Is James Harden a bust

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

eagleye
Sophomore
And1: 1

Is James Harden a bust 

Post#1 » by eagleye » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:16 am

Harden is a no 3 overall pick from the 2009 nba draft and was looked at like a mix of Manu Ginobli and Paul Pierce

but he is not starting, is on the bench while Thabo Sefolosha starts

he has some double figure games but certainly not what a no3 pick should be performing in his second season

Is he a bust?

Is he just a role player and a player that cant be an allstar?
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Re: Is James Harden a bust 

Post#2 » by The J Rocka » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:27 am

It's only his second season...
Pomme
Pro Prospect
And1: 7

Post#3 » by Pomme » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:33 am

even if this was his 3/4/5/6 season he not gona be Pierce/Gino. Not every top 3 will be a star.
King Of The 4th
Head Coach
And1: 7,256

Post#4 » by King Of The 4th » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:35 am

J_Era_3 wrote:It's only his second season...
MetalFingaz wrote:Clearly he was trying to go off the backboard to the ghost of Rik Smits, but he forget Rik was still alive and that ghosts can't dunk.

KDBG wrote:I want to kill Jamal Crawford. Murder his 80 year old a$$. But he is probably a cool guy in real life.
WAYSA
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#5 » by WAYSA » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:41 am

Rondo To KG wrote:
J_Era_3 wrote:It's only his second season...

That is a great Rondo quote, I lol'd.

Harden is a bit of a disappointment so far. He shoots terrible from the field, but has shown a very nice 3PT shot. I'd expect him to become a lot more efficient overtime. He wasn't hyped very much out of Az St -- everyone knew he was a really good player, but the expectations weren't insane. I think he'll be okay.
KidDelicious
Sophomore

Post#6 » by KidDelicious » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:44 am

its mostly just the lack of real ball movement in okc. okc is near the bottom of the league in assists and often in games you see james harden wide open and the ball doesnt move to him. hes not being aggresive either and when he is aggresive he gets a little too excited and often fails to finish at the rim. that being said i think with time hell be okay..
Fear the Beard!!
gpb08
Sophomore

Post#7 » by gpb08 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:59 am

put him in a team like minnesota or golden state he'll flourish
even the teams that aren't even close to being championship caliber and know that they aren't are still competing like they can
Trip
Junior
And1: 50

Post#8 » by Trip » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:21 am

He can make things happen when the ball is in his hands. Problem is he has basically taken on the role of spot up shooting. Then there are times when he has the ball (Boston game) and he just looks scared and clueless. I think at some point he will start to turn the corner, if not this season then possibly next on a team better suited for him.
MSGBallerz
Banned User

Post#9 » by MSGBallerz » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:38 am

They should have taken Tyreke...

Westbrook
Evans
Durant
Green
It doesn't matter.
illiance
RealGM
And1: 507

Post#10 » by illiance » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:48 am

That was an awful pick. Don't give me this garbage about made up words like glue guy or chemistry, Curry and Evans are vastly better players. Harden is not near them. Bad pick.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#11 » by NewWolvesOrder » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:50 am

MSGBallerz wrote:They should have taken Tyreke...

Westbrook
Evans
Durant
Green
It doesn't matter.

to play Thabo's role? the game is played with one ball.
Jimmy76
RealGM
And1: 8

Post#12 » by Jimmy76 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:51 am

if the Thunder picked Reke either Westbrook, Evans, or both would look like trash right now

considering he's been made a sixth man anyways Curry looks like a better pick but if Harden ends up starting (and I think he should) I still might go with him so Westbrook doesn't get made into an undersized 2

The only guy who would have been a major difference maker for the Thunder in that draft was picked number 1
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#13 » by Cammo101 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:00 am

Westbrook
Evans
Durant
Green
It doesn't matter.

Horrible fit. Tyreke would hurt Durant a lot IMO.
purpandgold
Ballboy

Post#14 » by purpandgold » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:48 am

Agree about Tyreke hurting Durant's overall play..both need the ball to work. Curry in my mind would have been the absolute perfect fit. The Thunder would be a couple years of experience and a solid big man away from wreaking havoc on the NBA.

James Harden is a solid role player though, he's not Evans, Curry, or Jennings but he's still better than a lot of the other guys in his draft class.
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#15 » by magicman123 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:13 am

Westbrook
Evans
Durant
Green
It doesn't matter.

sounds like the knicks philosophy, that would be terrible trying to share the ball with that team..
sugarscape
Sophomore
And1: 5

Post#16 » by sugarscape » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:21 am

He's a bust. His in-game athleticism is poor and he's not very big or skilled. There is no decisiveness to his game either. His upside is Aaron McKie.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,947

Post#17 » by slick_watts » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:38 am

He's playing very scared. If this keeps up maybe he needs a change of scenery. He has skill and he can shoot / pass but he hesitates and over thinks.

He'll either play his way out of it or he might end up elsewhere and be a difference maker, IMO. The talent is there.

He's not a bust yet.
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#18 » by richboy » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:41 am

He is one of the least talented number 3 picks I can remember. He has skill but he not close to what you would expect from a number 3 pick. His skill set is identical to Reggie Williams who went undrafted.

He a mediocre athlete. His shot is slow so he has to be wide open to get going. His handle and playmaking isn't special. I don't know what they have seen from him to make him that high of a pick. He does nothing great. He does most things average at best.

I like Presti but some of his moves are just bad. With all the picks he accumulated. With all the cap space they had. With all the young talent they have already. Its kind of sad that he hasn't given Durant and Westbrook a legit #3 big man in the low box.

Its to bad they didn't get the number 1 pick that year and use it to take Griffin. Its tough to call Harden a bust because in reality he should have been a late lottery pick at best. Him and Thabeet should never been taken so high. Thabeet has no offensive game and can't rebound. Everyone should have known that in college.

That draft should have been

1. Griffin
2. Evans
3. Curry
4. Rubio
5. Holiday
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
ballchat
Ballboy

Post#19 » by ballchat » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:09 am

For what it's worth, I have more faith in Harden than Evan Turner in becoming a solid player. Harden had a few noteworthy games last year, plus he's bringing back the beard.
http://www.ballchat.podbean.com
Rated by the players as the best basketball podcast on the web

1/20/11 Ep. 16 - Melo'd Out - Melo trade, Griffin an allstar, and Lil Wayne hatin
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,371

Post#20 » by Dominator83 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:22 am

Considering that he went before Evans, Curry, and Jennings, I would say it was a pretty bad choice
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !

Return to Player Comparisons