Doron Lamb

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

King d
Banned User
And1: 40

Re: Doron Lamb 

Post#21 » by King d » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:57 am

Well that's what I was thinking. But that alone imo doesn't make him look a ton better than Wayne.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,366

Post#22 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:27 am

I thought Wayne Ellington was straight junk coming out of UNC and was baffled by the first round love he was getting.

He wasn't athletic at all and was half soft.

Couldn't do anything outside hit jumpers.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
King d
Banned User

Post#23 » by King d » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:52 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:I thought Wayne Ellington was straight junk coming out of UNC and was baffled by the first round love he was getting.

Well I wouldn't say that a guy with a 38 inch vertical is not athletic, he also had 13 repetitions in bench press and a decent sprint. He may not apparent it by the way he plays but he is an athletic freak

He also averaged more rebounds, assists, steals and blocks than Lamb , so if Wayne couldn't do anything outside hit jumpers what's the deal with Lamb?

I still think Lamb has a little more upside due his better ball handling, but besides wayne's athleticism and lamb's ball handling they are basically clones. Role players at best.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#24 » by ManualRam » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:04 am

King d wrote:Well that's what I was thinking. But that alone imo doesn't make him look a ton better than Wayne.

a ton? no, but better by a good margin. shooters can survive in the league being one dimensional, but having a slow release (and little elevation to shoot over shot contests) limits the effectiveness of that one dimension.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#25 » by ManualRam » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:11 am

King d wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:I thought Wayne Ellington was straight junk coming out of UNC and was baffled by the first round love he was getting.

I still think Lamb has a little more upside due his better ball handling, but besides wayne's athleticism and lamb's ball handling they are basically clones. Role players at best.

why do people keep saying stuff like this? the overwhelming majority of draft picks, and basketball players in general, are role players.

and no, if a player is a better ball-handler, better defender and has a quicker/better release on his jumper then he is not "basically an ellington clone."
on paper they might seem like minute differences, but in reality they're not.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
King d
Banned User

Post#26 » by King d » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:18 am

ManualRam wrote:
King d wrote:

why do people keep saying stuff like this? the overwhelming majority of draft picks, and basketball players in general, are role players.

and no, if a player is a better ball-handler, better defender and has a quicker/better release on his jumper then he is not "basically an ellington clone."

There isn't much of a difference between Ellington and Lamb D and Ball handling. Yes Lamb is slightly better in those things (would like to see his defense in the nba against quicker and more athletic guys anyway), but as I said outside that they are clones.

By the way by role player I meant basically a one dimensional player

And about the shot release? Lamb isn't John Jenkins, his realease is a little bit quicker than wayne's but nothing special , Wayne has a textbook release as well with great elevation, so I don't see the big deal here.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#27 » by ManualRam » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:37 am

King d wrote:
ManualRam wrote:
King d wrote:

There isn't much of a difference between Ellington and Lamb D and Ball handling. Yes Lamb is slightly better in those things (would like to see his defense in the nba against quicker and more athletic guys anyway), but as I said outside that they are clones.

By the way by role player I meant basically a one dimensional player

lamb's a good enough ball-handler to be a 2ndary ball-handler and run PnR.
the difference b/t a starter and a 9th-10th man on the roster are slight differences on paper, but those slight differences make one player noticeably better than the other.

ball-handling aside, even if lamb becomes a one-dimensional player, his one dimension (shooting) is more valuable to a team than ellington's one dimension, since ellington is limited to only taking spot up jumpers because of his slow release (and inability to shoot over shot contests). ellington is closer to matt carroll than he is to lamb because of his release.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#28 » by ManualRam » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:38 am

King d wrote:And about the shot release? Lamb isn't John Jenkins, his realease is a little bit quicker than wayne's but nothing special , Wayne has a textbook release as well with great elevation, so I don't see the big deal here.

lamb's release is much better than ellington's. wayne's is slow, and no, he DOESNT get great elevation. ellington shoots more of a set shot than a jumpshot which limits him to being a spot up shooter, who can easily be recovered on.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
King d
Banned User

Post#29 » by King d » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:49 am

ManualRam wrote:
King d wrote:And about the shot release? Lamb isn't John Jenkins, his realease is a little bit quicker than wayne's but nothing special , Wayne has a textbook release as well with great elevation, so I don't see the big deal here.

lamb's release is much better than ellington's. wayne's is slow, and no, he DOESNT get great elevation. ellington shoots more of a set shot than a jumpshot which limits him to being a spot up shooter, who can easily be recovered on.

I disagree, his release isn't slow and he definitely GETS good elevation on his jumper.

Anyways you missed the point, you talk about a shot release like if it was a huge plus, it may be a plus if you have a Ray Allen or a John Jenkins release vs a Marcus Camby release , but between Lamb and Wayne THERE ISN'T too much of a difference.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#30 » by ManualRam » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:02 am

King d wrote:
ManualRam wrote:

I disagree, his release isn't slow and he definitely GETS good elevation on his jumper.

Anyways you missed the point, you talk about a shot release like if it was a huge plus, it may be a plus if you have a Ray Allen or a John Jenkins release vs a Marcus Camby release , but between Lamb and Wayne THERE ISN'T too much of a difference.

ellington has a slow release and it's been a problem since college where athletic players could recover on his shot. when he was matched up with nba-caliber athletes in college, ellington was shut down.
shot release matters a hell of a lot since getting shots off on the perimeter in a different situations (off screens, off the bounce, etc) is a matter of inches. guys like ray allen, dell curry, reddick, kyle korver, etc arent just effective as shooters because of their accuracy, it's because of their QUICK, accurate release.
a slow release is a major negative especially if you're a one dimensional shooter. if you have a slow release, you better have good elevation to be able to get the release OVER shot contests. ellington does not get good elevation and he has a slow release.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,366

Post#31 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:17 am

LOL @ Wayne Ellington being an athletic freak. :rofl:
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
King d
Banned User

Post#32 » by King d » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:19 am

AS I said Wayne release isn't slow and gets good elevation, and I'm watching videos right now to make sure and there isn't too much difference between Lamb and Wayne. I would even say Wayne gets more elevation while Lamb's release is a little bit quicker. So in this particular case the difference isn't big enough to give Lamb an extra point, he is not Ray Allen or Kyle Korver.

Anyway this discussion isn't worth, you are not going to convince me of something I've seen (and I'm seeing right now) with my own eyes and I'm not going to convince you. So good night 8-)
King d
Banned User

Post#33 » by King d » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:20 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:LOL @ Wayne Ellington being an athletic freak. :rofl:

Lol @ you saying he isn't athletic. Owned for you after watching his combine numbers.

That's what you get for being a casual nba fan :lol:
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#34 » by ManualRam » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:36 am

King d wrote:AS I said Wayne release isn't slow and gets good elevation, and I'm watching videos right now to make sure and there isn't too much difference between Lamb and Wayne. I would even say Wayne gets more elevation while Lamb's release is a little bit quicker. So in this particular case the difference isn't big enough to give Lamb an extra point, he is not Ray Allen or Kyle Korver.

Anyway this discussion isn't worth, you are not going to convince me of something I've seen (and I'm seeing right now) with my own eyes and I'm not going to convince you. So good night 8-)

and you would be wrong. the reason why ellington is relegated to only being primarily a spot up shooter and not being able to come off screens and shoot or shooting on the move is because of his release.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#35 » by Grits n Gravy » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:45 am

ManualRam wrote:
King d wrote:AS I said Wayne release isn't slow and gets good elevation, and I'm watching videos right now to make sure and there isn't too much difference between Lamb and Wayne. I would even say Wayne gets more elevation while Lamb's release is a little bit quicker. So in this particular case the difference isn't big enough to give Lamb an extra point, he is not Ray Allen or Kyle Korver.

and you would be wrong. the reason why ellington is relegated to only being primarily a spot up shooter and not being able to come off screens and shoot or shooting on the move is because of his release.

dude wayne ellington is not a spot up shooter, he primarily gets his shots off screens or cuts and he is pretty good shooting off pump fakes into 1 or 2 dribble pull ups...he actually seldom gets shot off spot ups, i've seen 90% of minny games the last 3 years.
Grits n Gravy
General Manager

Post#36 » by Grits n Gravy » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:46 am

oh and ram, i seriously think we should name the nba draft section after you.
King d
Banned User

Post#37 » by King d » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:12 pm

Grits n Gravy wrote:
ManualRam wrote:

dude wayne ellington is not a spot up shooter, he primarily gets his shots off screens or cuts and he is pretty good shooting off pump fakes into 1 or 2 dribble pull ups...he actually seldom gets shot off spot ups, i've seen 90% of minny games the last 3 years.

Don't even try it, for what I've seen this guy thinks he is in possession of the truth all the time and everybody else is wrong, don't lose your time replying to him.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#38 » by ManualRam » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:12 pm

Grits n Gravy wrote:
ManualRam wrote:

this yr alone.

31% of his shots are of the spot up variety
points per possession on spot ups = 1.05
39.4 fg%, 39.7% from 3

14.5% of his shots are off of screens (ball or off the ball)
ppp off screens = .68
31.8% fg, 25% from 3
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM
And1: 4,316

Post#39 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:32 pm

I'm gonna tell Paxson and Gar to draft him to play next to Rose for the next 5 yrs.
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
Grits n Gravy
General Manager

Post#40 » by Grits n Gravy » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:17 pm

this yr alone.

31% of his shots are of the spot up variety
points per possession on spot ups = 1.05
39.4 fg%, 39.7% from 3

14.5% of his shots are off of screens (ball or off the ball)
ppp off screens = .68
31.8% fg, 25% from 3[/quote]
where do you get these stats out of curiosity

Return to NBA Draft