ImageImageImageImageImage

The "CCJ was right again (except about Sessions)" thread

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

The "CCJ was right again (except about Sessions)" thread 

Post#1 » by dangermouse » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:58 am

Crowder with 20 points against Houston, 18 in the 4th!!!

Machado was another guy he was big upping too right? He looked decent with Lin out, like a good backup PG.

Ted when are you going to fire Grunfeld's boys and hire our main man? He's right every year! Not even kidding.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Re: The "CCJ was right again" thread 

Post#2 » by dandridge 10 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:02 pm

dangermouse wrote:Crowder with 20 points against Houston, 18 in the 4th!!!

Machado was another guy he was big upping too right? He looked decent with Lin out, like a good backup PG.

Ted when are you going to fire Grunfeld's boys and hire our main man? He's right every year! Not even kidding.

There were several other people who also supported picking Crowder and Machado, so I really don't get this thread. Besides, its frickin' preseason and an extremely small sample size. Why don't we wait to see how things pan out before we declare someone right or wrong.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,150

Post#3 » by Zonkerbl » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:04 pm

All the moneyball guys were pushing Crowder. ccj's not a moneyball guy, he's a scout.

When ccj and the moneyball guys agree, you should draft the guy. Not sure why Crowder lasted so long. Lots of market imperfections in the basketball draft, that's for sure.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#4 » by payitforward » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:08 pm

dandridge 10 wrote:
dangermouse wrote:Crowder with 20 points against Houston, 18 in the 4th!!!

There were several other people who also supported picking Crowder and Machado, so I really don't get this thread. Besides, its frickin' preseason and an extremely small sample size. Why don't we wait to see how things pan out before we declare someone right or wrong.

What? Don't be ridiculous -- things might change by then! As one of the "other people" who pointed to Crowder and Machado, I can't afford to wait!

Leaving aside right and wrong among us, there's little chance of Crowder being anything but a success in the league. His college career wasn't a "small sample", and you can click off just about everything needed to predict a winner. It's NBA GMs who can't seem to get the message.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,598

Post#5 » by pancakes3 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:50 pm

CCJ may have brought his name up, but I personally remember Crowder to be Nivek's draft crush. His YODA score was off the charts.
Bullets -> Wizards
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#6 » by dandridge 10 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:51 pm

I also believed that Crowder should have been our pick. However, I still think its too early to say he will be a success. Yes, he was good in college. However, there are tons of college players who played well in college but not so well in the NBA. So far, he has had a good start. Let's see where he ends up.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#7 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:07 pm

pancakes3 wrote:CCJ may have brought his name up, but I personally remember Crowder to be Nivek's draft crush. His YODA score was off the charts.

+1

Nivek convinced me he was a top-5, top-10 worthy pick. I had no idea how good Jae Crowder was until after Nivek started hyping him.

The things I posted before the draft were just how overwhelming the case was for Crowder becoming a great NBA player. Steals and assists to turnovers were off the chart. Three point percentage and volume of threes were great. Rebounding was extraordinarily good for a guy his size. Crowder's numbers compared more favorably than other recent, successful, Marquette pros Wes Matthews and Jimmy Butler.

doclinkin was also hyping Crowder before I was.

The only thing I can probably take credit for is predicting Crowder's lack of height would make him get drafted way too low. You can see NBA GMs lack of wisdom a mile away on guys with Crowder's body type. Ernie Grunfeld wouldn't have been sharp enough to draft Crowder 60th if he had that pick. He would have sold the pick like he did with DeJuan Blair available.

Ernie won't let a tall, European player slip, however.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#8 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:19 pm

dandridge 10 wrote:I also believed that Crowder should have been our pick. However, I still think its too early to say he will be a success. Yes, he was good in college. However, there are tons of college players who played well in college but not so well in the NBA. So far, he has had a good start. Let's see where he ends up.

No, it isn't IMO, dandridge. It is only a matter of time before Crowder starts. He will likely be Marion's replacement.

I told you guys Faried would replace Nene. I remember saying before a draft that Blair would be a better starter than Blatche. Said Millsap was better than Jamison, even when Jamison was a good starter. Said Millsap would be a good scorer and a decent defender in the pros, not just a rebounder. Some things you can project before the draft.

I think part of why I've been so cranky for years is it drives me nuts to think of how much money Grunfeld gets paid to be so bad at what he does. He's kept his job a long, long time and this owner loves him.

The good news is I really do enjoy scouting. I love to see other teams like Houston, with Darryl Morey, consistently pick well. The Bucks and the Warriors have drafted very well, recently. They seem to understand things well beyond EG/Ted's grasp when it comes to scouting. The Spurs don't even have good picks. They along with the Celtics consistently find better players than the Wizards.

I'm ranting now, sorry. I cannot take credit for Crowder but I think it's not too early to say he's going to be a very good pro.
Bye bye Beal.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#9 » by closg00 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:53 am

Taken from the D-League thread

closg00 wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Blake Ahern should get a shot somewhere.

How about Gerald Green making a return to the NBA?

http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2012/2/ ... k-d-league

Green also someone who should be given another shot, the key is to waive Mason and start trying these guys out.

Green now locked-up by the Pacers. How you like him now?
http://www.nba.com/games/20121020/MEMIN ... GIboxscore
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#10 » by Knighthonor » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:09 am

Ok CCJ who you suggest the wizard's pick in this upcoming lotto?
RealGM

Post#11 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:25 am

Guys I like from last year's NCAA play: Cody Zeller, Tony Mitchell, C. J. McCollum, Andre Roberson, Michael Snaer, Mike Moser, Aaron Craft, and even though draft sites hate him, Doug McDermott. He and Jack Cooley are very effective but might not be athletic enough to star at the next level.

Players I have yet to see who should be good right away: Shabazz Muhammed, James McAdoo (his numbers will go up a lot), Alex Len (Maryland will be better and he might bolt, but I hope not).

Knighthonor, I will know a lot more around January. I already know McCollum is probably the most underrated G prospect. Zeller is going to be a beast in the NBA.
Bye bye Beal.
FreeBalling
Starter
And1: 218

Post#12 » by FreeBalling » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:00 am

CCJ you have a man crush. LOL.

I've always enjoyed reading your posts. You have keen vision at selecting future NBA players who produce. I will give you that respect. I like to play GM myself at times. However, I will say I FAILED as a GM with Gilbet....

Cheers....

(EDIT)

Hey CCJ do you think Gilbert failed because of his improper rehabilitation or he was just a flash in the pan. The man could put the rock in the hole like Kobe. He was like Kobe for a year.
FINAL UPDATE
With full military honors, Master Sgt. James W Holt was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery today. May 15
You Are Not Forgotten
RIP Master Sergent Holt :usa:

The ultimate sacrifice http://taskforceomegainc.org/H061.html
RealGM

Post#13 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:31 am

I think Gil came back too soon. Initially, EG and EJ showed very little wisdom in rushing Arenas back from micro fracture surgery. There had been others like Zach Randolph and Jason Kidd who had the surgery but who were eased into their team's lineups very slowly. I recall posting that the Wizards need to be treating Gilbert like a baseball pitcher on a pitch count, but they are not. EJ played Gilbert an average of something like 40 minutes the five games he played to begin the season.

It was obvious Gil was struggling, but what was really stupid was the coach kept playing him and the GM didn't overrule. I liked EJ a lot but that was the worst thing he did as Wizard coach. That the Wizard's medical staff didn't shut Gil down just speaks to their complicity in what ended up being the end of Arenas' effectiveness as a player.

Freeballing, the Wizards trotted Gilbert back out that playoffs, after he missed 70 or so games, and he was once again TERRIBLE. Gilbert was clearly no longer the same player. And what happened next? Arenas opted out of his contract and was rewarded with the huge deal that IMO killed this franchise. He could have been off the books then and there. I recall saying let Arenas and Jamison walk. You guys know the rest, but things could have been totally different had the Wizards not committed salary and years to an injured Gilbert. They could have blown this team up years ago.

Ernie was wrong then and he kept his job. Eddie was fired. Arenas was left on the books but the Wizards went from playoff team to 19-win team in one season. :( Years later, Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza are still part of the debt to be paid, when the Wizards could have just bought Lewis out.

Freeballing, I think Gil pushed himself too hard too soon. I think a terrible medical staff, a poor owner, and a coach who didn't know any better all allowed the guy to ruin himself. Ultimately, Gil should have taken it easy.
Bye bye Beal.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#14 » by Nivek » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:54 am

FreeBalling wrote:Hey CCJ do you think Gilbert failed because of his improper rehabilitation or he was just a flash in the pan. The man could put the rock in the hole like Kobe. He was like Kobe for a year.

More like 3 years. For a three-year period, Arenas was one of the best offensive weapons in the game. High-usage and high efficiency.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
closg00
RealGM

Post#15 » by closg00 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:31 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I think Gil came back too soon. Initially, EG and EJ showed very little wisdom in rushing Arenas back from micro fracture surgery. There had been others like Zach Randolph and Jason Kidd who had the surgery but who were eased into their team's lineups very slowly. I recall posting that the Wizards need to be treating Gilbert like a baseball pitcher on a pitch count, but they are not. EJ played Gilbert an average of something like 40 minutes the five games he played to begin the season.

It was obvious Gil was struggling, but what was really stupid was the coach kept playing him and the GM didn't overrule. I liked EJ a lot but that was the worst thing he did as Wizard coach. That the Wizard's medical staff didn't shut Gil down just speaks to their complicity in what ended up being the end of Arenas' effectiveness as a player.

Freeballing, the Wizards trotted Gilbert back out that playoffs, after he missed 70 or so games, and he was once again TERRIBLE. Gilbert was clearly no longer the same player. And what happened next? Arenas opted out of his contract and was rewarded with the huge deal that IMO killed this franchise. He could have been off the books then and there. I recall saying let Arenas and Jamison walk. You guys know the rest, but things could have been totally different had the Wizards not committed salary and years to an injured Gilbert. They could have blown this team up years ago.

Ernie was wrong then and he kept his job. Eddie was fired. Arenas was left on the books but the Wizards went from playoff team to 19-win team in one season. :( Years later, Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza are still part of the debt to be paid, when the Wizards could have just bought Lewis out.

Freeballing, I think Gil pushed himself too hard too soon. I think a terrible medical staff, a poor owner, and a coach who didn't know any better all allowed the guy to ruin himself. Ultimately, Gil should have taken it easy.

The horror. You just brought-back one of the darkest memories for me as a Wizards fan - Gilbert playing 40 minutes a night coming back from knee surgery and Ernie Grunfeld watching it and allowing it all.
RealGM

Post#16 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:08 am

The worst part is John Hollinger and others had posted articles like this one as far back as 2006, warning of the dangers of coming back too fast from microfracture surgery.

http://www.nysun.com/sports/microfractu ... tim/43730/

Microfracture Claims Another NBA Victim

By JOHN HOLLINGER | November 17, 2006

If there's good news here, it's that teams are at least getting smart about not pushing convalescing microfracture patients to return to the court. Four months is the minimum recovery time for this surgery, but in practice it's usually been much longer.

When he said teams are getting smart Hollinger obviously was not referring to the Wizards. They should never criticize guys like Blatche, McGee, and Young because the blunders made by EG, the medical staff, and previous coaches have been epic. Not smart at all is how I would characterize the Wizards management.
Bye bye Beal.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#17 » by Knighthonor » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:19 am

But really what can the Wizards do now? Even other bad teams like the cavs and Cats are still doing bad. This can't be coincidence.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#18 » by Ruzious » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:39 am

closg00 wrote:The horror. You just brought-back one of the darkest memories for me as a Wizards fan - Gilbert playing 40 minutes a night coming back from knee surgery and Ernie Grunfeld watching it and allowing it all.

Fwiw, that hits on m;aybe my biggest criticism of the EJ/EG era - short-sightedness. It wasn't just Gilbert; when Butler and Jamison were dinged up or coming back from injury, they too would typically play 40 minutes a game. When Stevenson was very solid, he was pushed past the limit while playing with swollen knees. There was no "forward" thinking with that management. (Jamison is pretty much a medical miracle that he survived and has been so durable.) San Antonio does the opposite - making sure their veteran stars are rested adequately throughout the season, because they're always looking ahead.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#19 » by payitforward » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:10 pm

Topic drift....

Lets get back to praising each other for our draft smarts!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
closg00
RealGM

Post#20 » by closg00 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:41 pm

It's all-good PIF, nothing wrong with recounting these buried and painful memories. When you recount this stuff, Ernie's contract renewal is even more stunning. From a business standpoint it appears as-though Ted can't see the forest for the trees. The Wizards have never paid lux-tax, but look at every other area of how his organization is managed. Horiffic!!

Return to Washington Wizards