Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,460

Ryan Madson and Angels agree to deal 

Post#1 » by dockingsched » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:07 am

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/ ... rit=645109

By Lance Pugmire

November 27, 2012, 6:55 p.m.

The Angels have moved to address a weakness that contributed to their falling short of the playoffs, reaching an agreement with former Philadelphia Phillies closer Ryan Madson.

Madson, 32, will earn a base salary and could make more in incentives, according to two people familiar with the negotiations. They said the deal is contingent on Madson passing a physical examination, with the results available Wednesday.

Madson is a 6-foot-6 right-hander who throws hard and has an excellent changeup. But he is less than eight months removed from Tommy John surgery.

Madson had 32 saves for the Phillies in 2011, signed as a free agent with the Cincinnati Reds, but was injured during training camp. His surgery was performed in April by Lewis Yocum, the Angels' team physician.

Madson, who attended Valley View High in Moreno Valley, has been throwing on flat ground and is expected to resume throwing off a mound in late December or early January. The Angels are hoping Madson will be ready to pitch by spring training. If completely healthy, he could be in line to assume closing duties from Ernesto Frieri, who walked 26 batters in 541/3 innings last season and had three of the team's 22 blown saves.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,804

Re: Ryan Madson and Angels agree to deal 

Post#2 » by TyCobb » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:03 am

Hopefully he passes his physical. Would be a nice one-year addition.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by dockingsched » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:08 am

it sounds like all went well in today's scheduled physical, tomorrow it'll be official

Alden Gonzalez @Alden_Gonzalez

#Angels will announce the Madson signing tomorrow, I'm told.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#4 » by TyCobb » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:57 am

I've been reading the Angels being linked to Dempster and Mike Adams. I would welcome both of those guys.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by dockingsched » Sat Dec 1, 2012 1:55 am

yeah, any of those would be nice. sentimental attachment to what haren once was is getting at me though.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#6 » by TyCobb » Sat Dec 1, 2012 2:00 am

The more 'smaller' names the Angels sign, the more money left over for Haren. I'd love to have the guy back as well.

Return to Los Angeles Angels