Quincy Miller

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Quincy Miller 

Post#1 » by DetroitPistons » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:40 am

I really like this kid and think hes a bit underrated. How good can he be? and does anyone have any updates on his injury?
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Re: Quincy Miller 

Post#2 » by ManualRam » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:41 pm

i think he has a lot of work to do on his overall game. he's pretty much an iso heavy scorer with not much of a floor game at all. he COULD be a tremendous scorer in the league, but i think he'll have to tweak the mechanics on his jumper in order to get his shot off effectively and accurately from different situations. right now he's not much of a player without the ball and even when he has the ball, he's not much of a passer. people have compared him to kevin durant because of his combination of height, length and an uncanny ability to put the ball in the hole. i can see that comparison to a degree but i dont think quincy is as good of a shooter at the same stage, maybe off the dribble, but not in catch and shoot situations or from distance.

i'm also not that crazy about his on court demeanor. he's a bit of a clown on the court. hes got a little bit of jr smith in him imo.

he has the potential to be a very good scorer at the next level but i have reservations about his ability to become a winning player because he's such a dribble heavy, iso player who isnt a good playmaker. how good he becomes will depend on his work ethic (which i dont know much of) and how serious he is about improving the rest of his game (basically everything outside of iso scoring off the bounce).
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#3 » by sipclip » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:32 pm

Miller is definitely flying a little under the radar right now. The kid has an incredible amount of talent and his ability to create his own shot reminds me of Melo. Obviously his knee injury is a concern but if he can regain his quickness then he has a chance to be special.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#4 » by ManualRam » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:08 pm

sipclip wrote:Miller is definitely flying a little under the radar right now. The kid has an incredible amount of talent and his ability to create his own shot reminds me of Melo. Obviously his knee injury is a concern but if he can regain his quickness then he has a chance to be special.

he might be able to create his own shot, but not like melo. melo primarily works out of the triple threat. quincy creates his shot primarily off the bounce after a couple of rhythm dribbles.
i'm less concerned about his knee injury. he wasnt a player who was reliant on quickness or explosiveness anyways. his game is more about deception and length.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#5 » by DetroitPistons » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:14 pm

I like the "Durant without the jumpshot" comparison. just watching highlights of him reminds me of KD although i dont think he will be as good. im curious to see how he plays with a college team and if he is willing to playmake rather than just score. he seems to be more humble after his injury so hopefully that will help with his work ethic and improving weak points. he has a lot of potential imo and i think he could average 20 to 25 ppg in the NBA.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#6 » by Kabookalu » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:07 pm

I haven't seen too much of him other than one highlight reel, but he reminds me of his future teammate coming into college, Perry Jones. Looks like he's getting a lot of hype for his skill level at his height but still requires a lot of work.
Read on Twitter
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#7 » by ManualRam » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:25 pm

the difference b/t quincy and PJIII coming into college is that quincy had skill that can translate on the court. quincy looks skilled in games, perry looked skilled on the practice floor.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#8 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:33 am

ManualRam wrote:the difference b/t quincy and PJIII coming into college is that quincy had skill that can translate on the court. quincy looks skilled in games, perry looked skilled on the practice floor.

this
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#9 » by sipclip » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:21 pm

MIller and Jones are nothing alike. He is on a completely different level than Jones when it comes to creating his own shot and attacking fromt he perimeter.
bboyskinnylegs
RealGM
And1: 25,496

Post#10 » by bboyskinnylegs » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:37 pm

what do you guys think of Miller vs Barnes and Gilchrist?
Doormatt
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#11 » by Doormatt » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:05 am

barnes
miller
gilchrist

not entirely sold on gilchrist yet. think hes gonna be good, but not as good as people make him out to be.
#doorgek
theboomking
Sixth Man
And1: 20

Post#12 » by theboomking » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:23 pm

bboyskinnylegs wrote:what do you guys think of Miller vs Barnes and Gilchrist?

I don't like Gilchrist's ball handling or shot, but he will be one of the youngest prospects in the nation and is a truly elite defenderand athlete. Maybe a rich man's Nic Batum?

I think Barnes is going to be a beast this year and in the pro's. Barnes doesn't have an elite first step, but is explosive, and has the innate ability to create a shot whenever he wants it. Barnes is so smooth, and has a very high basketball IQ. I hope the Wizards draft him next year.

Miller looks like he will be good with the ball in his hands, but like manualram said, appears to be an iso heavy player. I also don't like Miller's shot too much. He looks like is shot putting the ball, a bit like Tyreke evans.

If I were drafting, I might go Barnes > Gilchrist > Miller, but I think it will actually be Barnes > Miller > Gilchrist.
chips93
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#13 » by chips93 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:00 am

maybe he just knows the correct thing to say and doesnt practice what he preaches, but this interview was very impressive to me, he sounds a lot more mature than people give him credit for

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Qui ... o-me-3607/

Brian Clifton – CEO of D-One Sports – has watched Miller blossom from obscure prospect to projected future pro and has seen the developmental process as close as anyone. The change in the young star's mindset, Clifton says, was almost instantaneous once he came to grips with the reality of his injury.

“It's his level of maturity and his desire to prepare that has changed. It's all starting to make sense to him,” he says. “It's giving him a greater appreciation for [basketball] and making him take a more business minded approach to the game. He's not sitting around being down about things, he's looking at what he needs to do and he's doing it.”
- from the article

hes also put on 20 lbs of muscle while injured.

i really like his upside, but hes a project right now.
littlerock2277
Rookie
And1: 1,312

Post#14 » by littlerock2277 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:22 am

How is Qunicy Miller's Defence.
JamesNaismith
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#15 » by JamesNaismith » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:56 pm

littlerock2277 wrote:How is Qunicy Miller's Defence.

According to DraftExpress:
Defensively, Miller has all the tools to be excellent, but he doesn't always apply himself, especially when it comes to crashing the glass. That wasn't that much of an issue at this tournament, but it is something we noticed in the past. When motivated, Miller's length, athleticism and instincts make him a significant presence.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz1WBNVHf8c
http://www.draftexpress.com
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#16 » by ManualRam » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:01 am

it's tough to gauge miller's defense at this stage since he hasnt consistently guarded his future nba position (SF). his lateral quickness is not great, but he is fluid and has good length. i think out of all the top SF prospects listed now in 2012 and 2013 mock drafts, miller has the least potential defensively.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,310

Post#17 » by DirtyDez » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:29 pm

His attitude in mixtapes are a turn off but talent is talent. You have to take him in the lottery and surround him with the right people.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
JamesNaismith
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#18 » by JamesNaismith » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:56 pm

DirtyDez wrote:His attitude in mixtapes are a turn off but talent is talent. You have to take him in the lottery and surround him with the right people.

Personally I liked a bit of that swagger he had to himself because it also shows the potential to be a leader and carry a team but yeah obviously no one wants that to get out of hand.....BUT almost every report is that once he had his injury he actually has toned down and became much less cocky and far more appreciate of the game and his talent which is EXCELLENT news should he be able to come back healthy. He's also put on a solid 20pds which is even more to love about his development.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Quincy-Miller-5764/
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#19 » by Kabookalu » Mon Sep 5, 2011 1:39 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubfbLCa-ieU[/youtube]

I've watched this mix at least a couple of times already but I don't remember seeing that play at the 4:05 mark. :o that's sexy.

Read on Twitter
theboomking
Sixth Man
And1: 20

Post#20 » by theboomking » Tue Sep 6, 2011 10:55 pm

That was a great play. The dunk below is stunning. Miller doesn't regularly get up like he does in this video, but if maturity brings this kind of explosiveness on a more regular basis, then, wow...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ_jR16AWUM[/youtube]

Return to NBA Draft