Klay Thompson Is The Most Underrated Prospect On The Planet

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Point-God
Banned User
And1: 8

Klay Thompson Is The Most Underrated Prospect On The Planet 

Post#1 » by Point-God » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:01 am

I have been following college drafts for quite a long time and Klay Thompson is the most underrated prospect that I can remember. A 6'6" shooting guard with high production, a handle, athleticism, good floor vision and a perfect shooting form should at least be in 1st round conversation. He has lottery pick talent IMO. The fact that no one on realgm is talking about him confirms that most people just repeat the perspective the major draft websites give them instead of going with their own evaluations of prospects. Klay Thompson compares to NBA shooting guards like Kevin Martin, Allen Houston, Eddie Jones, and Anthony Parker. Also, his father is former 1978 #1 overall pick Mychal Thompson.

jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Re: Klay Thompson Is The Most Underrated Prospect On The Planet 

Post#2 » by jman3134 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:04 am

How does the lack of a thread prove that we don't recognize him as a prospect? And, Thompson does not compare to any of those guys. He is not as quick off the dribble and does not have their athleticism at all. But, he does have solid height and potential as a pull up shooter. Not sure I like him on defense though. Right now I would say that he is a borderline first round pick.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#3 » by Cammo101 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:08 am

He does seem to have a Landry Fields feel to him.

I think most expect him not to declare for this years draft.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#4 » by shangrila » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:21 pm

He seems less athletic then Fields though.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#5 » by jpatrick » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:11 pm

I'm sure this has been said before but he his game has alot of Kevin Martin to it.
travisjordan
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#6 » by travisjordan » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:00 pm

I've seen some threads declaring Talib Zanna, Klay Thompson, and previously Brian Zoubek a season ago as lottery selections, just a reminder there's only 14 of them. Thompson (who I doubt will declare for the 2011 draft) is comparable to a Anthony Parker/Landry Fields type serviceable guard who can make you some shots, defend well, and do the litte things for the good of the team. Let's not put him in the lottery just yet though.
travisjordan
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#7 » by travisjordan » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:01 pm

I've seen some threads declaring Talib Zanna, Klay Thompson, and previously Brian Zoubek a season ago as lottery selections, just a reminder there's only 14 of them. Thompson (who I doubt will declare for the 2011 draft) is comparable to a Anthony Parker/Landry Fields type serviceable guard who can make you some shots, defend well, and do the litte things for the good of the team. Let's not put him in the lottery just yet though.
Leolovinliberal
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#8 » by Leolovinliberal » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:51 am

Point-God wrote:I have been following college drafts for quite a long time and Klay Thompson is the most underrated prospect that I can remember. A 6'6" shooting guard with high production, a handle, athleticism, good floor vision and a perfect shooting form should at least be in 1st round conversation. He has lottery pick talent IMO. The fact that no one on realgm is talking about him confirms that most people just repeat the perspective the major draft websites give them instead of going with their own evaluations of prospects. Klay Thompson compares to NBA shooting guards like Kevin Martin, Allen Houston, Eddie Jones, and Anthony Parker. Also, his father is former 1978 #1 overall pick Mychal Thompson.

+ a billion. I was gonna start a thread about him two weeks ago, but never got around to it. This guy is excellent at everything. The thing is nowadays, it's all about hype, recruiting stars and media peer pressure, I see it all of the time on this board. About 5 or 6 years ago at this time, the consensus #1 pick on all of the "draft guru" sites had Chris Taft as the consensus overall number 1 pick. "Who?" you might ask; exactly.
Leolovinliberal
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#9 » by Leolovinliberal » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:53 am

shangrila wrote:He seems less athletic then Fields though.

Based on..........

I'm gonna say that you've actually never seen him play, but this is the interwebs, so you'd just lie about it. KT is very athletic, very.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#10 » by ManualRam » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:09 am

Sonrise wrote:

Based on..........

I'm gonna say that you've actually never seen him play, but this is the interwebs, so you'd just lie about it. KT is very athletic, very.

I'd say based on NBA standards. I wouldn't consider him an above avg athlete at the next level. He does have NBA quality shooting ability, both off the catch n shoot and the pull up off the show and go. Anthony parker's a solid comparison IMO.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#11 » by jman3134 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:47 am

By NBA standards, Klay Thompson is not above average athletically. His strength is- as Manual mentions- shooting off the dribble, or spotting up from the perimeter.
Point-God
Banned User

Post#12 » by Point-God » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:51 pm

I think that Klay Thompson is an above average NBA athlete for his size and position. How can we attempt to make this more than just another opinion? By drawing up comparisons to NBA players when they were his age. JR Smith, Gerald Green and Kobe Bryant entering the NBA were about as athletic as it gets for 6'6" shooting guards. So who are the worst NBA athletes at about that size and position when they were Klay's age? Anthony Morrow, Evan Turner, and Michael Redd. That's not even factoring in all of the veteran players in the NBA that aren't as athletic as Klay Thompson is today like Tracy McGrady, Vince Carter, Caron Butler, Raja Bell, Quentin Richardson, Jerry Stackhouse, and Ray Allen.

Klay Thompson is at the very least as athletic as John Salmon's was at the same age. What Klay Thompson has working in his favor as a NBA prospect is that he is an above average athlete as a 6'5"+ sharpshooter who can also put the ball on the floor, which is rare to find.
EddieJonesFan
Starter
And1: 438

Post#13 » by EddieJonesFan » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:19 pm

Point-God wrote:I have been following college drafts for quite a long time and Klay Thompson is the most underrated prospect that I can remember. A 6'6" shooting guard with high production, a handle, athleticism, good floor vision and a perfect shooting form should at least be in 1st round conversation. He has lottery pick talent IMO. The fact that no one on realgm is talking about him confirms that most people just repeat the perspective the major draft websites give them instead of going with their own evaluations of prospects. Klay Thompson compares to NBA shooting guards like Kevin Martin, Allen Houston, Eddie Jones, and Anthony Parker. Also, his father is former 1978 #1 overall pick Mychal Thompson.

Why are you blaming people for relying on draft sites? What, do you expect them to extensively watch every single prospect in the draft?
Point-God
Banned User

Post#14 » by Point-God » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:39 pm

Well at least several months later he is universally considered a 1st round prospect.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,425

Post#15 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:59 pm

I think he definitely goes lottery.

I said it in the other thread, and people are going to call me Charlie Sheen crazy, but I think he could make a massive leap, go as high as 5th, although I think he winds up between 10th and 14th realistically.

I don't know how you could watch this guy and say he's not athletic either.

He's no top athletic freak, but he's above average by NBA standards.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
King d
Banned User
And1: 40

Post#16 » by King d » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:41 pm

Underrated?

He is projected pick 13 in nbadraft.net and pick 18 in draftexpress.com

I wouldn't call that underrated
Point-God
Banned User

Post#17 » by Point-God » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:45 pm

King d wrote:Underrated?

He is projected pick 13 in nbadraft.net and pick 18 in draftexpress.com

I wouldn't call that underrated

Look at the date of when this thread was originally made then slap yourself.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,515

Post#18 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:58 am

He'll be a role player, but a very good one. SFs who can hit 3s with athleticism to defend and are smart are not in abundance. Should be able to log SG minutes too.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,425

Post#19 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:12 am

He's primarily a shooting guard now...
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#20 » by shangrila » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:40 am

Sonrise wrote:

Based on..........

"I don't agree with you so you don't know what you're talking about". What an original argument.

By NBA standards the guy is no athlete. That's clear enough just by watching him. Now, do I think he'll suck? No, he's got a chance to be a good role playing starter, but he's no star either.

To me, he seems like James Anderson. Efficient shooter, got to the line in college, isn't a good defender. These guys get drafted in the middle of the first. IF he goes higher it speaks more to the weakness of this draft than him as a prospect.

Return to NBA Draft