ImageImageImageImageImage

The Amazingly Suck Theodore Leonsis Thread

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Re: The Ultra Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leonsis Thread 

Post#641 » by payitforward » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:35 pm

Ted posted another dumb "...don't know how to win close games" entry. I commented as follows:

Oh, Ted… you know perfectly well that there is no such thing as “knowing how to win close games.” Better teams win more games; worse teams win fewer games. We are a terrible team.

What makes a team good? In the NBA, it’s pretty simple: better players make better teams. The reason we’re better when Nene is on the floor is that he’s such a good player.

The reason we’re bad overall is that overall we have a roster of really bad players. How could there be any other reason, Ted? Do you really want to blame it all on John Wall’s injury? Has John Wall led us to lots of wins in the past? When did he show he was a “franchise player?” I must have missed that.

Why do we have a roster of really bad players? Well, as you’ve pointed out, you’ve turned over the entire roster. You and Ernie chose this entire roster. So, Ernie is the reason we have bad players, and to the degree that you enabled him you too are the reason.

Nene is terrific, but he seems to be a 20-25 minute player who’s under contract for the next 4 years at $13 million a year. Do you really think you made a good trade for him? Better than simply using the cap room you’d have had by letting JaVale go?

Have Okafor and Ariza (before he got hurt) accomplished what you expected when you traded for them — a trade you bragged about (!) on this blog? More than you’d have gotten by buying out Rashard Lewis and acquiring lets say Brand rather than Okafor and some other SF on the FA market?

Did Price show anything to make you think he was a good signing? That it made sense to pluck him out of the air as he was falling out of the NBA because of his 3 years of bad play?

Did you have a successful 2011 draft, Ted? You really think so?

When do you step up, take responsibility for the disastrous mess you’ve made, and make the moves you need to make? When?

You’re in a hole. Please stop digging.

And puh-lease stop asking for “patience.” We’re heading in the wrong direction, Ted. The longer we’re “patient,” the farther from our goals we’ll be when you finally have no choice but to fire Ernie.

Admitting error is a strength, not a weakness. It’s the first step towards “winning the close ones.”

What do you think, will his gatekeepers let it through? Will they even let him see it? :)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#642 » by hands11 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:43 pm

Halcyon wrote:Everyday I check this site, hoping that Ernie has been fired. He's the last clown GM left in town (with Jim Bowden and Vinny Cerrato ousted long ago). Ted is holding back the area from becoming a dynasty town, with the Nats becoming legit championship contenders, and the Skins on the way there.

Ted is losing generations of fans right now, with no end in sight.

From a marketing perspective, it looks like that train is already leaving the station. Its called RG3

I wrote about this some years ago when the Skins sucked and the Nats hadn't shown up yet. The city was ripe for the taking. It was a matter of who stopped screwing up first. Looks like it was The Dan. He brought in Shanny and got ride of Vinny 3 years ago. Now you see the fruit of that decision. Going all in for RG3 and getting Cousins as the back up is looking brilliant. So is finding Alfred in the later rounds.

The Wiz need to try to win now. Like you said, you have the Skins, The Nats and the Caps already who are sucking all the air out of the room.

They need a bold move like getting Phil as VP. That would be your MJ move only Phil actually knows how to get it done already as a front office person. He has the name and the experience.

Ted said he wasn't afraid to spend when spending made sense. Well, now is the time. Getting Phil involved would add instant cred to the team and he is the ultimate when it comes to motivating players. Phil is the ultimate player development person. He develops their minds. Skill, production, and winning follow.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#643 » by LyricalRico » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:16 pm

hands11 wrote:They need a bold move like getting Phil as VP. That would be your MJ move only Phil actually knows how to get it done already as a front office person. He has the name and the experience.

Ted said he wasn't afraid to spend when spending made sense. Well, now is the time. Getting Phil involved would add instant cred to the team and he is the ultimate when it comes to motivating players. Phil is the ultimate player development person. He develops their minds. Skill, production, and winning follow.

From all the reports of what Phil wanted to be the coach of the Lakers, I'd expect him to demand a minority ownership stake (in addition, of course, to a huge salary). Not sure Ted gives that up. He already tried that with MJ and it didn't work.
hands11
Banned User

Post#644 » by hands11 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:28 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
hands11 wrote:They need a bold move like getting Phil as VP. That would be your MJ move only Phil actually knows how to get it done already as a front office person. He has the name and the experience.

From all the reports of what Phil wanted to be the coach of the Lakers, I'd expect him to demand a minority ownership stake (in addition, of course, to a huge salary). Not sure Ted gives that up. He already tried that with MJ and it didn't work.

That was Abe.

It actually makes decent sense if you think about it. Ted has both the Caps and the Wiz to worry about. He could use some help. He could let Phil focus more on the Wizards and he could focus more on the Caps. And if it work, he has a better team and he makes more money. He can focus on the marketing and let Phil focus on building the franchise. Its actually a good fit and it would be a brilliant marketing move. Phil is the name and smart this franchise needs. He would help pull in the bigger fish. Phil is a winner.

The MJ plan was actually not a complete failure. MJ made Abe a ton on money and he did clean house of bad contracts. It was just that Abe then screwed MJ. Phil would give you all the name that MJ did only he already has the front office experience.

Brilliant if he can pull it off. This is the kind of move the Ted needs to make to jump start this team from its losing ways.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#645 » by LyricalRico » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:35 pm

^ Yes, Abe was the majority owner at the time, but wasn't Ted the one who brought MJ in? IIRC Ted had already bought the Caps from Abe and he was trying to build the Wizards brand in preparation for taking them over upon Abe's death.

But either way, my point was that Phil wouldn't want to be viewed as doing the same thing MJ did with the same team. Maybe he'd do it somewhere else, but not in DC IMO.
hands11
Banned User

Post#646 » by hands11 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:40 pm

LyricalRico wrote:^ Yes, Abe was the majority owner at the time, but wasn't Ted the one who brought MJ in? IIRC Ted had already bought the Caps from Abe and he was trying to build the Wizards brand in preparation for taking them over upon Abe's death.

But either way, my point was that Phil wouldn't want to be viewed as doing the same thing MJ did with the same team. Maybe he'd do it somewhere else, but not in DC IMO.

I think you are right that it was Ted, which makes it potentially more probable that he would be interested in doing this. Obviously he thinks that way since he did it once before. What I don't know is to what degree Ted was involved in kicking MJ to the curb. If that was more Abe then him, then maybe he would try it again. A lot would depend on how clean Teds hands are regarding the MJ thing.

If he was able to land MJ. Maybe he has the skills to land Phil. I know it is a long shot but it is the hot topic at hand.

There are some similarities between where the franchise was then and now only I think they are in a better situation now then they were then. The have picks and better assets.

EG would get moved into more of a contract guy ala George Allen. Phil would direct the franchise. Phil would be great for Wall and Nene and he has the Trevor A connection. And Phil could help pull in the right coach after evaluating Randy.

This is exactly the kind of splash Ted needs to make to get this thing turned around. Its a long shot but it is potentially doable. The Washington/Baltimore/Frederick/Virginia/DE market is potentially HUGE. I would offer Phil part ownership.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Post#647 » by payitforward » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:02 pm

LyricalRico wrote:^ Yes, Abe was the majority owner at the time, but wasn't Ted the one who brought MJ in? IIRC Ted had already bought the Caps from Abe and he was trying to build the Wizards brand in preparation for taking them over upon Abe's death.

In other words, you think he wouldn't do a financial deal in which he stood to make a huge amount of money doing something for which he has demonstrated skills, because he "wouldn't want to be viewed as..." whatever? Really?

But I doubt it's on offer.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,604

Post#648 » by pancakes3 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:25 pm

Phil is a pipe dream but it's a nice pipe dream. He wants ownership stakes, GM powers, but unfortunately what he really wants is another ring.
Bullets -> Wizards
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#649 » by BigA » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:49 pm

Phil Jackson is only going to a team set up to make a run at a championship. So not the Wizards, not the Nets.
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#650 » by Halcyon » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:08 pm

Well, I never thought MJ would play for the Wizards, so I guess anything is possible. But I do think that not only do we need a good GM to buy the groceries, we need a whole culture change. Having an established winner like Phil be the president would set the tone from the top down.
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#651 » by GhostsOfGil » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:37 pm

Phil Jackson in DC is the epitome of a pipe dream. We all know how Ted is and seeing how he's rejected every sensible move, I doubt he even considers the idea. :(
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#652 » by miller31time » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:45 pm

Honestly, not even looking at the myriad of basketball reasons Phil would never consider this team, he'd almost certainly reject an offer just based on the fact that our team name is "Wizards" -- what a stupid team name.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#653 » by closg00 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:42 pm

GhostsOfGil wrote:Phil Jackson in DC is the epitome of a pipe dream. We all know how Ted is and seeing how he's rejected every sensible move, I doubt he even considers the idea. :(

Ted wouldn't accept the calls of potential GM candidates who were calling him when Ernie's contract was up for renewal, what does that tell you about Ted?
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#654 » by GhostsOfGil » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:46 pm

closg00 wrote:
GhostsOfGil wrote:Phil Jackson in DC is the epitome of a pipe dream. We all know how Ted is and seeing how he's rejected every sensible move, I doubt he even considers the idea. :(

Ted wouldn't accept the calls of potential GM candidates who were calling him when Ernie's contract was up for renewal, what does that tell you about Ted?

Yup, I was actually thinking about that as I wrote that post.
DCsOwn
Junior
And1: 126

Post#655 » by DCsOwn » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:52 pm

miller31time wrote:Honestly, not even looking at the myriad of basketball reasons Phil would never consider this team, he'd almost certainly reject an offer just based on the fact that our team name is "Wizards" -- what a stupid team name.

Why I'm rooting for New Orleans to adopt the team name Pelicans. At least then we'd only have the second dumbest team name in league. The Wizards. We were that obsessed with an alliterative handle that we **** stooped to the Wizards?

Also, count me out in terms of wanting Phil coaching or running this team in any capacity. This team could desperately use the cache his name would bring, but I want a relatively young, highly thought of personnel man that's apprenticed under some executive thats competent in his role with a successful team. I want a dynamic thinker, someone willing to be creative and someone completely consumed with turning the Wizards around and making a name for himself through doing just that.

I think it was Aldridge that reported that agents for myriad candidates that fit that description called Leonsis to inquire about the availability of the job here . Aldridge insinuated that immediately after Leonsis acquired the team, multiple agents saw this as a plum spot for their clients because of the market and the assumed positive thrust of a new ownership group. Remember, this is a huge market, gargantuan if you included what could potentially be in it's purview if this craptastic organization had any appeal to more than just the die-hards in the Wash/Balt region which is the fourth most densely populated region in the country, and that doesnt include what could potentially be within our footprint in central and southern Virginia. The DC market alone is a tremendously affluent market that is growing at an exponential rate, it's a market with cache and pop because of the importance, history and cultural significance of DC to our country and it's a market in which professional basketball should thrive when you look at things from a demographic perspective and the fact that basketball in every level has resonance here. AAU and highschool basketball is terrific here. Georgetown and Maryland are national brands etc.

It's obviously not clear whether or not those agents still view this gig quite that positively considering the **** that has transpired since then, but even if they don't, there are only 30 of those jobs available. It shouldn't be difficult at all to sell someone on this position if Leonsis can convince them that he is truly interested in winning.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#656 » by Nivek » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:15 pm

Pelicans is a better team name than Wizards.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

Post#657 » by Induveca » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:33 pm

Wouldn't happen anyways. Leonsis was around during the hiring/questionable firing of Jordan. From all reports, it seems Jackson/Jordan are still quite close.

The Jordan axeing wasn't all Pollin sadly enough. Leonsis was involved, it was Leonsis after all who initially lured MJ to DC.
hands11
Banned User

Post#658 » by hands11 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:40 pm

Halcyon wrote:Well, I never thought MJ would play for the Wizards, so I guess anything is possible. But I do think that not only do we need a good GM to buy the groceries, we need a whole culture change. Having an established winner like Phil be the president would set the tone from the top down.

Yes it would. Make it happen Ted.
hands11
Banned User

Post#659 » by hands11 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:42 pm

closg00 wrote:

He wouldnt be the GM. He would be VP and part owner. Or whatever title they wanted to give him. You can add Phil while EG is still living out his two year contract. EG become the fella to works the contracts. More like Allen on the Skins. Then you move him if you want when his contract is up and Phil starts to populate the front office with Phil people.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,701

Post#660 » by montestewart » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:45 pm

Induveca wrote:

Wouldn't happen anyways. Leonsis was around during the hiring/questionable firing of Jordan. From all reports, it seems Jackson/Jordan are still quite close.

The Jordan axeing wasn't all Pollin sadly enough. Leonsis was involved, it was Leonsis after all who initially lured MJ to DC.

I recall a description of the meeting in which Pollin fired Jordan, and it sounded like the move blindsided Leonsis. Don't know how true that is.

Return to Washington Wizards