ImageImageImageImageImage

TROLL HERE! (Insults, trolls welcome) GOT A LOPSIDED TRADE? Post it here so we can sneer and lob derision at you..

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

TROLL HERE! (Insults, trolls welcome) GOT A LOPSIDED TRADE? Post it here so we can sneer and lob derision at you.. 

Post#1 » by doclinkin » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:37 am

Remember, in law what constitutes acceptable standards is defined by the community. In the context of this thread our community says it is okay to insult each other, lob bombs or bon mots (at foe or friend or self alike) so long as it is funny, witty, sarcastic, sardonic, absurd, or enjoyably meanspirited. Feel free to clown around and make general mockery, so long as you're smart and funny you will be welcome.

Original post for posterity, but this thread is about more than ji. It's about MOCKERY!

ORIGINAL POST:
==============================================
I'm always proud of this board's ability to enter into a spirited debate with little inarticulate name-calling and bug-eyed doofus-ery. Seems to me we've always sorta welcomed posters from other boards dropping in to give a bit of a poke in the ribs, since it gives us a chance to offer a bit of a counter-argument, or agreement, or um, articulate name-calling and well-reasoned doofus-ery.

Other boards apparently do not have the same perspective. And occasionally we lose good posters who are accustomed to our more resilient culture when they offer a counter argument on another board. Sometimes they are permanently poleaxed for offering mild criticism, jocular witticism or um inadvertent innate douchebaggery. It takes a certain sort of person to be a longtime fan of an oft-losing or perennial laughingstock team, we grow tough skin around here. Frontrunner teams ain't used to having a good laugh at oneself, or each other.

Looks like we have, for the time being lost our personal jinx and resident weather geek 'ji' for being as inept on another board as he generally is on this one. HIs innate ability to do exactly the wrong thing caused him to step into the vacant elevator shaft of an oversensitive mod or two on another board, and so: so long little buddy.

I've registered my complaint on the topic. But even volunteer bureaucracies tend to work the same way, I suspect they'll protect their own and not reverse it so as not to lose a moderator, which is an admittedly thankless job, unless you're a power-mongering dbag yourself who has little life beyond these backwaters of the interwebs. The mod job basically should almost never land in the hands of someone who is lobbying for it, else it be used simply to settle personal grudges with those whom you cannot defeat with logic.

Whatever, to memorialize our boy ji, I figure I'll resurrect our Trolls thread wherein we broaden our interpretation of the terms of service such that, as in the legal definition, a community defines it's own values for subjective definifitions like 'offensive'.

In the context of this thread it is not offensive to clown on each other, to mock, to give a little jab, to laugh at our own shortcomings and those of others. No big deal, stop being so damn sensitive about it, this is a fundamentally unserious thing we do, we're watching sweaty grown-ups run around in short pants lobbing a toy around. Then talkign about it as if it were life or death. It ain't.

In that vein. Feel free to clown on ji a few last times if you want.

And welcome Trolls one and all. As the old saying goes: "If you haven't got anything nice to say... come sit next to me".
doclinkin
RealGM

Re: The JI memorial 'Welcome Trolls' thread. 

Post#2 » by doclinkin » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:39 am

In case the objection thread is locked or removed for some reason, I figure I'll quote it here::

doclinkin wrote:Is it possible to review 'waived' posters offenses?

Scuttlebutt around the boards seems to suggest the Miami Heat boards may have gotten a little hypersensitive and perhaps overzealous in playing 'whack-a-mole' on perceived trolls.

I suspect elevated expectations and the summer's PR stumbles (in the case of LeBron) may mean the team is more vulnerable to the Nelson Muntzes of the world haw hawing at every mini misstep, I can see why gunslinger mods might be a little jumpy, twitchy with the hairtrigger, but even so it seems to me a poster ought to progress through warnings or suspensions before they are drop-kicked out of the room on a permanent basis.

The wizboard lost our resident jinx, 'ji' who's naturally a bit of downer but we enjoy his Eeeyore aspect and his completely inaccurate weather-predictions. This is along-time poster who has long ago entered into the lore of the board, and generally adds amusing content even if he is clearly entirely responsible for all our previous terrible luck (in injuries, crappy draft picks up to now, etc).

His demeanor is rarely positive, which can read as trolling I suppose, but to be fair he's more of a plague on our team than anyone else's, and seems to me it ought to be fair game to occasionally wonder about a front-office decision. IN this case it looks like the guy was banned for suggesting that the Heat would eventually regret Chris Bosh's contract. That seems to me a reasonable opinion to offer, even if I think he's basically wrong considering they got LeBron for pennies on the dollar in large part because Bosh signed with the team. Seems to me it would be fair to debate the point though, not crush a poster like bug just because their opinion don't jive.

I suppose I'm used to the Wiz Board where we kinda welcome trolls (not kinda, we actually had a 'Welcome, trolls' thread for a while, just so we could get a good debate going) but it seems to me that a little back-and-forth on a topic is what keeps these boards from being a self-flogging circle-jerk and instead become a FORUM for conversation and discourse and even a bit of well-reasoned debate, Heck, even jibes and jeering among friends, so long as the thread is not derailed and the topic is germane.

ji does not to appear to be the only casualty of what must have been a trying night for moderator patience or something. Looks like a few posters got caught in some sort of toxic fallout. I'd just feel a little better about the deal if there were some sort of star chamber to review whether the execution of a fellow was warranted, or perhaps admittedly a bit hasty, to be commuted to time served after the fact..
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#3 » by pineappleheadindc » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:44 am

Love this thread.

FYI (for outside people mostly), if you find a post moved when you post to this board somewhere...and it was a little trollish, it'll be moved here.

No muss, no fuss, no bans by me (at least). But moved here, where you'll have to do battle with the Wiz board regulars (who weild articulate, funny, and cutting DAGGERS!) So if you want to try and troll this board, be prepared to do some good-natured battle.

Bonus points for being clever. We value that here.

Except for that, this is your unmoderated (except for copyright, nudity, or similar types of issues) heaven.

Thank you doc.
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
Scabs304
General Manager
And1: 38

Post#4 » by Scabs304 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:56 am

I also would like to dedicate this thread to G2K. I've gotten warnings in the past about trolling. Also everyone will remember I lobbyied hard for modship here ;). Let me just say this place was a hell of alot better cause of jro and pine getting it over me ;).

I really want to make a million threads right now just to do my own little tribute to are fallen heroes....
I am Scabs.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#5 » by Dat2U » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:14 am

Wow, Ji got banned? Damn, dude has pissed me off on too many occasions but he's like our love-able loser. Mods on other boards are way too sensitive these days. Personally I don't see anything wrong with a little trolling as long as it's about basketball and doesn't get personal.

Ji, I'm pouring out a little liquor for you my man...
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,701

Post#6 » by montestewart » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:25 am

Trolls on the LeBJ board should stay there, shouldn't they? It wouldn't be as fun without an occasional out-of-town guest.

I don't know the Ji history, but that ban sounds a little school safety patrol-ish.
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#7 » by Illuminaire » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:33 am

Can we get a link to the thread he was banned because of? It's hard to believe he could get completely banned for just stating an opinion of Bosh's contract... and if that is the case, man will I be angry.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#8 » by Wizards2Lottery » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:48 am

Free Ji. Just take away his thread starting abilities.
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#9 » by BigA » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:03 pm

Sorry to hear about Ji. The Heat board is just working to enforce the groupthink wrt LeBron and the Heat that's been mandated by Phil Knight, ESPN, and the cabin boy, David Stern.
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#10 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:37 pm

Wizards2Lottery wrote:Free Ji. Just take away his thread starting abilities.

:lol:
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,766

Post#11 » by Rafael122 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:09 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho7eJuJFdH8[/youtube]

A little tribute to Ji...
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#12 » by JWizmentality » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:57 am

Hold the phone! Do we have the post that got Ji banned? That should be placed in the HOF thread stat!
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#13 » by doclinkin » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:07 am

Eh, never mind, the jagoff is back with a different screen name. Hey, ban him again mods so we can go back to memorializing the little turd...

:clown:
bulletproof_32
Sixth Man
And1: 40

Post#14 » by bulletproof_32 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:14 am

JWizmentality wrote:Hold the phone! Do we have the post that got Ji banned? That should be placed in the HOF thread stat!

In terms of getting banned it was pretty weak:

Ji wrote:Lebron only 13 shots? WTF/// Lebron way better than Wade....he should not be shooting 13 times. Bosh just sucks. thats going to be a contract you regret

Finkle is Einhorn, though. Castor Troy is back under a new name.

Wiz go on a historic streak now. Can't decide if it'll be a winning or loosing [sic] one, though.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#15 » by JWizmentality » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:22 am

It's the historic sentiment that matters...but Christ, is that it?? :eek1:
bulletproof_32
Sixth Man
And1: 40

Post#16 » by bulletproof_32 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:46 am

Yup, that's it.

Your boy probably had something to do with it. I'm guessing we'll see a change in Miller's Mod Status in the next few days.

What comes after Global Mod anyway?

Omniscient Mod?
Howard Mass Offspring?

Miller's not even hiding the fact that he's trying to take over RealGM. I was scrolling through the Heat/ C's game thread and came across one of his followers, JookyJam (scroll down a few posts):

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1065668&start=1200

Seriously though, miller, are you OK with that guy hijacking your avatar?
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#17 » by pineappleheadindc » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:08 pm

I didn't know where else to put this.

RealGM poster BLACK MAMBA 24 was just suspended for posting this gem on the Heat board in the gamethread between the Heat and Pacers:

BLACK MAMBA 24 wrote:great job indiana..

:roll:
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."

--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"

- Yoda
Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant
And1: 222

Post#18 » by Severn Hoos » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:43 pm

Actually, I heard it was because he refused the "enhanced" patdown...
"A society that puts equality - in the sense of equality of outcome - ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom. The use of force to achieve equality will destroy freedom" Milton Friedman, Free to Choose
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#19 » by Wizards2Lottery » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:53 pm

pineappleheadindc wrote:.

I didn't know where else to put this.

RealGM poster BLACK MAMBA 24 was just suspended for posting this gem on the Heat board in the gamethread between the Heat and Pacers:

BLACK MAMBA 24 wrote:great job indiana..

:roll:

Can't mods get in trouble for abuse of power? This seems ridiculous.
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#20 » by Illuminaire » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:17 am

Co-sign to that. Over-sensitivity is not a good mod quality.

Return to Washington Wizards