ImageImageImageImageImage

DRAFT THREAD part II: Come Together.... Right Now....

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Lone Star
Junior
And1: 51

DRAFT THREAD part II: Come Together.... Right Now.... 

Post#1 » by Lone Star » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:03 pm

I'm hoping the Warriors have a chance at Reggie Jackson in round 2. I'm liking him as a good 3rd guard to fit into a rotation with Curry and Monta. Jackson is kind of a combo like both of them, but has potential to be a good perimeter defender.

This draft really depends on what the Warriors plan to do with Monta. I wouldn't feel the same way about Jackson if the Warriors were going away from a small backcourt, but if they are still going with it then Jackson makes a lot of sense. I like Klay as well, I said a couple weeks ago that he reminds me of Reggie Miller, you can't underestimate the pressure that having two assasins behind the arc in Curry and Klay will place on opposing defenses, but I would only pick Klay if Monta were being moved.

If Monta stays then give me Bismack or Donatas and then Jackson, Leslie, Selby or Lauer in round 2.

If Monta goes, then give me Klay or Burks depending on who is available and then Jeremy Tyler (worth the risk in rd 2), or Selby (who will be a 2nd round steal).
DLeagueAllStars
Head Coach
And1: 246

Re: DRAFT THREAD: Could it be I'm falling in love? 

Post#2 » by DLeagueAllStars » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:13 pm

Selby and Tyler wont be there in round two.. I also heard the Warriors are VERY interested in Minn's 20th pick as Kahn doesnt want to have that many rookies around with Rubio comming on board.

Not sure how we would obtain this pick, but there we would be able to great a nice lil player who could compliment the team well.. Maybe then grab Selby or reach or Tyler.. but I also like the Center from USC or Donatas... So could be a very interesting week

also if for some reason Bismark and Marcus Morris are off the board, I would take Klay as he would be a great back up behind Ellis and Wright. I know we still need more of a combo G to back up Curry and Ellis, but if you get someone like Klay who is big enough, then we could play Ellis less minutes at the 2 and let him play a lil one and trying and bring is minutes down with more depth on the team
Daminger
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Daminger » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:19 pm

Assuming Monta goes, Klay wouldnt be too bad, depending upon who's left on the board. I still believe Burks has more star potential and we can get someone that's just a shooter through FA (Jrich?). Burks can also handle the rock and pass some which makes him attractive for setting up Curry as a shooter since Jackson stated he doesnt want to hold back Curry's scoring abilities. If Monta stays we should go the Singleton/Bismack route.

Also, I'd love if we can get Malcolm Lee in the 2nd. Being in LA and following the Bruins...Lee is a rangy defender who actually was one of the few athletic, penetrating guards we had on the squad.

Any word on Kirilenko's FA status? He would definitely be something we could use and will likely go for less than his mega contract that he was on. I keep reading that he's on the outs with Utah and they're looking to replace him with their draft picks (possibly Singleton, if we dont grab him). Would love to grab Andrei, if possible.
killacalijatt
General Manager
And1: 1,708

Post#4 » by killacalijatt » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:36 pm

Lets Draft Klay just to piss off Knicks fans lol always fun seeing the boos
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Post#5 » by Coxy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:45 pm

killacalijatt wrote:Lets Draft Klay just to piss off Knicks fans lol always fun seeing the boos

Remember when the Knicks board melted down after we took Curry in the draft? They honestly thought we only selected him because Nellie wanted to annoy the crap out of the Knicks org. Hilarious stuff.
Daminger
Sophomore

Post#6 » by Daminger » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:30 pm

Ok just watched video of Biyombo's Nike Hoop Summit performance...

DRAFT HIM NOW!

Dude is agile and quick. On O he can run the floor and finish in transition (who was our last big that would run - and finish - in transition?). He also can help create breaks with his shot blocking. We need this dude...the finer points that will turn him into a true star can be worked on over time (half court fluidity, touch and free throw shooting).

I dont think its far fetched to think he can contribute this year...we just cant expect him to be a star right away. Then again...he would be the 11th pick so its not like we're gambling a top 3 pick on the guy.
r8rrich12
Junior
And1: 2

Post#7 » by r8rrich12 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:55 pm

Yea, I made a similar post a couple weeks ago... not sure how much stock I'd put in an exhibition like the Summit, where the US players (a lot of next year's draft lottery class) were constantly denied at the basket. If he stomped members of a superior draft class, could it propel his stock in this year's draft? The individual workouts really put a light for how raw he is on offense and has caused his stock to drop, so he might slip to 11. But if you liked his defense before the workout; you're still a fan after the workout. It would be fun to see Udoh/Biyombo on the floor @ the same time.

If the FO sees Biyombo's defensive skill as on-par with that of a young Dwight, who could provide immediate change the defensive culture of the team, getting him at 11 would be a steal and his offensive game shouldn't deter them too much for making that decision, as it would be allowed to develop over time.
3-Ball Corner Pocket
don nelson
Head Coach
And1: 3

Post#8 » by don nelson » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:16 pm

Daminger wrote:Ok just watched video of Biyombo's Nike Hoop Summit performance...

DRAFT HIM NOW!

Dude is agile and quick. On O he can run the floor and finish in transition (who was our last big that would run - and finish - in transition?). He also can help create breaks with his shot blocking. We need this dude...the finer points that will turn him into a true star can be worked on over time (half court fluidity, touch and free throw shooting).

I dont think its far fetched to think he can contribute this year...we just cant expect him to be a star right away. Then again...he would be the 11th pick so its not like we're gambling a top 3 pick on the guy.

After Biyombo performed so poorly in his recent Italian workout in front of a number of NBA executives, he is not going to be invited to be in the green room on draft night which usually includes the top 15-16 draftees. Bismack reportedly air balled about 80% of his layup attempts in this recent workout and his agent is now offering to workout for teams here in an attempt to do some damage control. Teams now know Biyombo's offensive game is limited to only dunks which can be totally neutralized by fouling him extremely hard. Bismack is such a free throw liability that Andris Biedrins will look like a free throw making machine compared to Biyombo. If the Warriors did draft Biyombo the team might as well hold his introductory press conference in Reno since he will definitely spend next year in the d league practicing layups and free throws.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,730

Post#9 » by gswhoops » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:16 pm

^^ He performed badly playing 1 on 0, shooting jump shots and dribbling. Anyone who's seen him play real 5v5 ball knows that's not his game.
r8rrich12
Junior
And1: 2

Post#10 » by r8rrich12 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:21 pm

The real assessment should be whether or not he could be an impact as an All-NBA Defensive Center or not. Whether he can hit jump shots and lay-ups should be considered gravy, if his defense is really what it's cracked up to be. I have my reservations on that part of it... could just be another Udoh that goes for the block so much that it leaves him out of position to rebound at a decent clip... that would not be a recipe for playoffs... but with all the penetration that the guards allow, Biyombo would be a nice goalie to have on our side.

Keep in mind (some more pimping), Chris Singleton is just as big as Biyombo and able to guard out to the perimeter to cause havoc. It might be wise to go with versatility if the W's really plan on a postseason run. We already have a Biyombo with Udoh.
3-Ball Corner Pocket
Daminger
Sophomore

Post#11 » by Daminger » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:48 pm

I think those who like Biyombo are not putting much stock into his workout (albeit a bad one). He was asked to do things that are known weaknesses of his and are the reason why he's being considered at #11 vs. #1 overall. Let's get it straight, he's not Kevin Garnett BUT if he can slowly develop the O part of his game then we've scored. The fact that he tried that spin move and can finish strong in traffic are all positive signs to go along with being fairly quick for his size. All tools that can help him become better offensively. Again, he has a ways to go but there are some things to build upon that should be also helped by his reported good work ethic (not to mention his sharp progression within foreign leagues).

His D seems to be NBA ready now (ACB is a top league) and he seems to be a good rebounder as well. It would be terrific to be able to have someone OTHER than Udoh providing a defensive presence and only will help Biyombo's transition.

if anything the workout helped us out by bumping him down to make him more available by the time we're on the clock. His agent is doing his job by trying to schedule workouts to ensure his client gets selected at the highest slot possible. No real news there.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Re: DRAFT THREAD part II: Come Together.... Right Now.... 

Post#12 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:47 pm

I don't know man, I want to believe but he looks like a smaller Thabeet to me. His offense is so atrocious that we would be going 4 on 5 on the offensive side of the ball. His defense would have to be outstandingly good in order to make up for that.

Plus he's athletic and long, probably strong, but not beefy at all. And he's pretty new to the game - some may see that as big upside but I see that as starting the 100 yard dash 10 yards behind the other guys.

Are we gauging him as a DPOY candidate during his rookie contract? If not he is a second round choice in my eyes.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#13 » by FNQ » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:10 pm

The reason why people are so down on Thabeet is not because of his offense, but because he can't board and isnt quick enough to be a legitimate help defender. He just all around sucks, but he's really freaking tall.

Bitchsmack, from what I've seen, is more like an offensively challenged Serge Ibaka.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,237

Post#14 » by Onus » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:26 pm

Biyombo - a better rebounding Joel Anthony? maybe even better offensively at some point? seems more explosive and longer.

At 11 you just want someone that will make an impact and hopefully stay on the team. For the warriors he provides two impact skills, rebounding and defense. Everything on top of that is butter
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Daminger
Sophomore

Post#15 » by Daminger » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:48 pm

He seems like a better rebounder than Udoh and I think his wingspan/length would help us a lot just in terms of post-defense and generating interior steals (something we're lacking as well). I think its understated that we have zero length inside to deflect interior passes and challenge shots. This breakdown does a decent job of describing this:

http://thepaintedarea.blogspot.com/2011 ... spect.html

People want to compare Biyombo to Big Ben but I've never seen Ben try to make a spin move on the block or finish over/through defenders in the paint after an O-board.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,216

Post#16 » by EvanZ » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:25 pm

r8rrich12 wrote:... could just be another Udoh that goes for the block so much that it leaves him out of position to rebound at a decent clip...

You mean another guy who plays actual defense instead of waiting for other guys to do it and pick up their rebounds like David Lee?

Note that when Udoh was in there, we actually had a decent defensive rating (104.6). When he wasn't in there, we were horrible (112.4).

A 104.6 DRTG would have placed us right in between LA and Dallas this season. Not saying we would have that for a full season, but to actually criticize a guy who is already our best defensive player by a mile seems pretty awkward to me.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
killacalijatt
General Manager

Post#18 » by killacalijatt » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:42 am

Yeah I think Warriors take Klay with the #11 Id like to make a trade and aquire Singleton also but reality is aint gonna happen.Maybe Wrong for Sixers pick

For those critics that say he aint athletic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmc14Vi8 ... re=related

Beast Mode
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djehTM-u ... re=related

taking him at 14 is too early I say take Bismack or Jimmer at 11 tell Indy to take Klay at 15

Beans, #11-Bismack or Freddette
for
#15-Klay THompson, Daughty Jones

Warriors save 7mill **** id even do Bell we still unload 4mill giving us around 11mill in free agency

Or with the Suns

#11 Jimmer, Bell
for
#13 Klay, Robin Lopez

Save 2mill take a shot on Robin
killacalijatt
General Manager

Post#19 » by killacalijatt » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:53 am

The more I look deeply into this draft the more I like it some solid role players in there.

Id be happy with
Bismack
Klay
Singleton
Marcus Morris
and if there Kawhi

cant wait for the draft
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 830

Post#20 » by marthafokker » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:16 am

What I worry about Bismack and Beanbag together.

Beanbag... Lets foul the hell out of him.

Coach puts Bismack to let Beanbag rest from the FT line.
Oh, even more trip from the FT line.

Coach benches both Bismack and Beanbag and defers to SMALL BALL.

Is that what we really want?
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.

Return to Golden State Warriors