sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,070

Zhou Qi - the next big asian thing 

Post#1 » by sisibilio » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:20 am

Is not Jeremy Lin.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYVO5bUF ... re=related

But Zhou Qi.

The most devoted bbll junkies around probably already know his name. He started to gain some fame around the net, at least among those outside of China, last year in february when he had some ridiculous (Rickyrubiesques) statlines in a tournament played in Turkey, including 40 pt 28 reb 15 blk in the semifinal and 30 pt 17 reb 8 blk in the final.
http://www.chinasportstoday.com/en/blog ... t_yao_ming
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BUANG-o9Iw[/youtube]

Some would argue that it wasn't an official tournament and th competition might not have been that good, not to mention the guy looked like a bamboo stick. Well, ok.

Later that summer took place the 2nd U16 asian tournament and China led by Zhou (or should i say Qi?) dominated effortlessly as expected and qualified for the u17 world tournament that will be held in Lithuania next july.
You can read some discussions about the tournament here.
http://forums.interbasket.net/showthrea ... 28-Vietnam
But then again the naysayers could argue that China is always expected to win there. And remember that iranian guy, Rouzbahani, also dominated one of those underwhatever asian tournaments a few years back and, where is he now?
Fair enough.

This spring the chinese NT attended the tournament of Mannheim, arguably the most prestigious u18 tournament in the world. Despite China losing 4 out of the 6 games and having more earthly numbers (he didn't play in one of the games and remember he was 2 years younger than most of his rivals) he left everyone in attendance extremely impressed.

europeanprospects wrote:Zhou Qi looks really impressive. Great feel for the ball. Able to handle the ball. Shoot. 2m15 tall.

https://twitter.com/#!/ChristopheEPcom/ ... 2036559872
http://www.europeanprospects.com/1994-b ... -bottom-8/

Antonio Rodriguez wrote:The famous Chinese, the one everyone talked about but nobody had seen. This was his grand international showcase. At 16 years old i have never seen anyone like him. Or at 17, or at 18. Amazing, fascinating, awesome ... The player with more potential that i have ever seen in Mannheim

http://www.feb.es/NoticiaDesarrollo.asp ... icia=42000

Here you can see an extensive video of his performance there. :wink:

In a few months we all will be able to see with our own eyes if all the buzz and attention he has received was or not deserved. Will he be the next Rubio, the next Yao, the next Sabonis, the next Aleksandrov?
Only time will tell but like the old balladist wrote: "To the most beautiful moment in life. Better than the deed, better than the memory. The moment... of anticipation!"
(its really a quote from the Simpsons but it's still great xd)

Let the hype begin.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
mavs7777
Junior
And1: 0

Re: the next big asian thing 

Post#2 » by mavs7777 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:41 am

that basketball is tiny
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#3 » by ManualRam » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:33 pm

he looks more fluid than most 7'+ kids that age. that's all i can really say.
i'd have to see more.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
JimboSlice
Senior
And1: 16

Post#4 » by JimboSlice » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:07 pm

this thread title made my immaturity lol
Thou Shalt Not Shave
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#5 » by azuresou1 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:30 am

Looks like he has good touch, but lacks explosiveness and mobility. Not sure if he'll pan out, I'd bet against it.
sisibilio
Head Coach

Post#6 » by sisibilio » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:07 pm

Really? do you think a 16 years old 7 footer able to do this lacks mobility?
Allow me to disagree.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Elden Payton
RealGM
And1: 2,591

Post#7 » by Elden Payton » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:55 am

He's probably 46 /Green
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,266

Post#8 » by Nuntius » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:08 pm

He seems to have good skills but not so good athleticism. I'd take that bet.

If he was to take a scholarship at Georgetown then he could translate pretty well.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
sisibilio
Head Coach

Post#9 » by sisibilio » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:42 pm

david hein wrote:By far the biggest talent at the tournament was 16-year-old Chinese center Zhou Qi.

The Chinese team was made up exclusively of players born in 1995 and 1996 as they prepare for the FIBA U17 World Championship in Lithuania this summer. And Qi, who turned 16 in January, showed that he can already dominate older competition.

While he still needs to build body mass, he already has a strong feeling around the basket offensively, defends adequately for his weight, knows how to block shots and even boasts a bit of a mean streak. He has plenty of tools to work with and if he continues to work hard and with dedication, it’s easy to see him as a future star.

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/c ... /arti.html
@MikePradaSBN

edquantum
Rookie
And1: 298

Post#10 » by edquantum » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:33 pm

He's probably 26 years old.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#11 » by Moooose » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:34 pm

He plays like Wang Zhi Zhi. Not enough mobility but decent touch around the basket.
If he's not going to gain some foot speed and a little more hops, he'll probably end up with the same fate.
Yi Jianlian is perhaps the next most talented Chinese basketball player (next to Yao) that has an NBA game, and yet he's buried deep in the Mavs' bench. Back when he was in Washington, he was capable of double doubles in decent playing time. Too sad, he's not even in the Mavs' regular rotation.
peZt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,642

Post#12 » by peZt » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:59 am

I've been hyping this kid up since I saw him in that tournament in Turkey. He was just incredible there.
He's already 7'1, very quick and mobile for his size, incredible ballhandling for a 16 year old 7'1 Center, excellent shot, great shotblocker. Just needs to bulk up.
And I don't think he is older than his listed age, because he looks like a kid.
Can't wait to see him at the World Championship and the Nike Hoop Summit.
SVictor
Bench Warmer
And1: 23
Location: Madrid - Karl wants JaVale McGee to be more like Tim Duncan LOL

Post#13 » by SVictor » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:55 am

JimboSlice wrote:this thread title made my immaturity lol

:lol:
knickstape1214 wrote:Just so we can see every side of this thread before I close it -

Melo sucks, Knicks sucks, LeBron sucks, Durant is humble, Durant is fake, Durant sucks, Serge Ibaka.
gensu3k1
Senior
And1: 2

Post#14 » by gensu3k1 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:32 am

I wasn't impressed by the youtube clips at all, but the production at the Schweitzer tournament is hard to ignore.
Zach Randolph + Kevin Durant >>>>>>> Greg Oden. Bob Whitsitt>>>>>> Kevin Pritchard.
"Jan Vesely, this guy can really shoot it." --Jay Bilas, 2011
sisibilio
Head Coach

Post#15 » by sisibilio » Wed May 2, 2012 1:35 pm

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/l ... /arti.html

Qi's talent is recognised by opponents too.

“I think he’s an exciting prospect for China basketball," said Australia coach Damian Cotter after Qi went for 13 points, seven rebounds, five blocks, three assists and two steals against his team at the AST.

"He’s obviously very big, but he’s got nice hands. He’s got good footwork. I think in the next two or three years as he develops his body, he is going to become a force to be reckoned with."

“The major thing I learned was that players are a lot more physical and stronger in this tournament than what I was used to before. I learned a lot in playing more physically at center,” said Qi, who finished as the top shot blocker with 4.2 blocks per game in Mannheim.

“I’m just trying to be myself. I’m trying not to pay attention to the media attention. I just want to be myself. I’m trying to improve and just get better,” said Qi.
@MikePradaSBN

sisibilio
Head Coach

Post#16 » by sisibilio » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:35 pm

less than 3 weeks left.

http://kaunas2012.fiba.com/

@MikePradaSBN

CarterDUnk16
Bench Warmer
And1: 125

Post#17 » by CarterDUnk16 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:03 pm

asian pride! Needs to really bulk. Seems like every asian basketball player coming out of china looks like a toothpick. Gotta lay of the vegetables and add some protein. I say this because my family is the same. Usually have to push my parents into making more dishes with meat instead of 4/5 dishes of veges.
boogie-reke
Head Coach
And1: 244

Post#18 » by boogie-reke » Sun Jul 8, 2012 2:28 pm

Are you sure he's 7'2? They have him listed as 6'11 in the FIBA worlds

He's averaged 14 pts, 10 rebs, 4 blk, 2 ast, 1.5 steal and 3 TO per game - shooting 47% from the field (50% from 3 on 4 attempts) and a very impressive 85% from the line, playing 30 minutes per game.
pohani komarac
Senior
And1: 150

Post#19 » by pohani komarac » Sun Jul 8, 2012 8:40 pm

rumours say he is 92. born
JustMagic
Senior
And1: 24

Post#20 » by JustMagic » Sun Jul 8, 2012 9:54 pm

pohani komarac wrote:rumours say he is 92. born

I think those rumours are bs. It will be realy stupid of China (or the kid himself) to do something like this, especailly nowadays that everyhing is online. It's not that strange for a 1,3 billion nation to have 1 7ft athletic kid evevry couple of years.

boogie-reke wrote:Are you sure he's 7'2? They have him listed as 6'11 in the FIBA worlds

He's averaged 14 pts, 10 rebs, 4 blk, 2 ast, 1.5 steal and 3 TO per game - shooting 47% from the field (50% from 3 on 4 attempts) and a very impressive 85% from the line, playing 30 minutes per game.

They rounded down to 6-11 but he is 2.12 cm, which is a bit under 7ft and usually it's without shoes. So you can say he's 7-1 by NBA standards.
He's also a year younger than most players in the tournament.

Return to NBA Draft