[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Cousins

Moderator: LyricalRico

Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Re: Cousins 

Post#21 » by Higga » Tue May 1, 2012 3:12 am

I also love how people think Cousins will somehow undermine RG3. Yeah I bet RG3 is really shaking in his boots at the thought of some 4th rounder taking his job. If anything it'll motivate RG3 to work even harder(not that work ethic was ever an issue for him)to shut everyone up.

I get that people think we should have taken a different position, but the fact is chances are anyone we take in the 4th round is a backup anyway. Might as well address backup QB.

One other thing to note: Shanahan himself even told RG3 Saturday morning that there is a pretty good chance we'll draft QB today but that it doesn't have anything to do with RG3. It's simply taking the best value.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#22 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue May 1, 2012 12:38 pm

http://www.freep.com/article/20120501/S ... t%7CSports

Is it the most controversial fourth-round NFL draft pick ever?

That's what many pundits were making Washington's choice of Michigan State's Kirk Cousins sound like, since the Redskins already had used the No. 2 overall pick on Baylor's Robert Griffin III:

Cousins' outlook
Cousins, on Dan Patrick's show Monday morning, said he is ready to make the best of the situation and avoid the dreaded quarterback controversy some are predicting.

"My job is to help the Redskins win football games, so whatever that may be, I'm going to keep an open mind, and I know my opportunity will come sooner or later," he said.

• Peter King, SI.com: "Worst pick, offense: Kirk Cousins, QB, Michigan State."

• Don Banks, SI.com: "I keep trying to discern the master plan, but I just can't see the wisdom of it. It strikes me as the wrong move, at the wrong time, by the wrong team."

• Will Brinson, CBSSports.com: "Unless the NFL is suddenly going to start using the same rules as a two-quarterback fantasy league, the decision to grab Kirk Cousins doesn't make any sense."

• Gregg Rosenthal, NFL.com: "The Redskins believe Cousins can be a good backup. That's not a luxury in today's NFL; it's a requirement."

• Todd McShay, ESPN Radio, thinks Cousins could end up as one of those coveted backup QBs down the road: "This might be the best thing that ever happened to Kirk Cousins' career."

My opinion: I believe in generating as much positive energy as possible. Cousins want an opportunity but he won't get it in Washington. "RG III is the quarterback", said by Shanahan says that because the Redskins evaluated him so, he's going to be handed the starting QB. I think the young man is a rookie who is full of unknowns and he has not proven a thing in the NFL.

Also, "RG III is the quarterback", says to Cousins "You are not." But when is the opportunity going to come? When Griffin gets hurt. The Redskins seem to be implying there is no possibility Griffin struggles at all. Even if he does, the QB that Shanahan said is too good to pass up isn't the man, right?

Besides, Griffin will get the snaps in practice and Cousins won't. Right?

To me it is beyond stupid to draft a young man and extinguish his dreams, or, to make Griffin look over his shoulder at another rookie.
Bye bye Beal.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,865

Post#23 » by Wizardspride » Tue May 1, 2012 2:13 pm

http://www.freep.com/usatoday/article/5 ... y=obinsite

"Robert was in here today and I told him, 'Don't be surprised if we take another quarterback,' " Shanahan said Saturday night on the phone from Redskins Park in Ashburn, Va.

Griffin's response?

"He said, 'Coach, do what you can to put the best team together,' " Shanahan said. "He understands."

There is no quarterback controversy, even for a franchise with a rich history for such drama. Washington will build around RGIII, after trading three first-round picks and a second-round choice to the St. Louis Rams for the chance to take him No. 2 overall when the draft kicked off Thursday.

"Robert Griffin is our future," Shanahan said. "He's got everything that you need to be a success. That's my guy. In the back of my mind, I know that if things happen, I've got to be as prepared as possible and build the best team that I can."

The injuries that derailed Shanahan's offense last season are still fresh in his mind. He lost seven starters. He went through four running backs, lost two tight ends and constantly mixed and matched on the offensive line, which lost three starters.

Cousins is like a new insurance policy.

President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#24 » by Ruzious » Tue May 1, 2012 2:40 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:http://www.freep.com/article/20120501/SPORTS18/205010424/michigan-state-kirk-cousins-nfl-draft?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CSports

Is it the most controversial fourth-round NFL draft pick ever?

That's what many pundits were making Washington's choice of Michigan State's Kirk Cousins sound like, since the Redskins already had used the No. 2 overall pick on Baylor's Robert Griffin III:

Cousins' outlook
Cousins, on Dan Patrick's show Monday morning, said he is ready to make the best of the situation and avoid the dreaded quarterback controversy some are predicting.

"My job is to help the Redskins win football games, so whatever that may be, I'm going to keep an open mind, and I know my opportunity will come sooner or later," he said.

• Peter King, SI.com: "Worst pick, offense: Kirk Cousins, QB, Michigan State."

• Don Banks, SI.com: "I keep trying to discern the master plan, but I just can't see the wisdom of it. It strikes me as the wrong move, at the wrong time, by the wrong team."

• Will Brinson, CBSSports.com: "Unless the NFL is suddenly going to start using the same rules as a two-quarterback fantasy league, the decision to grab Kirk Cousins doesn't make any sense."

• Gregg Rosenthal, NFL.com: "The Redskins believe Cousins can be a good backup. That's not a luxury in today's NFL; it's a requirement."

• Todd McShay, ESPN Radio, thinks Cousins could end up as one of those coveted backup QBs down the road: "This might be the best thing that ever happened to Kirk Cousins' career."

My opinion: I believe in generating as much positive energy as possible. Cousins want an opportunity but he won't get it in Washington. "RG III is the quarterback", said by Shanahan says that because the Redskins evaluated him so, he's going to be handed the starting QB. I think the young man is a rookie who is full of unknowns and he has not proven a thing in the NFL.

Also, "RG III is the quarterback", says to Cousins "You are not." But when is the opportunity going to come? When Griffin gets hurt. The Redskins seem to be implying there is no possibility Griffin struggles at all. Even if he does, the QB that Shanahan said is too good to pass up isn't the man, right?

Besides, Griffin will get the snaps in practice and Cousins won't. Right?

To me it is beyond stupid to draft a young man and extinguish his dreams, or, to make Griffin look over his shoulder at another rookie.

I thought that was a great post until the last sentence. There's no reason for RG3 to look over his shoulder. He knows he's good, and Shanny made it abundantly clear that he is the future of the Skins. He's not going to be scared of a 4th round pick. I've never heard of people getting so indignant about a 4th round pick. Lavar Arrington was maybe the worst. I listend to his radio show yesterday, and he made it sound like the craziest and stupidest pick of all times.

He's a 4th round pick.

4th round.

That's like after the top of the 1st, after mid 1st, after late 1st, after 2nd rounder, after 3rd rounder, sometime before 5th rounder.

It's the 4th round.

I bet 90% of the people complaining about the Skins' 4th round pick don't remember the name of their 3rd round pick.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,625

Post#25 » by pancakes3 » Tue May 1, 2012 3:32 pm

it is possible for a lower pick to oust a higher pick. it's also possible for lower picks to not pan out as expected. it's also possible for both picks to flourish and be successful.

6th round pick tom brady
7th round pick matt cassel
7th round pick ryan fitzpatrick
7th round pick matt ryan
undrafted tony romo

it IS an interesting move, imo
Bullets -> Wizards
RealGM

Post#26 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue May 1, 2012 4:10 pm

Ruzious wrote:I thought that was a great post until the last sentence. There's no reason for RG3 to look over his shoulder. He knows he's good, and Shanny made it abundantly clear that he is the future of the Skins. He's not going to be scared of a 4th round pick. I've never heard of people getting so indignant about a 4th round pick. Lavar Arrington was maybe the worst. I listend to his radio show yesterday, and he made it sound like the craziest and stupidest pick of all times.

He's a 4th round pick.

4th round.

That's like after the top of the 1st, after mid 1st, after late 1st, after 2nd rounder, after 3rd rounder, sometime before 5th rounder.

It's the 4th round.

I bet 90% of the people complaining about the Skins' 4th round pick don't remember the name of their 3rd round pick.

Ruz, do you have kids? I have three sons (my stepson is in FL but the two youngest are with me in joint custody with their mom). One is older and big but the younger one looks for every opportunity to outshine him. If I compliment one I have to say something about the other, or he feels slighted. Worst of all, those dudes keep stuff going. They compete, argue, and would fight if the 12 year old wasn't 60 pounds heavier than the 10-year old.

Shanny can say Griffin is the QB and Griffin is confident ... Now. Wait til this season. No. Wait til the first few snaps of training camp. If Cousins' offense at Michigan State did not throw a lot of bubble screens like Griffin's did .... and if Cousins got more done with his arm while Griffin had spectacular runs and a lot of run after the catch from his receivers; then the guy "too good to pass up" will be the guy Shanny favors.

Drafting Cousins is like marrying a beautiful woman but bringing her hot, single, little sister to live with just the two of you. Don't let her walk around the house and catch your gaze.

Man, this is going someplace I didn't intend. :)
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by Ruzious » Tue May 1, 2012 5:08 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I thought that was a great post until the last sentence. There's no reason for RG3 to look over his shoulder. He knows he's good, and Shanny made it abundantly clear that he is the future of the Skins. He's not going to be scared of a 4th round pick. I've never heard of people getting so indignant about a 4th round pick. Lavar Arrington was maybe the worst. I listend to his radio show yesterday, and he made it sound like the craziest and stupidest pick of all times.

He's a 4th round pick.

4th round.

It's the 4th round.

Ruz, do you have kids? I have three sons (my stepson is in FL but the two youngest are with me in joint custody with their mom). One is older and big but the younger one looks for every opportunity to outshine him. If I compliment one I have to say something about the other, or he feels slighted. Worst of all, those dudes keep stuff going. They compete, argue, and would fight if the 12 year old wasn't 60 pounds heavier than the 10-year old.

Shanny can say Griffin is the QB and Griffin is confident ... Now. Wait til this season. No. Wait til the first few snaps of training camp. If Cousins' offense at Michigan State did not throw a lot of bubble screens like Griffin's did .... and if Cousins got more done with his arm while Griffin had spectacular runs and a lot of run after the catch from his receivers; then the guy "too good to pass up" will be the guy Shanny favors.

Drafting Cousins is like marrying a beautiful woman but bringing her hot, single, little sister to live with just the two of you. Don't let her walk around the house and catch your gaze.

With all due respect to 4th rounders everywhere, compared to the 2nd pick in the draft - who cost you 3 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder - a 4th round pick is the skanky looking girl with 3 nostrils sticking out of her belly button.

These guys are all growed up. But even aside from that, they're exceptional people - super-smart gys who understand what's what. Cousins wants to play - just like every other player picked in the draft. Guess what - he ain't gonna unless RG3 gets injured. He knows it, RG3 knows; Lloyd Benson knows it; JFK knows it, and both LBJ's know it.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#28 » by FAH1223 » Tue May 1, 2012 5:41 pm

I'm a Packers fan and I remember when they drafted not one, but TWO QBs in 2008 when Aaron Rodgers was named the starter. They went 6-10 in 2008 due to defense giving up leads the offense created so in hindsight Brian Brohm was a horrible pick as he is out of the league now and another defender would have been more helpful. Then again, in 2008 the team was coming off a 13-3 season and losing in the conference title game to NYG.

Could be a Matt Flynn/Shaubb situation or a Brian Brohm. It wasn't a pick that needed to be made due to Grossman being a more than capable backup to RG3. Redskins needed some secondary help or another linemen on O.

But who knows.. you may end up winning the Super Bowl 3 years later and all of this is moot. 8-)
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#29 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Tue May 1, 2012 5:53 pm

He's a 4th round pick.

4th round.

It's the 4th round.

CCJ. I'm intrigued. Got any pictures of your sister in law?
In Rizzo we trust
RealGM

Post#30 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue May 1, 2012 6:25 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:

He's a 4th round pick.

4th round.

It's the 4th round.

CCJ. I'm intrigued. Got any pictures of your sister in law?

I'm twice divorced.

If you're reading this is because you want to. I am alone now and I really want to have a Godly relationship with a woman who loves me and me alone. I know how not to cheat ... now. I really value family and am trying to do things God's way. I have to be humble and stop being worldly. If you live another way, more power to you. I'm trying to live right and I want to die better off than I am right now. Here's how I got to where I am today ....

Before I got married, my first two girlfriends were literally sisters. One said I was young for her. She was right and her sister really, uh, taught me some things. I went from being raised well to living in a house full of women. I was young. Over 30 years later the younger one told me not too long ago (Facebook) that I "had a lot of energy". :)

Now my first ex-wife ... at the wedding all I can say is my dad at first meeting her younger sister, said "THAT is her sister!" lsbf, all I have to say is I don't know how or where my integrity came from but some how in all the years I never gave it a thought. For some odd reason, 15 years later I have this picture of her sister in a red, leather dress. Enough to make me read my bible, Romans 8, and think about feeding my spirit and not my flesh. Nope, never tried to talk to her much better looking sister. Not at the pool. Not when little sister was depressed and my ex asked me to check on her. I probably could have helped in the short run. But YEARS LATER, oh, man I don't think I could do that again, man. I coulda been on Stringer. Auntie or Mommy? These Cousin are brother and sister. Not to mention those two sisters' mom was around 45 and none of them were bad looking--island girls from the West Indies.
Bye bye Beal.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#31 » by Wizards2Lottery » Wed May 2, 2012 2:41 am

The only people who will make a controversy out of this are fickle minded fans.

It's a fourth round pick. Get over it.
RealGM

Post#32 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed May 2, 2012 8:58 am

Peter King spoke about this on the radio with Colin Cowherd, yesterday. He thinks the move made no sense at all

--The Redskins do not have a first round pick in 2013 or 2014 because of what they gave up to get Griffin. Talent is needed at other positions but they chose to draft yet another QB at 102.

--The Redskins bypassed many talented players who could step in and play at other positions. They used the 102nd pick to draft Cousins, who could sit the bench the next 5 years. King and Cowherd agreed the way to win in the NFL is not to collect talent. They spoke about Pete Carroll having 4 QBs on the roster. Why?

--Cousins' value is just like that of car that you drive off the lot. What he can demand in trade today is the highest it will be. This time next season he will not get the Skins any high pick and he will be just another quarterback. They didn't draft him to trade him but if they did the returns are diminishing.

I don't have a fickled mind, W2L. Shanahan does IMO. He potentially created a bad situation. At the very least he's ruined the immediate future of Kirk Cameron. The backup QB will not get snaps in practice with Rex Grossman #2 on the depth chart.

What I predict, however, is Shanahan could have a problem with GRIFFIN and he will look to the quarterback "too good to pass up".
Bye bye Beal.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,865

Post#33 » by Wizardspride » Wed May 2, 2012 9:24 am

I don't have a fickled mind, W2L. Shanahan does IMO. He potentially created a bad situation. At the very least he's ruined the immediate future of Kirk Cameron. The backup QB will not get snaps in practice with Rex Grossman #2 on the depth chart.

Did Atlanta ruin Brett Favre while having Pro Bowler Chris Miller on the roster?

Did Green Bay ruin Mark Brunell while having Brett Farve on the roster?

Did Green Bay ruin Matt Hasselbeck while having Brett Farvre on the roster?

Did Atlanta ruin Matt Schaub while having Michael Vick on the roster?

Look CCJ, Robert Griffin IS the quarterback of the present and the future.

You think Shanny gave up a record number of draft picks only to go with Cousins?
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
RealGM

Post#34 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed May 2, 2012 9:41 am

Really nice post, Wizardspride. All of those QBs succeeded. You gave great counterexamples.

I just didn't like him giving up record picks and drafting two QBs in the same draft year.

--Yes, ATL had Chris Miller and Brett Favre at the same time. But Miller was the incumbent, drafted in 1987. Brett came along in 1991.

--Brett Favre was starting and starring with Sterling Sharpe in Green Bay in 1993, the year the Packers brought in Mark Brunell.

--Matt Hassellbeck is a GREAT example. He came along in 1998, and backed up an EXPERIENCED Brett Favre for 3 years. No QB controversy at all in this case. One guy knew the system and that he was the man. Cousins wanted to play in Denver, and to play behind a legend. In DC he's already told that he'll play behind Robert Griffin--who right now has the same achievements he does. Also, REX GROSSMAN is the Brett Favre to both.

--In Atlanta, Matt Shaub came out of Virginia was a very accurate, big arm in 2004. Mike Vick was already a Pro Bowl QB by then. Mentor/protege did not have any instability at all.

YOU GUYS WHO DON'T AGREE WITH ME NEED TO REALIZE THE PROBLEM IS TWO HIGH-PROFILE ROOKIES AT THE SAME TIME CAN HURT THE DEVELOPMENT OF BOTH.

REX IS A SHAKY QB TO BEGIN WITH, IMO, AND HE'S THE MENTOR

I think it would have made more sense to cut Grossman and Beck, bring in somebody like Jason Campbell to mentor Griffin, and call it a team.
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by Ruzious » Wed May 2, 2012 11:26 am

Wizardspride wrote:

Did Atlanta ruin Brett Favre while having Pro Bowler Chris Miller on the roster?

Did Green Bay ruin Mark Brunell while having Brett Farve on the roster?

Did Green Bay ruin Matt Hasselbeck while having Brett Farvre on the roster?

Did Atlanta ruin Matt Schaub while having Michael Vick on the roster?

Look CCJ, Robert Griffin IS the quarterback of the present and the future.

You think Shanny gave up a record number of draft picks only to go with Cousins?

Hell, when Dallas picked Aikman #1, they picked another QB in the 1st round. And some people are literally panicking over a 4th rounder. It really boggles the mind.

They could have gotten an instant Pro Bowl cornerback with that 4th round pick! We don't need no stinking backup QB. We have Rex Grossman. Hey, we could simply sign Grossman or someone less of a leader and more expensive to a long-term extension at 3 mil a year rather than having a good young backup with extraordinary intangibles at 400K a year. That extra money could have been used to fill a hole or 2, but but but but.... It's a known fact that a rookie QB can only hurt a fellow rookie QB.
RealGM

Post#36 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed May 2, 2012 11:49 am

http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/dal ... draft/1989

No, Ruz. Dallas didn't draft another QB in 1989 (see the link above).

Mike Shanahan either (1) ruined the career of Kirk Cousins, (2)created a Schuler/Frerotte rivalry among two rookies that could detract from Griffin's development (his confidence could get DESTROYED if Cousins adapts faster to the offense), (3)wasted a pick on a Cousins, who will never play, instead of drafting needs elsewhere, or (4) Picked Cousins to trade him later--but not likely due to Cousins being "too good to pass up".

It was not a good decision to draft the Heisman winner and then draft another quarterback a day later.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#37 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed May 2, 2012 11:58 am

Ruz, the rookie thing is this: Quarterbacks compete and there are only so many reps for each to get during a practice. Timing is very important. If Grossman is the backup and Griffin is the man to get most of the snaps; then what does Cousins do, learn vicariously or by osmosis? Not getting reps slows the development of Cousins.

If I were Kirk Cousins I would be bitterly disappointed to be drafted by a team that has no logical reason to draft me, and where I have NO CHANCE to start. I would wonder why I was on the team? It is not like Cousins is going to learn ANYTHING about the NFL from Griffin. I'm not sure he wants Grossman as a mentor.

As for Heisman winner Griffin, if I were to try and empathize with him, I would say I'm not even the only rookie QB in training camp. What a meat market! Donovan McNabb already said he didn't think RGIII would fit Shanahan's system. I'm going to tell you I agree with Donovan!

This is my last post on this, because I don't think you want to budge and I'm definitely not budging. I show Wizardspride there is a difference in drafting a rookie when there already is an established QB.

You cannot show me one single time there were TWO ROOKIE QBS AT THE SAME TIME on the same team where they both worked out.
Bye bye Beal.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM

Post#38 » by Wizards2Lottery » Wed May 2, 2012 12:39 pm

:lol:

Skip Bayless would struggle to make arguments as bad these.

Donovan McNabb is an idiot. Tell me again how he "fit" with the VIkings who unlike us, were going to mold their offense around him. He's a whiny biatch.

If you think RGIII's confidence will be shaken by this move, then you've read nothing or seen anything about him in the months leading up to the draft. Which makes sense, considering how you think Mike Shanahan ruined the career of a guy who no team was looking at as a possible starter. This guy was a late round pick in a terrible draft of QB's. No team was drafting this guy with the hopes of him being a starter one day.
MDStar
Senior
And1: 94

Post#39 » by MDStar » Wed May 2, 2012 12:41 pm

This conversation is CRAZY! Kirk Cousins was/is not destined to be a starter. Could he be in the right situation, at the the right time, possibly but talent scouts and decision makers across the NFL say that he's not.

Seattle picked Russel Wilson in the 3rd round, not 4th but 3rd, shortly after signing Matt Flynn to be their starter for the present and future. Is their a controversy there? Nope. Is the situation blown out of proportion? Nope. Is Russel Wilson ruined? Nope. Is Matt Flynn afraid that if he starts off bad the fans will start calling for Wilson? I'd bet money he that he isn't. Did they have other holes to fill coming of a 7-9 season? Absolutely. But they drafted on value and thought that Wilson was good enough to draft there no matter who was on the roster.

People need to get a grip and understand that this is a business and some players are meant to be starters and others are meant to be backups. Cousins is a backup/insurance policy, that while not the most pressing need, was still a need and the Redskins obviously figured that him in the 4th rd was better for the overall team, than another backup safety, guard or tackle. Which we still drafted later in the rounds. Give me a break.
Just let the young boys play! It's truly the only hope at this point.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM

Post#40 » by Wizards2Lottery » Wed May 2, 2012 12:43 pm

MDStar wrote:People need to get a grip and understand that this is a business and some players are meant to be starters and others are meant to be backups.

Blowing things out of proportion beats rationally trying to look at a situation.

Return to Washington Football Team