Legalities of Highlight Mixes

m1kenoff
Bench Warmer
And1: 482

Post#1 » by m1kenoff » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:53 am

Is it legal to profit off NBA Footage such as creating highlight mixes and posting them on your youtube channel?

Is there not a certain length from each game that you are allowed to reproduce?

Been trying to find this out for a while.
License2Lillard
Bench Warmer
And1: 62

Post#2 » by License2Lillard » Mon Aug 6, 2012 7:42 pm

Did you film it with your own camera? If not then technically it's illegal, but rarely pursued. All broadcasts have disclaimers stating that said broadcasts are not to be used without expressed written consent of the NBA.
number15 wrote:If Tracy McGrady makes it to the HOF, then so should DeMar Derozan :-?
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Re: Legalities of Highlight Mixes 

Post#3 » by d-train » Mon Aug 6, 2012 10:39 pm

Does it matter if you used your own camera if you were inside an NBA stadium by license granted from purchase of a ticket?
Ephus
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#4 » by Ephus » Tue Aug 7, 2012 1:37 am

If you filmed it, you hold the copyright and can exploit it how you wish. On the other hand, if you want to use recorded music in the background of your mix, you need a license.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#5 » by d-train » Tue Aug 7, 2012 6:23 am

Ephus wrote:If you filmed it, you hold the copyright and can exploit it how you wish. On the other hand, if you want to use recorded music in the background of your mix, you need a license.

I never fully read my ticket holder agreement but it said something about forbidding the recording of any images and asserted that all images captured were property of the NBA.

How do you obtain an image at a game without stealing it?
m1kenoff
Bench Warmer
And1: 482

Post#6 » by m1kenoff » Tue Aug 7, 2012 11:57 pm

Wow. Some responses finally :). Thanks guys.

Some follow up questions:

If I paid for League Pass and recorded it as a "screen capture"...

Does that count as me recording it or does the camera work have to be done by me?

Isn't there a rule that states you can use up to 2 minutes per game of footage for reporting?

I also been continuing to do my own research and found this:

Although users are encouraged to upload NBA video to YouTube, the NBA still has the option of removing material. The NBA will use YouTube's "Claim Your Content" screening system to identify and report videos that infringe on the NBA's copyrights. Instead of requesting that videos be taken down, however, the NBA will have the option of taking a cut of any advertising revenue generated by the clips.
http://arstechnica.com/uncategorized/2007/02/8930/
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,153

Post#7 » by chakdaddy » Sat Feb 9, 2013 10:08 pm

d-train wrote:
Ephus wrote:If you filmed it, you hold the copyright and can exploit it how you wish. On the other hand, if you want to use recorded music in the background of your mix, you need a license.

I never fully read my ticket holder agreement but it said something about forbidding the recording of any images and asserted that all images captured were property of the NBA.

How do you obtain an image at a game without stealing it?

Remember it and draw it at home later? (Omitting all copyrighted logos and team names?)

Return to CBA & Business