Would you offer Perkins, Ibaka and Harden for Dwight Howard?

Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,081

Re: Would you offer Perkins, Ibaka and Harden for Dwight How 

Post#21 » by sonictecture » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:43 pm

Your not a doctor and you probably shouldn't play one on realgm. Presti isn't going to make a move for Howard without a thorough medical background check. Every case is different, Steve Nash continues to extend his career despite dealing with back issues for years.

Presti wouldn't make a trade for Howard without an approved medical and a signed extension and you know it.

With the first option of Brooklyn being taken away Howard will have to regroup and reevaluate his situation. Perhaps his recent injury will also make him reevaluate what is important to him going forward. OKC offers a near ideal playing environment for Howard.
BirdmanPresents
Analyst
And1: 799

Post#22 » by BirdmanPresents » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:31 pm

sonictecture wrote:Your not a doctor and you probably shouldn't play one on realgm. Presti isn't going to make a move for Howard without a thorough medical background check. Every case is different, Steve Nash continues to extend his career despite dealing with back issues for years.

Presti wouldn't make a trade for Howard without an approved medical and a signed extension and you know it.

With the first option of Brooklyn being taken away Howard will have to regroup and reevaluate his situation. Perhaps his recent injury will also make him reevaluate what is important to him going forward. OKC offers a near ideal playing environment for Howard.

Wiff makes a good point, and obviously Howard will be checked out thoroughly by the medical staff. Sometime even though these players pass the medical exams, they still have issues in the near future which would be a risk.

You said yourself, every situation is different so citing Nash's back issues as support (mind you a 6' PG whos game is based on skill, playmaking, and shooting) doesn't really support that Dwight Howard (a 7'0 monster who's game is based on athleticism) will be the same...
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#23 » by wiff » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:52 am

sonictecture wrote:Your not a doctor and you probably shouldn't play one on realgm.

Maybe you should heed your own advice.
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by sonictecture » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:53 am

BirdmanPresents wrote:
sonictecture wrote:Your not a doctor and you probably shouldn't play one on realgm. Presti isn't going to make a move for Howard without a thorough medical background check. Every case is different, Steve Nash continues to extend his career despite dealing with back issues for years.

Wiff makes a good point, and obviously Howard will be checked out thoroughly by the medical staff. Sometime even though these players pass the medical exams, they still have issues in the near future which would be a risk.

So even if the medical staff cleared him based on his current condition and future prognosis you would advise against the trade because of an unknown future health risk that every player in the league has the potential to be subject to?

You said yourself, every situation is different so citing Nash's back issues as support (mind you a 6' PG whos game is based on skill, playmaking, and shooting) doesn't really support that Dwight Howard (a 7'0 monster who's game is based on athleticism) will be the same...

I'll take the guy who is playing today with a back condition as an example over two guys in Bird and Barkley who played twenty years ago. Medicine has come a long way in the last twenty years as evidence by the number of players playing with knee injuries that ended the careers of Bird and Barkley's contemporaries.

Dwight Howard is only 26/27 years old. He isn't in his mid thirties coming off back surgery. A contract extension takes him to 30/31 years old. An age where even Bird and Barkley were still playing at a high level.
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#25 » by wiff » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:50 pm

sonictecture wrote:I'll take the guy who is playing today with a back condition as an example over two guys in Bird and Barkley who played twenty years ago. Medicine has come a long way in the last twenty years as evidence by the number of players playing with knee injuries that ended the careers of Bird and Barkley's contemporaries.

Um when did Tracy McGrady play last?

Like Birdman said. Nash's game is based on skill. Have you ever seen Nash go up and over anyone in the league? Nash is has a high BBIQ and he uses speed and angles. He is 100% a different athlete than D Howard.

Show me a single Dwight Howard highlight that has him using his brain and not his hops to get a bucket or to make a play and I will say you are 100% right tecture.

Otherwise (and you know this), you are simply talking out your ass.

Lastly I'm not going to give this thread much more of my time, simply because Howard isn't going to OKC. I said it over a year ago if the guy was all about winning a ring OKC would've be his best choice. In fact he already would have been here. He would have played in the finals this past season.

He's not about legacy's though he's about himself and that's about it.
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by sonictecture » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:52 pm

Your statement is that Howard is a long term injury risk and doesn't want to play in OKC.

My statement is that Howard's medical condition should be judged by medical experts. My statement is that Howard would only be acquired if he agreed to an extension. This is based on Presti's decision making history.

Only one of us has a history of talking out of their ass.

As a hypothetical, If doctors clear Howard and he agrees to sign an extension, then you trade Harden, Ibaka and Perkins for Howard in my opinion. No number one draft picks given, no taking on bad contracts, just talent for talent.

if Howard isn't cleared and or isn't willing to sign an extension then you don't make the trade.
miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Post#27 » by miltk » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:35 pm

omg. the team just went to the finals. you don't blow them up, you tweak them. ibaka/harden/perkins works, howard is an unknown quantity. also in his delusional state, dwight wants to be the first option. nevermind he can't hit his ft's, but no way as he will be #3.
Bravenewworld
Lead Assistant
And1: 934

Post#28 » by Bravenewworld » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:02 am

miltk wrote:omg. the team just went to the finals. you don't blow them up, you tweak them. ibaka/harden/perkins works, howard is an unknown quantity. also in his delusional state, dwight wants to be the first option. nevermind he can't hit his ft's, but no way as he will be #3.

Thats not really blowing up the roster though. Everything given up there would be supplemented with Howard. Perkins is pretty much a situation center and is only really needed against big time low post guys, Howard can do that. Ibaka is a blocking defensive machine, Howard is better then that. And Harden is really an energy guy to give us points. Howard would do that.
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#29 » by SF_Warriors » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:31 pm

Howard/Durant/ Westbrook = Multiple championships

OKC's main weakness seems to be a lack of frontcourt offense, which Howard would provide, among other things. Neither Perkins or Ibaka are reliable offensive players. Collison is great, but is also not a reliable scorer.
Harden's offensive production would come from Howard, and finding an offensive two guard at a great deal in this league is much easier than finding a quality, cheap big man.

Examples of "reliable" scoring frontcourt guys non all stars:
Nene 13.7 points 28.5 minutes per game
Brook Lopez
Paul Millsap
Nikola Pekovic 14 points on 56% shooting 27 minutes per game

Lol yes I know 3 out of 4 players their teams did not make the playoffs. I also understand there is a defensive trade off for more offense. I am just pointing out that OKC would be fortunate if Ibaka could give them 15 points a game or Perkins gave them 11 each night, which they will not.
miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Post#30 » by miltk » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:35 pm

if howard was kareem, yes
Vampire Diaries
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#31 » by Vampire Diaries » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:08 am

sfballa13 wrote:Extension or no extension

Harden+Perkins+Jones+Aldrich+Draft pick plus taking a nasty contract back

Westbrook+Thabo+Durant+Ibaka+Dwight

w/Maynor + Turkyglue off the bench

that team beats Miami and any other team in the nba

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
OlDirtMcBert
Senior
And1: 157

Post#32 » by OlDirtMcBert » Thu Nov 1, 2012 2:12 am

OlDirtMcBert wrote:He11 no. They might consider Westbrook and Perkins, but that would be based on opening enough future capspace for Harden and Ibaka while maintaining the ability to compete for a championship next season. Perkins only has value if the Lakers keep Bynum and Gasol, which I doubt they do. Westbrook's game hinges on his athleticism so much I can't help but think he and his max contract are the most ideal trade chip for the Thunder. When RW is 30, I doubt he's anywhere near the player he is now, and nowhere near as good as say Tony Parker because his IQ isn't very good. Harden could maintain his current ability until he's 35. Ibaka is the guy I think Presti makes a move with.

Damnit Presti...
Emperor_Earth
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#33 » by Emperor_Earth » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:44 pm

Emperor_Earth wrote:http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7urrvsb
(Basically add Thabeet and JRich to the deals respectively)

As a Lakers fan I'm ideally pushing for a Bynum/D12 swap.
But as a fantasy GM in my spare time, I don't see how either team would pass this trade up.

Conventional wisdom goes that you: "never trade big for small/always trade small for big" and "the team that gets the best player wins the trade"

But ORL knows they have very little leverage thus must necessarily not get equal value for D12. They have to lose in any trade, if only slightly.

OKC cannot hope to retain Harden + Ibaka after their rookie contracts expire so must necessarily lose one of the two after next year. (If Eric Gordon is getting the max after playing like 6 games last season, a team will offer Harden the max. Likewise if Hilbert gets the max, Ibaka is getting near max offers. There's always a chance some idiot GM offers him the max too. Seriously, $10mill for Asik?!? And I thought HOU had a smart F.O.) For OKC, having D12 is better than having only one of either Harden or Ibaka while simultaneously dumping Perkin's albatross contract for a floor-spacer at SG.

A lineup of Westbrook-JRich-Thabo/PJII-Durant-Howard has serious staying power in the NBA with the top four players in that lineup three years from now all still locked up for at least another year (Westbrook, PJ3, Durant, Howard) With two deadeye shooters, a post presence, slashes, PNR players all in the starting lineup, there's definitely a chance for some good chemistry with Brooks manning the joint for the entire duration.

For D12, he has no mammoth legacy of Shaq/Wilt/Hakeem to live up to. Instead, he gets to join a rebranded franchise where he can be the first, and without Ibaka/Perkins, the only real big man. With OKC holding his birdrights and offering 20+ million more than any other team, the opportunity to create the most athletic starting 5 the NBA has ever seen (seriously, Westbrook, PJ3, Durant, D12?!) he'll be in the perfect place to adapt to the changing guard in the NBA to the stretch 4 and more small ball... with a frontcourt partner who still stands 6'10" and has traditional 4 height.

He will have no problem with teammate issues either. Westbrook is a hothead but while spectacular is not on KD3/D12's level of superstardom so he knows his place. KD3 is about the best superstar teammate you could ask for to share the spotlight. A 1/5 or 4/5 PNR with Westbrook/Durant would simply be unstoppable. The former would feature the two fastest/quickest/most athletic players at their positions respectively and the latter would pair what would be the two best players at their positions in a PNR. (Oh, and KD3 is the league's 3rd best shooter [Nash, RayRay] and D12 is the league's 3rd best finisher at the rim [LBJ, Griffin] so...) Really, I can't tell which combo is more devastating but that pales in comparison to the potential activity on defense. DPOY multiple times? Wait till he has an athletic team in front of him. With D12 down low, Sefo/KD3/Russ/PJ3 could go ballistic gambling on steals.

And for the Magic, having Harden + Ibaka's bird rights while getting a serviceable post defender as they rebuild is superior to any package the Rockets can offer.

So for ORL, their viewpoint is simple: LAL for the best player, OKC for the best future talent/balance, HOU for the best valued contracts (rookies) + most salary dumps, BRK for no reason at all.

-------------------------------------

As a Lakers/Knicks fan, I would adopt OKC as my temporary third team if this deal went down. What true basketball fan could resist? This has the makings of a dynasty.

I wonder what OKC fans disposition to my tradecrafting several months ago now that Harden is gone.

Would you rather have D12 + Haywood + Aldrich + Cook or Ibaka + KMart + Lamb + two 1sts + a 2nd?
Amat victoria curam.
hollasin35
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#34 » by hollasin35 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:29 am

Ibaka & kmart package......haywood, aldrich, cook wouldn't be doing much. After Howard that deal is a waste, at least with ibaka deal have players & pieces to play with
MellowRose
Banned User
And1: 1,551

Post#35 » by MellowRose » Sat Dec 8, 2012 12:53 pm

What about Westbrook for Howard? As a Magic fan, I'd have loved to have Westbrook.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder