Get to know Orlando Johnson

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

GrangerDanger
Banned User
And1: 12

Get to know Orlando Johnson 

Post#1 » by GrangerDanger » Sat Jun 2, 2012 2:01 am

Why is this guy not getting any buzz? His shot is money, he has NBA size and athleticism for a SG (6-5 with a 6-11 wingspan), and he knows how to create seperation for his shots. His shot selection could use work, but he is one of the better shooters in this draft. I think he could be the steal of the second round.

Some highlights

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBFPEqECJus[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj4D_B0gT48&feature=related[youtube][
Marlo Stanfield
Banned User

Re: Get to know Orlando Johnson 

Post#2 » by Marlo Stanfield » Sat Jun 2, 2012 2:55 am

I'm pretty high on him. I think he'll sneak into the mid-late 20's by the time the picks are in. Everything about him says steal.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,807

Post#3 » by Klomp » Sat Jun 2, 2012 3:27 am

I've loved this kid since last season. Could see him go to SA where they'd groom him as a Manu replacement.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
GrangerDanger
Banned User

Post#4 » by GrangerDanger » Sat Jun 2, 2012 4:18 am

^

Man I would love that too. He would really blossom under Pop.
JamesNaismith
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#5 » by JamesNaismith » Sat Jun 2, 2012 4:37 am

To quote GSP...."I'm not impressed"
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,064

Post#6 » by tidho » Sat Jun 2, 2012 9:50 pm

I like Johnson. I could see him going as high as 24 to the Cavaliers. I don't think he'll ever be a special player but he can be a very good 6-9 bench guy or a spot starter. He seems like a volume scorer without the efficiency to take it to the next level.
neiiru_3
Sophomore
And1: 48

Post#7 » by neiiru_3 » Sun Jun 3, 2012 3:52 am

Big time sleeper. Could end up being better than the so called early and mid first rounders.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,432

Post#8 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Jun 3, 2012 4:38 am

He measured out at 6'3 for what it's worth, I believe that was in sneakers as well.

His wingspan was sick though, like around 7 foot and he had an absurd vertical leap.

I saw him play a few times towards the end of the season. He looks solid, but there's something about him that just doesn't say really good player or sleeper to me.

I do think he has a great chance to be a solid contributing rotation player for a decade though.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
yitur
Sixth Man
And1: 859

Post#9 » by yitur » Sun Jun 3, 2012 9:54 pm

Last year people sleep on Shumpert, I think he could be a offensive Shumpert better offense less defense, and a great steal around 25-35 range
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,444

Post#10 » by KF10 » Sun Jun 3, 2012 10:47 pm

Johnson can be a real solid rotational player for a good team.
lovethewire
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#11 » by lovethewire » Sun Jun 3, 2012 11:28 pm

As a Mavs fan, if Ross isn't available at 17, I'd like us to drop back 6-8 spots and draft him
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#12 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Jun 4, 2012 12:15 am

Charlie Bell?
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
lovethewire
Banned User

Post#13 » by lovethewire » Mon Jun 4, 2012 12:40 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:He measured out at 6'3 for what it's worth, I believe that was in sneakers as well.

His wingspan was sick though, like around 7 foot and he had an absurd vertical leap.

I saw him play a few times towards the end of the season. He looks solid, but there's something about him that just doesn't say really good player or sleeper to me.

I do think he has a great chance to be a solid contributing rotation player for a decade though.

He actually measured 6'4 1/2 in shoes
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-dra ... os=0&sort=
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#14 » by ManualRam » Mon Jun 4, 2012 12:43 am

morris almond without the attitude?
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#15 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Jun 4, 2012 1:37 am

lovethewire wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:He measured out at 6'3 for what it's worth, I believe that was in sneakers as well.

Aah, it was 6'3 barefoot. Thanks. I take it those are the #'s from Jersey? That's where I got the original from, but I didn't have a link to the article I was going off memory.
lovethewire
Banned User

Post#16 » by lovethewire » Mon Jun 4, 2012 2:04 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:
lovethewire wrote:

Aah, it was 6'3 barefoot. Thanks. I take it those are the #'s from Jersey? That's where I got the original from, but I didn't have a link to the article I was going off memory.

Yes sir
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#17 » by KF10 » Mon Jun 4, 2012 2:20 am

ManualRam wrote:morris almond without the attitude?

Morris Almond is out of the league. Johnson will have a better start than him.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#18 » by ManualRam » Mon Jun 4, 2012 3:03 am

KF10 wrote:

depends on his opportunity. almond wasnt given much his rookie yr because he was a scorer/shot-hunter and not much else. that doesnt fly with jerry sloan.
i think their games are similar, but imo, almond was a more gifted scorer.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#19 » by KF10 » Mon Jun 4, 2012 4:22 am

ManualRam wrote:
KF10 wrote:

depends on his opportunity. almond wasnt given much his rookie yr because he was a scorer/shot-hunter and not much else. that doesnt fly with jerry sloan.
i think their games are similar, but imo, almond was a more gifted scorer.

You could say they are similar, I guess. I think Johnson is a more comfortable as a ball handler than Almond is though. Johnson runs the floor effectively too. I watched Johnson plenty of times here at Santa Barbara (student), dude can glide the court and finish plays at a high level.

OJ can definitely score in every way possible i.e. 3PT, mid range, pull up, lay ups etc. He has a killer spot up shot at the right wing of the floor. Dude never misses from there every time when I see him. Overall, he is a pretty damn good spot up shooter. I think if he wants a spot on the roster he needs to curve his scoring mentality from being an alpha male to a role player/spot up shooter that can make athletic plays around the rim. Defensively, he was ok. A lot of fans give him the benefit of the doubt because he was our leading scorer but he can D up when he has to, plus, he has a long wingspan.

He will be a steal if he falls in deep 2nd round, he should really be drafted early 2nd round/late 1st round if a team does their scouting/draft homework.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#20 » by KF10 » Mon Jun 4, 2012 4:23 am

I think what separates Almond and OJ is that OJ looks far more coach-able in the sense that he would get into a spot up shooter role without saying something back.

Return to NBA Draft