ImageImageImage

CBA: is there a chance there can be another strike/lockout?

Moderator: Crowned

YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,384

CBA: is there a chance there can be another strike/lockout? 

Post#1 » by YogiStewart » Fri Jun 1, 2012 10:48 am

There's zero chatter about a new CBA. i believe this one expires on Sep 15. um, that's pretty soon.

with Fehr leading the NHLPA and the lack of audible progress, i get the feeling that we're inching closer to a strike.
remember: Fehr lead the MLBPA during their last lock-out and he also flexed his NHL muscles by vetoing the proposed re-allignment with little to no known reason.

Even though NHL players saw what happened with the NBA and NFL last off-season, are they possibly inching closer to a strike?
Blessed
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: CBA: is there a chance there can be another strike/locko 

Post#2 » by Blessed » Sat Jun 2, 2012 4:06 am

I expect to miss around 20 games. Only positive thing I can take out of this (If we dont have a season) is that the Leafs will get to pick 5th overall again.
cb4_89
RealGM
And1: 517

Post#3 » by cb4_89 » Sun Jun 3, 2012 12:10 am

The players can't be stupid enough to risk a strike again. The owners have proven they can and will crush them.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#4 » by whysoserious » Sun Jun 3, 2012 5:01 pm

The salary cap has done nothing but gone up since the last lockout, players are still making a ton of money. I'm not sure I see a reason for either side at this point to push this to a strike. Sort out a few of the minor things, maybe make it a shorter CBA but don't risk any lost games.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#5 » by Crowned » Mon Jun 4, 2012 3:00 am

It'll ruin the league if there's an extended lockout. The NHL better settle it quickly.
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#6 » by sanity » Wed Jun 6, 2012 9:17 pm

If there's another lockout that cancels an entire season I'm absolutely done with NHL hockey
Jay_Hawk
Pro Prospect
And1: 144

Post#7 » by Jay_Hawk » Thu Jun 7, 2012 1:45 am

sanity wrote:If there's another lockout that cancels an entire season I'm absolutely done with NHL hockey

Same. In fact, I completely stopped watching hockey after the first lockout (converted to basketball), only to just get back into it recently.

Going through another work-stoppage would be bad business for the NHL. Especially with the added exposure of the Kings possibly winning the cup.

Props to Brunoskull for the sig.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#8 » by whysoserious » Thu Jun 7, 2012 2:35 am

Jay_Hawk wrote:
sanity wrote:If there's another lockout that cancels an entire season I'm absolutely done with NHL hockey

Same. In fact, I completely stopped watching hockey after the first lockout (converted to basketball), only to just get back into it recently.

Going through another work-stoppage would be bad business for the NHL. Especially with the added exposure of the Kings possibly winning the cup.

I feel pretty much the same. Used to watch so much hockey, wouldn't even go out on Saturday's until the Leaf game was over. Now not even close but started watching more the past few years and especially this year. Another stoppage and i'll just stick to basketball and try getting in to soccer and college basketball.
Blessed
Banned User

Post#9 » by Blessed » Thu Jun 7, 2012 4:37 pm

whysoserious wrote:
Jay_Hawk wrote:

I feel pretty much the same. Used to watch so much hockey, wouldn't even go out on Saturday's until the Leaf game was over. Now not even close but started watching more the past few years and especially this year. Another stoppage and i'll just stick to basketball and try getting in to soccer and college basketball.

Im just starting to get into basketball because I feel like there is going to be no season. Hockey is already getting worse, because now with a big hit, 70% of the time its a penalty. And, the leafs suck.
sanity
RealGM

Post#10 » by sanity » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:37 am

I loved the late90s hockey but when that 2nd lockout hit ('03-04) so many players I liked and followed extensively for YEARS had to retire... it pissed me off so much. The Leafs probably got screwed over the most since it was just a year or 2 after we made that huge splash in free agency for vet. players like Leetch, Nieuwendyk , Roberts, Renberg, Francis, Belfour etc. That was such a stacked team of old farts but it could've been a playoffs contender
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,384

Post#11 » by YogiStewart » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:06 pm

if you listened to the Finals' broadcasts, there were clear comments made by announcers, etc that alluded to a lock-out/delay.

it went from being an absurd possibility to now being a very possible likelihood.
Dexter_Mac
Banned User

Post#12 » by Dexter_Mac » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:44 pm

YogiStewart wrote:if you listened to the Finals' broadcasts, there were clear comments made by announcers, etc that alluded to a lock-out/delay.

it went from being an absurd possibility to now being a very possible likelihood.

I think theres a 99% chance that there IS a lockout. I believe earlier in the year, there was problems and disagreements between the two parties. Damn, I really dont want to see another lockout.
Jay_Hawk
Pro Prospect
And1: 144

Post#13 » by Jay_Hawk » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:38 pm

YogiStewart wrote:if you listened to the Finals' broadcasts, there were clear comments made by announcers, etc that alluded to a lock-out/delay.

The writing was pretty much on the wall when the PA turned down the league's proposal of conference realignment. We'll stay tuned, but it's not looking good.

Props to Brunoskull for the sig.
sanity
RealGM

Post#14 » by sanity » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:38 pm

Doesn't seem to be many reports about an impending lockout and a lot of teams are going ahead with trades and stuff, at least right now they are

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs