Crazy ending in Calder Cup (want opinions)

trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,315

Crazy ending in Calder Cup (want opinions) 

Post#1 » by trwi7 » Fri Jun 8, 2012 7:27 am

We have a section for the minor leagues but nobody ever posts there so I thought I'd ask for opinions here.

So here's the play.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BPsaKNqBXc[/youtube]

And here's the AHL rulebook.

83.4 Disallowed Goal – If the puck is shot on goal during a delayed offside, the play shall be allowed to continue under the normal clearing-the-zone rules. Should the puck, as a result of this shot, enter the defending team’s goal, either directly or off the goalkeeper, a player or an official on the ice, the goal shall be disallowed as the original shot was off-side. The fact that the attacking team may have cleared the zone prior to the puck entering the goal has no bearing on this ruling. The face-off will be conducted at the face-off spot in the zone closest to the point of origin of the shot that gives the offending team the least amount of territorial advantagewa. The only way an attacking team can score a goal on a delayed offside situation is if the defending team shoots or puts the puck into their
own net without action or contact by the offending team.
Other than in situations involving a delayed off-side and the puck being shot on goal, no goal can be disallowed after the fact for an offside violation, except for the human factor involved in blowing the whistle.

The bolded part is the key for me in saying that the goal shouldn't have counted but it also doesn't say anything in the rules about the puck hitting a stanchion and bouncing into an open net. I suppose it doesn't have to but they may have to add that to the rule book next year after this ending.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Re: Crazy ending in Calder Cup (want opinions) 

Post#2 » by WEFFPIM » Fri Jun 8, 2012 4:01 pm

As far as I'm concerned, the rule states that since Toronto never touched the puck and put it in the net themselves, and Norfolk was clearly offsides, the goal should have been wiped out. It shouldn't matter that it took an awkward hop and went in, a Norfolk player shot it, no Toronto player touched it, it shouldn't have counted.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#3 » by trwi7 » Fri Jun 8, 2012 4:25 pm

And less than a day later we have a statement by the AHL.

“We have spoken with Toronto Marlies management and confirmed that a rules interpretation error by the on-ice officials occurred on the Norfolk Admirals’ overtime goal during Game 3 of the Calder Cup Finals.

“On the play, a dump-in from center ice by a Norfolk player caromed off a stanchion and into the Toronto net. The correct application of AHL Rule 83.4 would have negated the Norfolk goal due to a delayed offside call.

“As AHL By-Laws do not allow for any change to the final result of a game based on an incorrect rule interpretation, the result of the game stands.”
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

WEFFPIM
RealGM

Post#4 » by WEFFPIM » Fri Jun 8, 2012 4:38 pm

I'm sure the Marlies are thrilled with the response.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#5 » by trwi7 » Fri Jun 8, 2012 5:13 pm

Yeah, it definitely sucks for them. At least that wasn't a series clinching goal and they were down in the series 2-0 already to a team that had won 41 of their last 44 games so the chances of the Marlies winning the series anyways was slim.

WEFFPIM
RealGM

Post#6 » by WEFFPIM » Fri Jun 8, 2012 6:13 pm

Just talked to a guy with the IceHogs and get his thoughts on it. He said that the AHL is close to installing replay next season and this should push it over the edge.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#7 » by trwi7 » Sat Jun 9, 2012 11:24 am

WEFFPIM wrote:Just talked to a guy with the IceHogs and get his thoughts on it. He said that the AHL is close to installing replay next season and this should push it over the edge.

And they need replay bad. The referees are terrible. The Admirals have had about 7-10 should have been goals taken away in the last couple years because the refs suck. I'd imagine it's close to the same number for every other team as well.

Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#8 » by Celtics_Champs » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:09 am

INCREDIBLE! I've always wanted to see something like that happen, and it happened in the finals. Crazy.

Poor Marlies.

Return to The General NHL Board