Keith Aulie traded to Tampa for Carter Ashton

Moderator: Crowned

Al_Oliver
Sixth Man
And1: 201

Re: Keith Aulie traded to Tampa for Carter Ashton 

Post#21 » by Al_Oliver » Sun Mar 4, 2012 3:47 pm

Deron05 wrote:
Crowned wrote:It doesn't matter if it were offered before Hodgson or not, you're looking at what Kassian was worth, and what Buffalo wanted in exchange for him. Kadri doesn't have value that either Kassian or Hodgson has.

Games played in the NHL doesn't determine a players value. Aulie was drafted in 2007, Ashton was drafted in 2009...at this point, Aulie should have experience in the NHL.

Ashton has the same amount of points this year in the AHL as Colborne, and is a year younger. Does Colborne have less value than Aulie?

Yes.

No chance, that's just silly. Colborne is our top centre prospect and Aulie was way down the depth chart for d-men and was dropping...
Deron05
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#22 » by Deron05 » Sun Mar 4, 2012 5:28 pm

Al_Oliver wrote:
Deron05 wrote:
Crowned wrote:It doesn't matter if it were offered before Hodgson or not, you're looking at what Kassian was worth, and what Buffalo wanted in exchange for him. Kadri doesn't have value that either Kassian or Hodgson has.

Games played in the NHL doesn't determine a players value. Aulie was drafted in 2007, Ashton was drafted in 2009...at this point, Aulie should have experience in the NHL.

Ashton has the same amount of points this year in the AHL as Colborne, and is a year younger. Does Colborne have less value than Aulie?

Yes.

No chance, that's just silly. Colborne is our top centre prospect and Aulie was way down the depth chart for d-men and was dropping...

WHAT? Aulie was way down on the depth chart? Yeah right, he was like the best D-man on the Marlies.
Lol, Colborne is probably the most over rated prospect we have.
Al_Oliver
Sixth Man
And1: 201

Post#23 » by Al_Oliver » Sun Mar 4, 2012 6:38 pm

I would put Holzer, Blacker (and possibly Percy) ahead of Aulie. He never improved, in fact he got worse from last year
Deron05
Banned User

Post#24 » by Deron05 » Sun Mar 4, 2012 6:46 pm

Al_Oliver wrote:I would put Holzer, Blacker (and possibly Percy) ahead of Aulie. He never improved, in fact he got worse from last year

Woah. Maybe Holzer is better than him, but yeah, he did take a step back, but I still feel that he was one of the best or the best defence man on the Marlies.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#25 » by Crowned » Sun Mar 4, 2012 9:08 pm

Deron05 wrote:

Yes.

No.

I'm not referring to talent, I'm talking about percieved value on the trade market. Most teams would view Colborne as the more valuable player.
Deron05
Banned User

Post#26 » by Deron05 » Sun Mar 4, 2012 9:29 pm

Crowned wrote:
Deron05 wrote:

Yes.

No.

I'm not referring to talent, I'm talking about percieved value on the trade market. Most teams would view Colborne as the more valuable player.

I doubt it. Everyone thinks this guy is going to be soo good. They think he will be the center kessel needs. Hes not, listen to Bob Mckenzie and other analyst, they say that at best colborne will be a second line center, but he is most likely to be a third line center. Aulie, has played top 4 d-man minutes in the NHL. He was paired with Phaneuf, and they were great defensively. Aulie has shown that he can play in the NHL, and I would take that over a guy that is projected to be a third line center with no NHL experience.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#27 » by whysoserious » Mon Mar 5, 2012 2:20 pm

Deron05 wrote:I doubt it. Everyone thinks this guy is going to be soo good. They think he will be the center kessel needs. Hes not, listen to Bob Mckenzie and other analyst, they say that at best colborne will be a second line center, but he is most likely to be a third line center. Aulie, has played top 4 d-man minutes in the NHL. He was paired with Phaneuf, and they were great defensively. Aulie has shown that he can play in the NHL, and I would take that over a guy that is projected to be a third line center with no NHL experience.

I think the thing with Colborne is that experts seem to be projecting him 2nd or 3rd line center and fans seem to be over valuing him as you said. The thing with Colborne though is he has the physical tools to be a number one center, whether he gets there or not is different. It's one reason why I would have moved Grabbo for that first-rounder and given Colborne an extended look on the second line to end the season, just to see what the kid could do at the big league level.

As for Aulie, we dealt from a position of strength and added more young talent up front. Aulie was good and I liked him and he'll be a good NHL'er but sometimes you need to move assets from positions of strength to add in areas of weakness. This was a good trade for both teams.
Deron05
Banned User

Post#28 » by Deron05 » Tue Mar 6, 2012 6:10 pm

whysoserious wrote:
Deron05 wrote:I doubt it. Everyone thinks this guy is going to be soo good. They think he will be the center kessel needs. Hes not, listen to Bob Mckenzie and other analyst, they say that at best colborne will be a second line center, but he is most likely to be a third line center. Aulie, has played top 4 d-man minutes in the NHL. He was paired with Phaneuf, and they were great defensively. Aulie has shown that he can play in the NHL, and I would take that over a guy that is projected to be a third line center with no NHL experience.

I think the thing with Colborne is that experts seem to be projecting him 2nd or 3rd line center and fans seem to be over valuing him as you said. The thing with Colborne though is he has the physical tools to be a number one center, whether he gets there or not is different. It's one reason why I would have moved Grabbo for that first-rounder and given Colborne an extended look on the second line to end the season, just to see what the kid could do at the big league level.

As for Aulie, we dealt from a position of strength and added more young talent up front. Aulie was good and I liked him and he'll be a good NHL'er but sometimes you need to move assets from positions of strength to add in areas of weakness. This was a good trade for both teams.

I agree with almost a everything except the, put colborne at second line center. I would've moved Grabovski to a very desperate team, like nashville. He could've got something way more than a first since Buffalo got a first for Kaustad.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs