ImageImageImage

Players that you thought would be......

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

Heats_Finest
Banned User
And1: 33

Players that you thought would be...... 

Post#1 » by Heats_Finest » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:09 am

Let's talk about past Miami players that you thought might be amazing. Now I've been a diehard HEAT fan since about 2008, I was a HEAT fan since 2004, or when Dwyane Wade was on the cover of NBA live, but never REALLY followed NBA until I moved schools which was in 2008, and I got hooked on basketball like I am now.

But who are players of the HEAT, young or old, that you thought would turn into an out and out star, or just a pretty good role player that never performed?

I'm just looking through some of Miami's rosters pre season, and I wanted to see what happened with Dorrell Wright, and I've looked at his bio and have seen that in the summer league the year he was drafted, he busted out with a 30 and 5 game. I also remember when I did a little reading back then that a lot of people thought that with Wade he was going to turn into a really nice player. Since then he has, but when he was with Miami he didn't really amount to anything.

Is there any past HEAT players that you thought looked a million bucks, but turned into a dime? Easy answer looks like Beasley, but try and go beyond that.
FlashKing
Banned User
And1: 26

Re: Players that you thought would be...... 

Post#2 » by FlashKing » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:53 pm

I was really excited when we drafted Tim James from the U. He was a spectacular player in college. He had a game similar to Kevin Durant. Thought for sure he was gonna be all-star caliber but injuries and zero playing time pretty much axed that belief.

This is the only video I could find on youtube:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78Zz7Zp7u74[/youtube]
ricochet
Banned User
And1: 18

Post#3 » by ricochet » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:30 pm

FlashKing wrote:I was really excited when we drafted Tim James from the U. He was a spectacular player in college. He had a game similar to Kevin Durant. Thought for sure he was gonna be all-star caliber but injuries and zero playing time pretty much axed that belief.

This is the only video I could find on youtube:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78Zz7Zp7u74[/youtube]

Damn.. :o

that's exactly what popped up in my mind too
Dpreston
Ballboy
And1: 24

Post#4 » by Dpreston » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:30 pm

Harold Miner - by far the biggest disapointement in Heat history. Probably more due to unrealistic expectations early than anything, as he never really showed us more than the ability to win dunk contests. But man, what a blast that first year was.

Steve Smith - drafted #5 and thought to have the potential to have Magic-type game...big and lanky with great court vision. Showed flashes of brilliance but too inconsistant and injury prone, and a streaky outside shooter. Loved watching him play and an all around great guy and leader, but just never got there in his time in MIami.

Eddie Jones - more or less put up his career averages during his time here, so was not a dissapointment in that respect, but probably the most anti-clutch player in Heat history. You could always count on Eddie to clank his FT's in any close game in the 4Q.

Supercool Beas.
Slot Machine
Head Coach
And1: 4,542

Post#5 » by Slot Machine » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:18 pm

Beasley is a pretty obvious one.

I thought Marion would be a great complement here.
The Bunk wrote:God I hate this fraudulent clown.

I've never wanted to punch someone in the face so badly. Really hoping to run into him at a game one day. I won't hesitate.
This IsMy House
General Manager
And1: 190

Post#6 » by This IsMy House » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:08 am

Michael Beasley. :evil:
I Stand With The []_[]!
MiaFLSurf
RealGM
And1: 2,551

Post#7 » by MiaFLSurf » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:11 am

Eddie Jones - the king of choke artists.
GameTime_3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,051

Post#8 » by GameTime_3 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:37 am

Eddie Jones...Everyone thought he would be a star. The dude was the least clutch player I've ever seen play.

Brian Grant....I still have GRANT in my top 5 HEAT players of all time. But when we signed him, I thought we found ourselves a 22-10 player and that wasn't the case.

Ricky Davis...When we traded for him everyone thought the 20 point average would translate..It didn't.
This IsMy House
General Manager
And1: 190

Post#9 » by This IsMy House » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:15 am

[quote="GameTime_3"]Eddie Jones...Everyone thought he would be a star. The dude was the least clutch player I've ever seen play.

Brian Grant....I still have GRANT in my top 5 HEAT players of all time. But when we signed him, I thought we found ourselves a 22-10 player and that wasn't the case.

Ricky Davis...When we traded for him everyone thought the 20 point average would translate..It didn't.[/quote]

Wow I forgot about that scrub, what a let down.
I Stand With The []_[]!
Heats_Finest
Banned User

Post#10 » by Heats_Finest » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:52 am

Chalm Down Bro wrote:Beasley is a pretty obvious one.

Marion still was pretty good here, I remember always looking at the box score and seeing him have 14, 16, 13 rebounds and it seemed pretty consistent.
shanedude
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,694

Post#11 » by shanedude » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:10 am

Beasley broke my heart. I rooted for him so hard.
Tyler Gang or Die
GameTime_3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,051

Post#12 » by GameTime_3 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:29 am

shanedude wrote:Beasley broke my heart. I rooted for him so hard.

I'm still a Beasley fan...I got a few items signed by Beas and I won't get rid of them because I feel the guy will turn the corner...hahahahahahaha
Heats_Finest
Banned User

Post#13 » by Heats_Finest » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:31 am

GameTime_3 wrote:
shanedude wrote:Beasley broke my heart. I rooted for him so hard.

I'm still a Beasley fan...I got a few items signed by Beas and I won't get rid of them because I feel the guy will turn the corner...hahahahahahaha

Time to drop the blunt man. Haha just kidding, but I think he's just about done. Rumours are that he's about to lose his starting spot in Phoenix, if he goes back into that sixth man role, it's over for him. Was hoping for a OJ Mayo type revival when he signed for Phoenix, but he just doesn't know what defense or smart shots are.
Pimpwerx
Banned User
And1: 78

Post#14 » by Pimpwerx » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:16 am

Eddie Jones. Brought here to be a franchise-defining player, and ended up being quite a disappointment.

Jamal Mashburn. See Eddie Jones.

Harold Minor. The nickname "Baby Jordan" disappeared completely from the league since this bum was drafted. I don't think anyone here called him that for more than a month. PEACE.
AAAAA1
Banned User
And1: 12

Post#15 » by AAAAA1 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:39 am

Skip to my lou
Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM
And1: 8,078

Post#16 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:21 pm

The thing about Eddie Jones and Brian Grant, it was known we overpayed for them... they were supposed to be the missing pieces to finish off the Zo/Hardaway core and finally get us over the hump.

The problem was, Zo went down to a kidney illness, forcing Eddie to be the #1 option (something he was never cut out to be) and Grant to be a center (something he only got away with because of how much the center position was declining). And Tim's knees finally gave out, also putting the burden of shot creating and last shot duties on Eddie's shoulders, another thing he was never cut out for.

I think, had Zo stayed healthy, and Tim stayed serviceable, Eddie Jones and Brian Grant wouldn't be looked at as let-downs or failures by you guys, although we did overpay regardless. Its just, the overpay would have been worth it if they could have been allowed to play like what they were meant to be, final pieces to the puzzle, and not leading men.

I still think Brian Grant performed as well as we could have hoped, I never saw 22/10 from him, just a better P.J. Brown, which is what he was. Though I do think even with the added pressure, Eddie was fairly unimpressive in his time here.
HeatFanSince87
Assistant Coach
And1: 758

Post#17 » by HeatFanSince87 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:58 pm

Dpreston wrote:Harold Miner - by far the biggest disapointement in Heat history. Probably more due to unrealistic expectations early than anything, as he never really showed us more than the ability to win dunk contests. But man, what a blast that first year was.

Steve Smith - drafted #5 and thought to have the potential to have Magic-type game...big and lanky with great court vision. Showed flashes of brilliance but too inconsistant and injury prone, and a streaky outside shooter. Loved watching him play and an all around great guy and leader, but just never got there in his time in MIami.

Eddie Jones - more or less put up his career averages during his time here, so was not a dissapointment in that respect, but probably the most anti-clutch player in Heat history. You could always count on Eddie to clank his FT's in any close game in the 4Q.

Supercool Beas.

Nailed it...Willie Burton as well, but these 3 for sure. Steve "Tricky" Smith was my favorite player... I wanted to punch myself in the balls when we traded him and Grant Long for washed up Kevin Willis.
Slot Machine
Head Coach
And1: 4,542

Post#18 » by Slot Machine » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:20 pm

Heats_Finest wrote:
Chalm Down Bro wrote:Beasley is a pretty obvious one.

Marion still was pretty good here, I remember always looking at the box score and seeing him have 14, 16, 13 rebounds and it seemed pretty consistent.

Well, looking back on his stats, they're definitely better than how I remember he played here but still, he wasn't the same Marion we saw in Phoenix and he looked to be declining pretty quickly. Plus, I underestimated the effect playing with Nash had on him and he looked a lot worse here. I really thought he only had a few years left in the league after his stint with us which is why I was so surprised with how well he played in the 2011 Finals(unfortunately for us).
The Bunk wrote:God I hate this fraudulent clown.

I've never wanted to punch someone in the face so badly. Really hoping to run into him at a game one day. I won't hesitate.
GreenHat
Assistant Coach
And1: 340

Post#19 » by GreenHat » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:22 pm

Mashburn.

He was a college star and was 4th in what was thought to be a loaded draft. He was better before he got here and better after. He was also horrible in the playoffs.
Your emotions fuel the narratives that you create. You see what you want to see. You believe what you want to believe. You ascribe meaning when it is not there. You create significance when it is not present.
Altered_Beast
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,634

Post#20 » by Altered_Beast » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:28 am

obviously beasley.
i think dude still wants to play for miami

"A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."

Return to Miami Heat