ImageImageImageImageImage

OT:Is Harrison Barnes the most overhyped Freshman in history

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Raptor_Captor
Ballboy
And1: 0

OT:Is Harrison Barnes the most overhyped Freshman in history 

Post#1 » by Raptor_Captor » Wed Dec 1, 2010 3:33 pm

I don't know if anyone has seen this kid play yet but I have not seen much to like about him. He is in love with his jumper that doesn't love him back. The only guy I think about when I think of Barnes is Felipe Lopez.

Barnes was a pre season all american somehow. He doesn't even look that athletic out there.

On the contrary, Kyrie and Terrance Jones are looking like they should have a spot on the All-american squad right now. They have been ripping it up.
Brought-Talents
Banned User

Re: Is Harrison Barnes the most overhyped Freshman in history 

Post#2 » by Brought-Talents » Wed Dec 1, 2010 3:38 pm

No I don't think so I think Greg Oden was, we never even heard much about Durant it was all about this kid being compared to David Robinson and whatnot. The hype is really the norm for the concensus number 1 pick of the draft. At this point the only way to overhype someone is to say something like "this kid will SAVE the NBA he WILL become better than Jordan they shoud just stop drafting kids after this guy cuz no one else can touch him."

Or do u mean overhype as in u don't think this kid will be any good?
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,907

Post#3 » by JN » Wed Dec 1, 2010 3:40 pm

He is the first ever freshmen that was preseason all-american, so he definetely had a high level of hype.

Wait for the season to play itself out, but he is certainly looking to be way overhyped.

Freshmen are overhyped all the time in the NCAA, but guys like Barnes and Lopez were viewed as extremely elite coming in. At a lower degree, Fab Melo, who was considered one of the top two or three freshmen centres entering the NCAA, has been an utter flop for Syracuse averaging about 3 points a game. He starts the game, blows, and then sits on the bench for the rest of the game. Reminds me of how Araujo used to start, and then only see the court a few more minutes after that.
JN
RealGM

Post#4 » by JN » Wed Dec 1, 2010 3:43 pm

Brought-Talents wrote:No I don't think so I think Greg Oden was, we never even heard much about Durant it was all about this kid being compared to David Robinson and whatnot. The hype is really the norm for the concensus number 1 pick of the draft. At this point the only way to overhype someone is to say something like "this kid will SAVE the NBA he WILL become better than Jordan they shoud just stop drafting kids after this guy cuz no one else can touch him."

Or do u mean overhype as in u don't think this kid will be any good?

Even Oden was not consensus preseason first team All-American.

Hell Carmelo Anthony, put up 23-10, and was not an All-American at the end of the season (mind you those get done before the tournament). But pre=Melo, Junior and Seniors would get the benefit of the doubt in these rankings. Since Melo's freshmen success, these awards give the benefit of the doubt to freshmen.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,463

Re: OT:Is Harrison Barnes the most overhyped Freshman in history 

Post#5 » by DG88 » Wed Dec 1, 2010 3:45 pm

Here use the draft thread
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1056803
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,293

Post#6 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed Dec 1, 2010 3:46 pm

Greg Paulus
kdizzle
Senior
And1: 33

Post#7 » by kdizzle » Wed Dec 1, 2010 3:48 pm

Marvin Williams, that is who Harrison Barnes reminds me of.
JN
RealGM

Post#8 » by JN » Wed Dec 1, 2010 3:51 pm

kdizzle wrote:Marvin Williams, that is who Harrison Barnes reminds me of.

Interesting comparison, but Barnes is expected to be the man while Marvin was not.

Marvin had upperclassmen first rounders in Felton. May and McCants on his team. His lower numbers were seen more as deferring to them. Barnes can't get away with that.
JN
RealGM

Post#9 » by JN » Wed Dec 1, 2010 3:53 pm

kdizzle wrote:Marvin Williams, that is who Harrison Barnes reminds me of.

Interesting comparison, but Barnes is expected to be the man while Marvin was not.

Marvin had upperclassmen first rounders in Felton. May and McCants on his team. His lower numbers were seen more as deferring to them. Barnes can't get away with that.
JN
RealGM

Post#10 » by JN » Wed Dec 1, 2010 3:55 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:Greg Paulus

There was worse

Lenny Cooke
Lester Earl
Chris Burgess (Basically Every 1990's Duke big man post Laettner - Greg Newton, Joey Beard, Tayman Domzalski (sp), Cherokee Parks)
JN
RealGM

Post#11 » by JN » Wed Dec 1, 2010 3:58 pm

I start following college basketball pretty hard in the late 80's. The first overhyped freshmen I encountered was Damon Bailey at Indiana. The guy was expected to be a star immediately -- he finally became pretty good as a senior, but the hype for this kid coming into Indiana was unreal.

It was up there with the Fab Five coming in and Felipe Lopez.
Brought-Talents
Banned User

Post#12 » by Brought-Talents » Wed Dec 1, 2010 4:01 pm

Did you guys ever see that 30 for 30 thing? those documentaries? Man watching the one on Len Bias really made me wonder what if? This guy was "supposed" to be better than Jordan apperantly. Smooth Jump Shot and better hops than Jordan. Bias with the Celtics woulda extended their Dynasty and Jordan might never have gotten his first three-peat.

MAN! Scary...
Damn! What if...
Raptor_Captor
Ballboy

Post#13 » by Raptor_Captor » Wed Dec 1, 2010 4:25 pm

I don't think Greg Oden was that big of a disapponitment as a freshman to be honest. He played a large part of the season with only one arm, which happened to be his wrong arm. He was shooting his free throws with his left and could basically only dunk or do left hand hooks and was still a double double threat and a big time shot blocker.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,224

Post#14 » by Shaazzam » Wed Dec 1, 2010 4:30 pm

lol at using hyperbole in regards to someone being overhyped
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
SnotoriousBIG
Sixth Man
And1: 1,289

Post#15 » by SnotoriousBIG » Wed Dec 1, 2010 4:30 pm

Lloyd Daniels - the hype was staggering. He was considered to be the second best high schooler (until he started smoking crack) from NYC ever, until.....

Felipe Lopez- covers of magazines, rap songs just massive hype he could never live up to. He was suppose to be what Kobe eventually became.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,472

Post#16 » by Worm Guts » Wed Dec 1, 2010 4:36 pm

Raptor_Captor wrote:I don't think Greg Oden was that big of a disapponitment as a freshman to be honest. He played a large part of the season with only one arm, which happened to be his wrong arm. He was shooting his free throws with his left and could basically only dunk or do left hand hooks and was still a double double threat and a big time shot blocker.

Oden was awesome as a freshman, maybe not quite as dominant as billed but definitely no disappointment.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#17 » by Kabookalu » Wed Dec 1, 2010 4:39 pm

I'm not really into the whole college scene and don't follow it well, but I can see why; guys like Wall and Oden are hyped going into the NBA for their potential but not as much going into college because everyone knows they're just gonna bounce after one year.
Read on Twitter
SnotoriousBIG
Sixth Man
And1: 1,289

Post#18 » by SnotoriousBIG » Wed Dec 1, 2010 4:45 pm

JN wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:Greg Paulus

There was worse

Lenny Cooke
Lester Earl
Chris Burgess (Basically Every 1990's Duke big man post Laettner - Greg Newton, Joey Beard, Tayman Domzalski (sp), Cherokee Parks)

I don't think Lenny made it to college to be a freshman and Lester Earl was such a
disappointment. LSU thought he was going to deliver a national championship, instead he almost destroyed their program :noway: :crazy:
JN
RealGM

Post#19 » by JN » Wed Dec 1, 2010 5:59 pm

Choker wrote:I'm not really into the whole college scene and don't follow it well, but I can see why; guys like Wall and Oden are hyped going into the NBA for their potential but not as much going into college because everyone knows they're just gonna bounce after one year.

Not true.

Post Melo 2003 and the one year rule, freshmen (especially one and dones) get more hype entering college then ever.
fredericklove
Banned User
And1: 6,398

Post#20 » by fredericklove » Wed Dec 1, 2010 6:47 pm

Over-hyped by the youtube and media, scouts praised his game way too much, but for sure he's got the talent though, but never expected him to bring the storm into the college like kevin durant did, right now he's struggling due to poor guards play that's unable to feed him the ball, nor has he been assertive in the game in addition with his poor slow first step and weak ball handling. But overall, he's got the talent potential there but just hasn't been able to maximize his skills in college. The hype pressure thing sure got into his head too as he's trying to do everything perfect, it's not doing him any good.

Return to Toronto Raptors