Josh Smith and Monta Ellis got screwed! (again...)

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

mysticbb
Banned User
And1: 713

Re: Josh Smith and Monta Ellis got screwed! (again...) 

Post#281 » by mysticbb » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:59 am

BROWN wrote:Monta doesn't get in because he doesn't have a HOF coach, k got it (y)

He doesn't get in cause he's on a bad team, got it.

No, Monta Ellis is not in the All-Star game, because the coaches are not thinking that he is a positive impact player. He scores, but he is doing it inefficiently, he has assists, but he turns it over a lot too. The stats are proving the coaches right, Ellis turns out to be a negative player according to ALL +/- based stats, especially those which are adjusted for the strength of the teammates and opponents. And that is not just some noise in this season, that is a common theme for Ellis.

http://stats-for-the-nba.appspot.com/players/417.png

Ellis is constantly negativ.

Tony Parker: http://stats-for-the-nba.appspot.com/players/30.png
Steve Nash: http://stats-for-the-nba.appspot.com/players/8.png

Nash is among the league leaders in RAPM (ridge regression APM, best in terms of predicting the outcome of future games), Tony Parker constantly positive, while Monta Ellis is constantly negative. It seems like the coaches are not just looking at things you consider valuable.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#282 » by Blame Rasho » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:59 am

coldgrip1 wrote:To be fair, he's been playing with a bad knee for a 3, 4 week stretch. Couldn't push off his left knee.But ignore BROWN. It's Saturday night and he's probably drunk lol.

I know... I am just kinda having fun at the absurdity that he is so insistent about Ellis getting screwed over.

I personally, would love it if Parker wouldn't have to make the cross country road trip in the middle of our rodeo road trip for a meaningless game in the big picture.
BROWN
RealGM
And1: 74

Post#283 » by BROWN » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:00 am

coldgrip1 wrote:
BROWN wrote:
mysticbb wrote:[quote="BROWN"]
Another stat guy.

Montas improved his game overall, lost his best pick and roll player with Brown and his most talented team mate.

Career highs in assists, top 10 in scoring.. Minutes played..

Lol, and assists, points and minutes are not statistical categories? Just asking, because it really sounds that you are relying on stats too, just not very good ones in order to evaluate a player.

When Nash is on the court, the Suns are at +2.7 per 100 possessions, while they are at -11.4 with him not on the court. Well, when Ellis is on the court, the Warriors so far are at -2.2, while they are at +2.7 when he is not on the court.

Nash plays 30 minutes a night, Ellis plays near 40, major difference.

Yes because Ellis puts up a NBA season high against the best team in the West, I'm basing it off stats?

If it were stats I'd be comparing Nash to Ellis, and that'll never match up cause Nash has a godly TS% and you know that really gives some fellas a hard on.

Nash hasn't lost anyone near as close as Curry or Brown all year, and his team is below .500. Yes the Warriors have a bad record, but it doesn't change that Ellis is having a good year.

Come on man. I'm gonna drag you back to the Warriors board lol. Ellis is not having a good year.[/quote]

Meh I'm done.

I can't deal with nerds this late anyways.

Gonna go watch Kobe and his godlike TS% tomorrow.
BROWN
RealGM

Post#284 » by BROWN » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:03 am

Blame Rasho wrote:
coldgrip1 wrote:To be fair, he's been playing with a bad knee for a 3, 4 week stretch. Couldn't push off his left knee.But ignore BROWN. It's Saturday night and he's probably drunk lol.

I know... I am just kinda having fun at the absurdity that he is so insistent about Ellis getting screwed over.

I personally, would love it if Parker wouldn't have to make the cross country road trip in the middle of our rodeo road trip for a meaningless game in the big picture.

Its a shame he didn't make it, when you got guys like Klove making it (last year), mo williams, jameer nelson, and next year Jeremy Lin.

He's been doing work for 4 straight years and still gets no love.

Yes all star games reps, especially when the last one you had was Sprewell.
Blame Rasho
On Leave

Post#285 » by Blame Rasho » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:03 am

BROWN wrote:
I'm guessing you don't watch much Warrior games, it's alright. I've caught the Spurs enough times to say that Pop is the smartest guy in the NBA. He can make anyone look like gold. TP started with a huge slump, and has had an amazing month, has he been playing like an All Star all year?

Playing on a winning team shouldn't give a player an automatic bid, well that's how it looks like this year... With Nash and Deron getting picked.

Monta Ellis is an allstar DAMN IT....
Blame Rasho
On Leave

Post#286 » by Blame Rasho » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:04 am

BROWN wrote:
Blame Rasho wrote:

Its a shame he didn't make it, when you got guys like Klove making it (last year), mo williams, jameer nelson, and next year Jeremy Lin.

He's been doing work for 4 straight years and still gets no love.

Yes all star games reps, especially when the last one you had was Sprewell.

Yeah... he wasn't an allstar any year in the west. Deal with it or keep crying about it.
BROWN
RealGM

Post#287 » by BROWN » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:08 am

mysticbb wrote:
BROWN wrote:Monta doesn't get in because he doesn't have a HOF coach, k got it (y)

He doesn't get in cause he's on a bad team, got it.

No, Monta Ellis is not in the All-Star game, because the coaches are not thinking that he is a positive impact player. He scores, but he is doing it inefficiently, he has assists, but he turns it over a lot too. The stats are proving the coaches right, Ellis turns out to be a negative player according to ALL +/- based stats, especially those which are adjusted for the strength of the teammates and opponents. And that is not just some noise in this season, that is a common theme for Ellis.

http://stats-for-the-nba.appspot.com/players/417.png

Ellis is constantly negativ.

Tony Parker: http://stats-for-the-nba.appspot.com/players/30.png
Steve Nash: http://stats-for-the-nba.appspot.com/players/8.png

Nash is among the league leaders in RAPM (ridge regression APM, best in terms of predicting the outcome of future games), Tony Parker constantly positive, while Monta Ellis is constantly negative. It seems like the coaches are not just looking at things you consider valuable.

You realize all of those stats mean nothing, because they don't take into consideration, minutes, fatigue, gameplanning.

Those are box score stats.

Player A has played 40+ minutes for 170+ games in the last 3 seasons.

Player B has played 30 minutes for 150 games in the last 3 seasons.

They aren't your video player you created...
Blame Rasho
On Leave

Post#288 » by Blame Rasho » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:10 am

Stats mean nothing... Monta Ellis is an allstar DAMN IT.
BROWN
RealGM

Post#289 » by BROWN » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:10 am

Blame Rasho wrote:
BROWN wrote:
I'm guessing you don't watch much Warrior games, it's alright. I've caught the Spurs enough times to say that Pop is the smartest guy in the NBA. He can make anyone look like gold. TP started with a huge slump, and has had an amazing month, has he been playing like an All Star all year?

Playing on a winning team shouldn't give a player an automatic bid, well that's how it looks like this year... With Nash and Deron getting picked.

Monta Ellis is an allstar DAMN IT....

Yup don't let your box scores fool you.
Blame Rasho
On Leave

Post#290 » by Blame Rasho » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:11 am

Yeah... I realize that in wins, Ellis posts even crappier stats, but in losses he posts better stats. Textmark allstar player if there ever was one.
coldgrip1
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#291 » by coldgrip1 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:11 am

BROWN wrote:You realize all of those stats mean nothing, because they don't take into consideration, minutes, fatigue, gameplanning.

Have a beer and chill man. It's late night I'm getting a headache reading stats let alone analyzing them.
BROWN
RealGM

Post#292 » by BROWN » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:12 am

Blame Rasho wrote:Stats mean nothing... Monta Ellis is an allstar DAMN IT.

They don't, if they did Houston would be World Champions, the A's would be World Champions.

Great coaching, putting them into the right position to succeed gets you wins.

You can't overlook a talented player because of the way he's been used by idiots.
BROWN
RealGM

Post#293 » by BROWN » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:18 am

Blame Rasho wrote:Yeah... I realize that in wins, Ellis posts even crappier stats, but in losses he posts better stats. Textmark allstar player if there ever was one.

We get it man, the Warriors suck, Ellis sucks.. Blah blah same story, you like a Dynasty team, greatest big man ever, best coach ever blah blah... Ellis is the worst player in the league, same story from REALGM. Where looking past talent and looking into the stats give you the answer.
BROWN
RealGM

Post#294 » by BROWN » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:19 am

coldgrip1 wrote:
BROWN wrote:You realize all of those stats mean nothing, because they don't take into consideration, minutes, fatigue, gameplanning.

Have a beer and chill man. It's late night I'm getting a headache reading stats let alone analyzing them.

Yup time to sleep zzzz... Can't wait to read this in the morning.
Blame Rasho
On Leave

Post#295 » by Blame Rasho » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:27 am

BROWN wrote:
Blame Rasho wrote:Yeah... I realize that in wins, Ellis posts even crappier stats, but in losses he posts better stats. Textmark allstar player if there ever was one.

We get it man, the Warriors suck, Ellis sucks.. Blah blah same story, you like a Dynasty team, greatest big man ever, best coach ever blah blah... Ellis is the worst player in the league, same story from REALGM. Where looking past talent and looking into the stats give you the answer.

No... we get it.. Ellis got screwed out of the allstar game, stats don't matter, the Spurs/Parker don't deserve to be in the allstar game, Ellis deserves it over Nash who has great stats but on a crappy team, everyone is stupid because they don't realize that Ellis is awesome.
coldgrip1
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#296 » by coldgrip1 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:27 am

Ellis is a tremendous talent but just because he has talent doesn't mean we can look past his poor shot selection. If Ellis improves his shot selection, he'll be a much better basketball player. He has improved his passing dramatically. Now he needs to improve his shot selection.

I'm out. Too fukn late to talk basketball. Need to hit the sack and start sexting. Monta Ellis style.
mysticbb
Banned User
And1: 713

Post#297 » by mysticbb » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:32 am

I actually cited a stats based NOT on the boxscore, but on the results with the respective players on the court. Those are numbers adjusted for strength of teammates and opponents. So, if we can't see Ellis' greatness in boxscore numbers and we can't see it the results, he may as well not be great.

BROWN wrote:Player A has played 40+ minutes for 170+ games in the last 3 seasons.

Yeah, and during those minutes player A was on the court, his team was in average -5.2 per 100 possessions, while it was +3.5 in the time he was not on the court. For player B the team was with him at +5.3, while without him at -5.3. If we assume that player B's team would be as good without him as player A's team without said player A, we would expect a 53 wins team in average (82 games season). If we do the same exercise with player A, his team would expected to win 27 games. And that is the difference Steve Nash makes instead of Monta Ellis. Now you can think about it for awhile, why the Warriors with Ellis are really bad while the Suns with Nash are really good. Maybe that will explain why Monta Ellis is NOT an All-Star by any means.
BROWN
RealGM

Post#298 » by BROWN » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:35 am

Blame Rasho wrote:
BROWN wrote:

No... we get it.. Ellis got screwed out of the allstar game, stats don't matter, the Spurs/Parker don't deserve to be in the allstar game, Ellis deserves it over Nash who has great stats but on a crappy team, everyone is stupid because they don't realize that Ellis is awesome.

It's cool my brotha, It's clear if you swap Parker with Ellis the Spurs would become the worst team in the league.... And the Warriors would be an elite team, win championships cause he impacts the court so much more, or swap him with Nash and boom the Warriors start to win more games and PHX ultimately suckorzzzzz

Jeremy Lin becomes an All Star, after leaving GSW.
#blameMonta
BROWN
RealGM

Post#299 » by BROWN » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:40 am

mysticbb wrote:

I actually cited a stats based NOT on the boxscore, but on the results with the respective players on the court. Those are numbers adjusted for strength of teammates and opponents. So, if we can't see Ellis' greatness in boxscore numbers and we can't see it the results, he may as well not be great.

BROWN wrote:Player A has played 40+ minutes for 170+ games in the last 3 seasons.

Yeah, and during those minutes player A was on the court, his team was in average -5.2 per 100 possessions, while it was +3.5 in the time he was not on the court. For player B the team was with him at +5.3, while without him at -5.3. If we assume that player B's team would be as good without him as player A's team without said player A, we would expect a 53 wins team in average (82 games season). If we do the same exercise with player A, his team would expected to win 27 games. And that is the difference Steve Nash makes instead of Monta Ellis. Now you can think about it for awhile, why the Warriors with Ellis are really bad while the Suns with Nash are really good. Maybe that will explain why Monta Ellis is NOT an All-Star by any means.

So our 2nd unit plays good against other 2nd units. Thanks captain obvious!

8 minutes a game, he's not on the court so let's see.... Start of the 2nd for about 4 minutes, 2 minutes at the end of the 3rd and 2 minutes at the beginning of the 4th.

And all those minutes are when the 2nd unit of each team is on...

Thanks for pointing out that the Warriors starters suck... I mean with Curry out for a month that really helped!
SDtotheBay
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#300 » by SDtotheBay » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:48 am

yeaaaaaaah 9 game sample will tell us the whole story kinda like Manu being the GOAT with his 5 game sample (and then another injury, but then what else is new, that's why he's a bench player).

anyways, with a real sample of more than 10 games...

in wins: 28.6/6.6/3.6 on 46% FG and 50% 3pt
in losses: 20.6/4.9/3.4 on 41% FG and 29% 3pt

wow, jesus..it's ridiculous to think that warriors win more if Monta plays better. Who would have thought.

mindblowing

kinda like Manu staying healthy

Return to The General Board