ImageImage

Interested In Jered Weaver?

TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,815

Interested In Jered Weaver? 

Post#1 » by TyCobb » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:44 am

With all of the NL teams stacking up on pitching, would the Cardinals be interested in a Jered Weaver and Kevin Jepsen deal for Colby Rasmus, Zach Cox, and Shelby Miller deal?
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Re: Interested In Jered Weaver? 

Post#2 » by bigboy1234 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:04 pm

Shelby Miller is a better player than any the Brewers just gave the Royals to get Greinke and with Cox that is a better package.

Greinke is just as good, and in my opinion better than Weaver.

It would be nice to have a better #5, but I doubt it would happen as the Cards owe Lohse too much, so he is going to get his chances and it surely won't happen for a price like you proposed.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,815

Post#3 » by TyCobb » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:51 am

Let's be real, the only pitcher on the Cardinals that would be better than Weaver would be Adam Wainwright, so to say Jered would be the #5 is pretty amusing and shows me that you're drinking some nice haterade. Even with pitching in the American League, Weaver still put up a better BB/9 and K/9 than any Cardinals pitcher last year, and your boy Zach Greinke.

Carpenter is getting up there in age as well, so unless you think he can pitch in his 40's, it's time to start finding a legit replacement. And a rotation of Adam Wainwright, Jered Weaver, Chris Carpenter, and Jaime Garcia would give you a good chance to advance past the Phillies in the playoffs.

It might be too much to give up, but I don't find the reasons you listed to be legitimate. Plus, you're prospect-biased, even more so than your typical minor league fan.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Post#4 » by bigboy1234 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:38 am

Huh? I said it would be nice to have a better #5 starter, as in Lohse isn't that good. Not that Weaver is a #5 caliber pitcher.

Are you saying Shelby Miller and Cox isn't a good of a haul as Odorizzi, Jeffress, Alcides, and Cain?

Are you saying Greinke isn't better than Weaver?

And this isn't even including Colby who fangraphs listed as having the 14th most trade value in all of baseball.

The Cards wouldn't even do Rasmus for Weaver straight up. But hey, go ahead and believe they would do that plus a top 20 prospect in baseball and plus another prospect they just gave 3.2M and used a first round pick on. They would have Lohse's 24M over the next two seasons as a reliever then and JJay as the CF and he isn't really a CF, making our defensive OF even worse.
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12

Post#5 » by mizzoupacers » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:22 pm

TyCobb wrote:With all of the NL teams stacking up on pitching, would the Cardinals be interested in a Jered Weaver and Kevin Jepsen deal for Colby Rasmus, Zach Cox, and Shelby Miller deal?

I think that's too much for the Cardinals to give up. Plus, it doesn't address the biggest problem, which is not starting pitching but rather an embarrassingly sucky middle infield (third base too if Freese is still too hurt to be productive).

Return to St. Louis Cardinals