Total votes: 8

YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,400

Tank or push for 8th? 

Post#1 » by YogiStewart » Wed Mar 7, 2012 1:09 pm

With 18 games to go, the Leafs have to make a choice:

a) do you make an all-out push for the 8th playoff spot, where you will likely have to go 12-6 for a share of 8th spot and then meet the Ranges in the 1st round? oh, and 11 of your remaining games are against teams in the playoffs or in a dogfight for the final playoff spot in the East. or,
b) you play for a high draft pick. Leafs have 1 game vs Hurricaines and 1 vs Islanders. Lose both of those games and the Leafs possibly jump up 2 spots in the draft. pull off a semi-decent tank and the Leafs are drafting 4th overall.

What do you choose?
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,932

Re: Tank or push for 8th? 

Post#2 » by ATLTimekeeper » Wed Mar 7, 2012 2:27 pm

Go for the playoffs. It's not the NBA. 8th seeds can upset 1st seeds and it's not all that unusual to make cup runs. Plus the momentum of making the playoffs would be useful for the next season. I believe we're the 2nd youngest team in the league, so it would bode well for our future if we could squeak in.
_venom_
Assistant Coach
And1: 100

Post#3 » by _venom_ » Wed Mar 7, 2012 2:35 pm

What the fans want and what the players do is completely separate. Carlysle will coach to win and players will play to win. I don't see us being bad enough to drop all the way down to 4th worst in the league (Montreal, Edmonton, and Columbus are unreachable imo). So either we play mediocre and end up with a 7-9 pick or we play awful and end up with a 4-6 pick or we go on a tear and make the playoffs. I don't think any of those situations are that much better than another. I personally would rather make the playoffs then move up a couple extra spots in this draft. I would like to see my team play playoff hockey for the first time in a long time. Do I think they'll they make? Absolutely not.
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#4 » by sanity » Wed Mar 7, 2012 2:58 pm

Carlysle will try and push the team into the playoffs. I doubt it happens, but I'll take the month and a half or so of a team that looks more competent than what this team turned into in February. The high(er) draft pick is nice, but there is also the factor of trying to push up Komisarek's/Armstrong's value to help with possible trades in the summer. One of Reimer or Gustavvson will also be dealt so its important that they look (potential!) as if they could be a lot better than what they are now.

If we somehow make the playoffs we will get wrecked by the Rangers. They are that good :(

I'm looking forward to seeing Carter Ashton play next season
Deron05
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#5 » by Deron05 » Wed Mar 7, 2012 4:37 pm

sanity wrote:Carlysle will try and push the team into the playoffs. I doubt it happens, but I'll take the month and a half or so of a team that looks more competent than what this team turned into in February. The high(er) draft pick is nice, but there is also the factor of trying to push up Komisarek's/Armstrong's value to help with possible trades in the summer. One of Reimer or Gustavvson will also be dealt so its important that they look (potential!) as if they could be a lot better than what they are now.

If we somehow make the playoffs we will get wrecked by the Rangers. They are that good :(

I'm looking forward to seeing Carter Ashton play next season

Ashton is playing tonight BTW. And am I the only one that thinks a playoff run is over? Like Buffalo and Tampa passed us.
sanity
RealGM

Post#6 » by sanity » Wed Mar 7, 2012 7:33 pm

Oh he is? Nice.

Yeah, I think we're practically screwed now that Lupol is out with an injury (they say for a month or so). Oh well. Next season!

Buffalo is playing very well at the moment and Ryan Miller is red hot. If anyone I'd say they're practically a playoff lock
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#7 » by ATLTimekeeper » Thu Mar 8, 2012 3:17 pm

In some ways I would prefer we tank because it's painful to see these guys try their hardest and still come up short when it matters most. That stat they posted last night that said there were only 6 players from our last playoff appearance still active in the league really poured salt in the wound.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#8 » by whysoserious » Thu Mar 8, 2012 3:29 pm

I think Carlyle should take the rest of the season, tank or not tanking, to focus on teaching defense even in the games. Not that he's not doing that, but just focus on that and take the pressure of the guys of the playoffs off them. Just worry about this and let the chips fall where they may.
sanity
RealGM

Post#9 » by sanity » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:37 pm

The way things are looking, we could finish 8th or finish practically 2nd or 3rd last in the league. Preferably we should aim for a higher draft pick which could make getting someone like Nash or dumping Komie that much easier.

I hope Carlyle plays Ashton for the rest of the season, and even calls up Kadri. I like that he moved Connelly to the wing lol. If Connelly isn't gonna take hits and float like a pansy, his ass is put on the wing. I hated how Wilson kept putting him at center on Kessel's line
Waylon Mercy
Banned User
And1: 6,644

Post#10 » by Waylon Mercy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:42 pm

Tank baby! I think we can get the 3rd worst record in the league. The Leafs need some
high end young talent.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#11 » by ATLTimekeeper » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:44 am

At this point, just keep doing what we're doing. I think Burke's already been on record as saying he thinks the draft is weak, so there are probably going to be a 2 or 3 hall of famers drafted after the position we trade out of to get Cory Schneider.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#12 » by whysoserious » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:59 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:At this point, just keep doing what we're doing. I think Burke's already been on record as saying he thinks the draft is weak, so there are probably going to be a 2 or 3 hall of famers drafted after the position we trade out of to get Cory Schneider.

Would you still make the move on our pick to get Schneider? I think it's a risky gamble worth donig if you follow it up. I wonder if there's a package for Nash that would send Kessel back and a prospect plus future pick. Nash and Kessel are both RW'ers and I'd take Nash over him.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,400

Post#13 » by YogiStewart » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:39 pm

from a salary cap point of view, trading this year's pick isn't nor should be an option.
you can't afford to take Nash.
that means Lupol doesn't have a future with the team. Or, possibly, Gardiner. Can't re-sign those guys in 2 years.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#14 » by whysoserious » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:49 pm

YogiStewart wrote:from a salary cap point of view, trading this year's pick isn't nor should be an option.
you can't afford to take Nash.
that means Lupol doesn't have a future with the team. Or, possibly, Gardiner. Can't re-sign those guys in 2 years.

In 2 year's though, guys will be coming off the books. You got a chance at Nash, you should take it especially if you can move Kessel for him with a few other pieces.

Personally, if they can get Nash by giving up Kessel and, say a 2013 first rounder, hold on to this years, or move it for Schneider, that's a pretty solid start to the off-season.

Besides, Lupol had one good season. And I like him but he hasn't proven yet that he's a key core piece that must be re-signed at all costs.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#15 » by Crowned » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:44 pm

If we're sitting at a top 4-5 pick, I'd keep it. If it lands at around #8 or #9, I'd deal it to Vancouver if they'd be interested.
leafsfan89
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#16 » by leafsfan89 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:00 pm

Tanking should never be an option. Its completely stupid, and im sure the player's arent interested in losing. "You PLAY to WIN the game!". It just boosts confidence for the team, hopefully with these remaining games left, leafs can build up some chemistry going into next year and possibly try and solve out this goalie situation. Maybe give Reimer the extra load. Gustavsson has been playing alot of but people are suggesting he wont be back next year.

Leafs are definitely stuck in no mans land however, they are as far from 8th as they are to last place. Probably closer to last place now, seems like montreal doesnt care to acquire a top 3 pick. The only player i would be highly interested in acquiring in the draft is Grigorenko. I can see the leafs trying to trade up to acquire Grigorenko, he is the best centre in the draft and that's our number one focus right now. Lets see if this will happen!
"Yes they deserved to die, and i hope they burn in hell!"
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#17 » by whysoserious » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:23 pm

leafsfan89 wrote:Tanking should never be an option. Its completely stupid, and im sure the player's arent interested in losing. "You PLAY to WIN the game!". It just boosts confidence for the team, hopefully with these remaining games left, leafs can build up some chemistry going into next year and possibly try and solve out this goalie situation. Maybe give Reimer the extra load. Gustavsson has been playing alot of but people are suggesting he wont be back next year.

Leafs are definitely stuck in no mans land however, they are as far from 8th as they are to last place. Probably closer to last place now, seems like montreal doesnt care to acquire a top 3 pick. The only player i would be highly interested in acquiring in the draft is Grigorenko. I can see the leafs trying to trade up to acquire Grigorenko, he is the best centre in the draft and that's our number one focus right now. Lets see if this will happen!

At the end of the day, the players themselves are never actually going to tank games. In fact, I doubt a coach or organization actually ever tanks. This term gets used by fans but at this point, there's no point in winning games. It does boost the confidence of players, but hurts the team overall. They need a solid pick. If they continue to show incremental improvements as they have been but keep losing, it's a win-win. If only they could call up a few more guys and get them in NHL games working with Carlyle and his system.
TheRealistGM
Veteran
And1: 849

Post#18 » by TheRealistGM » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:56 pm

The leafs are waiting until they are almost mathematically eliminated before going on a long winning streak to finish the year in 9th
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#19 » by whysoserious » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:00 pm

That seems to be the pattern of years past. Hopefully Burke has learned a few guys come down with some mysterious injuries this time. It's one thing to say it publically that we're not giving up and will try and win as many games as possible, but it's just extended the rebuild further down the road for the past 4 years.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#20 » by whysoserious » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:41 pm

Kulemin out 3 weeks with broken figner as per TSN.

The tank rolls on. Hopefully we can call up one of the Marlies for a few weeks.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs