Convince me Sullinger is a top 5 pick

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Convince me Sullinger is a top 5 pick 

Post#1 » by Eoghan » Wed Apr 4, 2012 7:55 pm

I think he's wildly overrated, personally. The Kevin Love comparison makes me want to hurl. Love is easily more athletic than Sullinger. He seems pudgy, cemented to the floor, and his post moves are not that good and only effective b/c he's a big fish in a small pond at the college level. What happens when he can't throw his weight around the block in the NBA? Step out to three and clank that ugly set shot of his?

Cure me of my hateritis.
mavs7777
Junior
And1: 0

Re: Convince me Sullinger is a top 5 pick 

Post#2 » by mavs7777 » Wed Apr 4, 2012 8:13 pm

If anything he is widly underrated, Love is in no shape or form a better athlete or at least wasnt when he left to the NBA the same things said against sullinger are the exact same things that were said against Love, he isn't athletic, he can't handle the ball, he will always be a defensive liability. Sullinger can play in the post he constantly gets double team, he has great great touch and a nice looking hook, unlike most young post player his post game isn't all going baseline (my 1 real complaint on davis is his post game is extremely predictable and always goes baseline), he finishes very well through contact and has shown the ability to score 1 on 1. He also has a pretty good looking shot that I would guess is well above average in mid range but in OSU's system with Thomas he doesn't get oppurtunity to show it. I'd take AD/Beal/Robinson 1-3 but he along with MKG/Barnes/Drummond id consider in the 4-7 area. I think he will be worse than Love but a well above average NBA starter, they are very comparable however.
crazybranman360
Starter
And1: 37

Post#3 » by crazybranman360 » Wed Apr 4, 2012 8:16 pm

Could easily be the next Zach Randolph, think of the similarities

and Sullinger is only going to get better remember that
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,831

Post#4 » by mcfly1204 » Wed Apr 4, 2012 8:39 pm

I am very interested to see how he measures in at the combine. If he is above 6'9" in shoes with at least a 7' wingspan, than I see no reason why he could not be an effective center in the league. I expect him to fall a bit in the draft, and someone will get a steal similar to Detroit selecting Monroe at #7.
Well at least we're not Detroit!
Eoghan
RealGM

Post#5 » by Eoghan » Wed Apr 4, 2012 8:41 pm

mavs7777 wrote:If anything he is widly underrated, Love is in no shape or form a better athlete or at least wasnt when he left to the NBA the same things said against sullinger are the exact same things that were said against Love, he isn't athletic, he can't handle the ball, he will always be a defensive liability. Sullinger can play in the post he constantly gets double team, he has great great touch and a nice looking hook, unlike most young post player his post game isn't all going baseline (my 1 real complaint on davis is his post game is extremely predictable and always goes baseline), he finishes very well through contact and has shown the ability to score 1 on 1. He also has a pretty good looking shot that I would guess is well above average in mid range but in OSU's system with Thomas he doesn't get oppurtunity to show it. I'd take AD/Beal/Robinson 1-3 but he along with MKG/Barnes/Drummond id consider in the 4-7 area. I think he will be worse than Love but a well above average NBA starter, they are very comparable however.

I hear you on his midrange shot, his turnaround is silky smooth. I don't think anyone considered Love a defensive liability coming out b/c he has size for his position, I'm not sure Sullinger does. Davis has a nice hook shot too.
crazybranman360 wrote:Could easily be the next Zach Randolph, think of the similarities

Sullinger has none of the quickness that Z-bo has, nor the repertoire though that can come later. Why is he only going to get better? Sean May didn't.
mavs7777
Junior

Post#6 » by mavs7777 » Wed Apr 4, 2012 8:50 pm

Love was thought of as a defensive liability cause of his size (a bit overweight) and lack of athletisism/length... Love's not a great defender but he is passible (id say slightly below average).
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,484

Post#7 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Apr 4, 2012 8:51 pm

He has an incredible feel for the basketball and sense of timing, and while his post moves may not look advanced in moves they are very fluid and natural. He may not be tall but his thickness likely matters more. I think he's an underrated athlete, his can move his feet pretty quick and get from 10 feet to the rim when a lane opens. Good shooter, could be a great one. He's like a shorter but bulkier Greg Monroe IMO

The comparison I like is Luis Scola
mattg
General Manager
And1: 2,985

Post#8 » by mattg » Wed Apr 4, 2012 9:15 pm

I think losing weight hurt Sullinger. Less girth and weight to toss around down low, and e had more difficulty sealing guys off inside. He also didn't see the gains in foot quickness and vertical that you'd like to see when a guy drops a lot of weight.
LionOfLannister
Junior
And1: 7

Post#9 » by LionOfLannister » Wed Apr 4, 2012 9:23 pm

Love is an incredible athlete. People just weren't looking past his skin color. Look up his combine numbers and compare them to Beasleys, who was considered a far superior prospect and athlete. They are almost identical, despite Love being fat as **** at the time. He's a tremendous athlete and much better than Sullinger. When I saw Love's combine performance I was absolutely blown away because I expected him to do terrible. Most people in sports media tried to brush it under the rug it seemed at the time, and apparently they still do.
crazybranman360
Starter
And1: 37

Post#10 » by crazybranman360 » Wed Apr 4, 2012 9:35 pm

crazybranman360 wrote:Could easily be the next Zach Randolph, think of the similarities

Sullinger has none of the quickness that Z-bo has, nor the repertoire though that can come later. Why is he only going to get better? Sean May didn't.[/quote]

I'll give you the quickness but all young players, especially bigs, have the potential to get better and develop there game. My point is that he isn't a finished product yet and has many skills already put in place
LionOfLannister
Junior
And1: 7

Post#11 » by LionOfLannister » Wed Apr 4, 2012 10:05 pm

BrotherDave wrote:Sullinger has none of the quickness that Z-bo has, nor the repertoire though that can come later. Why is he only going to get better? Sean May didn't.

May broke down with injuries, he was a pretty good and showed a lot of improvement during his brief career. I think he's a poor example to use- he would have been a fine NBA player had he been healthy.
boogie-reke
Head Coach
And1: 244

Post#12 » by boogie-reke » Wed Apr 4, 2012 10:11 pm

He's not.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#13 » by Ruzious » Wed Apr 4, 2012 10:38 pm

Sullinger isn't Love, but he's going to be good. The problem he had at Ohio State was - he didn't have a Withey. He was it as far as legit college bigs on his team. When he was going against teams with a 7 foot center and a bruising PF, he was often going 1 against 2 - and it showed. He's going to be going against PF's in the NBA - not centers - and he won't be constantly doubled. He won't be Love, but he'll be fine in the NBA and he'll put up very good numbers - likely in the 16-18 and 9 range as a starter.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#14 » by No-Man » Wed Apr 4, 2012 11:46 pm

Like Randolph had the quickness that he's got now at State :lol:

Sullinger is the 2nd better interior prospect of the Draft.
Eoghan
RealGM

Post#15 » by Eoghan » Wed Apr 4, 2012 11:56 pm

Fischella wrote:Like Randolph had the quickness that he's got now at State :lol:

Sullinger is the 2nd better interior prospect of the Draft.

He did actually.
Eoghan
RealGM

Post#16 » by Eoghan » Thu Apr 5, 2012 12:09 am

Dr Mufasa wrote:
The comparison I like is Luis Scola

Would you draft a Luis Scola in the top 5? I'm not sure I would unless my team needs just screamed for it.

Ruzious wrote:Sullinger isn't Love, but he's going to be good. The problem he had at Ohio State was - he didn't have a Withey. He was it as far as legit college bigs on his team. When he was going against teams with a 7 foot center and a bruising PF, he was often going 1 against 2 - and it showed. He's going to be going against PF's in the NBA - not centers - and he won't be constantly doubled. He won't be Love, but he'll be fine in the NBA and he'll put up very good numbers - likely in the 16-18 and 9 range as a starter.

That's food for thought. +1 to you.

Another thing that concerns me is that his numbers are practically identical from his freshman year except for 3pt %. They're actually slightly down in some categories, despite Sully being lighter and healthier this year. People rip on Barnes all the time for not showing any improvement but I don't hear a peep on the same with Sullinger.
UnderdogKnicks
Starter
And1: 40

Post#17 » by UnderdogKnicks » Thu Apr 5, 2012 2:20 am

He shouldn't be top 5 no way he ain't that good not all star level hes gonna be just a solid player.
Classics :

Knicks, Giants, Yankees, Rangers
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM
And1: 4,316

Post#18 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Thu Apr 5, 2012 3:02 am

The thing about guys like Sullinger is that wherever his ceiling lies - he will reach it.

Kid works his ass-off.
Has gotten better and will continue to get better.
Seems to be a good teamate.
Is a coach's son.
Isn't all about money cuz he probably could have come out last year and been picked higher.
He plays a Man's game down in the paint.
Isn't overly reliant on athletic prowess.

Being a Bulls fan he's the Anti-Tyrus Thomas.

He probably won't get picked in the top 5, but I wouldn't be surprised if in 5 years from now he's one of the top 5 players out of this draft.
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#19 » by Johnlac1 » Thu Apr 5, 2012 3:25 am

What people should realize about Sullinger is that he's a very smart player and knows what he can do and what he can't do. He'll look best in an established system. On a bad ball club, he won't look so good. Exceptionally strong player who can probably produce for the right team as a rookie.
BoscoGardener
Banned User

Post#20 » by BoscoGardener » Thu Apr 5, 2012 3:45 am

How about the pistons picking Sullinger at 8th??

Sullinger-Monroe look decent offensively, but a rather poor defensive frontcourt imo.

I see Sullinger a late lotto pick, too many red flags, u needa get over all these weight, height, athleticism n poor defense issue and hope he'll be another Z-Bo/K.Love??

come on, lets be realistic. If u have a top 10 pick, if u go for a safe bet, u may take Tyler Zeller; a high risk/high return pick u may choose PJIII or Cody Zeller if both are available.

Dont see Sullinger being taken in top 10 unless the pistons (the only team may take him) reach big time for the player with many red flags. I am sure teams know what he can do , but some of his problems (short, unatheltic) are something coach cant change

Return to NBA Draft