Garf
Sophomore
And1: 1

Trading while under the cap 

Post#1 » by Garf » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:52 pm

Team A sends Player X to Team B.
Team B sends Player Y to Team A.
Both are under the cap after the trade.

1. Am I correct to assume nobody cares whether salaries match?
2. Instead of trading one for another, can each be traded on his own, creating a trade exception equal to his salary?
3. (subjective) How useful would the latter be?

Big thanks in advance!
Join my CBA-simulating fantasy game here
Three34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 123

Re: Trading while under the cap 

Post#2 » by Three34 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:48 pm

1) Yep
2) A trade exception is a salary cap exception. Salary cap exceptions are for teams over the cap, hence the team. Thus, trade exceptions do not apply here.
Garf
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#3 » by Garf » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:25 pm

Cheers!
Join my CBA-simulating fantasy game here
Gilles
Rookie
And1: 70

Post#4 » by Gilles » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:30 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think a team may keep the trade exception but it counts against the cap, so in theory this can be used when a team doesn't use cap space to sign "other teams' FAs" but only uses Bird rights to extend their own players, gets over the cap and then still has this trade exception along with conventional exceptions for teams over the cap. One important thing though is that they must acquire trade exception in previous season: say, they got it before July, 1st and get over the cap after July, 1st.
DBoys
Starter
And1: 220

Post#5 » by DBoys » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:48 am

Gilles wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but I think a team may keep the trade exception but ....

When a team ends a trade with their official Team Salary under the cap, then no trade exception is generated at any point within the trade, and therefore there is nothing to keep afterwards.
Gilles
Rookie
And1: 70

Post#6 » by Gilles » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:23 am

I just had understanding that exception is always generated but under the cap teams simply waived it since if cap space is bigger than exception, it's obviously more valuable. So I was wrong, wasn't?
DBoys
Starter
And1: 220

Post#7 » by DBoys » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:56 am

Gilles wrote:I just had understanding that exception is always generated but under the cap teams simply waived it since if cap space is bigger than exception, it's obviously more valuable. So I was wrong, wasn't?

Yes your understanding was incorrect.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,003

Post#8 » by shrink » Fri Nov 9, 2012 1:01 am

Gilles wrote:I just had understanding that exception is always generated but under the cap teams simply waived it since if cap space is bigger than exception, it's obviously more valuable. So I was wrong, wasn't?

I think I might understand your point of confusion. TPE's are only generated by teams who end their deal over the cap, but that team may not stay over the cap when the new season begins. That's when you hear about teams waiving their TPEs because their cap holds cut into the team's available cap space.

It may be easier to explain with an example:

Suppose UTA trade Al Jefferson ($15 mil expiring) to CLE for Luke Walton ($6 mil expiring). Since UTA is over the cap, this generates a $9 mil TPE, which would be good until 11/8/2013.

Flash forward to July 2013. UTA only has $25 mil in guaranteed 2013 payroll, and with roster cap holds their team salary approaches $28. However, that TPE still has a $9 mil cap hold, so their available space under the cap is $58 - $37 = $21 mil. These are the situations where you may have heard of teams "waiving their TPEs." In this example, if UTA waived it's TPE, it would mean they had the full cap space of $58-$28 = $30 mil.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
bravemmohome
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#9 » by bravemmohome » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:48 am

Body feels not good,
then go to the hospital for examination, the doctor asked X-rayed, X-ray, MD wrote diagnosis, and then I took the diagnosis and film to the doctor. Surprisingly, the doctors took X-ray diagnosis began shaking his head, his mouth Gee, I was immediately pumped wow cool, want to ask the doctor left how long results that doctors say is: "Oh, now young doctors, the handwriting is really bad. "

Return to CBA & Business