ImageImageImage

Trade deadline thread

Moderator: Crowned

BobbyBoy
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: When Is Burke going to make 'that trade'? 

Post#21 » by BobbyBoy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:26 am

When it comes to Nash, I think that we will have to give peices that we can give up for a Getzlaf. I would take Getzlaf over nash anyday. Like look at Nash, hes great player, but I dont think he is a Franchise player. He hasnt reached 80 points yet, but he hasnt played with great talent.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#22 » by whysoserious » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:32 am

Getzlaf has only broken the 80 point mark twice, once 82 points and once 91 points. I'd prefer Getzlaf too but let's not discredit Nash. He is a franchise type talent, look at what he has been surrounded by in Columbus so far compared to Getzlaf in Anaheim.
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#23 » by sanity » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:47 pm

Nash is a franchise type-talent most definitely, but rumor has it Columbus is wanting more than they wanted in previous weeks (first rounders + prospects + NHL ready talent---to help with their plans in dumping Carter) which has made a few teams pull out of negotiations.

I think Anaheim will ask too much for Getzlaf since they're at or within a playoffs seeding. They're not in the same firesale position Columbus is in and trading him now for Shenn + etc. would make it seem as if they're throwing away the season when it is still within reach.

I'd like either of them but not at the expense of Gardiner. If we don't make the playoffs it is something that fans should be able to live with since we will get bounced in the 1st round. A big trade like this can wait till next year's deadline when we're a bit more competitive and we have more of an idea in what we have with our prospects. Gardiner is a remarkable talent who could very well end up being an elite-level player at the NHL level
BobbyBoy
Banned User

Post#24 » by BobbyBoy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:55 pm

sanity wrote:Nash is a franchise type-talent most definitely, but rumor has it Nashville is wanting more than they wanted in previous weeks (first rounders + prospects + NHL ready talent---to help with their plans in dumping Carter) which has made a few teams pull out of negotiations.

I think Anaheim will ask too much for Getzlaf since they're at or within a playoffs seeding. They're not in the same firesale position Columbus is in and trading him now for Shenn + etc. would make it seem as if they're throwing away the season when it is still within reach.

I'd like either of them but not at the expense of Gardiner. If we don't make the playoffs it is something that fans should be able to live with since we will get bounced in the 1st round. A big trade like this can wait till next year's deadline when we're a bit more competitive and we have more of an idea in what we have with our prospects. Gardiner is a remarkable talent who could very well end up being an elite-level player at the NHL level

I don't think getting Getzlaf this year is a good idea. Next year he'll be in his last year of his contract, so maybe if Getzlaf doesn't sign anaheim will panic and deal him. This year they should get bobby ryan.
sanity
RealGM

Post#25 » by sanity » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:18 am

Yeah if anyone is to be dealt from Anaheim its probably Blake.. and there's no possibility of us going there again (thank god). Burke should just sit tight or look towards dumping a bloated contract
Batmanz
Banned User

Post#26 » by Batmanz » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:31 am

sanity wrote:Yeah if anyone is to be dealt from Anaheim its probably Blake.. and there's no possibility of us going there again (thank god). Burke should just sit tight or look towards dumping a bloated contract

Gtfo w/ Blake. He was the Will Solomon of the
Leafs.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#27 » by whysoserious » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:46 pm

If the Sharks figure out a way to land both Carter and Nash, damn!!!

Marleau, Thornton, Nash and Carter up front, that's just crazy. Why can't the Leafs ever field a team with even half of that let alone all four guys.

When was the last time the Leafs had the best player in the NHL?

Thought I'd throw this out there too as Brady/Lang were talking about it this morning, not an actual rumour but just asking if you would trade Kessel/Lupol for Ovechkin.

Seems like a lot of people are down on Ovechkin and he's had a rough year on the ice and off. But when he's on, he can be the best player in the league, right there with Sid. It would leave the team pretty thin but that's the kind of risk I'd attempt. Not that Washington takes that deal.
sanity
RealGM

Post#28 » by sanity » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:17 pm

I would trade most of this team for Ovechkin. lol. I think it would be suicide for the Caps to trade him for anything. Green being injured for so long hurt his production/motivation

I think Carter is a possibility with us--rumor has it we're a front-running team for him. I would be 'ok' with it (assuming he can regain form pre-trade from Philly) depending on what we're forced to give up. The contract is awful and lengthy, but he is a quality first line C. There might not be another one available
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#29 » by whysoserious » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:20 pm

sanity wrote:I would trade most of this team for Ovechkin. lol. I think it would be suicide for the Caps to trade him for anything. Green being injured for so long hurt his production/motivation

I think Carter is a possibility with us--rumor has it we're a front-running team for him. I would be 'ok' with it (assuming he can regain form pre-trade from Philly) depending on what we're forced to give up. The contract is awful and lengthy, but he is a quality first line C. There might not be another one available

I'd agree whole-heartedly on the Ovechkin front. Ya he's been a bit of a suck this year, but he's exactly the type of talent you go after if he comes on the market. This team clearly won't be bad enough to draft an Ovechkin type and are not good enough to make it all the way as is. My preference is to hang on to Lupol to play with him and move Kessel and other pieces. And this still doesn't address the need for a front line Center.
sanity
RealGM

Post#30 » by sanity » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:28 am

Lupol is a bit of a risk given his history of injuries. Between him and Kessel I'd probably opt to cash in on Lupol while his value is high but preferably I'd keep both because of the established chemistry between them. Kessel I would gladly deal though if it meant a return of someone like Nash (straight up---or avoiding having to throw in Gardiner/picks).

I hope in the offseason Burke can find a way to dump both Komisarek and Connelly. Both were bad acquisitions and are now demoted. Komisarek is now a healthy scratch (Gunnarsson/Franson > Komisarek any day of the week) and now Bozak is centering the first line. Those were 2 boner moves by Burke and both make a shtwad of $
Marmoset
Veteran
And1: 563

Post#31 » by Marmoset » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:25 am

sanity wrote:I hope in the offseason Burke can find a way to dump both Komisarek and Connelly. Both were bad acquisitions and are now demoted. Komisarek is now a healthy scratch (Gunnarsson/Franson > Komisarek any day of the week) and now Bozak is centering the first line. Those were 2 boner moves by Burke and both make a shtwad of $

Connolly will be going into the last year of his contract so much like expiring contracts in the NBA, there's a good chance they'll be able to move him. Even if they can't right away, he could fetch something at the next trade deadline. But hopefully he's moved in the off-season.

Komisarek has two years left and has been a healthy scratch a lot, so I don't like their chances of moving him. It would probably have to be for an equally bad contract, or else one not as bad but maybe a year longer.

Switching gears, I'm happy that Carter is gone and off the market. It's probably the equivalent of Gardiner + Leafs 1st + another decent prospect. If his contract was something like 4-5 years I'd be a lot more enthusiastic, but I'm just really hesitant to take on a 10-year deal (or whatever it is), especially with a new CBA on the way. Some teams could find themselves crippled with these contracts. Chances are the new CBA will have a limit on contract length, and so that won't be an issue going forward.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#32 » by Crowned » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:11 am

^ Komisarek's cap hit vs. actual salary may be attractive to some teams. He'll have a salary of 3.5 million, but a cap hit of 4.5 million. That type of contract may be beneficial to a team wanting to hit the cap floor. It'll be tough to get rid of him, but not totally unrealistic.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#33 » by whysoserious » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:21 pm

The Leafs should just get Komisarek off their own cap by having him play for the Marlies. He's good insurance in case of injuries. Sure if you can find someone to take him, make the move.

If Carter going to LA makes Brown/Bernier available which they talked about on TSN, that's the deal Burke needs to make. He can then worry about a C later on. Would a package of Grabo/MacArthur, and either Schenn or Kadri get you both guys? Not sure i'm ready to give up on Schenn but getting Brown and Bernier might be worth it in the long-run. With Aulie in the wings and Gunnarson, Liles, Franson and Phaneuf, it may be a good time to cash in on Schenn.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,400

Post#34 » by YogiStewart » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:12 pm

Leafs put Boyce and Rosehill on waivers.

So....Rick Nash time, anyone?

Yesterday, i thought the Leafs would make 2-3 trades. Steve Buffery thought they would hold tight.

looks like Yogi wins.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,932

Re: Trade deadline thread 

Post#35 » by ATLTimekeeper » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:07 pm

Apparently Brown isn't available. I think Bernier could be had relatively inexpensively. It's not like he's battle-tested. Much more in favour of something a little milder that gives the team a kick rather than a major shake-up. I basically want to ensure Lombardi is in the press box the rest of the way and Komi stays there.
sanity
RealGM

Post#36 » by sanity » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:22 pm

I think Dustin Brown would be a great pickup (a lot of people + Eklund claim he's done in LA---no certainty of it though from his own camp). Nash I'm still unsure about. I think Columbus got their return from Carter in the form of great D. Not sure what it would take for us to get him as far as what we're willing to trade. Shenn I'd do, but I dunno if they would want him anymore. JVR is still a possibility, but again, after Philly went out and solidified their blue-line I don't know if Shenn would be enough anymore to get that one done either.

Colby Armstrong is getting some attention from the Jets. It would be a minor return but he does need to get off of this team

Given how our goaltending has been pretty weak in the past couple weeks I wouldn't mind seeing one of them shopped around. I really doubt we'll make the playoffs with the Caps breathing down our necks with Green healthy again. It'll take a lot to maintain the 8th seed. A panic move to barely squeak in and get wrecked by NY/Boston is totally unnecessary

RE: Komeisarak... I agree about sending him down. Not sure of the personal ramifications of it, but it really sucks having both him and Jeff Finger making all that $ and being virtually useless to this team
_venom_
Assistant Coach
And1: 100

Post#37 » by _venom_ » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:18 pm

Sending Komisarek to the minors is all fine and dandy if it was possible. He has a no movement clause so he can't be waived or sent to the minors. Sadly Komisarek is going to stay on this team until his contract is up. That's why the Leafs will need to move Schenn at some point.

If they can find a taker for Armstrong I wouldn't hesitate to move him for a bag of pucks. He has been an utter disaster for us. Same with Lombardi.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#38 » by whysoserious » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:45 pm

_venom_ wrote:Sending Komisarek to the minors is all fine and dandy if it was possible. He has a no movement clause so he can't be waived or sent to the minors. Sadly Komisarek is going to stay on this team until his contract is up. That's why the Leafs will need to move Schenn at some point.

If they can find a taker for Armstrong I wouldn't hesitate to move him for a bag of pucks. He has been an utter disaster for us. Same with Lombardi.

Did not know about the no movement clause in Komi's contract. That's horrible if Burke included that on top of the money he gave him.

As much as I still have faith Schenn can be a very good defensemen, with Phaneuf, Gunnarson, Franson, Gardiner and Aulie in the wings, Schenn should be traded at this point for some up front help.

Would Schenn for Bernier work? Schenn could work next to Doughty and Bernier fills a need. Also, would Philly swap Schenn's?
sanity
RealGM

Post#39 » by sanity » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:27 pm

Given that we're now sitting in 10th place (Washington just overtook us), I think it might be fair to say that we're done now as far as the season/playoffs are concerned. There is simply too much competition now for the 8th seed and to put it frankly...the teams just above/below us are better.

I'd play Komisarek just in hopes of boosting his trade value to move him in the offseason (if possible) and look towards dealing Shenn so Gunnar/Franson/Gardiner/Aulie can get their minutes the rest of the way with Liles back in the lineup. Our D looks good even without Shenn heading into next season.

Bernier would be an excellent pickup if possible---allows us to have Reimer as his backup for the foreseeable future and deal Gustavsson somewhere who does hold some value
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,932

Post#40 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:35 pm

sanity wrote:Given that we're now sitting in 10th place (Washington just overtook us), I think it might be fair to say that we're done now as far as the season/playoffs are concerned. There is simply too much competition now for the 8th seed and to put it frankly...the teams just above/below us are better.

I'd play Komisarek just in hopes of boosting his trade value to move him in the offseason (if possible) and look towards dealing Shenn so Gunnar/Franson/Gardiner/Aulie can get their minutes the rest of the way with Liles back in the lineup. Our D looks good even without Shenn heading into next season.

Bernier would be an excellent pickup if possible---allows us to have Reimer as his backup for the foreseeable future and deal Gustavsson somewhere who does hold some value

We're 1 point out with 20 games left.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs