Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Thoughts on John Jenkins 

Post#1 » by ATL Boy » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:54 am

What are your thoughts about John Jenkins, Im interested cause Im a Hawks fan and we drafted him
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,732

Re: Thoughts on John Jenkins 

Post#2 » by gswhoops » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:51 pm

He can shoot 3's really well. Not a whole lot else. A bit undersized for a SG.

I thought he was a reach at 23 but apparently he's playing well so far in Summer League. With Johnson out of the way, he might have a decent shot at starting/playing significant minutes.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#3 » by ManualRam » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:42 pm

there isnt much to say.
he's an excellent shooter, who can get his shot off in a variety of ways with accuracy.
his average size and athleticism is balanced out by his super quick release.
they got a teens scorer and starter at #23. great pick and not a reach.
Jimmy76
RealGM
And1: 8

Post#4 » by Jimmy76 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:46 pm

ManualRam wrote:there isnt much to say.
he's an excellent shooter, who can get his shot off in a variety of ways with accuracy.
his average size and athleticism is balanced out by his super quick release.
they got a teens scorer and starter at #23. great pick and not a reach.

+1
One thing i love about Jenkins is not only just an excellent spot shooter,but he is a great shooter with every type of shot(off the bounce,running off screens, etc...).
allenyang
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#5 » by allenyang » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:59 am

He has a JJ Redick type of game.
CBB_Fan
Senior
And1: 138

Post#6 » by CBB_Fan » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:41 pm

He is probably the best shooter in the draft, but only "average" at other sides of the game. I wouldn't say that his other skills are weaknesses, but he was drafted for his shooting ability. Overall, he is too much of a one-trick pony to go higher in the draft, which is why Beal (another slightly undersized SG) went #3 despite probably being slightly worse at shooting.

The best thing about his shot is that he has a lightning quick release. It allows him to shoot in various circumstances without losing much accuracy. Overall, he will likely have a long NBA career, as a solid roleplayer. The amount he plays will depend on how much of a defensive liability he is; if he is solid he's likely to get 20-30 minutes for a long time.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#7 » by ATL Boy » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:06 am

Thanks for the input guys
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#8 » by Ruzious » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:16 pm

allenyang wrote:He has a JJ Redick type of game.

More like Jody Meeks, imo. I think Redick is a bit more skilled and - if I may be so bold - even a bit more athletic.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#9 » by ManualRam » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:33 pm

Ruzious wrote:
allenyang wrote:He has a JJ Redick type of game.

More like Jody Meeks, imo. I think Redick is a bit more skilled and - if I may be so bold - even a bit more athletic.

he's a better shooter than meeks. teams can run plays for jenkins because of how good he is shooting on the move. jenkins is a smart player and decent passer so i think teams can design some floppy sets around him, like baseline screens turning into side PnR.
i do agree that redick has better ball skills and is slightly more athletic though.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#10 » by EMG518 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:20 am

Decent back up shooting guard. Has a really good shot but doesnt do anything else well enough to be a starter. If you have him just to hit open 3s off the bench you are in good shape because he can really shoot the ball
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#11 » by ManualRam » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:58 am

EMG518 wrote:Decent back up shooting guard. Has a really good shot but doesnt do anything else well enough to be a starter. If you have him just to hit open 3s off the bench you are in good shape because he can really shoot the ball

he's more than just a guy who can come in a space the floor.
teams can design sets around his shooting ability. he can draw extra attention from the defense because of his ability to shoot on the move.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,009

Post#12 » by mattg » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:22 am

Manram covered things mostly. Though I will say I'm surprised the hawks took Jenkins instead of Doron Lamb, who i think is a better version of Jenkins.
CBB_Fan
Senior
And1: 138

Post#13 » by CBB_Fan » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:24 am

mattg wrote:Manram covered things mostly. Though I will say I'm surprised the hawks took Jenkins instead of Doron Lamb, who i think is a better version of Jenkins.

I agree. I thought Doron Lamb would be the first rounder, Jenkins the second rounder. Lamb was the guy that scored 22 points in the national championship game (high for either team), and shot 47%. I think he is very slightly worse at shooting, but definitely more rounded. Neither are stars though, and I think both will likely be roleplayers (albiet, potentially very good ones).
teamjosh04
Senior
And1: 17

Post#14 » by teamjosh04 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:58 am

Im a bigger Lamb fan, but Jenkins is a better shooter in every way. Lamb isnt a guy that you run screens for all game to get open for 3. Lamb is more well rounded and a much better defender, but Jenkins shooting is elite.

Jenkins is a horrible defender, though. Smart teams can use him effectively
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,009

Post#15 » by mattg » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:24 am

teamjosh04 wrote:Im a bigger Lamb fan, but Jenkins is a better shooter in every way. Lamb isnt a guy that you run screens for all game to get open for 3. Lamb is more well rounded and a much better defender, but Jenkins shooting is elite.

Jenkins is a horrible defender, though. Smart teams can use him effectively

I think the difference in their shooting is negligible honestly. Lamb has shown the ability to work off screens very well himself. Anything you run for Jenkins you can run for lamb. He's a deadeye in spot ups as well. But in general, I like lamb's ability to cut and slash to the rim when defenders overplay his shot when chasing him around screens. I also don't think there's any question that lamb is better pulling up off the dribble(or using the dribble in general) than Jenkins.

I'm guessing atl just fell in love with Jenkins based on a small sample size where they probably saw him shoot the lights out, because lamb is a much better prospect pretty easily IMO.

Return to NBA Draft