Banned User
And1: 1

How Long Before Milledge Starts? 

Post#1 » by NYKnick87 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:01 pm

Let the countdown begin...
Remember the Past
Assistant Coach
Location: Screw Wes and LeDiva. Keep Lee. Trust Donnie. Give the Rookies a chance.

Post#2 » by Remember the Past » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:04 pm

6 weeks, Green is horrible in the feild and he doesn;t have the pop in teh bat anymore, I think Willie gives Green atleast 6 weeks to prove himself simply because he;s a veteran but Millede should get his spot NOW.
NYKnick87
Banned User

Post#3 » by NYKnick87 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:08 pm

Remember the Past wrote:6 weeks, Green is horrible in the feild and he doesn;t have the pop in teh bat anymore, I think Willie gives Green atleast 6 weeks to prove himself simply because he;s a veteran but Millede should get his spot NOW.

Exactly. Six weeks is way too much. I would give him about a month, and sooner if we're losing because of Green's lack of production.
gooGD
Rookie
And1: 0

Re: How Long Before Milledge Starts? 

Post#4 » by gooGD » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:16 pm

NYKnick87 wrote:Let the countdown begin...

ill say 3 months, and anyone who has read the mets thread in the knicks board knows why
d3si_met
Senior

Post#5 » by d3si_met » Mon Apr 2, 2007 4:34 pm

whenever the mets against LHP...
New York Knicks - New York Mets - New York Giants - Manchester United F.C.
Brownsville's Finest
Lead Assistant
And1: 12

Post#6 » by Brownsville's Finest » Mon Apr 2, 2007 6:59 pm

RoyaL_BalleR wrote:whenever the mets against LHP...
i hope ur right
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 10,411

Post#7 » by TMU » Mon Apr 2, 2007 9:43 pm

At the moment I'd like to see Endy on the field. Having Shawn Green makes Beltran work a lot harder and have a larger area for coverage.

Green is not a good fielder nor does he have an arm.
nycballer718
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by nycballer718 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 10:24 pm

maybe in 2 weeks
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,269

Post#9 » by Luv those Knicks » Tue Apr 3, 2007 6:54 am

Green is 2 for 4 and NY is only paying him like 3.8 million (the rest is being paid by his former club) - and the lefty/right thing - that's true too - I think we only expect green to play against Righty's.

It'll work out. I'm not worried.
Embiid wanted to win so badly, he deliberately injured Mitchell Robinson.

Classy.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,119

Post#10 » by blueNorange » Tue Apr 3, 2007 7:01 am

Luv those Knicks wrote:Green is 2 for 4 and NY is only paying him like 3.8 million (the rest is being paid by his former club) - and the lefty/right thing - that's true too - I think we only expect green to play against Righty's.

I think Willie is gonna keep Milledge up here and just platoon him with Green against lefties.

This Mets have 4 players who aren't spring chickens and the Mets need to keep them fresh. Thos 4 players are Moises Alou, Paul Lo Duca, Shawn Green, and Jose Valentin. And the Mets have players who are good enough to have 200+ bats each in Ramon Castro, Lastings Milledge, Endy Chavez(who'll get the most AB's), and Damien Easley.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Luv those Knicks » Tue Apr 3, 2007 7:05 am

blueNorange wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I think Willie is gonna keep Milledge up here and just platoon him with Green against lefties.

This Mets have 4 players who aren't spring chickens and the Mets need to keep them fresh. Thos 4 players are Moises Alou, Paul Lo Duca, Shawn Green, and Jose Valentin. And the Mets have players who are good enough to have 200+ bats each in Ramon Castro, Lastings Milledge, Endy Chavez(who'll get the most AB's), and Damien Easley.

The problem is the 25 man roster. When Pelfrey comes up, somebody needs to go down. Outside of injury - the most likely guy sent down would be Milledge.

So - with that in mind - cutting Green has some appeal - it opens up a spot for Milledge.

Classy.
majorleads
Banned User

Post#12 » by majorleads » Tue Apr 3, 2007 9:48 am

Luv those Knicks wrote:Green is 2 for 4 and NY is only paying him like 3.8 million (the rest is being paid by his former club) - and the lefty/right thing - that's true too - I think we only expect green to play against Righty's.

RF is a power position and Shawn Green is now reduced to being a singles hitter. And his fielding is atrocious. Playing him against righty's is waaaay too much, since the overwhelming majority of starters are right handers.

Milledge has too play now. Not only to help us in the sort term, but because he could be trade bait to get us a really good pitcher (if available) come July. Then we bring up Carlos Gomez after the allstar break.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Luv those Knicks » Tue Apr 3, 2007 4:52 pm

majorleads wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

RF is a power position and Shawn Green is now reduced to being a singles hitter. And his fielding is atrocious. Playing him against righty's is waaaay too much, since the overwhelming majority of starters are right handers.

Milledge has too play now. Not only to help us in the sort term, but because he could be trade bait to get us a really good pitcher (if available) come July. Then we bring up Carlos Gomez after the allstar break.

Sound argument - but we've got enough power right now. It's not a concern that our 8th hitter doesn't have much power.

All I want from Green is that he hits close to 300 for us

and then - maybe - we trade him to another club middle of the year to play Milledge more

or maybe we trade Milledge in a package for a big starting pitcher (if it turns out we need another starter) - and we use Green all year - later in the year, as a guy to platoon with Gomez.

My point is - Green might prove useful to this team - so - stop hating on him.

I remember one season - Yankee fans were "complaining" about their "back up catcher" - and the guy taking calls at WFAN said "you know - if other teams had the Yankee's problems - they'd be thrilled. "Back up Catcher" - that's their biggest worry? They're in great shape. (this was back when the Yanks had won back to back series or something like that - not the middle aged, over paid, steroid withdrawl, Yankees of today.

So - you're point is:
our right fielder doesn't have Power - so - we're screwed - right??? -

Wrong - we still have good D, and American League Offense and a bunch of stars - including 3 potential MVP candidates.

As long as Green produces for us - and - I'd like a 290-300 average with a few homers - that's not impossible - then that's fine. He's batting 8th. Who do you want for your 8th hitter - Alfonso Soriano? Pulos? Bonds?

Let the Yankee fans be the greedy ones needing a star at ever position. I say - let Green play. If he sucks - then you can call for him to be cut.

- now, if a month from now, he's hitting 200 or 220 - then I'd agree with you and I'd be happy to see him cut from this team.

Classy.
majorleads
Banned User

Post#14 » by majorleads » Tue Apr 3, 2007 6:15 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:

Sound argument - but we've got enough power right now. It's not a concern that our 8th hitter doesn't have much power.

All I want from Green is that he hits close to 300 for us

and then - maybe - we trade him to another club middle of the year to play Milledge more

or maybe we trade Milledge in a package for a big starting pitcher (if it turns out we need another starter) - and we use Green all year - later in the year, as a guy to platoon with Gomez.

My point is - Green might prove useful to this team - so - stop hating on him.

I remember one season - Yankee fans were "complaining" about their "back up catcher" - and the guy taking calls at WFAN said "you know - if other teams had the Yankee's problems - they'd be thrilled. "Back up Catcher" - that's their biggest worry? They're in great shape. (this was back when the Yanks had won back to back series or something like that - not the middle aged, over paid, steroid withdrawl, Yankees of today.

So - you're point is:
our right fielder doesn't have Power - so - we're screwed - right??? -

Wrong - we still have good D, and American League Offense and a bunch of stars - including 3 potential MVP candidates.

As long as Green produces for us - and - I'd like a 290-300 average with a few homers - that's not impossible - then that's fine. He's batting 8th. Who do you want for your 8th hitter - Alfonso Soriano? Pulos? Bonds?

Let the Yankee fans be the greedy ones needing a star at ever position. I say - let Green play. If he sucks - then you can call for him to be cut.

- now, if a month from now, he's hitting 200 or 220 - then I'd agree with you and I'd be happy to see him cut from this team.

Green bats 7th, not 8th and we're paying 4.3 million of his salary. And you know me by now, I want OUR YOUNG PLAYERS to play. I don't want stars at every position, unless they're products of our farm system. So I don't know where your analogy of Yankee fans complaining about their backup catcher comes in.

You're the one who would rather go with medicore veterans with no upside as opposed to giving our young players a shot. Hello??? Who wanted all the youngsters in the rotation? Me, not you.

And me wanting to get rid of Green is all about wanting to see Milledge play fulltime. He has waaaaaaaaay more upside and we need to see what he can do. Green serves no purpose, sh*tty fielder, slow, and reduced to a singles hitter.

Also, you're the only Mets fan on this planet who wants Shawn Green in the lineup. NOBODY wants to see him play.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,968

Post#15 » by Manhattan Project » Tue Apr 3, 2007 6:59 pm

As long as Shawn Green is hitting the ball I dont mind him in the lineup, but we would be foolish to say we dont want Milledge there. I doubt we will ever see Green get cut, he is a nice bat to have off the bench. He makes to much money for us to just cut him, I doubt any team would ever show interest.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Luv those Knicks » Tue Apr 3, 2007 9:19 pm

majorleads wrote:Green bats 7th, not 8th and we're paying 4.3 million of his salary. And you know me by now, I want OUR YOUNG PLAYERS to play. I don't want stars at every position, unless they're products of our farm system. So I don't know where your analogy of Yankee fans complaining about their backup catcher comes in.

You're the one who would rather go with medicore veterans with no upside as opposed to giving our young players a shot. Hello??? Who wanted all the youngsters in the rotation? Me, not you.

And me wanting to get rid of Green is all about wanting to see Milledge play fulltime. He has waaaaaaaaay more upside and we need to see what he can do. Green serves no purpose, sh*tty fielder, slow, and reduced to a singles hitter.

Also, you're the only Mets fan on this planet who wants Shawn Green in the lineup. NOBODY wants to see him play.

I thougth he it 8th - oops.

Valentin hits 8th then, I guess you're right.

but - we have a much better chance of trading Green if we play him

and I like Miledge too so - I'd be happy if Millege starts, but I understand the choice to let Green Start - if Green helps - then let him help.

and on Pelf over Chan ho - obviously - I like Pelf too - I was just predicting that Chan Ho would start the season and Pelf would end it.

Willie said it himself that he wanted to keep Pelfrey around 160 innings this year (he did about 130 last year) - now, maybe Pelfrey can hold up, 31-32 starts and playoffs, or maybe he'll get tired.

I still think Chan Ho would win some gaves for us, given the chance - so I'm not down on him like some are. :D

Classy.
krustytheclown
Lead Assistant
And1: 8

Post#17 » by krustytheclown » Thu Apr 5, 2007 5:01 am

if the chance comes along lastings will be dealt for a starting pitcher...the okland trio comes to mind. id much rather have fernando martinez or carlos gomez up next year

Return to New York Mets