Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

blazinskillz
Junior
And1: 20

Re: Wall out 8 weeks with injury to patella 

Post#381 » by blazinskillz » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:04 am

Upper Decker wrote:
Nivek wrote:
Upper Decker wrote:Anyone know what the QO is for wall next year?

It's $9.7 million.

The real number matters is the cap hold, and the hold on Wall will be the 0-6 years of experience maximum salary. Under the current salary cap, that's about $13.6 million.

Thanks, Nivek. I know this really hasn't happened before, but how risky is it for Wall to reject a lucrative long term deal and just sign the QO so he can become an UFA in 1.5 years?

I doubt the Wiz offer a 5 year max. In fact, I actually see them botching negotiations with Wall and ticking him off in the process. How likely is it that he'll bolt after next year and the Wiz get nothing in return?

I dont think they're that stupid. Aint nobody coming to play in Washington and the Wizards already has a bad relation with how they treat their own player(Gilbert under the bus, Blatche)
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#382 » by Knighthonor » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:30 am

montestewart wrote:
Nivek wrote:
Upper Decker wrote:Anyone know what the QO is for wall next year?

It's $9.7 million.

The real number matters is the cap hold, and the hold on Wall will be the 0-6 years of experience maximum salary. Under the current salary cap, that's about $13.6 million.

I used to laugh at the idea that someone could carve out a place in an NBA organization as a "capologist," but I'm starting to think that the Wizards organization, among its many issues, doesn't know how to plan for contingencies related to the salary cap. How else to explain a winning plan (and that's certainly what they pass it off as) that added Nene, Okafor, and Ariza, with contracts expiring just in time to resign Wall and Seraphin, leaving little room to do much else?

Well most people on this forum thought the trade was good remember.
Wizards are just not good. Especially with Wall out.

Nothing stands out about the Wizards.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man

Post#383 » by Knighthonor » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:31 am

Wow Wall out for a whole season.

What did he do to damage his knee this badly?
Knighthonor
Sixth Man

YAY:John Wall To Have Left Knee Examined Friday 

Post#384 » by Knighthonor » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:45 am

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/22 ... ned_Friday

Finally Progression in a good way!!! YAY YAY YAY
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Re: YAY:John Wall To Have Left Knee Examined Friday 

Post#385 » by nate33 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:09 am

Knighthonor wrote:http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/224982/John_Wall_To_Have_Left_Knee_Examined_Friday

Finally Progression in a good way!!! YAY YAY YAY

Progression?

If anything, it's a setback. I don't want to hear about another exam. I want to hear about him being cleared for practice.

I give a 25% chance that he is told that he needs season-ending surgery.
TheBigThree
Starter
And1: 124

Post#386 » by TheBigThree » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:27 am

It's pretty obvious he's going to be shutdown sooner or later. We'd have known something by know if there was any positive progress being made.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,035

Post#387 » by queridiculo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:28 am

Anybody that thinks this is good news hasn't been following the Wizards long enough.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#388 » by dangermouse » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:32 am

Yep, another examination is a setback. Just came here to post that.

This should have happened a couple of weeks ago when Wall still wasn't ready to practise. I wonder what the results will be: "We re-examined John's knee to find the damage was more severe than we initially thought. We have decided the best course of action will be season ending surgery." This org is just a joke from top to bottom. There is literally nothing to like about anyone on our team who wears a suit when they are working.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,701

Post#389 » by montestewart » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:53 am

Knighthonor wrote:
montestewart wrote:I used to laugh at the idea that someone could carve out a place in an NBA organization as a "capologist," but I'm starting to think that the Wizards organization, among its many issues, doesn't know how to plan for contingencies related to the salary cap. How else to explain a winning plan (and that's certainly what they pass it off as) that added Nene, Okafor, and Ariza, with contracts expiring just in time to resign Wall and Seraphin, leaving little room to do much else?

Well most people on this forum thought the trade was good remember.
Wizards are just not good. Especially with Wall out.

Nothing stands out about the Wizards.

Well, there's this:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:From the first few pages of the original Okariza Trade thread:

This is a HORRIBLE trade unless we're getting the #10 pick.

Okafor is redundant with Nene and Seraphin. We simply don't need him. Ariza is a decent wing but not any better than what we can find in free agency. Only with this trade, we obliterate any potential cap room in 2013. I just don't understand it.

Did we get #10?

Without it, this is just EG getting fleeced as usual.

LOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Did we get the bottle of lube at least? Please?

Inexplicable trade

Agreed. Horrible trade. Nene was one thing, risky, but maybe would pay off. Now he's done it to the entire roster. Trading one over the hill expiring for two more years of salary which could well be over the hill by the end. Crazy. I'm glad I decided not to renew my tickets.

This is a horrible, short-sighted move. At this point, I am wondering why Grunfeld still has a freakin' job. He has pissed away a ton of cap money on Nene, Okafor, and Ariza. This is a effin travesty.

I blame Ted. If he had fired Ernie properly, this trade wouldnt of happened

Hey, that extension that EG got wasn't bad, right? I mean, sure, he kinda sorta built a terrible, capped-out team that was (and still is) an NBA bottom-feeder but hey, he kinda sorta cleaned up his mess and built a bottom-feeding team with a dash of potential.

So giving him that extension was a good move, right? Because, hey, a guy with a track record of poor moves probably won't make another one. Right? RIGHT?

Kill me

That's a lot of cap room taken up, and we still haven't improved a lick offensively.

There are the veterans Ted was talking about.

Waiting for the other shoe to drop, we help NO clear-up cap with Shard's expiring contract and WE give-up a pick??? There's got to be something else happening on draft-night for us.

Im pissed if we don't get the number 10 pick if this trade. We blow our cap for a chance to be a treadmill playoff team for the next two seasons. I rather lose and stock pile picks like OKC did.

Scary stat - Okafor averaged less than a block a game in 28.9 minutes a game this season, and he's going to turn 30 before next season starts. And he's one of the highest paid players in the game. Ummm.

Who is going to score next year?

Some who chimed in then either do not post much or stopped all together. If so many people knew the deal was bad why didn't EG?

and then there's this:
Illuminaire wrote:Just for fun, I went through the first 25 pages of the OkaRiza trade thread and noted down the first impressions of everyone who posted (Unless I knew they were from another board, or had less than 100 posts). Here is where we all stood on that fateful day...

FOR OkaRiza
  • LyricalRico
  • Rafael122
  • dandrews
  • Halcyon
  • GUYANNAGRIZZLI
  • Ironpanthr
  • AWIZZINGBULLET
  • DCZards
  • Floater
  • SUPERBALLMAN
  • VictorPage44
  • BruceO
  • queridiculo**
  • dlts20
  • zardsfan

AGAINST OkaRiza
    Montestewart
    KevinFCheng
    nate33
    WallTown02
    TGW
    Severn Hoos
    Ruzious
    colts18
    sashae
    Jay81
    keynote
    nuposse04
    miller31time
    closg00
    TheKingOfVa360
    Dat2U
    Captain_Obvious
    Nivek
    mohammed10
    JonathanJoseph
    barelyawake
    Wizards2Lottery
    Benjammin
    MJG
    dobrojim
    tontoz
    WizarDynasty
    truwizfan4evr
    fishercob
    Upper Decker
    jimij
    MikeTheKid
    Wizardspride
    Illuminaire
    FAH1223
    MF23
    Chocolate City Jordanaire
    7-Day Dray
    Benjammin
    hands11***
    The Consiglieri
    willbcocks
    go'stags

ON THE FENCE
    Higga
    Wizstorm
    W. Unseld
    MDStar
    dandridge 10
    kirubel94
    penbeast0
    Jimmy Recard
    WashWiz54

Who The Heck Knows???
    80sballboy
    Saqs
    jivelikenice
    GhostsOfGil
    McGully Culkin
    AFM
    verbal8

**Flipped back and forth a few times, but argued for the trade more often than against.
***Hands was actually against the trade as of page24. Not sure when he started in on the Koolaid flavored jello-shots.

In summary, 58.66% of posters were clearly against the trade, 20.00% were [s]bat-crazy[/s] for the trade, and 21.33% were in denial. :wink:

Regarding those that thought it was a good trade or were on the fence, ask yourself: 1) Would they have pulled the trigger on that trade, or were they just trying to see the bright side of a done deal? 2) Are they paid a huge salary to make the Wizards better?

Most of us saw a bad moon rising. Where were you?

PS: If you're talking about the Nene trade, I still think the division was about 50/50: too much salary for too long for an aging veteran, but Nene looks pretty good when he's on the court (even hobbled), and he might not be hard to move if he's not injured. They should have stopped there.
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#390 » by Illuminaire » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:06 am

Good to see Knighthonor is still building Strawmen even after we picked up all the hay and set the friggin' things on fire.

-.-
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#391 » by Halcyon » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:53 am

I was one of the people who thought (at the time) it was an ok deal. Not an easy win like the Kwame-Caron trade was, but definitely average. Looking back, I was desperately grasping at straws, thinking Wall might actually make the leap, and thinking we might actually compete this year. I was hoping Ernie had stumbled onto another Kirk Hinrich situation, by building some value and trading it away for picks. Same with the Nene deal. Pretty sure this is what the front office thought as well, and they definitely didn't anticipate sucking this badly.

Obviously I look extremely stupid right now, but those are deals in a vacuum looked ok at the time. However, reality doesn't operate that way, things don't happen in a vacuum. To be truthful, If I had my choice, the whole "rebuild" process would be done differently, without trades like those for veterans. I'd look to heavily invest in the necessary resources to gain an edge over the competition, like scouting, better treatment of players, heavy statistical analysis of players in the league and in college, and so on.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,112

Post#392 » by AFM » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:33 am

It's all right, Hal. Ernie is a tricky one able to fool even the craftiest of men. How do you think he still has a job?
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#393 » by dangermouse » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:02 am

I remember hating the trade because we didnt get the #10 as well.

Then of course, rage turned into acceptance and i drank the EG kool-aid thinking a Nene/Oka front court would be a force to be reckoned with.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
bgroban
Junior
And1: 48

Post#394 » by bgroban » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:29 pm

Anything to help the tank... again.

[sounds like a broken record]
sashae
Bench Warmer
And1: 94

Post#395 » by sashae » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:19 pm

Are we taking odds/a poll on what the results of Wall's re-exam are?

1. Hey, he's ready to practice! Knee's in great shape!
2. John's knee is healing well, but will require another 2-3 weeks of rest before he starts practice. We anticipate his return before the All Star break.
3. After further evaluation, John's knee is not healing properly and will require season-ending microfracture surgery. We anticipate his full recovery prior to the start of next season. The team has decided to extend his contract at the 5-year max as a gesture of good faith.
4. The injury is so severe we're putting him down like Barbaro.
ernie grunfeld: the perpetual dumpster fire of general management
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#396 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:27 pm

sashae wrote:Are we taking odds/a poll on what the results of Wall's re-exam are?

1. Hey, he's ready to practice! Knee's in great shape!
2. John's knee is healing well, but will require another 2-3 weeks of rest before he starts practice. We anticipate his return before the All Star break.
3. After further evaluation, John's knee is not healing properly and will require season-ending microfracture surgery. We anticipate his full recovery prior to the start of next season. The team has decided to extend his contract at the 5-year max as a gesture of good faith.
4. The injury is so severe we're putting him down like Barbaro.

What else but worse case happens with this team?
Bye bye Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#397 » by nate33 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:47 pm

Either #2 or #3. In other words, 2-3.
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#398 » by Halcyon » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:48 pm

Definitely #2 first, then the next time something like this comes up after the 2-3 weeks....#3.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,701

Post#399 » by montestewart » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:18 pm

nate33 wrote:Either #2 or #3. In other words, 2-3.

Agreed, and then they'll probably try #4, hoping to void the contract.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,604

Post#400 » by pancakes3 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:31 pm

expect 2-3 iterations of option 2, which is essentially option 3.
Bullets -> Wizards

Return to Washington Wizards