Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Target center renovations 

Post#1 » by cpfsf » Tue Feb 1, 2011 2:49 am

http://www.valleynewslive.com/Global/story.asp?S=13943340

The Minnesota Timberwolves and the City of Minneapolis say they have a plan to renovate the aging Target Center. Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak, City Council President Barbara Johnson and Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor will hold a news conference on Tuesday to announce what they call "a sensible, sustainable Minnesota solution for renovating" the 21-year-old arena. The Timberwolves say the proposal will cost "considerably less" than replacing the building and will extend its viability for another two decades. Specific details on the plan were not immediately available. Target Center is the fourth-oldest arena in the NBA. The announcement comes as the Minnesota Vikings are lobbying state leaders for a new football stadium.

I thought they just went through renovation. Maybe what seems like months for me is really years just passing by. Excuse me while I play with my Dreamcast.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNuC7dsjywM[/youtube]

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,230

Re: Target center renovations 

Post#2 » by Calinks » Tue Feb 1, 2011 2:53 am

Man.. I was hoping for a new arena down the line... in Saint Paul...
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
jade_hippo
Starter
And1: 135

Post#3 » by jade_hippo » Tue Feb 1, 2011 3:03 am

its been something like 9 years since they redid the place I think. Around the Sam/Spre year was when they got the new scoreboard
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,230

Post#4 » by Calinks » Tue Feb 1, 2011 3:19 am

Nine years? Hell no, it had to have been more like 3-5. They added the new seats and pine tree design. I want to say it was around 2006-2007
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#5 » by cpfsf » Tue Feb 1, 2011 3:28 am

Opened in 1990, Target Center underwent a major renovation in 2004, when all seats were replaced and capacity was increased. The floor is one of only two moveable floors in the country, according to the arena Web site.

In September 2009, the TC got a green roof. Not really the renovation everyone's talking about, but it's something.

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#6 » by The J Rocka » Tue Feb 1, 2011 3:32 am

Think it was right before the 04-05 season started when they took out the maroon seats & changed the scoreboard. Other than that, it needs that new feel to it, the Ikea look meets professional classy basketball. Personally, they need to take back control of the old NBA City space & have it a "Wolves Restaurant" that includes a team shop. The store on the main floor is somewhat hidden & doesn't look welcoming.
jade_hippo
Starter
And1: 135

Post#7 » by jade_hippo » Tue Feb 1, 2011 3:41 am

isn't the new court like 3 years old already?
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#8 » by SO_MONEY » Tue Feb 1, 2011 4:46 am

Any structural design people out there? The way the article reads it implies an open concourse feel...is this even possible?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,824

Post#9 » by Klomp » Tue Feb 1, 2011 6:30 am

SO_MONEY wrote:Any structural design people out there? The way the article reads it implies an open concourse feel...is this even possible?

It does? I didn't get that feeling from the article.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 911

Post#10 » by Saltine » Tue Feb 1, 2011 6:52 am

Slightly more info over here;
http://www.startribune.com/local/114982 ... anchO7DiUr

He declined to discuss the details or total cost of the project Monday but said, "The point is to upgrade it before it becomes obsolete."

Improving the fan experience likely will mean having places to eat, better seating and more lavatories, similar to what the Twins have in their new fan-friendly ballpark, Rybak said. It also might mean a new entrance to replace one that now looks like a lot of concrete, he said.

"We're looking for the environment to be fresher and newer," Taylor said.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#11 » by urinesane » Tue Feb 1, 2011 6:56 am

They need to change the lighting so the crowd is dark like the Lakers. Fake it till you make it baby!
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#12 » by C.lupus » Tue Feb 1, 2011 1:59 pm

I'm glad they are going this route. Building new stadiums and arenas every 20 years is absolutely insane. There's a lot you can do in renovation to freshen up a bulding.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#13 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Feb 1, 2011 2:31 pm

C.lupus wrote:I'm glad they are going this route. Building new stadiums and arenas every 20 years is absolutely insane. There's a lot you can do in renovation to freshen up a bulding.

a few hot tubs wouldn't hurt. Why sit on an uncomfortable seat when you can sit in a hot tub, drinking beers, watching the wolves. That'd be aok.
UK-Wolf
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#14 » by UK-Wolf » Tue Feb 1, 2011 5:33 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:
C.lupus wrote:I'm glad they are going this route. Building new stadiums and arenas every 20 years is absolutely insane. There's a lot you can do in renovation to freshen up a bulding.

a few hot tubs wouldn't hurt. Why sit on an uncomfortable seat when you can sit in a hot tub, drinking beers, watching the wolves. That'd be aok.

:lol:

By the time I make it to Target Center I expect the same.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#15 » by Mattya » Tue Feb 1, 2011 7:30 pm

Go to http://www.targetcenterrenovation.org/ all the plans look really nice. A food court, updated entrance, restaurant looking over the wolves and twins, I think it's gonna look really nice.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,455

Post#16 » by Foye » Tue Feb 1, 2011 7:37 pm

UK-Wolf wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:

:lol:

By the time I make it to Target Center I expect the same.

Well, tell me when you make it. I need to make it as well. Lets contact David Stern to arrange a Timberwolves regular season game in Europe.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Klomp » Tue Feb 1, 2011 7:47 pm

The Target Center renovation will cost approximately one-half as much as TCF Stadium, less than one-third as much as Target Field, less than one-sixth as much as the proposed Vikings stadium and one-third as much as a new Target Center. The main reason for this is because we are taking advantage of the existing building and infrastructure. We are able to continue to use the foundation and other building materials that currently comprise Target Center, instead of having to find a new location or tear down an existing building.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

LOBO 7
Bench Warmer
And1: 49

Post#18 » by LOBO 7 » Tue Feb 1, 2011 7:53 pm

Klomp wrote:
The Target Center renovation will cost approximately one-half as much as TCF Stadium, less than one-third as much as Target Field, less than one-sixth as much as the proposed Vikings stadium and one-third as much as a new Target Center. The main reason for this is because we are taking advantage of the existing building and infrastructure. We are able to continue to use the foundation and other building materials that currently comprise Target Center, instead of having to find a new location or tear down an existing building.

Hmm, one-third as much as a new Target Center? That sounds like a pretty big project. I hope they completely remodel the exterior also, that is one of the ugliest buildings I have ever seen. Has there been any mention of when these renovations will take place?

Either way, good news.
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#19 » by Esohny » Tue Feb 1, 2011 7:54 pm

Klomp wrote:

Still pretty spendy. I'm glad they're not going crazy and trying to get a new building, especially since the Target Center is in a great spot.

Hopefully they improve the acoustics so that concerts sounds better.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Klomp » Tue Feb 1, 2011 7:55 pm

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves