ImageImageImage

Leafs Regular Season Discussion

Moderator: Crowned

whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Re: Leafs Regular Season Discussion 

Post#561 » by whysoserious » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:49 pm

_venom_ wrote:If swapping Kessel for Nash was a possibility then I would be all over it. Despite Kessel having the better season, he is nowhere near as complete of a player. Nash kills penalties (probably the best forward PK in the NHL), can hit, can score, and he's a leader. Kessel is one dimensional and he'll never become an all around player. I would only do that deal in a straight swap though because of the salary difference and the age difference.

Burke's offseason goal should be:

1) Get a goalie, a legitimate goalie. Try to pry Corey Schneider away from the Canucks. I would give up our pick this year unless it's 1st overall to get Schneider.

2) Try to shed the deadweight on this team. There's a lot of it so it will be hard. Connolly, Komisarek, Lombardi, Armstrong, Steckel should all be shipped out. Komisarek would be the toughest to move but I hope an amnesty clause in the new CBA takes care of him. The others will all be going into the final years of their contract so some teams may be willing to take them.

3) Try to get tougher up front. By this I don't mean going out and getting 3rd/4th line grinders. We need legit top 6 talent that can play in the corners and not getting moved off the puck easily. Guys like Nash, Brown, or Malone. Carlysle promotes cycling in the offensive zone and maintaining possession deep. We barely have anyone on the roster capable of that right now.

4) Do not sign mediocre players in free agency. This has been Burke's biggest problem as Leafs GM. Signing mediocre players like Komisarek, Connolly, and Armstrong to big contracts. If you can't get legitimate top tier players don't settle. Bring up a couple of kids for next season. Ashton can easily play on our 3rd line next season. Same with Frattin. Colborne and Kadri deserve to be up too. Don't waster roster spots on overpaid scrubs when you have cheaper, younger options at your disposal.

I would do everything possible to do Kessel for Nash, if you have to sweeten it slightly I would. I'd then flip the first if it's not the top pick to get Schneider.

I would try to move the guys you mentioned except for Steckel. I like him and think he'll do well in Carlyle's system.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#562 » by whysoserious » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:44 pm

So Cox writes a story that Kessel should be dealt in the off-season, not a premise I disagree with it. It's simply an opinion piece at this point with no facts behind it. But Sportsnet leads off with "Big news in Leaf land" and then talks about this story, is this really what sports journalism has come down to?
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#563 » by sanity » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:36 pm

Trading Kessel is worthwhile if his goalscoring can be replaced (Nash). Other than that I really don't see the point

Yeah, journalism as a whole today is pretty awful. Its basically the realgm forums via video on tv without any credible sources or anything. Its just opinions being thrown about everywhere
Deron05
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#564 » by Deron05 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:01 pm

Lol, this was a awful deal for the leafs. BB comes here and says he wants size and toughness, then he goes out and gets kessel. And if they do trade kessel, they wont even get close to the value they gave to boston.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#565 » by Crowned » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:14 am

Trade Kessel for what reason? He's the 5th leading scorer in the NHL, making a shade over 5 million a year. He'll be 25 when the season starts up again next year, and put up outstanding stats with Bozak and Connolly as his center.

Here's an idea, instead of trading a 25 year old top 5 scorer, let's build around him. These trade ideas are just silly, and completely pointless.
Deron05
Banned User

Post#566 » by Deron05 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:45 pm

Crowned wrote:Trade Kessel for what reason? He's the 5th leading scorer in the NHL, making a shade over 5 million a year. He'll be 25 when the season starts up again next year, and put up outstanding stats with Bozak and Connolly as his center.

Here's an idea, instead of trading a 25 year old top 5 scorer, let's build around him. These trade ideas are just silly, and completely pointless.

Your joking about building around kessel, right? Kessel isnt a leader, he doesnt play defense, and he doesnt play physical. Kessel is a piece that puts you over the top. Kessel is a piece Nashville would add. But I wouldnt trade kessel, yet. I would get a big center. Imagine what he could do with some more open ice. And this is just a question, With the hiring of Carlyle, do you think he (carlyle) would want getzlaf here? Or do the guys in Anaheim want to come here?
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#567 » by whysoserious » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:38 pm

Crowned wrote:Trade Kessel for what reason? He's the 5th leading scorer in the NHL, making a shade over 5 million a year. He'll be 25 when the season starts up again next year, and put up outstanding stats with Bozak and Connolly as his center.

My problem with Kessel is not so much that he's a bad player. He's a great sniper in this league and could put up 40-50 goals with a true number 1 centre. But that doesn't seem to be in the cards and he's forever gonna be questioned about that trade for the pick that landed Seguin. I just don't think he'll ever get a fair shake in this city and he'll be scrutinized to death.

If you can get some players up front, especially a centre, then I'd say go for it. But if you can't, and you could somehow swap him for a Rick Nash, I'd take Nash over him even with his salary because the production is similar and he's more of a leader and he's bigger.

Would I love to have both? Sure, but I can't see tying up 13 million on two RW'ers when you still haven't addressed a front line centre.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#568 » by whysoserious » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:40 pm

Secondary to that, since SJ has slowly fallen from the top, could you see them possibly considering moving Thornton this off-season. If he somehow became available, he's still good enough and would be the perfect player to play with Kessel other than Getzlaf in Anaheim.
Deron05
Banned User

Post#569 » by Deron05 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:32 am

whysoserious wrote:Secondary to that, since SJ has slowly fallen from the top, could you see them possibly considering moving Thornton this off-season. If he somehow became available, he's still good enough and would be the perfect player to play with Kessel other than Getzlaf in Anaheim.

Yeah, but SJ will be asking a lot. I would only go after Thornton If we can't get Getzlaf.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#570 » by Crowned » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:14 am

Deron05 wrote:

Your joking about building around kessel, right? Kessel isnt a leader, he doesnt play defense, and he doesnt play physical. Kessel is a piece that puts you over the top. Kessel is a piece Nashville would add. But I wouldnt trade kessel, yet. I would get a big center. Imagine what he could do with some more open ice. And this is just a question, With the hiring of Carlyle, do you think he (carlyle) would want getzlaf here? Or do the guys in Anaheim want to come here?

Why do you need Kessel to play physical or be a leader? He's 24 years old. It's not his job to be 'captain' like material. He's the 5th overall scorer (actually, tied with Spezza for 4th), 3rd in goals scored. Sorry, but that's not a piece Nashville adds to help them in the playoffs.

Why not build around him on the top line? He's not a cornerstone, but he's certainly someone you can build your offense around.
Deron05
Banned User

Post#571 » by Deron05 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:48 pm

Crowned wrote:
Deron05 wrote:

Your joking about building around kessel, right? Kessel isnt a leader, he doesnt play defense, and he doesnt play physical. Kessel is a piece that puts you over the top. Kessel is a piece Nashville would add. But I wouldnt trade kessel, yet. I would get a big center. Imagine what he could do with some more open ice. And this is just a question, With the hiring of Carlyle, do you think he (carlyle) would want getzlaf here? Or do the guys in AnRaheim want to come here?

Why do you need Kessel to play physical or be a leader? He's 24 years old. It's not his job to be 'captain' like material. He's the 5th overall scorer (actually, tied with Spezza for 4th), 3rd in goals scored. Sorry, but that's not a piece Nashville adds to help them in the playoffs.

Why not build around him on the top line? He's not a cornerstone, but he's certainly someone you can build your offense around.

Well it's completely different when you build a line after him, not a team. I got the impression that you wanted the leafs to build around him. He has 2 years after this one, and I would expect him to walk. He never really looked like He liked it here.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#572 » by whysoserious » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:50 pm

It was nice to see the way this team played the last few games but unless they're going to pull off the comeback and get in the playoffs, I don't want to see them winning games. I'd rather they play the right way like they have recently and continue to lose games.

If they do finish with a pick in the 7-10 range, I'm hopeful they move that pick and another prospect or something for a frontline center.
Deron05
Banned User

Post#573 » by Deron05 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:40 pm

whysoserious wrote:It was nice to see the way this team played the last few games but unless they're going to pull off the comeback and get in the playoffs, I don't want to see them winning games. I'd rather they play the right way like they have recently and continue to lose games.

If they do finish with a pick in the 7-10 range, I'm hopeful they move that pick and another prospect or something for a frontline center.

I want them to lose too. Were just 3 points back of a top 3 pick. Hopefully we will get in the top 3 and draft Grigerenko!
Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,476

Post#574 » by Bankai » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:38 pm

I just checked in... and apparently the Leafs are down 4-0 to the Bruins and theirs 6 mins left to go in the 1st Period... fantastic.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#575 » by whysoserious » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:09 am

Good news if they are losing. Those two wins over the last couple of games were disappointing. Don't get me wrong, if they had a legit shot at the playoffs I'd love them to win out but with all the teams they have to jump to get there, it's pretty much impossible.

I'd rather they lose out at this point. But knowing the Leafs luck, they'd lose out and someone in the draft would jump ahead in the lottery, just seems to be our luck.
Bankai
RealGM

Post#576 » by Bankai » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:31 am

Got to hand it to the Leafs though, when they lose to Boston... they lose BAD!! :lol:
Deron05
Banned User

Post#577 » by Deron05 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:32 am

Thats my boys! Lose so we can get a top 3 pick! :D
Bankai
RealGM

Post#578 » by Bankai » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:47 am

Is their a point where mercy has to kick in? :lol:
Deron05
Banned User

Post#579 » by Deron05 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:48 am

Bankai wrote:Is their a point where mercy has to kick in? :lol:

LOL, it should be now for the leafs. :lol:
Death Knight
RealGM
And1: 3,129

Post#580 » by Death Knight » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:41 am

My condolences to the Leafs and may God have mercy on every single Leafs players' soul.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs