ImageImageImageImageImage

OFFICIAL: Dwight A Laker NOT a Net WHeee!!!

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

ezmoney707
General Manager
And1: 2,701

Re: OFFICIAL: Dwight A Laker NOT a Net WHeee!!! 

Post#941 » by ezmoney707 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:30 pm

Knicks_Fan2 wrote:Josh Robbins ‏@JoshuaBRobbins

Rob Hennigan on the #Houston #Rockets: "The offer sheets, I think, limited some avenues to make deals."

Nice hey at least we might screwed them over with waiting out on the Lin decision 8-)
Bravery
Assistant Coach
And1: 8

Post#942 » by Bravery » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:35 pm

knicksnyk wrote:Honestly. The Lakers did good. I am laughing at people who are fronting like the lakers are old

Kobe is passing the torch to D12 for another era of Laker basketball. Win or lose, they'll always be a threat and can retool if necessary. Especially in the Pacific.. cakewalk now that PHX is going in a different direction. LAC is a good team, but with Chris Paul's final year in his contract, it could be a serious distraction if things go sour early. LAL finished 3rd in their conference last year too. Adding Dwight + Nash and some depth will show this season.

People are laughing now, but they're in for a rude awakening.
knicksnyk
Sixth Man
And1: 42

Post#943 » by knicksnyk » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:35 pm

ezmoney707 wrote:

Rob Hennigan on the #Houston #Rockets: "The offer sheets, I think, limited some avenues to make deals."

Nice hey at least we might screwed them over with waiting out on the Lin decision 8-)

knowing our luck they will probably end up getting the last laugh
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,005

Post#944 » by Pharmcat » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:36 pm

i think overall this deal is a net + for NY....philly was a PO team regardless, but one PO team has fallen out of contention now, just another team out of the way for NY in ORL

as far as the deal....its obvious the ORL GM took a page out of the OKC book to straight up tank and be bad as possible
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#945 » by Greenie » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:38 pm

You tellin' me they picked Lin and Asik over Howard?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-)
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,768

Post#946 » by Stannis » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:40 pm

Howard chances of winning over the years would have been better with the Nets. Winning now, defiantly with the Lakers.

To be fair about comparing this deal and the Melo deal, the Melo deal included signing an extension.
Free Palestine
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#947 » by Rasho Brezec » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:40 pm

rammagen
Head Coach
And1: 778

Post#948 » by rammagen » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:49 pm

well the Lakers are an older team swapping Bynum for howard though is a no brainer. Philly got better with a center but the question what did Denver do here. Adding another wing player when they have chandler and gallo there so the question where do they play him?
Quote from ESPN’s Bill Simmons posted on Twitter “28 FT’s to 5. I don’t watch rigged NBA games, I’m switching to hockey”
knicksnyk
Sixth Man

Post#949 » by knicksnyk » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:55 pm

greenhughes wrote:

You tellin' me they picked Lin and Asik over Howard?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-)

But that makes no sense. He is Insinuating that those deals took away from Houston's ability to give them cap relief in a deal. Which is dumb, since (1) the rockets still could (2) they got virtually no cap relief in the deal they made anyway
rammagen
Head Coach
And1: 778

Post#950 » by rammagen » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:57 pm

the issue was the swapping of salary maybe why would Orlando want to pay Asik that much?
Quote from ESPN’s Bill Simmons posted on Twitter “28 FT’s to 5. I don’t watch rigged NBA games, I’m switching to hockey”
knicksnyk
Sixth Man

Post#951 » by knicksnyk » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:01 pm

rammagen wrote:the issue was the swapping of salary maybe why would Orlando want to pay Asik that much?

it is clear that the magics catered to howards wishes. for houston to even be a possibility there offer would have had to have been heads and shoulders above everybody's elses ie taking back a ton of crappy contracts and giving up a lot of young players and picks.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,075

Post#952 » by moocow007 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:06 pm

knicksnyk wrote:
rammagen wrote:the issue was the swapping of salary maybe why would Orlando want to pay Asik that much?

it is clear that the magics catered to howards wishes. for houston to even be a possibility there offer would have had to have been heads and shoulders above everybody's elses ie taking back a ton of crappy contracts and giving up a lot of young players and picks.

Could be but then why not trade him to the Nets then? Its clear that Brooklyn was his preferred destination and the rumored Net package was better. So unless the Net preference was hooey or the Nets really were trying to short change the Magic (cant see that happening at all...at all) still doesnt make sense.
knicksnyk
Sixth Man

Post#953 » by knicksnyk » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:06 pm

Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI
Deron Williams: "Mentally, I wasn’t in the Dwight sweepstakes anymore. It got kind of old."

someone is butthurt
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,440

Post#954 » by cgmw » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:09 pm

KnickelandDime wrote:I haven't been reading this thread but I will say this: what more proof do you need that organizations win championships not players? Behind every dynasty is a terrific G.M., a series of well played moves, and a coach who gets all the talent to fit together. Half the reason I hated the Melo trade was that it reeked of Dolan stepping over Walsh and in doing so ruining our chance of building that brain trust that we so desperately need.

My reaction too.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
red32
Sixth Man
And1: 303

Post#955 » by red32 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:26 pm

Marty McFly wrote:
knicksnyk wrote:Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI
Quote from Kobe, when asked if DH will re-sign: "The team is his. I'm excited for the Laker franchise...(cont)

Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI
..."they have a player that can carry the franchise well after I'm gone. It should be his. He should be willing to accept that challenge."

http://www.tmz.com/2012/08/10/dwight-ho ... o-smiling/

Nice Bentley!
Red Vines
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Post#956 » by Red Vines » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:28 pm

Lakers struck it rich by doing something you can't do anymore: drafting high school kids. First Kobe, then Bynum.
red32
Sixth Man
And1: 303

Post#957 » by red32 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:29 pm

ezmoney707 wrote:

I'm not sure who got screwed here...
Futureisnow
Head Coach
And1: 1,272

Post#958 » by Futureisnow » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:47 pm

Red Vines wrote:Lakers struck it rich by doing something you can't do anymore: drafting high school kids. First Kobe, then Bynum.

Lakers didn't draft Kobe, but I see your point.
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,555

Post#959 » by ctorres » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:52 pm

Lakers are set up to win championships now well after Kobe retires. I expect them to sign Kevin Love in the summer of 2015 to play alongside Dwight Howard. Sixers and Nuggets got Andrew Bynum and Andre Iguodala. Big whoop, both teams just set themselves up to not win a championship possibly in the next decade with a move like this so to an extent, I consider this to be a bad move for the Sixers and Nuggets regardless of the talent they received. If the ultimate goal for a franchise is to win a championship, why help a superpower to even more powerful?
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#960 » by Rasho Brezec » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:54 pm

Futureisnow wrote:
Red Vines wrote:Lakers struck it rich by doing something you can't do anymore: drafting high school kids. First Kobe, then Bynum.

Lakers didn't draft Kobe, but I see your point.

They drafted him the same way we drafted Toney Douglas.

Return to New York Knicks