ImageImageImageImageImage

OFFICIAL: Dwight A Laker NOT a Net WHeee!!!

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

eathb_au
Analyst
And1: 1,115

Re: OFFICIAL: Dwight A Laker NOT a Net WHeee!!! 

Post#1001 » by eathb_au » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:59 am

StutterStep wrote:I like the Lakers but this is sickening!

What is wrong with the NBA and all these (few) super teams?

LeBron James
Knicks_Fan2
RealGM
And1: 4,648

Post#1002 » by Knicks_Fan2 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:07 am

I'm just surprised at the outrage at the lakers getting Howard. Where exactly did you think Howard was going?
Sky_Knicks
Banned User
And1: 419

Post#1003 » by Sky_Knicks » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:42 am

Nets fail again :lol: Mediocre bastards.
DRoberstonNYY
Banned User
And1: 18

Post#1004 » by DRoberstonNYY » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:15 am

StutterStep wrote:I like the Lakers but this is sickening!

What is wrong with the NBA and all these (few) super teams?

i dont ge tthe issue. we "tried" to do the same thing.

except our "super team" is lead by a guy who punches fire extinguishers while theres is lead by a guy who has like 6 rings
NYK_UNLV
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#1005 » by NYK_UNLV » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:26 am

Blame it on small market teams with horrendous management. The Cavs and Magic surrounded their stars with overpriced, mediocre players and then got stuck when it wouldn't work out. Besides OKC and SA, the small market teams generally have pi$$ poor front offices. If you have a well operated franchise, you can compete with the LA's of the world in attracting talent. Kupchak is a prime example of smart management. The Lakers did NOT panic at the time the CP3 deal fell apart, and managed to get upgrade to Dwight for practically no cost. Look at other teams that make panic moves: ie Cleveland, Orlando, Milwaukee, Sacramento, etc... This is why I thought the owners perspective in the lockout was foolish.
Gil
Starter
And1: 1,283

Post#1006 » by Gil » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:50 am

People really think the Lakers aren't winning a 'chip this year?

They have no weakness for god's sake.
Falstaffxx
Banned User
And1: 165

Post#1007 » by Falstaffxx » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Shpati21 wrote:I still do not get why they took Harrington's an Aaron's contract if they want to rebuild.

IMO, to make the deal work because it really was the deal they wanted. They got 3 guys who were first rounders within the past year, plus 3 more first rounders and Afflalo. Beats the Paul/Carmelo/Williams packages imo.
Knicks_Fan2
RealGM

Post#1008 » by Knicks_Fan2 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:21 pm

Falstaffxx wrote:
Shpati21 wrote:I still do not get why they took Harrington's an Aaron's contract if they want to rebuild.

IMO, to make the deal work because it really was the deal they wanted. They got 3 guys who were first rounders within the past year, plus 3 more first rounders and Afflalo. Beats the Paul/Carmelo/Williams packages imo.

You can say first rounders all you want but none were lotto picks and I think all three packages, especially the Paul and Williams packages were better. Paul yielded Eric Gordon, the 10th pick in the draft, and al farouq who could suck but is a lotto pick. Deron netted what looks to be a stud in favors, the third pick in last years draft and the gs lotto pick that will likely come this year.
Falstaffxx
Banned User

Post#1009 » by Falstaffxx » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:25 pm

Knicks_Fan2 wrote:
Falstaffxx wrote:

You can say first rounders all you want but none were lotto picks and I think all three packages, especially the Paul and Williams packages were better. Paul yielded Eric Gordon, the 10th pick in the draft, and al farouq who could suck but is a lotto pick. Deron netted what looks to be a stud in favors, the third pick in last years draft and the gs lotto pick that will likely come this year.

I guess you're right about Williams.

I'd prefer the Howard package to the Paul package though. Vucevic was the 16th pick and has already shown himself to be a good prospect. Harkless was just picked 15th. Not lottery but not bad picks. That's only 2 of the 6 picks/prospects they get. Afflalo isn't quite on Gordon's level I guess, but he is good and he's highly valued.

And imo, the Howard package is much better than the Anthony package.
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,539

Post#1010 » by cgmw » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:27 pm

Knicks_Fan2 wrote:
Falstaffxx wrote:

The difference is Utah reacted to the market and reacted early. Orlando reacted to the player's demands (not the market) and acted late, but not late enough to drive up the price.

I don't think there's any doubt Orlando got less than they would have gotten either:

1) Before last season; or
2) At this season's deadline.

Their problem wasn't lousy negotiating. Their problem was letting their own delusions drive the price down. The closest analogy isn't Deron Williams, Chris Paul or Carmelo. The closest analogy is LeBron. Cleveland stuck with LeBron to the very end and got nothing in return. Orlando stuck with Dwight longer than either ownership or the fanbase could bear, and they got a lousy deal in return.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see them (like Cleveland) land a #1 overall pick in the next three years. Unlike Cleveland, they can actually draw Free Agents in the state of Florida once they have room in 2014. Orlando will be back.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
Falstaffxx
Banned User

Post#1011 » by Falstaffxx » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:30 pm

By the way, Orlando could have had Bynum + other players if they wanted instead of the 8 picks/prospects + Afflalo. Bynum is the best player included in any of these recent blockbuster trades. They chose the picks etc instead. That should tell you this was the deal they wanted.
Knicks_Fan2
RealGM

Post#1012 » by Knicks_Fan2 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:32 pm

Falstaffxx wrote:By the way, Orlando could have had Bynum + other players if they wanted instead of the 8 picks/prospects + Afflalo. Bynum is the best player included in any of these recent blockbuster trades. They chose the picks etc instead. That should tell you this was the deal they wanted.

Completely agree that they wanted this deal over Bynum but I think people are bummed and presumed Orlando could've gotten a better package of picks young players and cap relief for houston and, if not, should've waited till the deadline as this trade was going nowhere.
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,539

Post#1013 » by cgmw » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:36 pm

Falstaffxx wrote:By the way, Orlando could have had Bynum + other players if they wanted instead of the 8 picks/prospects + Afflalo. Bynum is the best player included in any of these recent blockbuster trades. They chose the picks etc instead. That should tell you this was the deal they wanted.

That's fine, but if they had just traded him in 2011 they could have had the Derek Favors/Nets package. By letting the player dictate his own movement, Orlando sacrificed both timing and leverage. Their management lacked judgement, sure. But more than that they lacked decisiveness and a set of stones.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,916

Post#1014 » by god shammgod » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:37 pm

they didn't take bynum because they didn't want to risk him leaving.

Return to New York Knicks