Welcome To The New RealGM - A Message From CEO Ryan Hoak

Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,644

Welcome To The New RealGM - A Message From CEO Ryan Hoak 

Post#1 » by Howard Mass » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:39 am

RealGM Users,

It is an exciting day for us here at RealGM with the launch of our new site that has been more than two years in the making.

We have not only upgraded several sections of the site but added many more sections with great statistical information.

Here is a message from RealGM CEO Ryan Hoak about the changes that have come to RealGM.

http://basketball.realgm.com/article/21 ... New_RealGM

We hope that all of you enjoy the new RealGM.com
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Re: Welcome To The New RealGM- A Message From CEO Ryan Hoak 

Post#2 » by LittleOzzy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:37 pm

BigBuddha wrote:FIX THE FORUMs

Always nice when you put in two years of hard work and the first comment is a negative one about the forums.
NYman15
Veteran
And1: 23

Post#3 » by NYman15 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:41 pm

It looks great
Imadogg
Banned User
And1: 250

Post#4 » by Imadogg » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:49 pm

I was freakin out, nice work
unklchuk
Head Coach
And1: 94

Post#5 » by unklchuk » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:50 pm

LittleOzzy wrote:

Always nice when you put in two years of hard work and the first comment is a negative one about the forums.

Even if you meant that with humor, I believe you'd be better off welcoming that type of comment as useful. They point fingers at what you need to see, and where future efforts need to go. That's valuable.

If your validation has to come from a wide assortment of casual visitors to this site, you're set up for discouragement. The work, and what you know about it, is its own reward.

At least, that's my view.
AFAIK, IDKM
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,418

Post#6 » by KnicksGod » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:57 pm

Can you or anyone be more specific about what needs fixing?
CRACKSMATIC
Starter
And1: 2

Post#7 » by CRACKSMATIC » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:03 pm

i like the old main page better but the new one isn't bad either. ill probably like it better once i get used to it.... kinda like how when facebook changes i always hate it at first but then i learn to like it.

deffinitly good how it has the stats and league leaders at the bottom
YFZblu
Assistant Coach
And1: 412

Post#8 » by YFZblu » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:28 pm

NYman15 wrote:It looks great
vjkid
Pro Prospect
And1: 290

Re: Welcome To The New RealGM - A Message From CEO Ryan Hoak 

Post#9 » by vjkid » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:34 pm

Lovin it, logos updated, easier acess to the forums, can see an individual teams headlines, great job by realgm to improve their site
Gremz
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,142

Post#10 » by Gremz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:49 pm

Turns out I write articles now. First one is on Geese.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#11 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:51 pm

Permban that twirlz kid.
fudgie
RealGM
And1: 701

Post#12 » by fudgie » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:51 pm

KnicksGod wrote:

Search function.
I'd always thought of propane as a dignified lady. But she can also be a dirty girl.
LithuanianOne
Pro Prospect
And1: 31

Post#13 » by LithuanianOne » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:51 pm

vjkid wrote:Lovin it, logos updated, easier acess to the forums, can see an individual teams headlines, great job by realgm to improve their site

YFZblu wrote:
NYman15 wrote:It looks great

This.
knicksfan5494 wrote:ANd by NO means are Monroe and Cousins better than Fields. Wall probably, though.
N4U|Redux
RealGM
And1: 14

Post#14 » by N4U|Redux » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:58 pm

LittleOzzy wrote:

Does even 10% of the traffic to this site come from people looking at the news and statistics or the forum?

As far as I'm concerned I'll read the wiretap but other than that I leave the site for news, commentary and statistics.

I'm with the OP fix the forums by providing better features, such as the aforementioned search and drop phpBB.
"If I help get South Florida into the tournament, then 20 years from now when South Florida is ranked No. 1 in the country, people will look at the history and say, 'Dominique Jones started that program.'"
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Post#15 » by LittleOzzy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:03 pm

N4U|Redux wrote:
LittleOzzy wrote:

Does even 10% of the traffic to this site come from people looking at the news and statistics or the forum?

As far as I'm concerned I'll read the wiretap but other than that I leave the site for news, commentary and statistics.

I'm with the OP fix the forums by providing better features, such as the aforementioned search and drop phpBB.

Oh I agree with you. It's just comes across a lot better when you explain what needs to be fixed instead of just complaining that it sucks.

Screaming out to fix the forums helps the site admins in no way, you know what I mean?
PanicBeats
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#16 » by PanicBeats » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:06 pm

A lot of butt kissing slurping in this thread.
dream34
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 342

Post#17 » by dream34 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:16 pm

N4U|Redux wrote:
LittleOzzy wrote:

You seriously don't come to RealGM for basketball news? That's sad to hear. The new improvements to the site: statistics, scores, transaction information, etc. were not big draws to RealGM in the past obviously, but are now a core part of the site.

Please list out improvements you think the forums need, along with reasoning behind your ideas.
KingoftheCastle
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#18 » by KingoftheCastle » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:27 pm

KnicksGod wrote:

Myself, I still get spyware/virus warnings some times when browsing the forums.
RickyDizzle
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,101

Post#19 » by RickyDizzle » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:38 pm

You seriously don't come to RealGM for basketball news? That's sad to hear. The new improvements to the site: statistics, scores, transaction information, etc. were not big draws to RealGM in the past obviously, but are now a core part of the site.

Please list out improvements you think the forums need, along with reasoning behind your ideas.

No offense, but as to the question the other poster posed... I would be shocked if more than 10% of the people on the site come for other reasons than the forums. There are many many other sites to visit for basketball news that break news faster and generally have better writers and people that are actually plugged into NBA circles. The news on this site seems to be someone reacting to the news from other sites at the same time I am and then posting it here a day later.

I'd come here for basketball news if every article on the wiretap wasnt something I had already read 24-48 hours previously on other sites. Since thats not the case, I skip right past the wiretap and all other features and find the forums button.

The search feature on the forums is garbage, other than that I do love the forums and will still visit your site for them, but dont plan to use any of the new features you are trying to market.

Good luck in the success of the new features, I mean that sincerely, but personally I feel RealGM offers nothing in terms of basketball news that I can't read elsewhere 24 hours earlier. My advice (been a member for a few years, read the site even longer) is that if you want to gain hits for people looking for basketball news you need to actually have some beat writers or other people more plugged into the NBA that can break stories. Otherwise you are just rehashing news that people already get elsewhere...

Dizzy
Gold Chain
RealGM
And1: 161

Post#20 » by Gold Chain » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:45 pm

I would like to have the ability to PM posters on here.

Other than that, it's a good site, good work.

Return to Global Announcements