Meyers Leonard Watch....Top 5 bound in 2012?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,486

Re: Meyers Leonard Watch....Top 5 bound in 2012? 

Post#41 » by Dr Positivity » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:51 pm

Some team would definitely take this kid top 6 or 7 if he declares
CalilLove89
Analyst
And1: 613

Post#42 » by CalilLove89 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:45 am

You guys don't really know what is holding this kid back, last year he only played like 5 minutes a game because of foul trouble. He played high school ball in Robinson Il, and never saw anyone close to his size so he had a horrible time adjusting to stronger comparable people his size last year.

This year he has taken a huge step basketball IQ wise, except he jumps on the hint of a pump fake, one of the hardest habits to break.

He has all the offensive skill sets he would ever need in the NBA, lets be honest the center sucks right now in the NBA.

Defensively he gets pushed around but recovers with a blocked shot, no lower body strength, great help defender because of his insane vertical and length

I would say he needs to stay for one more year, but Bruce Weber could be the biggest joke of all time. He has squandered every talent that he has coached since inheriting Bill Self's team, he can't develop anyone. Howard does all the recruiting and is the Heir apparent when Webber is ultimately $hit canned (rejoice).

I think he stays one more year and will be a top 3 college prospect in next years draft, if Weber comes to his senses and calls plays for him next year Illinois could be the best team in the big 10 with Paul, Richardson, Abrams, Leonard
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#43 » by ManualRam » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:33 pm

CalilLove89 wrote:You guys don't really know what is holding this kid back, last year he only played like 5 minutes a game because of foul trouble. He played high school ball in Robinson Il, and never saw anyone close to his size so he had a horrible time adjusting to stronger comparable people his size last year.

This year he has taken a huge step basketball IQ wise, except he jumps on the hint of a pump fake, one of the hardest habits to break.

He has all the offensive skill sets he would ever need in the NBA, lets be honest the center sucks right now in the NBA.

Defensively he gets pushed around but recovers with a blocked shot, no lower body strength, great help defender because of his insane vertical and length

I would say he needs to stay for one more year, but Bruce Weber could be the biggest joke of all time. He has squandered every talent that he has coached since inheriting Bill Self's team, he can't develop anyone. Howard does all the recruiting and is the Heir apparent when Webber is ultimately $hit canned (rejoice).

I think he stays one more year and will be a top 3 college prospect in next years draft, if Weber comes to his senses and calls plays for him next year Illinois could be the best team in the big 10 with Paul, Richardson, Abrams, Leonard

you sound like an illini fan.
i think leonard leaves after this yr. i think he's already top 10 this yr if he goes. if weber is brought back (which i believe he will), that's even more incentive for leonard to leave.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#44 » by EricAnderson » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:40 pm

Sounds a little like Jonathan bender, an athletic 7 footer who plays like a SF
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#45 » by ManualRam » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:59 pm

EricAnderson wrote:Sounds a little like Jonathan bender, an athletic 7 footer who plays like a SF

They are nothing alike at all.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
peachbucket
Sixth Man
And1: 659

Post#46 » by peachbucket » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:37 am

The last two games were actually the two perfect games to evaluate Leonard as a prospect as they really highlighted all his strengths and weaknesses. It also underscored for me how bad this team really is without Leonard (or when ineffective) who currently is one of the 50 most efficient players in the country (currently 34th PER in NCAA).

First, the UNLV game....
A very frustrating day for Illinois who only mustered 48 points against a much more physical and athletic UNLV team that blocked 9 shots in the game. Leonard scored 7 points on only 3-8 fgs with 6 rebounds 3 assists and no blocked shots. He also went an uncharacteristic 1-6 from the free throw line. In the first half, UNLV's big front court was very physical with Meyers electing to double team him every time he got the ball in the post. Leonard displayed his exceptional court vision and passing skill making the pass to the open man almost every time. He finished the half with three assists but should have had 6 as three layups/dunks were either blocked or missed by his teammates. He became increasingly frustrated by the physical nature of the game (lack of calls) as well as his teammates ineffectiveness and with the game slipping away became more and more passive especially on the defensive end where he stopped fighting for position and contesting shots. He also showed his immaturity by looking at the refs after every bump and foul that was not called instead of playing though it. There was one interesting moment in the second half when Meyers got hit in the face by the 250lb UNLV center after getting the ball at the top of the key. A late call was made after Meyers reacted and looked at the ref for a call. On the ensuing position, a pissed off Meyers aggressively carved out deep position in the post against the big center, received the pass, and went right over him to lay it in. It was only one sequence, but really showed his potential when playing with aggression and makes his production that much more impressive considering he really is playing at about 75% effort out there. If he could give that kind of effort and intensity on every play, he would be putting up 20pnt 11reb and 5+ blocks and would be in a discussion for a top three pick. The big question is if this is something he will be able to change as he develops? Although its clear he will never be as aggressive as Kevin Garnett, I think that this is something that he will be able to improve on significantly through time...especially with additional physical development at the next level.

Cornell...
A nice rebound game against a much less physical team and Meyers was a man amongst boys. Had close to a double double at halftime with 13 points and 9 rebounds and finished the game with an impressive 19 16 and 5 blocks on 9/11 shooting (5 of which were dunks). Watching this game made me realize how bad the rest of his teammates are...the Illini's only other other offensive weapon is DJ Richardson's three point shot and without Leonard they would have lost to Cornell at home by double digits. They are also a very poor passing team with their point guard only averaging three assists per game...every game I've watched they have had such a hard time getting Meyers the ball and routinely miss him when he is open or has his man sealed. Considering Leonard is shooting over 64% on the year and how offensively challenged the rest of the team is, he should definitely be averaging more than 8.3 attempts per game...

The only weaknesses I currently see are lack of aggression and maturity (both physical and mental) but I think he will significantly improve on those with time in a professional setting. He is starting to creep up draft boards and unless he regresses the rest of the year, I don't see him falling past 6 come draft day. If I was a GM, I wouldn't blink to draft him ahead of Harrison Barnes today...
peachbucket
Sixth Man

Post#47 » by peachbucket » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:59 pm

Looks like the Leonard train is gaining momentum...

From Chad Ford's Insider...

Finally, there's a ton of buzz around Illinois' Meyers Leonard (Top 100 Rank: 20). Leonard is a super-athletic big man who, like Young, is still finding his rhythm on the offensive end of the floor. He's had a few breakout games, against Gonzaga, Coppin State and Cornell. Sandwiched in between was a less stellar game against St. Bonaventure and another recently versus UNLV. Leonard is still very inconsistent, but when you factor in his athletic ability and growing offensive game, he too could be in the lottery by the end of the season.
slickrickstyles
Rookie
And1: 397

Post#48 » by slickrickstyles » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:48 am

Im from Robinson IL and currently live here and there is ALOT of buzz that its pretty much a lock that Meyers leaves for the NBA after this year

An article about it was released today on ESPN

http://espn.go.com/ncb/conversations/_/ ... basketball

However I know for sure that many people around here are talking to him about staying one more year for the chance to go top 3
Once they have that golden shining moment and it comes to them in a dream or whatever and they understand that, that's when this team and this franchise will go to another level from where it was when I was here.

- Reggie Miller
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#49 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:18 am

Ford moved Leonard up to 11 on the ESPN big board. I'm sure he'll be moving up more.
Steely Reserve
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#50 » by Steely Reserve » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:21 am

Chad Ford late as usual
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#51 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:49 pm

I'm leaning towards Leonard being the 2nd best prospect in the draft. Doesn't have Drummond's athletic talent but far more trustworthy from an IQ and skill perspective to make up for it. I think if Drummond has potential from an Amare Griffin type offensive perspective from his greater roll to the rim power, you could make the case for Leonard having Aldridge/one of the Gasols potential from his more trustworthy post skill and with his height, putting him not *THAT* far behind from a 'if they reach their offensive upside' standpoint. Something like Marc Gasol's offensive game is in reach even if he doesn't max out, which wouldn't make him a star on that end, but really damn useful. Both guys have concerning rebound numbers. Both can block some shots but need some IQ work, though again I trust Leonard to actually committ defensively. Also Leonard is a good passer and has good court vision and Drummond has 10 assists all year (to 33 TOVs). Just a few advantages that make me slightly more confident in Leonard of the 2

The other guy I'm wondering about for #2 is Lamb. I could see 22ppg for him easily. But AD and Leonard probably have the higher upside due to the rarity of game changing bigs vs one dimensional scorers, even if they're a great one like Eric Gordon or Kevin Martin. I could see Lamb putting up Gordon stats and still having a top 2 career in this draft on that note, but nonetheless
EddieJonesFan
Starter
And1: 438

Post#52 » by EddieJonesFan » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:45 pm

How would you guys rate his rebounding?
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#53 » by ManualRam » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:11 am

EddieJonesFan wrote:How would you guys rate his rebounding?

I think he could get better. He can rebound outside of his area, he boxes out well and when he gets boards at the apex, not many can jump with him. Even though he boxes out well, he doesnt always finish the play. He'll box out and hold the box out instead of boxing and going after it.
He needs to get stronger in the lower body and react better to the ball off the rim.
Out of 10, id give him a 6 right now. Improvable if and when he gets stronger down low.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Superiorblogman
Banned User

Post#54 » by Superiorblogman » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:42 am

The guy has bust written all over him. A pure joke.
Piecake
Assistant Coach
And1: 264

Post#55 » by Piecake » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:09 am

He is playing pretty poorly in this Minnesota game. Elliot Elliason is owning him
treefi
Analyst
And1: 795

Post#56 » by treefi » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:11 am

Really?

I thought 17 points, 13 rebounds(6 offensive), 4 blocks was good.
Piecake
Assistant Coach
And1: 264

Post#57 » by Piecake » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:16 am

treefi wrote:Really?

I thought 17 points, 13 rebounds(6 offensive), 4 blocks was good.

That was pretty much all against sampson, who is even softer than Leonard, and when I posted that, Leonard didnt have those stats
peachbucket
Sixth Man

Post#58 » by peachbucket » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:44 am

Dr Mufasa wrote:I'm leaning towards Leonard being the 2nd best prospect in the draft. Doesn't have Drummond's athletic talent but far more trustworthy from an IQ and skill perspective to make up for it. I think if Drummond has potential from an Amare Griffin type offensive perspective from his greater roll to the rim power, you could make the case for Leonard having Aldridge/one of the Gasols potential from his more trustworthy post skill and with his height, putting him not *THAT* far behind from a 'if they reach their offensive upside' standpoint. Something like Marc Gasol's offensive game is in reach even if he doesn't max out, which wouldn't make him a star on that end, but really damn useful. Both guys have concerning rebound numbers. Both can block some shots but need some IQ work, though again I trust Leonard to actually committ defensively. Also Leonard is a good passer and has good court vision and Drummond has 10 assists all year (to 33 TOVs). Just a few advantages that make me slightly more confident in Leonard of the 2

The other guy I'm wondering about for #2 is Lamb. I could see 22ppg for him easily. But AD and Leonard probably have the higher upside due to the rarity of game changing bigs vs one dimensional scorers, even if they're a great one like Eric Gordon or Kevin Martin. I could see Lamb putting up Gordon stats and still having a top 2 career in this draft on that note, but nonetheless

I agree Mufasa. After watching him in a dozen big ten games (as well as the other top prospects), I am now convinced Leonard is the second best prospect in this draft. The real question for me is if he ends up going 2nd or 3rd. I don't see how any NBA GM would take a wing over him so I think his challengers for the two spot will be Drummond or Robinson. At the end of the day however, I think he ends up being the 2nd pick because there are still too many questions with Drummond and Robinson just doesn't have his ceiling. Although no GM would have the balls to take Leonard over Davis number 1 overall, I think there is a good chance that Leonard ends up being the best player from this draft 4 years from now.
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#59 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:02 pm

Yeah, it's either him or Lamb at 2 for me. I'm more sold on Lamb but would rather roll the dice a little bit to get a big time PF/C instead of just a perimeter scorer, if that makes sense.

It really does feel like with the history of the draft and high potential Cs and the way Drummond will play the role of the head of British Petroleum if UConn misses the tournament, Leonard should be the guy who goes 2nd. But it seems like there's such a hesitance against sophmores or juniors who aren't putting up dominant stats yet. Long way to go though. Derrick Williams didn't make his jump from "top 10" to the "guaranteed 2nd overall" guy until the middle/end of March according to DX's mock draft history
Superiorblogman
Banned User

Post#60 » by Superiorblogman » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:05 pm

Leonard would fit right in with the rest of the busts taking at #2 with the exception of KD and a few others because I swear this guy being a lottery pick is a joke.

Return to NBA Draft