ImageImageImage

Trade deadline thread

Moderator: Crowned

BobbyBoy
Banned User
And1: 0

Trade deadline thread 

Post#1 » by BobbyBoy » Mon Feb 6, 2012 9:20 pm

I hope its soon. I hope he can get a guy like Nash,Getzlaf, or anyone else. I just wanna see this team have a number center and make the playoffs.
winwinz
Sophomore
And1: 30

Re: When Is Burke going to make 'that trade'? 

Post#2 » by winwinz » Mon Feb 6, 2012 10:35 pm

by giving away prospects again?
leafsfan89
Freshman

Post#3 » by leafsfan89 » Tue Feb 7, 2012 2:26 am

at this point i'll be surprised if burke makes "that" trade. Getting a number one centre through trade would mean we give up alot, and the team is doing pretty good to break up any little chemistry we have going on. I can see burke making a couple of small trades, maybe trading picks for some penalty killer type player or bolstering up the ahl team but i dont see that big trade coming. I just don't see burke giving up too much right now. But if anything i have a feeling he would go for Ryan Malone. Malone or Carter are my two speculations.
"Yes they deserved to die, and i hope they burn in hell!"
Waylon Mercy
Banned User
And1: 6,644

Post#4 » by Waylon Mercy » Tue Feb 7, 2012 11:53 am

If were getting a young top line center 26 or younger then im not opposed to giving
up prospects Leaf prospects are usually never good. When we give up draft picks I get
worried because they usually end up high and the other teams scouts are making the picks.
I'd be willing to give up a Goalie....With Reimer, Monster, Scrivens, and Owaya in the system
we need to balance out our roster sooner or later.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#5 » by whysoserious » Tue Feb 7, 2012 2:24 pm

winwinz wrote:by giving away prospects again?

Giving away prospects/picks for an aging veteran to make a playoff push is bad. Giving up prospects/picks to get a top line center in the prime of their career is a worthy risk. Even moreso if you can find one with a proven track record, having a down year and with a cash strapped team.

It's all about finding value. Keeping picks for the sake of them or prospects just cause they are prospects doesn't make sense.

Take Colborne and Kadri, neither is really being projected as a top line Center, best case i've heard from experts is that they're second line players. Now that's not to say they couldn't develop but if you had to give up one of them plus a pick and a defensive prospect for a guy like Eric Staal, you should jump all over that. I mean, then you actually have a legit and formidable first line of Staal, Kessel and Lupol dropping Bozak to the third line and one of Kadri/Colborne still in the system to develop in to your second line center.

BTW, I'm not suggesting that that's enough to get Staal but damn that would be so sweet.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#6 » by Crowned » Tue Feb 7, 2012 10:28 pm

To be quite honest, I think it'll depend on the Grabovski situation. If they're confident they can re-sign him, they may not make a big move at all.

I've said it before, I'd be more than happy with a Travis Moen type player, someone that won't cost us much and would improve us defensively and on the PK.
leafsfan89
Freshman

Post#7 » by leafsfan89 » Tue Feb 7, 2012 10:59 pm

Crowned wrote:To be quite honest, I think it'll depend on the Grabovski situation. If they're confident they can re-sign him, they may not make a big move at all.

I've said it before, I'd be more than happy with a Travis Moen type player, someone that won't cost us much and would improve us defensively and on the PK.

Agreed!

I think the lack of movement on the trade front by the leafs is because of Grabovski's situation. I won't be surprised one bit if Grabovski actually gets dealt by the trade deadline (even though i would much rather see him in the blue and white for a long time!). I think it was on hockeybuzz, it said people are comparing grabovski's contract talks to that of plekanecs on montreal. And he got a 6 year 30$ million deal with an anual cap hit of $5 million! Its being said that if that is the cost, it'll be highly unlikely burke will resign grabo at that price, and i have to agree. $5 Million cap hit is too much imo... hopefully he can take a bit less like JML did recently.
BobbyBoy
Banned User

Post#8 » by BobbyBoy » Tue Feb 7, 2012 11:32 pm

I think BB should just get really tough on the bottom 6 this season and in the offseason focus on the top six. A guy like Cal Clutterbuck is what i think we need.
BobbyBoy
Banned User

Post#9 » by BobbyBoy » Tue Feb 7, 2012 11:39 pm

Does anyone know any centers that might not be as known as a getzlaf, but has size and skill. A guy I think of Anze Kopitar, Mike Richards (small but can play a physical presence). Any More??
TheRealistGM
Veteran
And1: 849

Post#10 » by TheRealistGM » Wed Feb 8, 2012 6:57 am

BobbyBoy wrote:Does anyone know any centers that might not be as known as a getzlaf, but has size and skill. A guy I think of Anze Kopitar, Mike Richards (small but can play a physical presence). Any More??

Those centres are definitely as known as getzlaf. They are all fairly close to 1 point per game players.

I don't know if I'd even risk getting a top line centre who might mess up the chemistry of that top line. Connoly is much more skilled than bozak yet as we all saw he just didnt quite fit in on that line.

Unless you can unload Tim in the deal, I might be happy if we just stand pat with our centres.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#11 » by whysoserious » Wed Feb 8, 2012 1:18 pm

Connoly may be more skilled but it's clear he looks like he's done being a front line player and that's why it didn't work out. I know Bozak has been much better than last year, but that should not mean you don't take the opportunity to get a front line Center. Let's say a guy like Getzlaf or Staal was available, he's definitely an upgrade over Bozak, if the chemistry doesn't work, you leave Bozak on the line till the end of the year and figure out the rest in the off-season.

For the longest time, we had Sundin, a true front line Center and we gave him average wingers (other than Mogilny - although on the downside of his career) and now we have some good front line wingers who are young and don't have that Sundin type to play with them.

By no means am I saying that this is our only problem, in fact the team has been quite successful this year despite the lack of a true number 1 center but they definitely need one and it doesn't look like we'll be getting one in the draft.
Marmoset
Veteran
And1: 563

Post#12 » by Marmoset » Thu Feb 9, 2012 4:48 am

I'm not sure that "the trade" will happen this season. The team overall has good chemistry and it's risky to mess that up. Plus, I don't believe that most of the names being talked about are actually available. I don't see Getzlaf, Staal, etc. being moved by their teams - it's so hard to find guys like that, and it's not like those guys are old.

I also don't think that Grabovski will get moved (and I really hope not!) At this point the Leafs are fully committed to driving for the playoffs, and as a UFA Grabovski has more value to the Leafs trying to make the playoffs than to a team that would trade a key player, since those teams would presumably be non-contenders looking for prospects and draft picks. If a guy like Getzlaf or Staal was available, it's not Grabovski that those teams will be interested in.

If Grabovski was going to be moved for contract reasons, it should have happened much earlier. At this stage it just doesn't make sense.
BobbyBoy
Banned User

Post#13 » by BobbyBoy » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:09 pm

Nash to Toronto???
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,176

Post#14 » by LLJ » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:55 pm

Marmoset wrote:I'm not sure that "the trade" will happen this season. The team overall has good chemistry and it's risky to mess that up.

Now that a week has passed, what say you now? :wink:
leafsfan89
Freshman

Post#15 » by leafsfan89 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:51 am

LLJ wrote:
Marmoset wrote:I'm not sure that "the trade" will happen this season. The team overall has good chemistry and it's risky to mess that up.

5-4-1 in their last 10 is not that bad. Considering how poorly this team has played they still hold a playoff spot. We got alot of help from other teams facing the teams below us. Washington and Winnipeg couldve easily been ahead of us by now but we've been lucky to still have a playoffspot. Leafs just need to stay consistent especially compared to the teams chasing us. Last week the focus was on catching teams ahead of us, possibly moving into 6th or even... 5th! But now the focus has totally shifted on teams chasing us, and remaining consistent will help us secure a spot! Big win, but nothing to be proud of.. we beat an oilers team that respectively the Leafs should be able to beat. We have to keep playing our game and not play the other teams' game.
BobbyBoy
Banned User

Post#16 » by BobbyBoy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:23 pm

leafsfan89 wrote:
LLJ wrote:

5-4-1 in their last 10 is not that bad. Considering how poorly this team has played they still hold a playoff spot. We got alot of help from other teams facing the teams below us. Washington and Winnipeg couldve easily been ahead of us by now but we've been lucky to still have a playoffspot. Leafs just need to stay consistent especially compared to the teams chasing us. Last week the focus was on catching teams ahead of us, possibly moving into 6th or even... 5th! But now the focus has totally shifted on teams chasing us, and remaining consistent will help us secure a spot! Big win, but nothing to be proud of.. we beat an oilers team that respectively the Leafs should be able to beat. We have to keep playing our game and not play the other teams' game.

Yeah, but you just got off topic. The question is basically, now that were losing, is there really any chemistry to mess up?
leafsfan89
Freshman

Post#17 » by leafsfan89 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:54 pm

Yea i guess i did lol, the only true chemistry ive seen all year is Lupul & Kessel. Bozak seems to be able to fit in at times but is a bit streaky. And with Grabo line, Kulemin is putting in work just not producing, MacArthur is very streaky this year. Grabovski is the standout and he seems to just make this happen himself at times. So i think there was no real chemistry with that line at all this year compared to last. That's why wilson was actually able to break the line up some games. So again the only chemistry that could get 'messed up' is Lupul & Kessel.
BobbyBoy
Banned User

Post#18 » by BobbyBoy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:24 pm

What about Martin Hanzal? he's not the number 1 center yet, but he is big (6'6 230+ pounds) I don't really know his value, so is he going to cost a lot?
Marmoset
Veteran
And1: 563

Post#19 » by Marmoset » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:45 pm

It's absolutely true that the main part of the "chemistry" is Kessel/Lupul. However, if Burke makes a trade it's most likely to be for a forward that would have an impact on the chemistry of ... Kessel and Lupul. I suppose we could make a deal for the second line as well.

I also think that the defence has had good chemistry overall, and a big part of that has been Gunnarsson. We're seeing just how important he is right now over the last few games. But in terms of overall chemistry, maybe you guys are right - the Grabovski line chemistry certainly hasn't been there this year, it's a one-way relationship. :)

The other thing that has changed in the last week is Rick Nash apparently being available. I hope the Leafs don't go after Nash unless it's a bargain, because I think he's an overrated and overpaid player that would restrict the team's ability to make moves in the future. He's probably comparable to Kessel (although not this year), but he makes $7.8 million. The Leafs just can't afford to keep picking up guys who are paid too much in a salary cap system. Every team has one or two bad contracts, but the Leafs have more than average (Komisarek, Armstrong, Lombardi for sure; you can argue guys like Phaneuf and Schenn) and adding Nash would be a huge risk. And it's going to cost them.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#20 » by whysoserious » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:17 pm

Marmoset wrote:It's absolutely true that the main part of the "chemistry" is Kessel/Lupul. However, if Burke makes a trade it's most likely to be for a forward that would have an impact on the chemistry of ... Kessel and Lupul. I suppose we could make a deal for the second line as well.

I also think that the defence has had good chemistry overall, and a big part of that has been Gunnarsson. We're seeing just how important he is right now over the last few games. But in terms of overall chemistry, maybe you guys are right - the Grabovski line chemistry certainly hasn't been there this year, it's a one-way relationship. :)

The other thing that has changed in the last week is Rick Nash apparently being available. I hope the Leafs don't go after Nash unless it's a bargain, because I think he's an overrated and overpaid player that would restrict the team's ability to make moves in the future. He's probably comparable to Kessel (although not this year), but he makes $7.8 million. The Leafs just can't afford to keep picking up guys who are paid too much in a salary cap system. Every team has one or two bad contracts, but the Leafs have more than average (Komisarek, Armstrong, Lombardi for sure; you can argue guys like Phaneuf and Schenn) and adding Nash would be a huge risk. And it's going to cost them.

The one thing the Leafs have going for them is they can afford to pay guys big dollars to play on the Marlies. Now this doesn't mean go crazy but they should be using that financial flexibility to add pieces when necessary. If they had to send Komisarek down and still pay him, so be it if it means adding a piece to the main roster that will help.

Nash may be a bit overpaid, but we have not had star like Nash since Sundin. Throughout Sundin's career they never put the best wingers alongside him (minus Mogilny for a period). This team always gets the bare minimum type. When was the last time you could look at the NHL and say the best player in the league plays on the Leafs. Nash is not that guy but he's pretty damn good and he doesn't solve the need for a number 1 centre but damn he'd be good as a Leaf. My preference would be Staal but doubt canes are looking to move him.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs