ImageImageImage

Would You Support A Second NHL Team In Toronto?

Moderator: Crowned

Waylon Mercy
Banned User
And1: 6,644

Would You Support A Second NHL Team In Toronto? 

Post#1 » by Waylon Mercy » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:17 am

If Toronto got an expansion team or a team relocated here would you support it?

Would you always be a Leafs fan only? Jump ship and support the new one? Or support both?
leafsfan89
Freshman
And1: 0

Re: Would You Support A Second NHL Team In Toronto? 

Post#2 » by leafsfan89 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:39 am

blue & white forever.. been through way too much to jump ship now. But im not one for cheering against a team that has your city's name on it. Even if that sport/team is unpopular to you. But if the team is named after another city like Markham, or Hamilton then definitely i wouldn't cheer for them.

What about you OP, what are your thoughts?
"Yes they deserved to die, and i hope they burn in hell!"
Waylon Mercy
Banned User
And1: 6,644

Post#3 » by Waylon Mercy » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:49 am

leafsfan89 wrote:blue & white forever.. been through way too much to jump ship now. But im not one for cheering against a team that has your city's name on it. Even if that sport/team is unpopular to you. But if the team is named after another city like Markham, or Hamilton then definitely i wouldn't cheer for them.

What about you OP, what are your thoughts?

Ya I hear you only if the team was called Toronto or Mississauga (Lived there for 16 years)
would I support them. Even though the Leafs embarass me and break my heart I don't know
if I could jump ship on them. I guess I would be a fan of both. Its funny though because in
LA usually your a Laker fan or a Clipper fan, New York a Yankee or Met fan, and Chicago a
Cubs or White Sox fan. Usually both fan bases despise each other.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#4 » by whysoserious » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:41 pm

I will always be a Leaf fan but I would support them to do well only to add to the pressure of the Leafs going out and actually winning us a Cup.

Toronto is definitely big enough to support two teams and fans could actually get tickets to games unlike the Leafs which aren't impossible but overpriced.

If I wanted to see Pittsburgh come to town, I'd have a better shot at getting tickets against the second team than the Leafs.
Brew666
Junior
And1: 22

Post#5 » by Brew666 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:44 pm

Can't help but be a Leafs fan unfortunately. I don't think it's in me to change alliances but I am a homer through and through. I think the only way I would cheer for another team would be if they were located close to where I grew up. I'd be more likely to stop watching hockey all together than cheer for another team.

Only time I've changed alliances is when the Raps came into the L (was a Warriors fan before) and I used to be a Philadelphia Eagles fan and started cheering for the NY Jets but that was a long time ago.
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Post#6 » by Skin Blues » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:35 pm

The kind of support that will bring another team here is financial, not "fan allegiance". People will go to the games, they'll watch them on TV... there's clearly enough of that kind of support for another team here. It won't matter if the hardcore fans remain loyal only to the Leafs.
BobbyBoy
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#7 » by BobbyBoy » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:45 pm

I would never. LEAFS FAN FOR LIFE!!
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,941

Post#8 » by CPT » Wed Feb 1, 2012 6:32 am

I'd probably hate them.

In theory, it would be nice if they had cheaper tickets, but I'm not sure that would be the case anyway.
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#9 » by sanity » Thu Feb 2, 2012 8:12 am

Its tough to say... but wasn't the CEO or president of Blackberry about to do something like that in Hamilton or the K/W area? That would've been pretty awful if the league expanded only for the ownership of the team having to fold since Blackberry's stock just tanked

I don't think it would be a wise move for the NHL to expand in Ontario just yet
Relentless88
RealGM
And1: 101

Post#10 » by Relentless88 » Thu Feb 2, 2012 4:13 pm

sanity wrote:Its tough to say... but wasn't the CEO or president of Blackberry about to do something like that in Hamilton or the K/W area? That would've been pretty awful if the league expanded only for the ownership of the team having to fold since Blackberry's stock just tanked

Yeah that would have been awful thinking back. Balsillie can't afford a team now, and he's not CEO anymore.
Brew666
Junior
And1: 22

Post#11 » by Brew666 » Thu Feb 2, 2012 8:45 pm

Relentless88 wrote:
sanity wrote:Its tough to say... but wasn't the CEO or president of Blackberry about to do something like that in Hamilton or the K/W area? That would've been pretty awful if the league expanded only for the ownership of the team having to fold since Blackberry's stock just tanked

Yeah that would have been awful thinking back. Balsillie can't afford a team now, and he's not CEO anymore.

At the same time, how much money would he have made off a new franchise in that area by now? I wouldn't think the failure of Blackberry would have any affect on the team, well maybe corporate sponsorship, but again, I don't think getting corporate sponsorships for a second hockey team in this area would be an issue either.

I should also say that I don't have a lick of knowledge on how this actual transaction would work. If all said and done, Balsille owed the league $300 million, would he be expected to pay the league a percentage of that up front and then could use profits from the team to pay off the remainder? Would he have been expected to sell RIM shares at the time, so that he would have the cash on hand? Or would the annual (or whatever) payments exceed the team's profits and he would have to have another source of income?
j127
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41

Post#12 » by j127 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:03 pm

I'd support them. I support all Canadian teams (even Montreal and Ottawa), with Toronto and Vancouver more than the rest. I have no gripes about cheering for a second Toronto team or a Hamilton team.
langer
Senior
And1: 91

Post#13 » by langer » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:31 am

Marakham downtown is building a NHL-size arena. I hope that they can land a NHL team later on.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs