ImageImageImage

Trade deadline thread

Moderator: Crowned

TheRealistGM
Veteran
And1: 849

Re: Trade deadline thread 

Post#41 » by TheRealistGM » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:59 pm

Yeah, basically a quarter of the season is still left. The teams around us haven't been playing much better either. If any one of them had gotten hot then the leafs would by now be seeing there playoff chances fade. But right now they are right in the thick of things.
thekidcoder
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#42 » by thekidcoder » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:23 pm

Why doesn't Burke go after Josh Harding/Ryan Miller and Rick Nash by trading a combination of Gustavsson/Reimer, Gardner, Kadri, Aulie, and Grabovski/Schenn. I'm not saying in any way that we should trade ALL of them but a few of them could be traded and we could have solid goaltending with a five time Canadian all star playing alongside Kessel and Phaneuf. I know it's a lot to give up but shouldn't he do something considering we haven't made the playoffs, since the lockout.
TheRealistGM
Veteran
And1: 849

Post#43 » by TheRealistGM » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:42 pm

Kadri, Schenn, Kulemin and a 1st was said to be "not enough" for Rick Nash.

Aulie doesn't have high enough value to grab you a star. Grabo will want a big extension this summer, so again his value is not high for teams like Columbus and Buffalo, who would want assets for the future.

Gus and Reim will not fetch you much.

We barely have enough assets to grab one of those guys. You can forget about both.
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#44 » by sanity » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:59 pm

Any trade for a star type of player will cost you Gardiner---who has a very good chance at becoming a perennial star player himself. It isn't worth it if the team won't be competitive in a few seasons. The thing that is the concern right now is Grabo and how much he'll want (hopefully not more than 4/per)

And yeah I recognize there are ~20 games left to be played, but this team needs to seriously buckle down (esp. Reimer/Gust). A lot of weak goals have been costing us points in the last month or so

Update: We might still be in the bidding for Steve Ott and it looks like the Rangers are still trying for Nash (dealing Wolski to clear salary)
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#45 » by whysoserious » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:05 pm

I hope they don't move Gardiner at this point. I think the better option for this team is to be sellers to a certain extent.

At this point, they should target Bernier or Linback, both better prospects at this point than the goalies we have in th system. I also wouldn't mind at this point moving Grabovski and giving Colborne an extended look for the rest of the season as the second line center.

At seasons end, I hope Burke comes to his senses and gets rid of Wilson, This guy has constantly put the blame on others and has never accepted any responsibility for the teams play.

I'd also take a hard look at Derek Roy from Buffalo, could be a good fit between Kessel and Lupol.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#46 » by whysoserious » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:40 pm

I would also add, if Nash is in play and Toronto is serious, I'd look at moving Kessel in a deal for him. I think Kessel's had a great year but I don't believe that this guy can be the primary offensive player on a winning team. Something about him just doesn't lead to the belief that this is the guy. I'd rather have Nash than him, regardless of salary.

I doubt CBJ wants that salary but it does give them an offensive weapon at lesser money than Nash.
xxxCrosby87xx
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#47 » by xxxCrosby87xx » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:44 pm

Brian Burke Interview On TSN NHL Tradecentre
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlG7cDu2z6I
Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,485

Post#48 » by Bankai » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:56 pm

Leafs just sent Keith Aulie out.. heard on TSN Radio, he is going to Tampa Bay for prospect Carter Ashton.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#49 » by Crowned » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:15 pm

-Apparently Burke was offered a nice package for Reimer, which was obviously declined.

- Burke was offered a first for Grabovski

- Dregger reporting Nash is pushing for a trade to be done today. Good news.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#50 » by whysoserious » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:35 pm

I'd move Grabo at this point and try and sign him if you want in the off-season. A first-rounder would be great.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#51 » by Crowned » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:46 pm

Leafs are out on Nash. They're not making a final push for him.

I think that'll be it folks. If anything, I think we'll see a Colby Armstrong type of trade, but that's about it.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#52 » by whysoserious » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:43 pm

Cody Hodgson would have been a good pick up for the Leafs, oh well.
whysoserious
RealGM

Re: When Is Burke going to make 'that trade'? 

Post#53 » by whysoserious » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:04 pm

YogiStewart wrote:Leafs put Boyce and Rosehill on waivers.

So....Rick Nash time, anyone?

Yesterday, i thought the Leafs would make 2-3 trades. Steve Buffery thought they would hold tight.

looks like Yogi wins.

Well you were right about 2 trades although I think you were thinking more immediate help and Burke didn't panic and made a couple of solid NHL deals.
Ducksplatt
Sixth Man
And1: 622

Trade deadline thread 

Post#54 » by Ducksplatt » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:40 am

Glad this is over.
Now I can focus on my "fire Ron Wilson" rants.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe
- Albert Einstein
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#55 » by Crowned » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:19 pm

Burke was offered a first rounder for Macarthur, Grabovski, Schenn and Kulemin.

I surely hope he didn't reject a first round pick for Kulemin and Macarthur. That's brutal.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#56 » by whysoserious » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:43 pm

Crowned wrote:Burke was offered a first rounder for Macarthur, Grabovski, Schenn and Kulemin.

I surely hope he didn't reject a first round pick for Kulemin and Macarthur. That's brutal.

As poor of an overall year everyone seems to think McArthur has had this year, the guy has 18 goals. I was shocked seeing this this week. I like him and am not sure where I sit on this front with Kulemin and McArthur. To me, you move Grabo for the first-rounder and possibly one of Kulemin/McArthur for another. If you want to re-sign Grabo, try in the off-season. Otherwise at this point just make the trades and give Colborne/Kadri a legit run with the second line.

Although, Wilson would probably ruin those kids confidence.

I wonder if Wilson does get fired, and I believe he should after 4 years and possibly 1 or no playoff appearances, if Eakins is the guy to get the job and run with the young overall group.
_venom_
Assistant Coach
And1: 100

Post#57 » by _venom_ » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:56 pm

I would have probably moved Grabovski and Macarthur for 1sts but not Schenn or Kulemin. Despite Kulemin's poor season I'm still a fan of his and believe he can get back to his scoring ways in the future. Maybe not a 30 goal scorer but he should be a consistent 20-25 goal guy with good size and great defensively. Hopefully this bad season by him means we can get him locked up to a cheap deal in the offseason.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#58 » by Crowned » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:40 pm

MacArthur is a dime a dozen player in my opinion. As decent of a season he's had (and had last year), he's replaceable, and getting a first round pick for him is great value. Kulemin on the other hand brings different skillsets that are quite valuable. I think his poor play (and so I've been told) is a result of the Russian plane crash, and the effects it's had on him. With that said, Burke could've pushed for aittle more for him. A first round pick, and an above average prospect for a struggling player is good value as well.

Regarding Schenn, it really depends on where the team was in the standings. If we could've gotten a top 10-13 pick for him along with something else, I think I would've done it. Considering what we got for Aulie, I think the return on Schenn would've been even better. Trading him for a first round pick and a prospect would've freed up over 3 million in salary, which could be used elsewhere. I'm not a fan of trading Schenn for the most part, but the depth on defense could've made it easy to swallow.

Unlikely (there's never this type of volume for a team on deadline day), but had Burke pulled the trigger on;

- MacArthur for a first
- Schenn for a first and prospect
- Kulemin and/or Grabovski for a first and prospect
- Armstrong for a 3rd

...I really don't think it would've set us back THAT much, and having up to 4 first round picks with the prospects we have would make it a much more accelerated rebuild. Call up Frattin, Colborne and Kadri to finish up the season, and spend that freed up cap space in the summer and try again next year.
_venom_
Assistant Coach
And1: 100

Post#59 » by _venom_ » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:07 pm

Crowned wrote:MacArthur is a dime a dozen player in my opinion. As decent of a season he's had (and had last year), he's replaceable, and getting a first round pick for him is great value. Kulemin on the other hand brings different skillsets that are quite valuable. I think his poor play (and so I've been told) is a result of the Russian plane crash, and the effects it's had on him. With that said, Burke could've pushed for aittle more for him. A first round pick, and an above average prospect for a struggling player is good value as well.

Regarding Schenn, it really depends on where the team was in the standings. If we could've gotten a top 10-13 pick for him along with something else, I think I would've done it. Considering what we got for Aulie, I think the return on Schenn would've been even better. Trading him for a first round pick and a prospect would've freed up over 3 million in salary, which could be used elsewhere. I'm not a fan of trading Schenn for the most part, but the depth on defense could've made it easy to swallow.

Unlikely (there's never this type of volume for a team on deadline day), but had Burke pulled the trigger on;

- MacArthur for a first
- Schenn for a first and prospect
- Kulemin and/or Grabovski for a first and prospect
- Armstrong for a 3rd

...I really don't think it would've set us back THAT much, and having up to 4 first round picks with the prospects we have would make it a much more accelerated rebuild. Call up Frattin, Colborne and Kadri to finish up the season, and spend that freed up cap space in the summer and try again next year.

The problem with a complete firesale like your suggesting is that you'd be putting a lot of faith into Burke in free agency which is the area where he struggles most imo. Komisarek and Armstrong are probably his 2 worst moves as Leafs GM. I don't think throwing out a team full of rookies is necessarily the best recipe for not only their development but the team's development.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs