.

But whatever, Paul can win you a championship while Wallace would only be able to be a supporting cast. Wallace is from Alabamba (somewhat close to NOLA) and CP3 is from Greensboro area.

Another piece to consider - the Hornets are in the western conference. Do you really think they'd trade a guy like that to someone who they plan on competing with for a playoff spot every year? Highly doubt that, it's crazy talk. He'd need to send him to an Eastern Conference team that feels they could resign him long term.
99problems
Junior

Post#17 » by 99problems » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:49 pm

Tim Duncan and Tony Parker
toka
Junior

Post#18 » by toka » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:52 pm

ball teacher wrote:So, here’s what I know:
- The Calderon trade is not dead. There is still a possibility he will be a Charlotte Bobcat, but relations are very strained between Charlotte and Toronto. He doesn’t know for sure, but he suspects that Toronto was going to use Chandler to pull the exact same trade with Dallas tomorrow using some of their trade exception to get Dampier, Carroll and Najera. They wanted to cut more cap space and the Bobcats got wind of it, killing the trade and beating them to the punch- Toronto are not happy about this. Again, this is his personal speculation.

That little bit of speculation makes no logical sense. If Raps had traded with the Bobcats then flipped it for the Dallas trade. They'd end up with Carroll & Najera instead of Evans, which is actually more expensive for them even if they waived Dampier. If they wanted to shed salary then they wouldn't want to take on Chandler at all, just Calderon for Diaw straight up, which they weren't willing to do. The whole deal breaker there was the Raps wanted Chandler for their C position and wanted the Bobcats to take on Evans to alleviate having to take on Chandler's contract. Why would they then flip Chandler for nothing and take on Najera & Carroll for no reason? If you take it from the 'asset' angle. The Raptors have a giant 14.5 million trade exception, why would they go through two trades, take on more salary, just to get a trade chip they already have.
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 549

Post#19 » by Walt Cronkite » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:53 pm

Rich4114 wrote:Another piece to consider - the Hornets are in the western conference. Do you really think they'd trade a guy like that to someone who they plan on competing with for a playoff spot every year? Highly doubt that, it's crazy talk. He'd need to send him to an Eastern Conference team that feels they could resign him long term.

PLUS, the Hornets owe us.
Battery
Analyst
And1: 158

Post#20 » by Battery » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:55 pm

Rich4114 wrote:Well, there aren't many guys that would be available or we would trade Gerald Wallace for. However, the CP3 thing would set this city on fire (in a good way). I might fly down there to start a parade. Then we can all talk about how instead of giving up two lotto picks to get Paul we wasted two lotto picks on nothing plus gave up Wallace, lol.

But whatever, Paul can win you a championship while Wallace would only be able to be a supporting cast. Wallace is from Alabamba (somewhat close to NOLA) and CP3 is from Greensboro area.

Another piece to consider - the Hornets are in the western conference. Do you really think they'd trade a guy like that to someone who they plan on competing with for a playoff spot every year? Highly doubt that, it's crazy talk. He'd need to send him to an Eastern Conference team that feels they could resign him long term.

I agree and we do have history with NOH so maybe there is a chance we get Paul. Acquiring Dampier's contract was huge because we could use it to help save NOH a ton of money. Wallace could be traded to another team in order to get more assets we could use to help land Paul if they want to completely blow it up.

Return to Charlotte Hornets