Kevin Seraphin

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

JonathanJoseph
Bench Warmer
And1: 22

Re: Kevin Seraphin 

Post#621 » by JonathanJoseph » Tue Sep 6, 2011 7:37 am

Wow.

I watched the first half thinking that the descriptions were too optimistic, but Seraphin looks like he advanced considerably both physically and mentally. I only watched the first half....the announcer was gushing, saying on separate occasions that Seraphin had a "really, really good" half and that he was a "revelation".

Seraphin showed that while he's far from a finished product, the ceiling is high and he's not far from becoming a potentially very good defensive post player. It was only Nenad Kristic, but Seraphin at times looked like he was bullying him around in the post and there was NOTHING more impressive than Seraphin's pick-n-roll defense. Coach K would have been proud of that execution.

Seraphin confidently knocked down 10-15 foot jumpers and showed good touch from the free throw line. He made one post move where he absolutely bulldozed his defender. He didn't finish the move, but did end up with free throws and the announcer said something like "that's one big young man right there!", and he showed enough touch that there's reason to believe he might even be able to finish those post moves with more seasoning.

After watching Yi in the World Championships last year, I'm hesitant to draw conclusions from non-NBA basketball, but Seraphin could be a contributor sooner than anyone realizes. Very impressive.
Twitter: @jonathanjoseph
le crapaud
Sophomore
And1: 31

Post#622 » by le crapaud » Tue Sep 6, 2011 9:27 am

Kevin was really impressive. As JonathanJoseph said, he is our best defender on pick & roll by far. He knows exactly what he has to do when he's on the floor. He is smart on both ends off the floor, takes opportunities left to him. You can't expect more from a backup center. His energy level is so high...I mean he bangs everybody. You have to keep in mind that he was just selected in french team just to learn in training camp, he wasn't meant to stay and play Euro competition but he forced the issue with his determination, talent and games he played in preparation.

It's nice to see his progression after every game and it's good to know that the french coach is willing to put him on the floor without hesitation. This serbian opposition was just perfect for him, it suited perfectly Kevin's game and skillset. Great to see him delivering that type of performance.
theboomking
Sixth Man
And1: 20

Post#623 » by theboomking » Tue Sep 6, 2011 12:18 pm

[quote="le crapaud"]Kevin was really impressive. As JonathanJoseph said, he is our best defender on pick & roll by far.[quote]

Early in the season last year, Flip said that Kevin was the best help defender on the team. I'm happy to hear about Kevin's improved offense, because if he could become a decent offensive player, we could keep him on the floor more.

I'd love to see how improved our defense would be with Seraphin backing up Dwight Howard. Imagine Singleton, Vesely, and an more seasoned John Wall funneling players into Dwight and Kevin.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#624 » by closg00 » Wed Sep 7, 2011 6:56 pm

France wins yet another close game, this time against Turkey. Kevin with 6 minutes 2pts.
JonathanJoseph
Bench Warmer

Post#625 » by JonathanJoseph » Wed Sep 7, 2011 7:42 pm

Ever since the fourth game Kevin Seraphin has been playing great with a ton of confidence, that jumper is the perfect example
Sebastian Pruiti http://twitter.com/#!/SebastianPruiti/status/111457402771083264

Raise your hand if you expected Kevin Seraphin to be the difference-maker in this Serbia-France game.
John Schuhmann http://twitter.com/#!/johnschuhmann/status/110791281516625921
fugop
Veteran
And1: 9

Post#626 » by fugop » Wed Sep 7, 2011 8:33 pm

Has Seraphin spent any time playing beside Noah, or has it all been at the C?
le crapaud
Sophomore
And1: 31

Post#627 » by le crapaud » Fri Sep 9, 2011 3:27 pm

Seraphin hasn't played with Noah and probably won't. Most of the time he is on the floor with the second unit and plays center only. Sometimes (when he gets 15+ minutes) he is playing alongside Diaw and Parker which help him to develop his game because he puts very solid screens for Tony or gets the ball from Boris. Basically he can shoot every time he has the ball because nobody is going to chase him, that's why he is effective with his jumper from 14/16 feet.

Next game in couple of hours vs Lituania. This one will be very difficult but I think he'll play more than a few minutes because the french coach want to rest his starters and he can do that since France clinched quarterfinals qualification.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#628 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Sep 9, 2011 3:47 pm

theboomking wrote:
le crapaud wrote:Kevin was really impressive. As JonathanJoseph said, he is our best defender on pick & roll by far.

Early in the season last year, Flip said that Kevin was the best help defender on the team. I'm happy to hear about Kevin's improved offense, because if he could become a decent offensive player, we could keep him on the floor more.

I'd love to see how improved our defense would be with Seraphin backing up Dwight Howard. Imagine Singleton, Vesely, and an more seasoned John Wall funneling players into Dwight and Kevin.

The game where Blatche and McGee were suspended I saw the best defense by Wizards bigs all season, and Kevin was a part of it. He is their best positional post defender.I think the Wizards would have had a much better team all around if the Wizards played Seraphin and McGee together for long stretches of the game.

One rebounds offensive boards well and holds position on defense, while the other rebounds defensive boards and is a tremendous shot blocker. McGee would have prevented some of the fouls that Seraphin got and Kevin would have stopped McGee from getting bullied.

Seraphin is a decent player who just needs to avoid fouls. Once the refs see the kid can score on the block and he's an athletic bull of a player, he will be an effective role player.
Bye bye Beal.
Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

Post#629 » by Induveca » Fri Sep 9, 2011 6:21 pm

Seraphin doing a very solid job vs Lithuania defensively thus far. Shutting down the middle forcing Lithuania to take threes. Valanciunas can't do anything against his strength thus far.
closg00
RealGM

Post#630 » by closg00 » Fri Sep 9, 2011 6:26 pm

Damn, anyone else can't get into the ESPN site to see the game? :evil:
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#631 » by fishercob » Fri Sep 9, 2011 6:28 pm

closg, google "live streaming sports". I imagine you'd fine the game somewhere, but can neither confirm nor deny anything beyond that
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Induveca
Head Coach

Post#632 » by Induveca » Fri Sep 9, 2011 7:05 pm

Watching on ESPN3.com as well....no issues.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,300

Post#633 » by dobrojim » Fri Sep 9, 2011 7:18 pm

KS getting minutes for us whenever we start playing again
will depend significantly on his not getting fouls called
on him at an exceedingly high rate.

Glad to hear he is showing some signs. Thanks Kirt.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
closg00
RealGM

Post#634 » by closg00 » Fri Sep 9, 2011 8:10 pm

Didn't get to see the game, anyone have a report?
7-Day Dray
Assistant Coach
And1: 5

Post#635 » by 7-Day Dray » Fri Sep 9, 2011 8:15 pm

closg00 wrote:Didn't get to see the game, anyone have a report?

I heard he barely got any minutes and was a non-factor. He helped push Jonas off the block a couple of times though.
theboomking
Sixth Man
And1: 20

Post#636 » by theboomking » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:15 am

Against Lithuania:
4 minutes 0 pts, 0 reb, 0 ast, 1blk, 1TO, 2PF. Not so awesome.
http://espn.go.com/extra/fiba/europe/bo ... =310912090
7-Day Dray
Assistant Coach

Post#637 » by 7-Day Dray » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:20 pm

He had a nice block on Valanciunas though.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ9FvNe6TAw[/youtube]
7-Day Dray
Assistant Coach

Post#638 » by 7-Day Dray » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:22 pm

Nice windmill dunk by KS during warm-ups.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l49LJ6uYLLY[/youtube]
JonathanJoseph
Bench Warmer

Post#639 » by JonathanJoseph » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:30 pm

It keeps getting better.

Kevin Seraphin absolutely taking it to the Gasol brothers in the 1st half of France/Spain with Joakim Noah and Tony Parker sitting out the game.

14 pts on 6/7FG with 2 Reb in 8 minutes. Would have played more except for foul trouble.
Induveca
Head Coach

Post#640 » by Induveca » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:43 pm

Was a promising stretch, unfortunately for France they are about to lose by 30-35 points with 2 minutes left. Currently 91-58 Spain. Ouch.

I will say though, Seraphin's jumper has been very impressive. He only had 4 points in the second half, but the game was over. Seraphin looks more like a developing PF to me, not really a center.

Return to Washington Wizards