ImageImageImage

Why is Lupul so good this year?

Moderator: Crowned

LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,174

Why is Lupul so good this year? 

Post#1 » by LLJ » Sun Jan 8, 2012 10:35 pm

Seriously, you can't even call it a hot streak anymore, he's probably the main reason the Leafs are so dangerous this year despite mediocre goaltending at best. Kessel this season is great but most people expected him to have a career year at some point during his tenure here.

Some people have said "Oh, Lupul always had ability, but injuries held him back before." I'm not sure. His history would indicate a pretty good player, but not a GREAT one.

I've heard many people try to explain why he's doing so well but I've not been satisfied by any explanations so far. Thoughts?
_venom_
Assistant Coach
And1: 100

Re: Why is Lupul so good this year? 

Post#2 » by _venom_ » Sun Jan 8, 2012 10:55 pm

No idea as to why Lupul has been so successful this year but I hope he keeps it up. I actually think he's been better than Kessel most nights just because he has a physical dimension to his game that Kessel doesn't have. His career high in goals is 28 and his career high in points is 53. He's almost matched the points total and he'll in all likelihood reach the 30 goal mark this year too. He's had injury troubles in the past but I think more than that is that he's probably just dedicated himself this season and something has clicked.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#3 » by J-Roc » Mon Jan 9, 2012 5:57 pm

Every year there are certain players who magically perform really well. In all sports. And you don't know if it's a one season thing, or if it will continue. And it makes no sense why it can last a whole year, but then disappear the next season (like Kulemin). Lupul scored that goal on Jimmy Howard the other night....comes out front on the backhand, Howard just happens to be dropping down to cover the ice, while Lupul is clearly the whole time thinking he wants to raise the puck to the top of the net. There's an element of luck that lasts the whole season.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZV2V5gAqNU[/youtube]

Btw gotta love the Blue Jay presence.
UN-Owen
Banned User
And1: 409

Post#4 » by UN-Owen » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:11 am

He's playing on the top line and 1st powerplay unit

That's a lot of ice time

And obviously he's healthy
Nickleman4
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#5 » by Nickleman4 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:02 pm

I'm gonna have to agree, playing first line minutes, and playing on the powerplay with the likes of Liles, Phaneuf, Kessel, Connelly/Bozak, is a big help, but im gonna have to disagree with the statement that hes been lucky this year. Lupul has been robbed by far to many goalies/ posts this year he should easily have 25 plus goals. Any-who hopefully the buds make the playoffs and make a solid run with the new found dynamic duo of Kessel and Lupul.
GO LEAFS GO
Bein Bous Since 91.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,174

Post#6 » by LLJ » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:14 pm

But you just can't put anybody on the 1st line and expect that he will produce, the guy obviously has to have the ability to take advantage of the opportunities.

And yes, every year there are players that overachieve--scrubs have good years or become good players, but honestly I can't think of many NHL players that went from average players to basically elite players (statistically) after like 6 or 7 years in the league.
Homer Jay
Assistant Coach
And1: 674

Post#7 » by Homer Jay » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:26 pm

LLJ wrote:But you just can't put anybody on the 1st line and expect that he will produce, the guy obviously has to have the ability to take advantage of the opportunities.

And yes, every year there are players that overachieve--scrubs have good years or become good players, but honestly I can't think of many NHL players that went from average players to basically elite players (statistically) after like 6 or 7 years in the league.
\

Martin St. Louis comes to mind.

Lupul has had the talent. Remember once he was traded pretty much straight up for Chris Pronger. He's been hurt a lot and been stuck on tons of third and fourth lines with grinders that could not get him the puck in good spots.
fredericklove
Banned User
And1: 6,398

Post#8 » by fredericklove » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:48 am

He always had talent but his injuries really set him back. He's in his best condition ever but even I felt alittle surprised that he's playing like a top star this year. Dude makes me jealous, he got the skills, got the looks and wealth. Damn son, he's good and congratulate him for his first all star appearance, hope there's more to come.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs