ImageImageImage

Trade Ideas

Moderator: ijspeelman

Triumph36
Starter
And1: 0

Re: Trade Ideas 

Post#1461 » by Triumph36 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:56 am

If Williams is considered the second option that says a lot of things about the Cavs - none of which are good.
zol2332
Sophomore

Post#1462 » by zol2332 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:57 am

Triumph36 wrote:If Williams is considered the second option that says a lot of things about the Cavs - none of which are good.

Yes. Which is why the draft has to be our friend.
CBNS--Cleveland Basketball Never Stops
Nirvana
Pro Prospect

Post#1463 » by Nirvana » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:47 am

I have to feel that with some PGs going down around the league, Sessions trade value might be on the rise. Too bad the T-Wolves don't have their 1st this year.
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,839

Post#1464 » by mcfly1204 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:20 pm

Nirvana wrote:I have to feel that with some PGs going down around the league, Sessions trade value might be on the rise. Too bad the T-Wolves don't have their 1st this year.

I would not be opposed to a Sessions for Randolph swap.
Well at least we're not Detroit!
zol2332
Sophomore

Post#1465 » by zol2332 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:02 am

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1097 ... e-deadline

I say yes. Maybe with Andy out we still miss the playoffs and end with a first round lottery pick this year....

http://www.iamagm.com/teams/cleveland.cavaliers

We are high on Gordon. They are willing to couple a lottery pick to get rid of Okafor. Dumping Ariza is just gravy for them...
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,064

Post#1466 » by tidho » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:56 pm

The Hornet deal is a little too good to be true. I get that we're taking on a ton of salary, but I suspect Gordon will be the sticking point not allowing that one to happen.

I'd be perfectly happy with the Jamison for Okafur and Minny 1st that seemed to be in play a couple days ago.
zol2332
Sophomore

Post#1467 » by zol2332 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:03 pm

tidho wrote:The Hornet deal is a little too good to be true. I get that we're taking on a ton of salary, but I suspect Gordon will be the sticking point not allowing that one to happen.

I'd be perfectly happy with the Jamison for Okafur and Minny 1st that seemed to be in play a couple days ago.

I agree. I like that deal. However, how much more is Gordon worth to them over a lottery pick? The NBA owns them, and Gordon is a RFA who's about to bank some dough. The Hornets can't afford it, plus he already declined their extension offer because he wants out. My guess? Taking Ariza as well would make up the difference of value from a lotto pick to Gordon.
Nirvana
Pro Prospect

Post#1468 » by Nirvana » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:24 pm

They just traded Chris Paul for Eric Gordon and that lottery pick that didn't turn out to be as good as they would have hoped. If they trade Eric Gordon for our garbage, I doubt it would be received very kindly in NO. Also, like tidho said, it's not extremely likely that Eric Gordon will sign an extension with us.
ClipperDrago
Junior

Post#1469 » by ClipperDrago » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:05 pm

I want to see Eric Gordon play for half a season and be healthy before trying to go after him.

I don't care if he is a potential top 5 shooting guard.
BossHoggin
General Manager
And1: 571

Post#1470 » by BossHoggin » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:09 pm

That article is from the bleacherreport.

Why even click the link?
Heat3Peat wrote:See this is why it's nice being a LeBron fan, no super hard allegiance to a team so there is no up and down emotions with me during a time like this.
Triumph36
Starter

Post#1471 » by Triumph36 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:39 pm

zol2332 wrote:
tidho wrote:The Hornet deal is a little too good to be true. I get that we're taking on a ton of salary, but I suspect Gordon will be the sticking point not allowing that one to happen.

I agree. I like that deal. However, how much more is Gordon worth to them over a lottery pick? The NBA owns them, and Gordon is a RFA who's about to bank some dough. The Hornets can't afford it, plus he already declined their extension offer because he wants out. My guess? Taking Ariza as well would make up the difference of value from a lotto pick to Gordon.
There is a salary floor so paying Gordon is not an issue.

If you mean "get wildly overpaid" by saying "bank some dough" then I agree which is why I want the Cavs to stay away from him.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,624

Post#1472 » by Roger Murdock » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:36 am

The Bucks-Warriors trade helps our chances of missing the playoffs. Ellis will get them in to the 8 seed.
Triumph36
Starter

Post#1473 » by Triumph36 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:13 am

Since a Jennings/Ellis backcourt will lead them to so many wins...
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,624

Post#1474 » by Roger Murdock » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:45 am

Triumph36 wrote:Since a Jennings/Ellis backcourt will lead them to so many wins...

Their games aren't nearly as similar as people seem to be thinking, and I think he adds a hell of a lot more to their team than an injured Bogut and a crappy Jackson.
heathmalc
Analyst
And1: 16

Post#1475 » by heathmalc » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:16 am

I think the Cavs have a couple things on the table , and they are waiting on one of those teams to make a decision. (Not a fact, or rumor...just something I think is going on).

The first domino, as has been said over and over concerns Dwight. I think the Nets and Cavs may have a deal-in-principle on the table. The hold-up is whether the Nets can find a better deal before the deadline (thus the rumored conversations about CJ Miles). The problem, as I see it though, is that the Jazz are VERY flexible, and don't have to do anything - So I don't see their deal being better, but rather them matching what the Cavs are essentially offering. On the Nets' side they can get Miles, get rid of the cap holds (Morrow, Houston pick,etc), and have a better SF to pair with a line-up that would include Williams,Howard, Lopez and Brooks. The Cavs on the other hand, and take the Salary without having to send back any players, then could scoop-up additional contracts in an extended deal.

I think we'll know by tomorrow night (tonight) whether or nor it'll be the Cavs or Jazz that does a deal with the Nets (Basically for Houston's 1st).

The second deal, which I think is contingent on what the Nets are gonna do, is a straight up salary-dump for New Orleans. The Cavs would get Minnesota's 1st in that deal...but would be taking on a lot more financial commitment. New Orleans meanwhile is looking for back-ups in-case nothing happens with the Cavs.

The third thing, and this is independent of the above scenarios, has to do with Sessions. The Lakers have restarted talks with the Cavs, but they broke off yesterday again. Indiana, Atlanta and the Lakers are all interested in Sessions, and a couple of offers are probably on the table, waiting on the Cavs' decision. But those deals, I think, do not include any picks (1st rounders anyway). I think the Cavs are holding out hope as long as they can that the Lakers will send them a 1st for Sessions (Maybe with a future 2nd going back to the Lakers?). I think that if the Lakers don't break, that the Cavs try to get Atlanta's 1st with Marvin Williams for Sessions & a future 2nd. If Atlanta wont go for that, then the Cavs will decide between the players that have been offered for Sessions sans a 1st rounder. If a SG is available (preferably younger), then that may be the way they go.

So many different possibilities due to the way this new CBA has effected the deadline.

Anyway, even if nothing I said is remotely close to what eventually does, or does not happen, it gives us something else to think about for a few more hours, as we wait for"the" tweet.
We the People...
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,064

Post#1476 » by tidho » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:03 pm

^ I just hope you're right.

Not familiar with the Nets deal but I'm on board with the Bobcats deal.
Makes sense to move Sessions even if you don't get the 1st.
heathmalc
Analyst

Post#1477 » by heathmalc » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:20 am

Well, the first two parts of my last post, which were contingent on the Nets, and Dwight, have pretty much been answered. Dwight is signing the ETO (Early termination option), so he/ll be there through at-least next year.

The third part of what I considered our best options (Sessions), is still in play. I'm doubting that Sessions is traded to the Lakers unless it's for their Trade exception. I'm not sure if the Cavaliers care to have the exception because they will have approximately $20m in cap space this summer, so unless Indiana & Atlanta cannot put something together, then I think it's more likely that Sessions would stay with the Cavs as opposed to being traded for the TPE (unless he "requested it himself" whgich he hasn't).

Jamison is almost definitely staying in Cleveland

The Atlanta Hawks appear to be the most likely to make a deal with the Cavs for Sessions. They have $60 million committed to 6 players next season, and have to sign a minimum of 7 more to make the roster minimum. I think the Cavaliers may have a pretty decent shot at getting their (Atlanta's 1st) for Sessions because Teague is really pissing Smith & his other team-mates off.

This is the sort of deal I see as possible:

Atlants gets: Sessions, & Sac 1st. (Cavs will try to do deal with one of Orlando's 2nd's first)

Cavs get: Marvin + (Atlanta 2012 1st, top-15 protected).

Why: Atlanta gets 8 million off next season's cap number, and allows them to move on after the Williams pick never worked for them. At the same time, Sessions will give them a looksy and let them know whether Teague is expendable. If Sessions plays well enough, then Atlanta may sign him to a 3 year 18m contract, and Atlanta will be able to trade Teague during draft for a later pick (LAL?). Cavs move Gee over to SG & start Williams with Casspi backing up MW, and the Cavs get the 2nd 1st rounder that they wanted. They give up the Sac pick, but they have a good shot at never seeing that pick, and with this being such a strong draft, it would be worth it anyway, especially with the Cavs owning two 1st rounders in 2013 & 2015.
We the People...
heathmalc
Analyst

Post#1478 » by heathmalc » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:37 am

little bit of an update, even though Sam Amico isn't the most reliable of reporters, here are a couple excerpts from an article early this morning, that could effect the Cavaliers:

NBA trade-deadline buzz, early morning edition
By Sam Amico

A few quick things to tip off your NBA trade deadline day. The deadline, by the way, is 3 p.m. EST:

* Several sources have said that if the three-team deal between the Lakers, Timberwolves and Trail Blazers takes place, it might be Luke Ridnour of the T-Wolves going to the Blazers.....
    * If Ridnour is indeed the man headed to the Blazers, that would significantly decrease the chances that the Lakers trade for Cavaliers point guard Ramon Sessions. Hard to envision L.A. wanting another point guard with Blake and starter Derrick Fisher already on the team.
    * The Cavs were having trade discussions with the Hornets for center Emeka Okafor — but the Hornets ended talks when the Cavs pressed about obtaining one of the Hornets’ two first-round picks, reported the New Orleans Times-Picayune.

If Indiana does, in-fact trade for Kaman (likely for a 2nd), that would not only take-up Indiana's cap-space, but would put the Hornets under the cap by about 8 million, so they'd have no reason to trade off Emeka Okafur. This trade would essentially remove two possible Cavaliers trade-partners. Indiana is unlikely anyway, but with nobody taking the bait on Kaman, the Cavs have a decent shot at a 1st if they take Emeka, despite the Hornets posturing. However, if Kaman is moved, there is absolutely 0% chance of the Cavs getting the Minnesota pick.
We the People...
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#1479 » by TheOUTLAW » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:18 pm

I see absolutely not reason for the Cavs to give up a pick to move Sessions (even if they are getting one back). Fact is no matter how much you want the Cavs to get Marvin Williams he is not a positive.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 540

Post#1480 » by B Mac » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:33 pm

Sessions has played his last game as a Cavalier. I am making a Heath-like guarentee on that one (except my guarentee will actually come true).

Just kidding Heath. I know you've got the humor to absorb those hits.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers