Izmir Cup (11-13 August) GER+SER+TUR+UKR

Moderator: THE J0KER

Blame Turk
Senior
And1: 0

Izmir Cup (11-13 August) GER+SER+TUR+UKR 

Post#1 » by Blame Turk » Sun Aug 7, 2011 9:35 pm

Preparation tournament for the Euro Cup will be held in Izmir, Turkey starting 11th of August. For those of you missing games, you may find this tournament entertaining. There will be three top teams plus a young Ukrainian team.

Teams:
Turkey (A) (Hedo...)
Germany (C) (Dirk...)
Serbia (C) (Teodosic...)
Ukraine (D) (Mike Fratello as coach)

TV: CNN TURK

Schedule (Local Turkish hrs - GMT +2 or 3?):
11.08.2011 Thursday
18:00 GER – SER
20:30 TUR – UKR

12.08.2011 Friday
18:00 SER - UKR
20:30 GER - TUR

13.08.2011 Saturday
15:30 UKR - GER
18:00 TUR – SER

Enjoy!
"I certainly can't have an opinion because David Stern, like a lot of leaders we've seen in this world lately, don't really tolerate other people's opinions or free speech or anything."
Stan the Magnificent
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,112

Re: Izmir Cup (11-13 August) GER+SER+TUR+UKR 

Post#2 » by AdamTheGreek » Mon Aug 8, 2011 2:26 am

I've kept my eye on this tourney for a while. This is probably the best preseason tourney you'll see. Hopefully the streams won't be too tough to find.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
styLesdavis
Rookie
And1: 540

Post#3 » by styLesdavis » Mon Aug 8, 2011 9:36 am

Germany will not be that kind of a top team during this preseason tournament since Dirk and Kaman will not join the team before the "Supercup" in Bamberg a week later (Germany, Turkey, Greece, Belgium).
Stretch82
Veteran
And1: 5

Post#4 » by Stretch82 » Mon Aug 8, 2011 10:43 am

Don't know what to expect. Turkey usually plays crappy in test matches and I don't think we'll see much of their zone defense which made them so strong in the World Championships last year. Nowitzki and Kaman not playing is kinda sad, so Ohlbrecht will have to step. He played well against Finland (Germany lost), will have a hard time against tougher big men.
Blame Turk
Senior

Post#5 » by Blame Turk » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:38 pm

live game link for Turkey - Ukraine game (it is on CNN Turk's official website, so I shared the link):

http://video.cnnturk.com/canli-yayin
"I certainly can't have an opinion because David Stern, like a lot of leaders we've seen in this world lately, don't really tolerate other people's opinions or free speech or anything."
Stan the Magnificent
AdamTheGreek
RealGM

Post#6 » by AdamTheGreek » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:41 pm

Very fun overtime game. Ukraine should get out of Group D if Steve Burtt does well.
Stretch82
Veteran

Post#7 » by Stretch82 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:48 pm

Everything looked forced, no fluent play. But out of the four teams Germany looked the most promising. They are able to play good defense and the offense will mainly go through Dirk once he joins the team.
Sundamental
Senior

Post#8 » by Sundamental » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:43 pm

Great to be able to watch some basketball. Boths teams looked ragged. Was this their first games?

Going to fill up on these type of games as I'm fearful there will be no NBA this year. Hope I'm wrong.

Does anyone know if replays are available of the games as I'm likely going to miss the next two days. I can't find any on CNN Turk.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM

Post#9 » by AdamTheGreek » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:14 pm

Serbia was only up 1 on Ukraine at halftime before the Serbs just destroyed them 83-57.
Blame Turk
Senior

Post#10 » by Blame Turk » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:28 pm

where did you watch the early games? i could not catch the first games of the last two days because they were not on CNN Turk...
Stan the Magnificent
Stretch82
Veteran

Post#11 » by Stretch82 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:41 pm

Without Asik and Erden Turkey is not able to defend the paint.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM

Post#12 » by AdamTheGreek » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:30 pm

Germany played a phenomenal game. Pleiss, Schaffartzik, Benzing, Hamann, and Olbrecht were all fabulous.

Turkey's defense was bad everywhere. In the paint (though Kanter did pretty good), couldn't stop the fastbreak, and they never thought of running the Germans off the 3-point line.

Germany's ball movement and speed were just too much.
Stretch82
Veteran

Post#13 » by Stretch82 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:26 pm

Hedo is so unbelievably out of shape. Well .. he was yelling at one of the refs and close to the end of the game he walked off to the locker room - clearly pissed (with himself I hope). So i guess he at least still cares. Ilyasova was underwhelming as well. Plus the playmaking was pretty much nonexistant. I expect the defense to get better once Asik/Erden join the team and things get competitive. But the offense looked really crippled which worries me the most.
Blame Turk
Senior

Post#14 » by Blame Turk » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:48 pm

I noticed that the non-Turkish members of Turkey team plays terribly. I don't know why they converted those guys (Ersan, Predzic). Nationality conversion should be made for players better than what u have in your country.

Both games were so boring, so terrible in terms of basketball, I can't describe. Turkey lacks inside presence without Okur, Erden and Asik. Ersan is too soft, Oguz is too short, Enes is too slow and young.
Stan the Magnificent
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,557

Post#15 » by El Turco » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:45 am

don't know what you're talking about, Ersan has been the best player on the team last 2 years.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Stretch82
Veteran

Post#16 » by Stretch82 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:03 pm

Turkey vs Serbia just started

http://video.cnnturk.com/canli-yayin
Stretch82
Veteran

Post#17 » by Stretch82 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:41 pm

Serbia looked really really strong. Teodosic was named man of the match and rightfully so. He pulled out some crazy passes and orchestrated their offense to perfection. Their only weak point was not being able to stop Turkey's Prelzic from penetrating the paint on defense. I expect them to reach at least the semis during the Euro championship.

Turkey on the other hand was all over the place. Again they played like crap and the defensive toughness they've shown during the world championship last year was not there. Ilyasova underachieved like he did in the previous two games. Fans expect more from an NBA player. Hedo didn't play due to some minor injury and the other NBA players Asik and Erden will join the team in the next tournament in Germany. Once Turkey's starting lineup from 2010 is complete I expect things to look better. Asik/Erden will take care of the paint and hopefully Hedo will get in shape to run the offense (I know, Orlando fans know this story too well). Prelzic was the only bright spot and proves to be a good addition to the team. Kanter is not ready yet and he often looked lost on the floor not knowing what to do. He seems a bit slow with his first 1-2 steps, but is able to gain considerable speed when running full court. Unfortunately he didn't look very good against Serbia's big men around the rim when he had the chance to score. My biggest concern is the coach. I'm not saying he's bad because I don't know him too well, but players like Hedo need someone to kick their ass on the bench - like SVG and Tanjevic.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM

Post#18 » by AdamTheGreek » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:31 pm

Turkey has the excuse of resting guys today.
Blame Turk
Senior

Post#19 » by Blame Turk » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:40 pm

Averaging 2 points by 10% shooting along with 5 turnovers a game does not make Ersan the best player of the team.

Omer Onan is the best defender and also best in offense nowadays. Hedo is finished, he is like an old man, he got mad to a teammate and left the court while the game was being played. Today he did not want to play, what a jackzz. Enes is very short to play center, and has zero athleticism. He can barely keep up with some of the 4's in NBA only.

Without centers Okur, Semih and Omer Asik, Turkey looks terrible in defense. Its coach does not help either as he does not have a single gameplay set in his book.
Stan the Magnificent
Stretch82
Veteran

Post#20 » by Stretch82 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:09 am

The thing with Ersan is he didn't develop that much in the last couple of years. He was a gritty player who battles for rebounds and knocks down the occasional 3 pt shot back then and he kinda still is. Not much has changed in that regard. He can't create his own shot, he looks bad when he has to finish around the rim and he also doesn't strike me as the smartest player out there.

Return to International Basketball