Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

re49gb_2gho32fp
Banned User
And1: 14

Rudy Gobert 

Post#1 » by re49gb_2gho32fp » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:11 pm

Jonathan Givony ‏@DraftExpress

Rudy Gobert measuring 214 cm (a little over 7-feet) without shoes at the #adidasEuroCamp

Rudy Gobert's wingspan measured 236 centimeter, a hair under 7-9. Longest wingspan in our database

Often safer to draft a physical freak center from europe as opposed to US due to [1] experience playing the position legitimately, and [2] competing against seasoned vets in most cases compared to kids.

A probable lotto pick.

[ed. i believe Ilimane Diop has a 7'9" wingspan as well, being 3 years younger]
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Re: Rudy Gobert 

Post#2 » by ManualRam » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:40 pm

the next alexis ajinca?

shaolin wrote:[ed. i believe Ilimane Diop has a 7'9" wingspan as well, being 3 years younger]

one of the best first names i've ever seen.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
7-Day Dray
Assistant Coach
And1: 5

Post#3 » by 7-Day Dray » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:53 pm

More footage from Ilimane Diop:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsG913luTiw[/youtube]

Dude's a twig, but he's longer than a mofo (nh).
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,536

Post#4 » by Dr Positivity » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:16 pm

re49gb_2gho32fp
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#5 » by re49gb_2gho32fp » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:39 pm

ManualRam wrote:the next alexis ajinca?

Should've put an asterisk next to "europe" by excluding France. Good point.
France disposes over the least advanced basketball platform amongst the main countries, but then again, euro athletes are mainly derived from that country exclusively. The other source is naturalized Spaniards.
Other than that, Milicic and Aleksandrov (what.a.talent. crushed by injures early on) are the only physical freaks out of europe i can think of. I guess Radmanovic and P. Gasol were fairly athletic, but not freaks.
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,081

Post#6 » by sisibilio » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:22 pm

shaolin wrote:

France disposes over the least advanced basketball platform amongst the main countries, but then again, euro athletes are mainly derived from that country exclusively. The other source is naturalized Spaniards.
Other than that, Milicic and Aleksandrov (what.a.talent. crushed by injures early on) are the only physical freaks out of europe i can think of. I guess Radmanovic and P. Gasol were fairly athletic, but not freaks.

What made Aleksandrov unique was his skilset for a guy of his size, he wasn't a freak athlete, not anymore than Gasol that's for sure.
If you're looking for freaks Javtokas is your man, before the motorbike accident he was a facking beast.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
sisibilio
Head Coach

Post#7 » by sisibilio » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:23 pm

shaolin wrote:[ed. i believe Ilimane Diop has a 7'9" wingspan as well, being 3 years younger]

Can't confirm but he's got to be close, the kid can touch the rim without jumping.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

coutournant
Junior
And1: 75

Post#8 » by coutournant » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:56 pm

Gobert looks a lot like Ajinça physically (although he's got more length and less fluidity), but he's a totally different player. Gobert plays like a real big man, he's not afraid to go in the paint. He reminds me more of a Tyson Chandler in the way he plays.

Strength : height and length, natural shotblocker, mobility for his size, good hands, very effective (shots 80% in top french league), good BBIQ, good learner

Weakness : no post game due to lack of strength, in defense gets overmuscled by smaller players, must improve his Free Throws

He's got a really high upside if he manages to gain muscles without losing his mobility
coutournant
Junior

Post#9 » by coutournant » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:28 pm

shaolin wrote:

I'm french but to me the best euro-athlete is Jan Vesely, and he's Czech not French :)

There are a lot of good athletes in Russia too (Kirilenko, Khryapa, Monya, Mozgov...), Great Britain (Deng, Pops), North-East Europe (Lithuania, Poland, Germany).

The main athletic prospect in Europe is Clint Ndumba Capella from Switzerland, a big forward (6'9, 1994) with terrific frame and mobility, but really raw basketball skills

A lot of athletic prospects are emerging in Europe, you're right France is by far the best country in this domain, but this is not the only country
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,539

Post#10 » by HornetJail » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:37 pm

7-Day Dray wrote:More footage from Ilimane Diop:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsG913luTiw[/youtube]

Dude's a twig, but he's longer than a mofo (nh).

Is this guy related to Desagana Diop?
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
sisibilio
Head Coach

Post#11 » by sisibilio » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:13 am

Not that i know. Diop is probably the most common surname in Senegal.
@MikePradaSBN

eslr
Assistant Coach
And1: 25

Post#12 » by eslr » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:30 am

shaolin wrote:
Often safer to draft a physical freak center from europe as opposed to US due to [1] experience playing the position legitimately, and [2] competing against seasoned vets in most cases compared to kids.

History laughs at you.
pohani komarac
Senior
And1: 150

Post#13 » by pohani komarac » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:40 am

sisibilio wrote:
shaolin wrote:

What made Aleksandrov unique was his skilset for a guy of his size, he wasn't a freak athlete, not anymore than Gasol that's for sure.
If you're looking for freaks Javtokas is your man, before the motorbike accident he was a facking beast.

not true. i had chance to watch aba league games before his injury. he was not athlethic freak, but was far more athletic then gasol. let's say close to young kukoc athletic abilitys. he had good shoothing touch and good drive to basket. but other skills of aleksandrov were average at best. his back to basket game was not good and his left hand was usles in drives or in low post game
coutournant
Junior

Post#14 » by coutournant » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:49 pm

You can see some of his highlights in Treviso in this video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXSgw_ep ... _embedded#!
coutournant
Junior

Post#15 » by coutournant » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:00 pm

Gobert was called as additional help in French NT in order to prepare Olympic Games. For the moment Seraphin is the only center available : Noah and Traoré are injured, Mahinmi is withdrawing and Turiaf is still playing the play-offs.

I doubt Gobert will do the Olympics as he's programmed to play with U20 NT this summer but it will be very good for his experience to train against NBA players like Diaw and Seraphin.

He's got a shot to play international games against Italy and Ivory Coast by the end of the month
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,072

Post#16 » by UGA Hayes » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:25 pm

Wow Diop's arms are kind of scary, literally.
coutournant
Junior

Post#17 » by coutournant » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:46 am

Rudy Gobert is twenty today, and will probably get his first French NT selection tomorrow against Italy.

Here is a video of his highlights in French Pro A this year with Cholet Basket

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdTECaze ... r_embedded

No offensive game except dunks, putbacks and alley-hoops but you can see him owning some of the most physical Pro A players like Junior Elonu or Akingbala (who are 6'10 250 lbs athletic centers).
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#18 » by No-Man » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:54 am

He's a better prospect than for example Isiah Austin
UnderdogKnicks
Starter
And1: 40

Post#19 » by UnderdogKnicks » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:05 am

The French and probably smarter Mcgee.
Classics :

Knicks, Giants, Yankees, Rangers
gensu3k1
Senior
And1: 2

Post#20 » by gensu3k1 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:10 am

This is a seriously talented dude. You'd think he'd just come out this year and go top 10.
Zach Randolph + Kevin Durant >>>>>>> Greg Oden. Bob Whitsitt>>>>>> Kevin Pritchard.
"Jan Vesely, this guy can really shoot it." --Jay Bilas, 2011

Return to NBA Draft