ImageImageImage

Burke ready to deal (various media outlets)

Moderator: Crowned

Should the Leafs make a trade/trades and sacrifice high draft picks/young talent to win now?

Yes! This is their year. Make moves now to make a deep playoff run
50%
No way. This team has a way to go before they're challenging for the Cup
50%

Total votes: 8

Nickleman4
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: Burke ready to deal (various media outlets) 

Post#21 » by Nickleman4 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:00 pm

_venom_ wrote:After watching Schenn live tonight and on TV all season I really wouldn't mind moving him. There's absolutely nothing special about him. I'd say him and Komisarek are very similar skill wise but Schenn is valued because of age and contract. If you can move Schenn for an offensive upgrade you do it. The game winning goal tonight by Pominville shouldn't have happened but Schenn was in no man's land in front of the net instead of denying Pominville the puck. Albeit it was a great pass by Vanek but Schenn needs to be there. His offensive skill is non existent and his defensive game seems to be regressing.

Thats actually a really good comparison for Schenn, but I hope your talking about the Komi thats actually playing well, and as for the pominville goal, it was schenns fault for not tying him up, but it seemed to me that gustavsson was really delayed in shifting over. But hey he made some really nice clutch saves down the stretch. Trade Schenn West if your going to trade him, not one of our Eastern conference rivals.
Bein Bous Since 91.
andyo
Assistant Coach
And1: 447

Post#22 » by andyo » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:26 pm

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=385071

FLYERS' VAN RIEMSDYK OUT INDEFINITELY WITH CONCUSSION

Looks like Schenn won't be moved for JVR anytime soon. However, like I've said before, I'd be surprised if Burke doesn't make a splash by the deadline. I expect Franson, Gardiner, Aulie, or Schenn to be moved soon.
UN-Owen
Banned User
And1: 409

Post#23 » by UN-Owen » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:40 pm

The Leafs have far too much depth on D to pass up a Schenn for JVR deal
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,400

Post#24 » by YogiStewart » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:06 pm

andyo wrote:
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=385071

FLYERS' VAN RIEMSDYK OUT INDEFINITELY WITH CONCUSSION

Looks like Schenn won't be moved for JVR anytime soon. However, like I've said before, I'd be surprised if Burke doesn't make a splash by the deadline. I expect Franson, Gardiner, Aulie, or Schenn to be moved soon.

LOL!
they're not trading Gardiner.
Kadri, Aulie, Franson (if he has value), Schenn, D'Amigo and McKegg would be the suspects.
Nickleman4
Ballboy

Post#25 » by Nickleman4 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:43 pm

I dont know why everyone around here under values Franson dude has been one of our most consistent players since hes been in the line up. I personally like Franson more than Gardiner, He creates more in the offensive zone, and has an absolute rocket from the point. Dont get me wrong I'm probably gonna change my view on this in 2 or 3 years but as of right now I would be shocked If burkie moved Franson before Aulie or Schenn. As for JVR no thank you. A wanna be broken hipped concussed power forward is not what this team needs, we need a proven first line centre, and some PK help. Go leafs Go.
Bein Bous Since 91.
Homer Jay
Assistant Coach
And1: 674

Post#26 » by Homer Jay » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:50 pm

Franson did get the shaft at the start of the year. But he's really emerged since Liles went down.
I think Phanuef, Franson, and Gardiner should be our only keepers of D. Liles is a good rental for now, Aulie is a decent 6/7 guy too match up against big forwards, and Blacker and Percy should add some decent skating and puck movement once they are ready to go.

For what JVR will cost you, it is worth going that little bit extra to get Ryan. Damn I wish we were in on Mike Richards last year.
darth_federer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 922

Post#27 » by darth_federer » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:41 am

These losses only make a trade more likely. You cant miss the playoffs for a 7th straight year.

Profanity wrote:This is why I question a Canadian team in our league. it's a govt conspiracy trina to sell all our milk to Russia. They let the raptors participate to not let canadians demand crossing taxes. it will backfire one day.
Nickleman4
Ballboy

Post#28 » by Nickleman4 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:10 am

Very true, hopefully Burkie works his magic and gets this team what it needs.
Bein Bous Since 91.
HoopAndTheHarm
Pro Prospect
And1: 588

Post#29 » by HoopAndTheHarm » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:31 am

So many people seem to believe the Leafs have great depth on the D. I'd suggest they have a quantity of average D versus quality.
I'd hate to lose Schenn. His development has been badly handled by Wilson, as he is prone to do with virtually all young players. He has the chance to be a solid, physical stay at home D but his confidence has constantly been battered by Wilson. Another coach would have turned this kid into a gem by now and I'd bet that's what will happen if he's dealt.
I've got a belt on that's holding up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up my belt. I don't know what's really happening down there. Who is the real hero? - Mitch Hedberg
Nickleman4
Ballboy

Post#30 » by Nickleman4 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:26 am

Just a question but who in our defence corps isnt a quality D man, Phaneuf=All star, Komisarek=terrible first few years with the buds, but starting to come into his own, Liles=awesome puck moving defenceman, Schenn=good stay at home defenceman/still continuing to grow,Franson=going to be a star kids got so much potential, Gunnarson=Most underrated D man in the league, Aulie/gardiner= too early to tell but both will have long careers in the Nhl. We have a very good blue line which I believe is oozing quality.
Bein Bous Since 91.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#31 » by whysoserious » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:01 pm

YogiStewart wrote:Uh oh.
Toronto fans have heard this before - a GM talking about trading 1st and 2nd round picks so their team can win now.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/01/11/bu ... dy-to-deal

“I’m a January guy,” he reminded “I set my price and try and let my team play through the deadine (without worrying about trades). The math doesn’t work at the deadline when 24 teams are buying. There can only be one (Stanley Cup) parade.”

Burke said the cost could very well be one or more of the young assets in the system or even this year’s first or second rounder.

“I’d say ‘where’s the phone?’,” Burke said of the often risky venture of losing high picks. “They (fans) can live with a gamble.”

these types of transactions have come back to bite the Leafs in the @$$ repeatedly over the last 20 years. the question is: is the team good enough to sacrifice young talent/draft picks in order to pick up 1-2 key players, or should they keep on trying to build?

personally, i think Burke's nuts for wanting to trade away youth/talent (depending on who this talent is) and draft picks. if you're trading for talent, they have salaries that come with them. you have to manage your cap and your assets.

Also, they're freaking SEVENTH in a tight Eastern Conference. They're a 2 game losing streak from finishing out of the playoffs. and does Burke think the Leafs can challenge Boston or the Rangers in the East?

I agree that we've been bitten in the butt quite a bit for making moves like this, but the good thing is a good number of the core on this team is in their prime, entering their prime and we have quite a few solid young assets. If the Leafs can trutly acquire a number one center who is in his prime than I'm all for it. An Erik Staal added to this team to center Kessel and Lupol would be an amazing deal for this team. Yes Staal's contract is horrible but who cares, the guy is in his prime and would make th e team quite formidable.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs