Banned User
And1: 43

Boston should send us THANK YOU letter 

Post#1 » by number15 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:16 am

- Tuuka Rask
- Tyler Seguin
- J. Knight
- 1st rounder (another coming up)

all looks like solid prospects.... their future is set because Toronto gave them the pieces... too bad LEAFS could really use that kind of talent :x

**** Kaberle will bounce back.... dosent hurt as much as the rest because he is past prime and Leafs have better d-men, but he will be good again, count on it
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Re: Boston should send us THANK YOU letter 

Post#2 » by Crowned » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:51 am

Jared Knight won't see a game in the NHL, you can count on that. I've never been overly impressed with his play. When he was drafted, he showed some promise (i.e- 30+ goals, a solid +/-), but I think he regressed this season. If he suddenly improves to the point where he makes the jump into the league, it'll be in a 3rd line role.

Tukka Rask is the most upsetting. The kid has vezina type of potential, and we have nothing to show for it.

It's tough to not have a Seguin type prospect in the system, but I'm thrilled to have Kessel. They play completely different games, but like I've said over and over, you can't judge the deal until Seguin plays a few seasons into the NHL.
sh00n
RealGM
And1: 1,969

Post#3 » by sh00n » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:26 am

I'm not sold on Rask, but not getting Seguin and potentially Ryan Murphy hurts. Especially when all you have to show for it is Phil Kessel. Great scorer, but nowhere near a 2nd and 9th pick in back-to-back drafts.
Support your local artist, kids: http://www.katsenhakeron.com
@katsenhaker0n on the bird app
bryant08
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Post#4 » by bryant08 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:34 pm

sh00n wrote:I'm not sold on Rask, but not getting Seguin and potentially Ryan Murphy hurts. Especially when all you have to show for it is Phil Kessel. Great scorer, but nowhere near a 2nd and 9th pick in back-to-back drafts.

Here we go again :lol:
sh00n
RealGM

Post#5 » by sh00n » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:02 am

bryant08 wrote:
sh00n wrote:I'm not sold on Rask, but not getting Seguin and potentially Ryan Murphy hurts. Especially when all you have to show for it is Phil Kessel. Great scorer, but nowhere near a 2nd and 9th pick in back-to-back drafts.

Here we go again :lol:

Don't even try to say he's worth that. I'm cracking up laughing even thinking of you defending that trade at this point.
bryant08
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Post#6 » by bryant08 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:12 pm

I'm not defending it, just tired of you coming in here to rip on the Leafs in every post.
sh00n
RealGM

Post#7 » by sh00n » Sun Jul 3, 2011 9:14 pm

It's the truth. You must be really fed up of Maple Leafs media if a post on a forum gets you going.
darth_federer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 922

Post#8 » by darth_federer » Mon Jul 4, 2011 4:10 am

Whatever. We got ripped off in the Kessel deal and they got ripped off with the Kaberle trade. Overall they re better off but I ll keep Kessel.

Profanity wrote:This is why I question a Canadian team in our league. it's a govt conspiracy trina to sell all our milk to Russia. They let the raptors participate to not let canadians demand crossing taxes. it will backfire one day.
DatHomieYouHaTe
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,909

Post#9 » by DatHomieYouHaTe » Sat Jul 9, 2011 4:25 am

they ripped us off all over. Smart move! trade your draft picks when you're rebuilding!
kavan
General Manager
And1: 89

Post#10 » by kavan » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:46 pm

We all knew Tyler Segin was going to be a great player but was he going to be better then a Phil Kessel who had a year of NHL under him and proved he could play. I think we may have given up a 1st rounder too much but look at it now Phil is on top of the world and who needed a Goalie when we had Remier and Jonas we not doing too bad but it will hurt if we can take back 2 games vs boston this week coming up FCUK! The OWN us when we play them. I think we got the better bargin but damn are they good!
Raptors, Leafs, Jays. #Toronto
hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Post#11 » by hsb » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:51 pm

kavan wrote:The OWN us when we play them.

The Leafs were 4-2 against Boston last year.
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
kavan
General Manager
And1: 89

Post#12 » by kavan » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:54 pm

They* oops my spelling.

Have we even scored 2 goals against them this year? We got our @$$ handed to us both games. I think in one Tyler even went for a hat trick? Or had atleast 2 goals loll .. It was painful to see!
Raptors, Leafs, Jays. #Toronto
hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Post#13 » by hsb » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:17 pm

Yeah, the second game was rough. He got the hat trick btw.

Oddly enough, the Leafs were at the end of a three games in four days set both times they faced Boston (with Boston having a three day rest before the second game).

Hopefully, the Leafs can even the series with the next two games.
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
UN-Owen
Banned User
And1: 409

Post#14 » by UN-Owen » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:12 am

The thing about the Kessel vs Seguin debate that is never mentioned:

Kessel makes what - 5 or 6 million a season?

Seguin makes what - 1 million or so?

So even if their on-ice impact is perfectly even, the difference in their salaries could have bought the Leafs another top 6 forward
marcwagz
Senior
And1: 193

Post#15 » by marcwagz » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:34 pm

i'm sorry, thats stupid
in a few years at the end of his rookie contract seguins agent will demand at least 4 million, at least
kessel used to have a rookie contract too, but he grew up
UN-Owen
Banned User
And1: 409

Post#16 » by UN-Owen » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:55 am

marcwagz wrote:i'm sorry, thats stupid
in a few years at the end of his rookie contract seguins agent will demand at least 4 million, at least
kessel used to have a rookie contract too, but he grew up

What's stupid?
Nickleman4
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#17 » by Nickleman4 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:19 am

Its so funny that people still talk about the trade, every leaf fan knows that we gave up probably too much to get Kessel, but seeing how hes been producing, I think I would do that trade all over again, hes on pace for over 45 goals, not to shabby if you ask me.
Bein Bous Since 91.
The Duke
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,150

Post#18 » by The Duke » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:55 pm

I still remember when I heard about the final deal.
Was sick then.
Still sick now.
But cant do anything about it.

Oh and... Segins smaller salary would have allowed us to add a top FA to pair with him "now". The fact that his salary will bump up to 5million after his rookie contract is up is besides the point really.
Brew666
Junior
And1: 22

Post#19 » by Brew666 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:04 pm

Meh...we overpaid but what's the point of dwelling on it? The Leafs can win the cup without those 2 players, they just have to build the best club in the league. It sucks giving a divisional rival quality pieces for the future but if we're going to do anything, you're going to have to build a quality club from your first line centre to your 6th D to your goalie. Boston isn't guaranteed anything and Ciarelli has to continue buidling around their young core [Seguin, Rask, Lucic, Marchand, Bergeron, etc] if they want to continue being a top tier team.

We can talk about the what if situations but they're mute b/c we don't know how things would've panned out without those trades. For all we know, Rask could've been given the reins here before he was ready and failed and maybe we don't sign the Monster or give Reimer a chance. Maybe Burke doesn't do the Phaneuf/Aulie trade b/c he's focusing on the future. The fact is, we have a better team w/ Burke in control than we have had in a long time. To be honest, I would've preferred a traditional rebuild through the draft but Burke has made this team much better and I can't deny that.

As for salary cap, I don't find it that much of a concern. The FA class usually has one, maybe 2 players in it worth going for, and they usually get more than they deserve and that contract has the potential of becoming the albatross on your team. Plus Kessel's deal is great value. We have a rocket richard threat on our team for 5.4/year, that's good mgmt IMO.

Not saying we're better off how things panned out but it's not as bad as some might make you believe.
leafsfan89
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#20 » by leafsfan89 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:51 am

^^ agreed

Its ridiculous how people twist that trade... it was never Seguin for Kessel. It was never a 2nd overall pick for Kessel. It was a first rounder and couple of other picks (2nd in 2010, and 1st in 2011) for Kessel. Even if burke said the goal was always to make the playoffs i think the leafs were believing they will be competitive enough to give boston a mid-round pick. If they knew they were going to be "tanking" deliberately or not then I highly doubt burke was going to make that trade. It just so happened that leafs squad was no where near what people hoped it to be with the addition of kessel so boston got a very good return and an early return on that trade. I'm more than happy with Kessel on the leafs, his numbers have been improving every year. Leafs knew what they were getting in Kessel and that was a solid 30 goal scorer with the potential for more. And that's what hes shown. I really hope he can notch 40 this year, that will be the first time in 10 years we've had a 40 goal scorer.
"Yes they deserved to die, and i hope they burn in hell!"

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs