ImageImageImageImageImage

Should Billy King be fired?

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

N Ireland Nets
Lead Assistant
And1: 276

Should Billy King be fired? 

Post#1 » by N Ireland Nets » Wed Jan 2, 2013 9:43 am

Billy King's contract runs out this summer and its looking increasingly likely that our new head coach might not be brought in until the summer.

So I ask this question, should Billy King be fired (I mean not given a new contract this summer) ?

Due to our uncertainty coaching wise and need for a PF, I admit I'm very nervous about King making trades after Jan 15th until the trade deadline.

His job is on the line and you can bet he is going to make a splash in the next few months and that worries me greatly.

If we don't want or rather know any coach that wants to join us mid season then why should we waste our only real assets until 2016 on a trade for a player who might not fit the new coaches system come summer time. I'd rather wait and hold onto whatever we own until we know what type of player we need to fit the new coaches system.

Billy King needs to sit on his hands after the panic moves he's made in the recent past in my opinion.

Lets look at the huge moves he made at the deadline & summer.

It's obvious this starts with the panic Wallace trade and ends with the Johnson trade.

With it being revealed that OKC offered the Wizards Harden for Beal & Singleton it makes it even harder to stomach when you look at the Wallace trade for us.

If we hadn't of traded for Wallace our pick is easily top 4, we were only 2 wins better off than the 2nd worse record last season. So with no Wallace we have a legit shot at top 3 & maybe even top pick if we were lucky.

So worse case with no Wallace trade we could've very well left the draft with Harden or Davis.

So you'd be walking into free agency with Davis/Harden & a re-signed Lopez of probably around $10m per saving us a lot of money. We ended up giving Lopez the max because we messed him about for so long until rumours of the Bobcats & Portland willing to offer the max to Lopez when a deal would've been simple if we had offered him a big deal early on. Then it would be up to D Will go re-sign if he was interested in playing with such a good young core going forward.

AK47 was very interested in joining Brooklyn but we could only offer the vet min at the time & he reportedly still was considering it against the Wolves deal, so the full MLE could've swayed him with 3 years $5m.

Re-sign Hump to same $12m deal he has now if we traded for Harden or if we had Davis, sign OJ Mayo to a good deal.

We'd obviously been in far better shape than currently with a top young core with Williams & AK the vet presence.

With 1st pick, potential starting 5:
Williams - $17.2m
Mayo - $4m
AK47 -
Davis - $5.15m
Lopez - $13.7m

Would have roughly $18m pre AK signing to pay AK47 & fill out roster in this situation.

With a top 3 pick & Harden trade:
Williams - $17.2m
Harden - $5.8m
AK47 - $5m full MLE
Hump - $12m
Lopez - $13.7m
Would have roughly $9m pre AK47 signing to fill out roster spots before giving the full MLE to AK.

We'd have all our picks going forward to make trades also when players become available. Don't get me started on Howard, obviously if we had the 1st pick in last years draft Howard would be in Brooklyn. Even a top 3 pick like we would've been likely to have would've sealed a Howard deal.

I know this is a lot of speculation but its a legit conversation of looking at how the panic trade for Wallace led to us being unable to make any huge moves for Brooklyn. Not to mention we'd be below the tax threshold which would allow us to be in the running for Josh Smith etc through sign & trades.

We are locked in with this roster until 2016 so we have to start thinking, should King lose his job this summer?

Personally I'd bring in a new GM as soon as the season ended to let them make moves around draft night with the few assets we currently have. Remember Hump becomes more valuable around the draft until the trade deadline because he is a huge expiring contract next season, so it would give us a better asset to trade if we wait on any trades.

If we were to fire King in the summer it would also let us again target Phil Jackson with the knowledge we could hire an entire front office to suit Jackson and pave the way for a front office position for Jackson in the long run.

We could bring in Shaw as Jackson's coaching assistant in the summer under the idea of Shaw taking over the head coaching position & Jackson moving to a top front office position for 2016.

Why 2016?
Well in 2016 our entire cap will be available to spend on bringing free agents to Brooklyn. Giving Shaw a perfect blank slate to begin his reign.

So should King be fired & by fired I mean not have his contract renewed?

I believe King messed up a golden opportunity and panicked this past year & for that he should lose his job.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,871

Re: Should Billy King be fired? 

Post#2 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed Jan 2, 2013 10:05 am

I find most of your scenarios to be highly unrealistic.

Lopez was getting that max contract, him and his agent knew what he was worth. I don't think D Will would want to play for a team full of young and unproven players. AK47 would not have turned down the Wolves deal. And OJ Mayo is just awful. I have no idea why you want him.

And the Harden trade didn't happen until right before the season. There is no way D-Will is resigning with us without Johnson, Wallace, AND Lopez.

Billy King hasn't been terrible. I agree with most things he has done. The Deron trade, Johnson trade, Evans trade, Blatche signing, persuading D-Will to resign here, Avery firing were all pretty good moves. The biggest blunder was clearly the Wallace trade and that isn't because of Wallace himself, its because of the potential of that pick in a Dwight trade.

However, the Dwightmare was a complete mess. And I don't really know if we can blame King for that. The final trade we offered was much better than the Lakers trade anyway. But you could argue that the Magic still might have taken the trade with a top 4 pick.

Overall, the potential team King was gunning for was amazing.
Williams/Johnson/Wallace/Dwight would have been a championship contender.

And what he got Williams/Johnson/Wallace/Lopez is still a pretty good team. Good for 50 wins on paper.

I think again the biggest problem has been the disappointment of Deron Williams and not King.

King did accomplish to put a pretty good team together. And I don't blame him for the current failure of this team.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,067

Post#3 » by therealbig3 » Wed Jan 2, 2013 10:13 am

This wouldn't be a topic if Deron just played the way he should be. And yes, Avery would still be the coach in that case. So in a way, it may have been a blessing in disguise, because Avery really was awful.

But I'm done apologizing for Deron now. If he's injured, rest. If not, and it's some mental thing, get over it. We're only a 50 win team and a 2nd round/CF-type team if he gets his head out of his ass and actually plays the way he's capable of.

Honestly, I don't have much of a problem with Billy King. Yeah, I'm still pissed about the Wallace trade, but it looks like the Magic were never going to trade Howard to us anyway, so that pick wouldn't have helped in acquiring Howard imo. Obviously, we could have gotten a blue-chip prospect, or acquired another star via trade (like Smith) if we had held onto it, which is why that trade was still so awful. But beyond that (and it's a big "beyond that"), he did trade for Deron Williams, he did acquire Wallace and Johnson, and he did re-sign Lopez and Deron. Sure, he overpaid along the way, but he did put together an excellent group of players that have just blatantly underperformed.

I think he did his job, which was to field a competitive team during our first few years in Brooklyn. He definitely did that. It's the coaches and the players that have disappointed everyone.

And btw, if he trades for a player, and then hires a good coach...if that coach is actually "good", he can design a system around the team's strengths. I wouldn't worry about that too much.
N Ireland Nets
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by N Ireland Nets » Wed Jan 2, 2013 11:41 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:Lopez was getting that max contract, him and his agent knew what he was worth.

No he wasn't.

Lopez was coming off the back of two injuries to the same foot in the same season in which he played a handful of games.

The reason Lopez got the max was due to Lopez being about to sign an offer sheet with the Bobcats and that was quite a while into Lopez's restricted free agency. So no it's unrealistic at all to have agreed a $10m per deal prior to his free agency.

He was given the max almost as a thank you for his patience & not rushing to sign an offer sheet which would've killed any potential Howard trade.

Hello Brooklyn wrote: I don't think D Will would want to play for a team full of young and unproven players. AK47 would not have turned down the Wolves deal. And OJ Mayo is just awful. I have no idea why you want him.

D Will would absolutely have played with both those teams. In reality if we drafted Davis it would've lead to Howard and D Will playing in Brooklyn.

D Will would've loved to have formed a back court with James Harden.

Plus he got the most money from use hole Dallas didnt even offer the max.

About Mayo, I'd rather have Mayo at $4m with a player option 2nd year than Johnson at $20+ million. Mayo has been tremendous value for his contract. I was basically picking the best free agent shooting guard available in 2012. Could've taken Shved for instance if we had the cap room left.

Hello Brooklyn wrote:And the Harden trade didn't happen until right before the season. There is no way D-Will is resigning with us without Johnson, Wallace, AND Lopez.

The potential Harden deal I'm talking about is the deal offered to the Washington Wizards on draft night of Harden for Beal & Singleton which the Wizard owners turned down due to fears of being into high taxes due to Hardens extension.

Hello Brooklyn wrote: Billy King hasn't been terrible. I agree with most things he has done. The Deron trade, Johnson trade, Evans trade, Blatche signing, persuading D-Will to resign here, Avery firing were all pretty good moves.

The Deron trade was a huge risk that again could be argued was also wrong. The Johnson trade was horrible in regards we gave up an asset in the Houston pick while taking on the worst contract in the NBA, we should've been given a pick by the Hawks for doing that deal. Again the Johnson move was a panic move in an attempt to hold into D Will.

The Blatche signing was 100% Avery, all his idea and he had to convince king to give him a go.

The Evabs trade cost us the larger $3m exception when for something like 100k less salary Evans could've be fitted into the small exception thus allowing us to move for someone like Kidd or Camby with the larger exception.

Avery being fired was all due to Moscow deciding to get rid of Avery, King wanted to give Avery more time.

Hello Brooklyn wrote:The biggest blunder was clearly the Wallace trade and that isn't because of Wallace himself, its because of the potential of that pick in a Dwight trade.

Agreed but that pick had huge value around the NBA, hence the Harden deal that was available on draft night.

Hello Brooklyn wrote:However, the Dwightmare was a complete mess. And I don't really know if we can blame King for that. The final trade we offered was much better than the Lakers trade anyway. But you could argue that the Magic still might have taken the trade with a top 4 pick.

King was right to push for Howard.

Hello Brooklyn wrote:Overall, the potential team King was gunning for was amazing.
Williams/Johnson/Wallace/Dwight would have been a championship contender.

Yes it's a tremendous team but by trading for Wallace you removed a major asset to allow us to sign Howard. It all comes back to the panic Wallace trade.

Hello Brooklyn wrote:And what he got Williams/Johnson/Wallace/Lopez is still a pretty good team. Good for 50 wins on paper.

Again I agree but Wallace is going to face a sharpe decline due to his game being all athleticism while he's locked into us till 2016. Same for Johnson, he isn't worth his salary this year, just imagine what it's going to be like in 2015 with something like $25m.

Hello Brooklyn wrote:I think again the biggest problem has been the disappointment of Deron Williams and not King.

King did accomplish to put a pretty good team together. And I don't blame him for the current failure of this team.

I do blame him. He traded for these players and took big risks which in my opinion haven't paid off.

We're paying huge salaries while realistically not being contenders, which is nuts. Our ceiling is 2nd round or ECF and our team is likely to get worse over time due to Wallace & Johnson being on the wrong side of 30.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#5 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed Jan 2, 2013 12:34 pm

N Ireland Nets wrote:
No he wasn't.

Lopez was coming off the back of two injuries to the same foot in the same season in which he played a handful of games.

Thats not true. and youre basing this off of your own ideas rather than fact. Lopez's priority was not to this team but to get the most money available.

If we didn't give him a max contract he would have wanted to sign those offer sheets anyway. He would not have just signed for less because we gave him an offer quickly. That is stupid. Him and his agent knew what his market was in the NBA

He was definitely going to get a max contract in this market.

D Will would absolutely have played with both those teams. In reality if we drafted Davis it would've lead to Howard and D Will playing in Brooklyn.

About Mayo, I'd rather have Mayo at $4m with a player option 2nd year than Johnson at $20+ million. Mayo has been tremendous value for his contract. I was basically picking the best free agent shooting guard available in 2012. Could've taken Shved for instance if we had the cap room left.

You're again making assumptions. How do you know we would have gotten Howard? The Magic were completely unwilling to trade Howard for us.

All we would have had to convince D Will would be Lopez. Without Johnson and with a potential promise of Howard, it would have been foolish for D Will to sign hard. And I don't think he would have.

The potential Harden deal I'm talking about is the deal offered to the Washington Wizards on draft night of Harden for Beal & Singleton which the Wizard owners turned down due to fears of being into high taxes due to Hardens extension.

If we got Harden how would we have gotten Howard in your scenario? D Will would not want to play with Lopez and Harden. You know that. He wanted Johnson.

The Deron trade was a huge risk that again could be argued was also wrong. The Johnson trade was horrible in regards we gave up an asset in the Houston pick while taking on the worst contract in the NBA, we should've been given a pick by the Hawks for doing that deal. Again the Johnson move was a panic move in an attempt to hold into D Will.

The Blatche signing was 100% Avery, all his idea and he had to convince king to give him a go.

The Evabs trade cost us the larger $3m exception when for something like 100k less salary Evans could've be fitted into the small exception thus allowing us to move for someone like Kidd or Camby with the larger exception.

Avery being fired was all due to Moscow deciding to get rid of Avery, King wanted to give Avery more time.

The Deron trade was 100% right. Favors and Kantor are trash. I knew this from the get go. Johnson trade was necessary to keep Deron and put forth a decent team. The Houston pick? Are you joking?
Thats gonna be a late first round pick that we don't even care about. And we only included that because the NBA forced us too.

Blatche was done by King, I don't care if it was Avery's idea. And the Evans trade was 100% worth it. Camby? Hes not even playing? Kidd? He got a better deal with the Knicks.

And King had a lot to do with Avery being fired. Stop selling him shot.

[img]
Agreed but that pick had huge value around the NBA, hence the Harden deal that was available on draft night.[/img]

Why are you so in love with Harden? You act like he would make this team into a contender. He would have improved us but he was unproven at that point in time. No one knew he would be that good back then. And Deron Williams wanted Johnson.

Yes it's a tremendous team but by trading for Wallace you removed a major asset to allow us to sign Howard. It all comes back to the panic Wallace trade.

Again I agree but Wallace is going to face a sharpe decline due to his game being all athleticism while he's locked into us till 2016. Same for Johnson, he isn't worth his salary this year, just imagine what it's going to be like in 2015 with something like $25m.

We all agree the Wallace move was his big mistake.

I do blame him. He traded for these players and took big risks which in my opinion haven't paid off.

We're paying huge salaries while realistically not being contenders, which is nuts. Our ceiling is 2nd round or ECF and our team is likely to get worse over time due to Wallace & Johnson being on the wrong side of 30.

Deron Williams was not supposed to be a risk. He was supposed to be a super star. Lopez has been great. Wallace has been better than expected. Johnson has been ok.

The only real disappointment has been Williams.

We needed a contending team going into Brooklyn. Building through the draft was not an option for us. We needed a playoff team, so I understand the moves.

We could have had a D Will- Howard combo. And the risk for getting that level of talent was worth it.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,827

Post#6 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jan 2, 2013 1:42 pm

I don't think that he should be fired, but he will be screwed over royally if Williams and Johnson do not start playing like grown men.

He did what he had to do. This isn't OKC where you can take years to rebuild, he had to get something done now. Do I agree with some of those moves? No. Do I understand? Yes.

The Teletovic signing though appears to be a MASSIVE mistake. I'm not sure how it even came to this point, this guy doesn't look like he belongs on a D League floor, nevermind the NBA floor. The footage of him in the euroleague was quite misleading, I assumed he was talented and could stroke the long ball.

Getting Evans was a great move. I don't mind the Watson signing, or Blatche.

Maybe King's biggest folly wasn't completely the roster, but feeling comfortable leaving the keys to that roster in the hands of a jackass control freak.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
N Ireland Nets
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by N Ireland Nets » Wed Jan 2, 2013 3:15 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
N Ireland Nets wrote:
No he wasn't.

Thats not true. and youre basing this off of your own ideas rather than fact. Lopez's priority was not to this team but to get the most money available.

If we didn't give him a max contract he would have wanted to sign those offer sheets anyway. He would not have just signed for less because we gave him an offer quickly. That is stupid. Him and his agent knew what his market was in the NBA

He was definitely going to get a max contract in this market.

You're again making assumptions. How do you know we would have gotten Howard? The Magic were completely unwilling to trade Howard for us.

All we would have had to convince D Will would be Lopez. Without Johnson and with a potential promise of Howard, it would have been foolish for D Will to sign hard. And I don't think he would have.

If we got Harden how would we have gotten Howard in your scenario? D Will would not want to play with Lopez and Harden. You know that. He wanted Johnson.

The Deron trade was 100% right. Favors and Kantor are trash. I knew this from the get go. Johnson trade was necessary to keep Deron and put forth a decent team. The Houston pick? Are you joking?
Thats gonna be a late first round pick that we don't even care about. And we only included that because the NBA forced us too.

Blatche was done by King, I don't care if it was Avery's idea. And the Evans trade was 100% worth it. Camby? Hes not even playing? Kidd? He got a better deal with the Knicks.

And King had a lot to do with Avery being fired. Stop selling him shot.

[img]
Agreed but that pick had huge value around the NBA, hence the Harden deal that was available on draft night.[/img]

Why are you so in love with Harden? You act like he would make this team into a contender. He would have improved us but he was unproven at that point in time. No one knew he would be that good back then. And Deron Williams wanted Johnson.

We all agree the Wallace move was his big mistake.

Deron Williams was not supposed to be a risk. He was supposed to be a super star. Lopez has been great. Wallace has been better than expected. Johnson has been ok.

The only real disappointment has been Williams.

We needed a contending team going into Brooklyn. Building through the draft was not an option for us. We needed a playoff team, so I understand the moves.

We could have had a D Will- Howard combo. And the risk for getting that level of talent was worth it.

Not going to quote everything, it took ages on my phone last time.

Lopez was willing to re-sign for somewhere in between$10-$12m per, was actually closer to $10m that's a fact. http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_dwight_howard_magic_nets_trade_031312

You have to remember how scared people were in regards Lopez's foot which he broke twice in one season, nobody wanted to touch him.

I never said we'd get Howard in the Harden scenario. It would've been Williams, Harden & Lopez with great cap room to fill out the roster.

Favors is far from trash and to say so in a joke. Who said anything about Kanter? Who said we would've taken Kanter? You knew they were trash? Right....

Blatche was nothing to do with King, that's a fact.

Kidd could've and would've signed for us if he got paid the same $3m he got with the Knicks & with the $3m trade exemption we could of signed him but king gave that to the clippers for Evans.

King had nothing to do with firing Avery and again this is 100% fact. Ownership in Russia had been unhappy with Avery for a long time, even throughout November & we thinking about firing him. King wanted to give Avery more time but was told by Proky & co that Avery has to go. Again this is fact.

Harden was clearly a top 5 SG and future star last season with OKC, I have no clue what your on about because everybody knew back then he was a future star.

I'm not saying we needed to build through the draft. My point is we could've had far superior roster flexibility for further moves and improvement down the line if King didn't panic and trade for Wallace. He shouldn't have his contract extended in the summer for that trade alone, it out us in a horrible situation.

Just to break it down. No Wallace trade and tank our way to 3 pick in 2012 draft.
On draft night we get a call from OKC saying we can have Harden for Beal & Brooks. We pull the trigger. Ill even give Lopez the max (even though he could've been had for less).

Williams - $17.2m / Kidd - $3m TE
Harden - $5.8m / Shved - $3m
AK47 - full MLE / Green - $2.5m
Hump - $12m / Martin - Vet min
Lopez - $13.7m / Blatche - Vet min

Taylor & Toko in there as well. I picked Kenyon Martin as a cheap back up PF.

This is an entirely realistic team we could've put together at a fraction of the cost and way more upside. The Nets were very interested in Shved, after all he played for CSKA Moscow the team Proky used to own but again we had zero money to give to players. Green was willing to re-sign but we were capped out.

The team i said we were capable of signing isn't any better than ours currently, id say its roughly the same standard, but we would've been able to make improvements because we would be below the lux tax plus it has huge upside with Lopez & Harden being 24 & 23 with their best years ahead of them.

Our biggest problem in the next 3/4 years is we are locked in long term with little room to wiggle. We can't do a sign & trade etc so it's hard to make us any better.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#8 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed Jan 2, 2013 4:01 pm

N Ireland Nets wrote:
Not going to quote everything, it took ages on my phone last time.

Lopez was willing to re-sign for somewhere in between$10-$12m per, was actually closer to $10m that's a fact.

You have to remember how scared people were in regards Lopez's foot which he broke twice in one season, nobody wanted to touch him.

I never said we'd get Howard in the Harden scenario. It would've been Williams, Harden & Lopez with great cap room to fill out the roster.

Favors is far from trash and to say so in a joke. Who said anything about Kanter? Who said we would've taken Kanter? You knew they were trash? Right....

Blatche was nothing to do with King, that's a fact.

Kidd could've and would've signed for us if he got paid the same $3m he got with the Knicks & with the $3m trade exemption we could of signed him but king gave that to the clippers for Evans.

King had nothing to do with firing Avery and again this is 100% fact. Ownership in Russia had been unhappy with Avery for a long time, even throughout November & we thinking about firing him. King wanted to give Avery more time but was told by Proky & co that Avery has to go. Again this is fact.

Harden was clearly a top 5 SG and future star last season with OKC, I have no clue what your on about because everybody knew back then he was a future star.

I'm not saying we needed to build through the draft. My point is we could've had far superior roster flexibility for further moves and improvement down the line if King didn't panic and trade for Wallace. He shouldn't have his contract extended in the summer for that trade alone, it out us in a horrible situation.

Just to break it down. No Wallace trade and tank our way to 3 pick in 2012 draft.
On draft night we get a call from OKC saying we can have Harden for Beal & Brooks. We pull the trigger. Ill even give Lopez the max (even though he could've been had for less).

Williams - $17.2m / Kidd - $3m TE
Harden - $5.8m / Shved - $3m
AK47 - full MLE / Green - $2.5m
Hump - $12m / Martin - Vet min
Lopez - $13.7m / Blatche - Vet min

Taylor & Toko in there as well. I picked Kenyon Martin as a cheap back up PF.

This is an entirely realistic team we could've put together at a fraction of the cost and way more upside. The Nets were very interested in Shved, after all he played for CSKA Moscow the team Proky used to own but again we had zero money to give to players. Green was willing to re-sign but we were capped out.

The team i said we were capable of signing isn't any better than ours currently, id say its roughly the same standard, but we would've been able to make improvements because we would be below the lux tax plus it has huge upside with Lopez & Harden being 24 & 23 with their best years ahead of them.

Our biggest problem in the next 3/4 years is we are locked in long term with little room to wiggle. We can't do a sign & trade etc so it's hard to make us any better.

All that article says is that was the Nets plan. Who cares what are plan was?

The Nets didn't realize Lopez had that much value. You don't think Lopez would have seen what other teams were offering before resigning with the Nets??

And was King supposed to ignore the possibility of trading for Dwight this whole time?

Again, Deron Williams would NOT have wanted to resign for a team with Harden and Lopez. He would have signed for Dallas and already admitted he was close to doing so. He needed players like Johnson and Wallace.

Favors and whoever we would have drafted (probably Kanter) would not have made this team any good. We would have been a garbage team in the lottery. And that simply wasn't an option coming into Brooklyn.

We absolutely should have traded for Williams and put ourselves into a good position.

King was signed by Blatche, that is a fact. And Kidd got a 3 year deal with the Knicks. Thats what he wanted.

How can you say King had nothing to do with the firing? Of course he did. He is the GENERAL MANAGER. All major decisions come with his input.

LOL everybody did NOT know Harden was a star. Many people thought he would fail as a teams focal point. He had never even made an all-start team. Everyone did not believe he was a superstar. And he wouldn't have been proof enough for Williams.

Again, your dream scenario was not a possibility. Deron Williams would not have resigned if not for the Johnson trade. He has pretty much admitted that the Johnson trade is what made him want to stay.

Besides, I am not convinced your team would be much better than our current team anyways. Looks like a .500 team, especially with D-Will playing like garbage.

King did what he had to do. This is the result.
jerseyjac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34

Post#9 » by jerseyjac » Wed Jan 2, 2013 4:09 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:I don't think that he should be fired, but he will be screwed over royally if Williams and Johnson do not start playing like grown men.

He did what he had to do. This isn't OKC where you can take years to rebuild, he had to get something done now. Do I agree with some of those moves? No. Do I understand? Yes.

The Teletovic signing though appears to be a MASSIVE mistake. I'm not sure how it even came to this point, this guy doesn't look like he belongs on a D League floor, nevermind the NBA floor. The footage of him in the euroleague was quite misleading, I assumed he was talented and could stroke the long ball.

Getting Evans was a great move. I don't mind the Watson signing, or Blatche.

Maybe King's biggest folly wasn't completely the roster, but feeling comfortable leaving the keys to that roster in the hands of a jackass control freak.

I partially agree, but here's my spin...

I think fans truly underestimate that Billy is the goat...

Billy did what he had to and what ownership told him to do, I'm sure there is a liaison that Proky implemented...If not he had a plan to follow and at the very least was TOLD to bring the best quality team (on paper), regardless of the payroll to Brooklyn at the start of the season...go back as far back you need to go with Billy & Proky...

I was not happy with the Wallace trade, but there is a different spin on Crash now with this current team, does it make it any better, not really...you want to speculate on what we could of done if we didn't make that trade...Ask yourself this, you don't think Billy knows what he could of done by not making the Wallace trade...you don't think he weighs all options or knows as much as we do...this was a conscious decision, stamped by the higher ups in an effort to keep Deron on ice...yeh I like to think about the what ifs, but when I know most of Billy moves were based off of the now and what he needed/was told to get done, it really changes the perspective on the moves "he" made...

If we want to be somewhat naive to how it works with a Billionaire owner, who actually is calling the shots and how Billy is playing more of an advisory role, thats fine too...

I think Billy was as creative as he could be, had priorities based off of ownership requests while providing his advice along the way...

How simple was it:

#1 Sign Deron (no limits)
#2 Sign Howard
#3 No Howard, sign Brook to a max deal

You want to really look at Billy's moves and evaluate, see Evans, Blatche and Watson...even though CJ right now seems lost, I loved this move...I think he'll bounce back...Bogans was simple move, he was here already and had a relationship with the team...the Euro's tickets were punched by ownership's where I am sure Billy provided enough alternative FAs before signing them...Stack was Avery's pick, I'm sure others agreed we needed a true veteran in the locker room...Hump was an expensive default move...

We've been through the moves a million times...

You know where I'm at, so what...

2016 will be talked about as well as what we need now...Billy will speak w/ ownership present them the two aforementioned scenarios and ownership will make the decision, not Billy...sure Billy is going to make a push at getting resigned, but I truly believe his hands are tied more than we actually know...

Ownership will make one of two decisions...continue playing a significant role with Billy as the front man or hand it over to new front office based around a superior basketball mind such as Phil and lose most of their control in managing basketball operations...
rj2496
Starter
And1: 111

Post#10 » by rj2496 » Wed Jan 2, 2013 4:42 pm

It all looks good in hindsight when you have us getting Harden and Davis, but you can't do that. I think King did a good job of assembling a team that we thought could all mesh. He did everything he could to possibly get Howard, and nothing about that situation was his fault.

Before the season, we were all pretty excited about the roster that he assembled, and felt the pieces would work pretty well. We had a top 8 player at every position besides PF. I think King did the best he could do with the lack of assets and cap room that we had. Lopez was going to get the max from any team, so I don't understand why you were against giving him max. He's certainly played up to it to this point.

The two trades he made for Wallace and Johnson.....eh. Gerald has become one of my favorite players, and I'm glad we have him on our team. However, do I think we could have gotten away without giving our best draft pick? Perhaps. The Joe Johnson trade, ugh. Well, I guess we had to have an established player who can score the ball and who is a household name that would keep Deron here, and thats what happened. We also didn't have any assets to acquire anybody else, so we had to take on JJ and his enormous horrible contract.

No matter how bad Deron has been so far this year, he obviously gets the max and whatever else he wants. We needed a superstar on our team, and although he isn't playing like one, I'm still confident he'll get it back together even though many of you are so down on him you'd trade him for Rondo, Holiday, and etc. Thats nonsense. He will pick it up and return to his Utah days. I find it hard to believe that he is going to suck for the next 4 years. He is still an elite player in this league.

There were tons of pressure on Billy to put out a winning product on the floor NOW, not in a year or two. If he was given the okay to be patient, I don't think our roster would look the way it does now.

If our players were playing up to their standard and their contract, I don't think this would be a topic right now. We certainly need them to start stepping it up, and hopefully it's sometime soon. I'm tired of all the excuses and bull****.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,366

Post#11 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Jan 2, 2013 4:43 pm

This thread makes me so sad.

It's painfully obvious that if King didn't make the Wallace trade we'd be sitting here with a Harden/Deron backcourt if we hadn't landed the #1 overall pick, in which case we'd almost definitely have Davis and then have signed Mayo, or I'm sorry, we'd have Dwight...

Farmar still opts out.

Morrow would have been dealt for an expiring at the deadline.

Shawne Williams would have been stretched for a mere 1.1 mill cap hit.

Houston pick and a 2nd is likely sent with Petro to a lotto team for pure cap, also though a TPE, some of which would have been used to S&T for Reggie Evans, the rest renounced for cap space.

Lopez is likely still signed to max, but he still waits and allows us to take advantage of his 7.7 million dollar cap hold instead of immediately re-signing him and taking the 13.6 million cap hit.

We still would have bought the picks that land Ty and Toko.

Blatche still signs here.

Maybe CJ still signs here. Deron and Billy recruited him. If not? Who cares?

Everyone knows Deron was re-signing here anyway as long as we had a real deal competitive team that could grow to a contender. If you read between the lines he had some interest in Dallas but it wasn't nearly as serious as it seems. The JJ trade helped, but what, you think players don't LOVE Harden? A fellow Olympian and 6xth man of the year and arguable 3rd best player on the young Finals team? Come on man!

Deron loved Brook. Sure he wanted Howard. But he loves Brook, everything he's said backs this up, and I'm talking read between the lines stuff too, not just surface value. Come on man!

Deron wanted to be the face of Brooklyn. He loves New York. He wanted to prove everyone wrong and resurrect the franchise and himself. Come on man! Deron likes money. He got a ton more here and gets all the ad money. Come on man!

At this point our cap is looking like this

Deron 17.7
Brook 7.7
Harden 5.8
Brooks 1.2
Evans 1.6
Shawne Williams stretch: 1.1
Blatche 850K
CJ 1 mill
Toko 470K
Ty 470K
No cap holds in all reality. You need 12 spots accounted for, but we would have 10 filled and with this much
free cap you can take away 2, cause they go away when you make a signing.

$20.3 million in cap space!

You can trade for guys, sign guys, but...

You know we then get one of Crash, AK, or Batum at the 3.

This is assuming Hump walks though.

But not even necessarily. We all know Hump wound up wanting more cause of how he was strung along. At this point teams like Charlotte and even Milwaukee had interest on a smaller deal, or we bring him back cheaper.

Also AK wanted to be here and might have taken less.

But lets even just say we still sign Crash, starting at $11 mill a year for 4 years. I don't care, that gets him here, Portland was going to let him walk and no one else was offering more.

Then say re-sign Hump for 2 years and 9 mill, which was rumored even by his agent around what he was looking for from us at first.

Still have full real deal MLE and BAE.

Tele, Kidd, another solid player that was picked up for almost nothing?

Or maybe full MLE thrown at Mayo, then BAE thrown at Kidd? Who very reliable sources say wanted to come here so bad would have heavily considered that?

So many things that could have happened. Mayo would have been a lock for full MLE. But even forget him and Kidd. Or let's not. IDK.

Deron/Watson/Taylor
Harden/Brooks/Stack
Wallace/Bogans/Brooks/Toko
Hump/Evans/Tele/Blatche
Lopez/Blatche/Evans/Tele

That alone was the "worst case" and that still left the BAE to be used and almost half an MLE. Hell, there's a good chance Kidd and Tele would have split the MLE. With Kidd taking 4 full years on it in what's called a an Over 36 Rule where he retires after 3 yet is paid for 4, so that that 4th year makes up the salary difference. Quite honestly that's a super realistic scenario.

Then you have Tele and Kidd and we still had the BAE, still below the tax and can take advantage of S&T's, 150% salary match on trades rule, etc.

I hate this thread, hate it so much, it makes me think how awful Billy King is no matter what happens with this team going forward short of winning a title.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#12 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Jan 2, 2013 4:43 pm

rj2496 wrote:It all looks good in hindsight when you have us getting Harden and Davis, but you can't do that.

Why exactly can't you?
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
jerseyjac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by jerseyjac » Wed Jan 2, 2013 4:59 pm

rj2496 wrote:It all looks good in hindsight when you have us getting Harden and Davis, but you can't do that. I think King did a good job of assembling a team that we thought could all mesh. He did everything he could to possibly get Howard, and nothing about that situation was his fault.

Before the season, we were all pretty excited about the roster that he assembled, and felt the pieces would work pretty well. We had a top 8 player at every position besides PF. I think King did the best he could do with the lack of assets and cap room that we had. Lopez was going to get the max from any team, so I don't understand why you were against giving him max. He's certainly played up to it to this point.

The two trades he made for Wallace and Johnson.....eh. Gerald has become one of my favorite players, and I'm glad we have him on our team. However, do I think we could have gotten away without giving our best draft pick? Perhaps. The Joe Johnson trade, ugh. Well, I guess we had to have an established player who can score the ball and who is a household name that would keep Deron here, and thats what happened. We also didn't have any assets to acquire anybody else, so we had to take on JJ and his enormous horrible contract.

No matter how bad Deron has been so far this year, he obviously gets the max and whatever else he wants. We needed a superstar on our team, and although he isn't playing like one, I'm still confident he'll get it back together even though many of you are so down on him you'd trade him for Rondo, Holiday, and etc. Thats nonsense. He will pick it up and return to his Utah days. I find it hard to believe that he is going to suck for the next 4 years. He is still an elite player in this league.

There were tons of pressure on Billy to put out a winning product on the floor NOW, not in a year or two. If he was given the okay to be patient, I don't think our roster would look the way it does now.

If our players were playing up to their standard and their contract, I don't think this would be a topic right now. We certainly need them to start stepping it up, and hopefully it's sometime soon. I'm tired of all the excuses and bull****.
jerseyjac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by jerseyjac » Wed Jan 2, 2013 5:22 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
rj2496 wrote:It all looks good in hindsight when you have us getting Harden and Davis, but you can't do that.

Why exactly can't you?

Because you won't acknowledge the fact that Billy's hand was forced one way or another to make the Wallace trade...
rj2496
Starter

Post#15 » by rj2496 » Wed Jan 2, 2013 5:27 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:

Why exactly can't you?

Because hindsight means nothing. What would the Hornets have looked like if they never traded Kobe Bryant? You can make up hundreds of scenarios in hindsight. How do you know OKC trades us Harden? In hindsight, if that dumbass Dwight Howard never signed that ETO, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Things happen. I highly doubt we would have signed Gerald Wallace if we never traded for him. He has said multiple times that he is scared of NYC, and I don't think the Nets would have been his first option.

Billy did everything he could to put the best possible line up on the floor with all things considered. We didn't have any assets, so we had to be a bit creative, and this is what we ended up with.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#16 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Jan 2, 2013 5:34 pm

jerseyjac wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:

Why exactly can't you?

Because you won't acknowledge the fact that Billy's hand was forced one way or another to make the Wallace trade...

Forced by who? Wait, you guys think Proky told him trade for Crash or else?

Or Deron?

And if that's the case in the latter, then King is too soft to have held this job to begin with and I'm not naive, I understand Deron was and is given a lot of input freedom with the roster, but come on.

Money talks, bull **** walks. Deron would have been here with a roster of Harden/Lopez/Wallace or AK in the offseason, plus Blatche, Evans and likely Kidd and Tele. I'm sorry...

When comes the time when we can admit how horribly this organization has been run without giving up our fandom?

Being excited or cautiously optimistic with the roster we had going into this season because A) It was really nice on paper, B) We can't control things as fans, and C) Cause this team had been so poor and nearly unwatchable for so long, does not have to be mutually exclusive with criticizing and taking off the fan shades and being honest with ourselves with reality, common sense and intelligence towards the sport.

I know I was excited coming in with this team, but I also know I was excited in the sense I knew we weren't contenders without a couple medium trades, Deron playing like he used to and Brook beasting. I also knew I was excited as in, well I don't make the decisions in real life for this team no matter how much I like to discuss basketball and this team with you guys, so eh, let's make the best of and enjoy what we got cause constantly bitching doesn't change anything or make it better to root for.

But that doesn't mean I'm not going to call a spade a spade when the subject is brought up.
rj2496
Starter

Post#17 » by rj2496 » Wed Jan 2, 2013 5:42 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:Forced by who? Wait, you guys think Proky told him trade for Crash or else?

Or Deron?

And if that's the case in the latter, then King is too soft to have held this job to begin with and I'm not naive, I understand Deron was and is given a lot of input freedom with the roster, but come on.

Money talks, bull **** walks. Deron would have been here with a roster of Harden/Lopez/Wallace or AK in the offseason, plus Blatche, Evans and likely Kidd and Tele. I'm sorry...

When comes the time when we can admit how horribly this organization has been run without giving up our fandom?

Being excited or cautiously optimistic with the roster we had going into this season because A) It was really nice on paper, B) We can't control things as fans, and C) Cause this team had been so poor and nearly unwatchable for so long, does not have to be mutually exclusive with criticizing and taking off the fan shades and being honest with ourselves with reality, common sense and intelligence towards the sport.

I know I was excited coming in with this team, but I also know I was excited in the sense I knew we weren't contenders without a couple medium trades, Deron playing like he used to and Brook beasting. I also knew I was excited as in, well I don't make the decisions in real life for this team no matter how much I like to discuss basketball and this team with you guys, so eh, let's make the best of and enjoy what we got cause constantly bitching doesn't change anything or make it better to root for.

But that doesn't mean I'm not going to call a spade a spade when the subject is brought up.

And when we didn't get Harden and Deron leaves, King would be blasted for not listening to Deron and we'd be left with nothing. I don't know why you keep assuring yourself that Deron was going to stay in Brooklyn no matter what. I think he and Kidd made it very clear that he was serious about Dallas, and Kidd even said he thought he was leaning towards Dallas.

I don't see how this organization has been horribly run under new management. If anything, it's been ran exceptionally. Look at all the buzz around this team. Look at all how well we did from a marketing standpoint. Look how our owner means business and will spend whatever it takes. Look how we fired our head coach early in the season, when none of us thought they had the balls to do it. I don't see where you're coming from on that point. The New Jersey Nets of old, yes...but not this current management.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#18 » by NyCeEvO » Wed Jan 2, 2013 5:49 pm

N Ireland Nets wrote:
So I ask this question, should Billy King be fired (I mean not given a new contract this summer) ?

Due to our uncertainty coaching wise and need for a PF, I admit I'm very nervous about King making trades after Jan 15th until the trade deadline.

His job is on the line and you can bet he is going to make a splash in the next few months and that worries me greatly.

He wants to keep his job and since the players he re-signed/traded for are underperforming, he will make a trade in order to keep his job and spark the franchise.

You saw how Avery was trying all sorts of lineups and changes just to try to keep his job and it didn't work.

I'm 99% sure BK will try to pull off something that either help or hurt us dramatically for a long time. He's on the clock and he knows that he has to do something to save his job.

Billy King needs to sit on his hands after the panic moves he's made in the recent past in my opinion.

Lets look at the huge moves he made at the deadline & summer.

It's obvious this starts with the panic Wallace trade and ends with the Johnson trade.

With it being revealed that OKC offered the Wizards Harden for Beal & Singleton it makes it even harder to stomach when you look at the Wallace trade for us.

You can never know if Harden was offered to everyone. The potential deal between WAS-OKC is the only one that we know about and I'm pretty sure if OKC let everyone know that Harden was on the market, there would've been much more hoopla and rumors than we heard before he was dealt.
If we hadn't of traded for Wallace our pick is easily top 4, we were only 2 wins better off than the 2nd worse record last season. So with no Wallace we have a legit shot at top 3 & maybe even top pick if we were lucky.

So worse case with no Wallace trade we could've very well left the draft with Harden or Davis.

You can't assume the pick would've definitely been top 4 due to the lottery.
So you'd be walking into free agency with Davis/Harden & a re-signed Lopez of probably around $10m per saving us a lot of money. We ended up giving Lopez the max because we messed him about for so long until rumours of the Bobcats & Portland willing to offer the max to Lopez when a deal would've been simple if we had offered him a big deal early on. Then it would be up to D Will go re-sign if he was interested in playing with such a good young core going forward.

We gave Lopez the max because he was going to get the max regardless. We needed for Lopez to wait on his deal because of D12. As soon as Lopez signed a contract of $10+mil (which he was definitely going to get), we all knew that meant we weren't going to be able to deal for Howard. We weren't "messing around".
AK47 was very interested in joining Brooklyn but we could only offer the vet min at the time & he reportedly still was considering it against the Wolves deal, so the full MLE could've swayed him with 3 years $5m.

Players don't often turn down more money so I wouldn't definitely say that AK would've taken 3/$15mil over 2/$20 with PO after the 1st season.
Re-sign Hump to same $12m deal he has now if we traded for Harden or if we had Davis, sign OJ Mayo to a good deal.

We'd obviously been in far better shape than currently with a top young core with Williams & AK the vet presence.

With 1st pick, potential starting 5:
Williams - $17.2m
Mayo - $4m
AK47 -
Davis - $5.15m
Lopez - $13.7m

Would have roughly $18m pre AK signing to pay AK47 & fill out roster in this situation.

With a top 3 pick & Harden trade:
Williams - $17.2m
Harden - $5.8m
AK47 - $5m full MLE
Hump - $12m
Lopez - $13.7m
Would have roughly $9m pre AK47 signing to fill out roster spots before giving the full MLE to AK.

This is a lot of revisionist history. While I don't think BK did a tremendous job, everything that you mentioned above can't be blamed on him.

As others have said, ORL was determined to not trade D12 to us. Would the #1 pick change their mind? Probably, but there's no way to know whether we would've got the #1 pick.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#19 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Jan 2, 2013 5:51 pm

rj2496 wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:

Why exactly can't you?

Because hindsight means nothing. What would the Hornets have looked like if they never traded Kobe Bryant? You can make up hundreds of scenarios in hindsight. How do you know OKC trades us Harden? In hindsight, if that dumbass Dwight Howard never signed that ETO, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Things happen. I highly doubt we would have signed Gerald Wallace if we never traded for him. He has said multiple times that he is scared of NYC, and I don't think the Nets would have been his first option.

Billy did everything he could to put the best possible line up on the floor with all things considered. We didn't have any assets, so we had to be a bit creative, and this is what we ended up with.

This logic is silly.

Kobe in Charlotte? Dude he forced his way to the Lakers how Eli forced his way to the Giants. The two situations have zero in common. Awful analogy.

I don't need to "make up scenarios."

I know we don't make the Wallace trade we wind up top 4 pick.

I know OKC wanted a top pick for Harden and would have preferred to ship him East.

That's all I need to know.

And this nonsense over and over with Crash not signing here, it makes me want to kick puppies.
You offer him 4 years and $48 million he doesn't come here?!

Cause that's about a deal starting at $11 mill.

Who else is offering that?

Oh wait, that's right, I can't deal in what ifs, but you're here to tell me Crash would have signed with the Rockets for 3 years and $28 million instead or with the Hawks for 4 years of MLE... :roll:

Billy did the best he could? No Billy f***ed things up the best way Billy knows how to. The way he has in all his prior destinations. Overpaying in trade. Overpaying role players. Failing to analyze his roster properly or evaluate talent to a per dollar figure how he should. Lucking into a good deal or two and then basing his own self evaluation on that.

I mean this guy is delusional.

Don't you remember him after the Crash trade? Talking about there were only 3 players we liked in the draft? And then pumping himself up for drafting Larry Hughes with the Sixers when Dirk mother f***ing Nowitzki and Paul Pierce went the 2 picks directly and simultaneously after him?!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh Billy! :nonono:

Such a shame what Billy did to this cache of assets and this team. And I might not be 100% right or anywhere close on all my views or what I would have done, but don't try and play me out as some casual fan knee jerker. I deep think on this stuff cause it's what I love to as my main hobby and real life distraction. Again, that doesn't mean I'm right, but it means I've put a lot of thought into this and I from years of following this stuff understand the workings of the NBA, the salary cap, team construct, reality of the situation in Brooklyn, Deron, etc.

Yes right now, things are working out as I feared instead of how I hoped. The team is not even entertaining to watch. It's not that I'm pissed cause we're not in a position to win a title right now. It's because this team is not enjoyable, has no heart, is not fighting, nor representing this area of the country, the city well and makes me feel like why I have wasted this much of my time caring instead of doing something like taking up knitting afghans or pottery. :-?
21shumpshumpst
Banned User
And1: 36

Post#20 » by 21shumpshumpst » Wed Jan 2, 2013 5:53 pm

Not a Nets fan but I will chime in because your GM is awful.

People saying that Deron was not going to resign unless King made that awful Wallace trade are delusional.

Deron resigned with you for a couple of reasons in no particular order
1) Max money
2) Cuban not being at the meeting with Dallas
3) Joe Johnson trade
4) Allure of being the man in Brooklyn

The Gerald Wallace trade DID NOT have to happen at all for Dwill to resign.

Lets play devil's advocates then and say that Deron demanded help. King told him a trade was possible for Wallace for their pick. Deron wanted it to go through.

At that point King should HAVE DONE HIS JOB and told Dwill "this season is lost but I promise you that next year we will spare no expense to get a better team. You got mine and Proks word on that. Keeping this draft pick now will provide us with great flexibility of either drafting a stud in a deep draft or trading for a veteran. Picks as you know get more and more valuable as the draft draws near so bear with me."

Lets say you guys pick no worse than 10th in last years draft. Here are the top 10 draft picks

Only Rivers and Robinson are real busts. Even Beal who is struggling is showing signs. You had an 80% chance of drafting a stud.

1 Anthony Davis
2 Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
3 Bradley Beal
4 Dion Waiters
5 Thomas Robinson
6 Damian Lillard
7 Harrison Barnes
8 Terrence Ross
9 Andre Drummond
10 Austin Rivers

The worst part is that King said he only liked 3 guys in the draft (wtf). That shows utter incompetence in his scouting team which he manages. So the buck stops at King.

If I hire a scout and he tells me this draft is only 3 deep that will be better than Wallace and then you show me this list of players then you are getting fired. You should fire King at all costs that guy is a dummy.

Return to Brooklyn Nets