ImageImageImage

Leafs Regular Season Discussion

Moderator: Crowned

Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,487

Re: Leafs Regular Season Discussion 

Post#601 » by Bankai » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:37 pm

Sadly Derozan is at best the 2nd option on a good team, and Kessel has been mentioned that he is probably a 2nd line type of talent. I think they are similar in retrospect. They are only rated higher currently because they are what we only have. The issue I have is that at least Derozan is a young guy we drafted, while Kessel was a young guy we traded the farm for. One hasent really harmed his teams future outlook one bit, while the other could have set his team back a couple of years. The thing is like to give any young player a window of 5 years. So Derozan can still change in 2 more years. I also have faith in J.Johnson, Ed Davis, James Reimer and Nazem Kadri to continue to grow, its to early to give up on any 5 of these guys because of age.

Its already been 5 years for Kessel, and I think Grabovski is the better hockey player because he is more versatile. Just like how people say that J.Johnson is perhaps the better basketball player than Derozan because he is more versatile. One thing I look at is 1v1 situations, if you are a great goal scorer, you shouldnt have much of a problem beating the goalie most of the time. And the games that I have watched this season and last season, I really find it hard to think of the times where Kessel actually didnt get denied on a breakaway or SO, but I remember plenty of times where Kadri, Frattin, and Grabovski scored. Basically when the game is on the line in any crunch time, I dont expect Kessel to come through with much at all. He might get 1 or 2 early on in the game, but then his night is done and he fades. One thing I liked about Matt Sundin was that he brought it from start to finish and the ways he scored was much more dynamic and different than 1-trick Phil.
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#602 » by sanity » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:02 am

I was at the last game vs. the Rangers where it went to a SO. I think Kadri definitely has some skills... he's just so small and playing with Grabovski is nicer than being on the 4th line (Ron Wilson is an idiot), but we still are in dire need of some size up front. Ashton isn't ready for this level.

Our team for the life of them can't cycle the puck or establish puck possession after a dump in. Other than Kessel, I couldn't even pick out another player with any playmaking ability. We have no grit along the boards aside from our crap 3rd/4th line wingers, which suck in just about every aspect other than toughness and skating in a straight line

Defensively... I will say we're pretty good for the time being. Sure Komie is a healthy scratch (lol), but all 3 pairings are at least decent. Franson, Gunnerson and Gardiner are key for us
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,214

Post#603 » by LLJ » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:19 am

This is how you tank folks. I wish they did this sooner and spared us the tease.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#604 » by YogiStewart » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:04 am

so guys realize how tantalizingly close the Leafs are to a top pick?

3 pts ahead of Mtl for last in the East.
4 points ahead of the Oilers, who have a game in hand and are on a 2 game winning streak.

if the Leafs tank properly - which history shows that they can never, ever do - they can finish 29th overall!!!

Fans should be praying that they start a Marlies' goalie and a rookie line-up for the next 2 weeks. If things go right, you're looking at a 2nd overall pick*

*for Burke to trade away
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#605 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:14 pm

The thing is that it's one thing to catch 1 team (EDM), with the possibility that they just keep winning, but it's hard to catch MIN, MTL and EDM all at once with this little left in the season. Chances are even if one of MIN, MTL or EDM plays well enough for us to have a chance to pass them, the other 2 keep up the tank. I'm ok with 5th and being in the lotto.
Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,487

Post#606 » by Bankai » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:52 pm

LLJ wrote:This is how you tank folks. I wish they did this sooner and spared us the tease.

It really is sad how one team went from First in the Conference to potentially Worst in the Conference in the span of one season. It truly is an 18 wheeler simply falling off a cliff, their was no recovery. :(

YogiStewart wrote:Fans should be praying that they start a Marlies' goalie and a rookie line-up for the next 2 weeks. If things go right, you're looking at a 2nd overall pick*

*for Burke to trade away

Sucks that alot of Hockey Insiders/Experts in this city do believe that Burke is going to trade away the pick regardless of what # it is outside of #1. :(
Relentless88
RealGM
And1: 101

Post#607 » by Relentless88 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:32 pm

whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#608 » by whysoserious » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:27 pm

Bankai wrote:Sucks that alot of Hockey Insiders/Experts in this city do believe that Burke is going to trade away the pick regardless of what # it is outside of #1. :(

I don't see it. I see a lot people saying he'll explore it and I've seen it mentioned as trade bait for the right deal. I certainly hope he doesn't move it for Nash. But if he moved it for someone like Schneider I might be okay with that. Cox also mentioned Bernier, but he hasn't proven himself to the level of Schneider yet so I'd say giving up a top 5 pick for him might be too much.

With Komi and Armstrong on short deals, Burke should look at teams that need to get to the cap floor and throw in some late round pick to see if someone will add them. I know Komi has a no movement clause of some sort but still. People are ragging on Phaneuf big time, and rightfully so since he's the captain but I don't think they gave him a fighting chance in handing him the 'C'. I think they need a vet or two, someone like a Gary Roberts to help him out.

As much as I like Kulemin, I think you seriously have to look at letting some of those spare parts go even though they are young and give your Colbornes and Kadri's a fair shot at the NHL level. I hope Burke is not hasty in moving either of those guys unless he's getting a true Center like Staal/Thornton.
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#609 » by J Dilla » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:12 am

Lets go blue jays!!!
Waylon Mercy
Banned User
And1: 6,644

Post#610 » by Waylon Mercy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:23 am

Die Maple Leafs Die!!!!!! *Evil French Canadian Voice*
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#611 » by whysoserious » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:29 pm

That was the most pathetic performance I've seen from any team in this market in forever. No communication from players, all of them going backwards instead of forward and moving out. The entire game looked like Philly was playing with an extra player on the ice. Rynnas deserved better!!!!!!

Oh, and don't get me started on a powerplay that was given 6 minutes and could never set up and barely even got any shots on net.

Also, I know some guys are frustrated, but Mike Brown running around in the third period down 5 goals was getting ridiculous.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#612 » by Crowned » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:40 pm

I've been thinking about it for a few weeks now. I previously posted that I think the Canucks are going to keep Schneider, and may trade Luongo. If I'm Burke, I'd be all over that if he wants to contend anytime soon. He's an elite goaltender, putting up some of the best numbers in the league this year. He's got a cap friendly contract (a shade over 5 million) and shouldn't be too unattainable. It's an option Burke should certainly pursue this summer, because I think the Canucks may be forced to trade one or the other.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#613 » by whysoserious » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:48 am

Crowned wrote:I've been thinking about it for a few weeks now. I previously posted that I think the Canucks are going to keep Schneider, and may trade Luongo. If I'm Burke, I'd be all over that if he wants to contend anytime soon. He's an elite goaltender, putting up some of the best numbers in the league this year. He's got a cap friendly contract (a shade over 5 million) and shouldn't be too unattainable. It's an option Burke should certainly pursue this summer, because I think the Canucks may be forced to trade one or the other.

They're gonna have to make a decision soon between the two of them. I think the smarter move for Vancouver would be to give up Luongo and not Schneider. It's a risky one, but a very cap friendly move that's the kind you have to do in the new NHL. Especially when you do have a rookie as good as Schneider.

I agree that Burke should look at both goalies. If it is Luongo though, maybe you can get them to bite on some of you're shorter deals as part of package like Lombardi, Armstrong or Komi with some prospect to supplement the deal.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,214

Post#614 » by LLJ » Sun Apr 1, 2012 2:21 pm

Well Toronto and Winnipeg both missed the playoffs. So neither Yogi or Leafs posters here get bragging rights. :lol:

Winnipeg did get an exciting final game though. On the other hand, Toronto has done a fine job tanking after the playoffs were out of reach.
Deron2
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#615 » by Deron2 » Sat Apr 7, 2012 7:47 pm

Since the leafs and ducks have the same amount of points, who gets the 5th overall pick?
bananaman
Starter
And1: 627

Post#616 » by bananaman » Sun Apr 8, 2012 1:23 am

The thought of Luongo in Toronto is hilarious. If you thought he had it bad in Vancouver, he'll be berated to no end by Leafs fans and media.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#617 » by Crowned » Sun Apr 8, 2012 2:59 am

bananaman wrote:The thought of Luongo in Toronto is hilarious. If you thought he had it bad in Vancouver, he'll be berated to no end by Leafs fans and media.

He gets berated in Vancouver, and has put up some of the best stats in the league this year. That makes sense.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#618 » by Crowned » Sun Apr 8, 2012 3:00 am

...and the Leafs have secured the 5th overall pick, and get the tiebreaker over the Ducks.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#619 » by whysoserious » Sun Apr 8, 2012 6:34 pm

i was scared they'd blow it last night as has been the luck of this franchise.

Hopefully we can catch a bit of luck Tuesday. EIther way we're looking at a top 5 pick which is pretty solid. Hopefully they can get a good player up front that can possibly step right in. One of the points Cherry made last night regarding Stamkos' success is they just let him play early on and this is sometimes lacking in Toronto. Nobody provides the insulation young players need when they get their chances, and then are criticized and sent down.

They let Schenn play through his first few seasons, almost out of necessity but couldn't do the same for Kadri.
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#620 » by sanity » Sun Apr 8, 2012 8:43 pm

Wilson was detrimental for Kadri, the only times he ever saw the ice was on the 4th line with skill-less tits like Orr

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs