Turris dealt to Ottawa

Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Turris dealt to Ottawa 

Post#1 » by Nolan » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:24 pm

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=382972

The Phoenix Coyotes have traded Turris to the Ottawa Senators.

In return Phoenix receives defenceman David Rundblad and a second round draft pick.

Turris, who was a restricted free agent after last season, was unable to come to terms on a new deal with the Coyotes over the summer and held out for the first six weeks of the season. Turris finally returned to the team after signing a two-year, $2.8 million deal on Nov. 22.

The 22-year-old native of New Westminster, B.C. has appeared in six games for the Coyotes since signing, but has not registered a point. In 65 games last season in Phoenix, Turris posted 11 goals and 14 assists.

Terrible deal for the Sen's in my opinion. If they were looking to move Rundblad i'm sure they could of gotten more than Turris.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Re: Turris dealt to Ottawa 

Post#2 » by Crowned » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:22 pm

That's a lot of value to give up for an unproven player. Ottawa is really banking on his potential, Rundblad had been struggling a bit, but he's got loads of potential himself.

I think Turris has a bunch of talent in him, and can absolutely be an effective player...but I really wonder what the market was for him.
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 58

Post#3 » by OldNo7 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:38 pm

I tweeted that Rundblad will average more points per season over his career than Turris. Maloney killed it in this deal, good on him. He won the battle with Turris and his agent, and won the trade.
Twitter: @NickObergan
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Nolan » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:55 pm

^
Maloney came out of this ordeal looking amazing.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#5 » by BigSlam » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:38 pm

I think we over paid. Lee and a 2nd rounder I would have been ok with but giving up Runblad AND a 2nd was way too much.

Dude has done nothing but underachieved since being in the NHL and proved to be a distraction to the franchise over the summer and for the first 6 weeks of this season.

Turris BETTER really impress with this 2nd chance.

Not only that but now we have a significant logjam at the C spot with Spezz, Turris, Regin, Zach, DaCosta, Foligno, Winchester and Z-Bad. There HAS to be a follow up trade to even out the roster.
B B M F 'ers
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Nolan » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:57 pm

Turris actually had a pretty decent debut, 1 assist, +2 rating, and 7 wins and only 2 losses in the FO circle. He wasn't spectacular but he played well.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#7 » by ajaX82 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:33 am

Man Phoenix is looking at a future top 3 on D of Yandle, Ekman-Larsson and Rundblad. That's pretty damn enviable
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Nolan » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:22 am

ajaX82 wrote:Man Phoenix is looking at a future top 3 on D of Yandle, Ekman-Larsson and Rundblad. That's pretty damn enviable

Add in Brandon Gormley and Maxim Goncharov and that's a very very good looking blue line in a couple years.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#9 » by ajaX82 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:53 am

Nolan wrote:
ajaX82 wrote:Man Phoenix is looking at a future top 3 on D of Yandle, Ekman-Larsson and Rundblad. That's pretty damn enviable

Add in Brandon Gormley and Maxim Goncharov and that's a very very good looking blue line in a couple years.

Wow, I just went to HF and 5 of their top 7 prospects are d-men. Throw in the 3 aforementioned guys and damn...they have a wealth of riches on the backline. Top level d-men are a major commodity and they should be able to trade most of those guys for some solid pieces.

I'd go after one of the young back-up goalies with some of these dudes, like Bernier or Schneider.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Nolan » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:26 pm

^
I don't even think they need to go after a goale. They have Mark Visentin in the minors as well and I really like his future.
UN-Owen
Banned User
And1: 409

Post#11 » by UN-Owen » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:21 pm

Turris posted 26 goals/58 points in 82 games this season and was +22

Runblad, on the other hand, was traded (along with Mathieu Brisebois) to the Blackhawks for a 2nd round pick
HeartBreaking
Starter
And1: 2,313

Post#12 » by HeartBreaking » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:43 am

great pickup
PaulieWal wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:He's going to get fined by the league for that. Marv Albert was actually saying don't do that, don't do that. Meanwhile half the audience was thinking Marv should know.

That's Kevin Harlan.
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#13 » by Wo1verine » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:45 pm

Looking back on this trade, it was an absolute steal for Ottawa.

Turris has emerged as a fantastic two-way player while Rundblad has jumped around and been unable to crack a teams line up on constant basis.
BrunoSkull
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Nolan » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:37 pm

Wo1verine wrote:Looking back on this trade, it was an absolute steal for Ottawa.

Turris has emerged as a fantastic two-way player while Rundblad has jumped around and been unable to crack a teams line up on constant basis.

Agreed. I like so many others was really really high on Rundblad but he really hasn't paned out yet. As for Turris, he's looked great a solid two player and a legit top six forward who's got a chance to really step up and establish himself this year.
UN-Owen
Banned User
And1: 409

Post#15 » by UN-Owen » Thu Nov 5, 2015 2:26 am

I may have been the only one who liked the trade from Ottawa's perspective at the time the deal was made:

viewtopic.php?f=224&t=1145221#start_here

We're only a month or so into the season, but Turris is currently leading the NHL in even strength goals

Return to The General NHL Board