to
68pts, 63 bds, 60 fouls

:rockon:

dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Re: Jan Vesely Part II: He a Bust 

Post#184 » by dangermouse » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:52 am

He played well tonight. Scrappy dappy doo.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#185 » by closg00 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 11:19 am

rl25g wrote:Nate,
Ves messes up your stats tonight with 10 pts, 7bds and only 2 fouls

Season totals went from

58 pts, 56 bds, 58 fouls
to
68pts, 63 bds, 60 fouls

:rockon:

Good for Ves, but it's just plain sad that someone scoring 10 points in how-many games? Is a cause for celebration. Jan hustled his ass off and did his thing.
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,369

Post#186 » by Jimmy Recard » Tue Jan 8, 2013 12:54 pm

It's amazing how much more effective your offense is when you're at least pretending to be an offensive threat rather than playing hot potato with the ball.

First time i've seen him receive the ball and actually face the basket this season.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,067

Post#187 » by nate33 » Tue Jan 8, 2013 2:51 pm

Trade him now while his value is sky high.

I'd take a high 2nd round pick and an expiring contract. I suspect we might even be able to get a late 1st. There are still a lot of GM's who drool over length and athleticism.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,916

Post#188 » by DCZards » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:33 pm

I'm just glad to see Jan getting some PT. It was either that or send him to the D league where he could at least play and, hopefully, improve. I'm guessing that last night was a confidence booster for Vesely. I'd expect him to be somewhat more productive with the return of Wall and the uptick in the Zards running game will come with Wall running the show.

Jan will likely never be worthy of the 6th pick but I do think there's role for him as a backup.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#189 » by Dat2U » Tue Jan 8, 2013 3:35 pm

He's still trade filler IMO.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,300

Post#190 » by dobrojim » Tue Jan 8, 2013 7:44 pm

his overall play was encouraging. I think it was the Dallas game (or maybe ORL)
where his on/off was especially atrocious. Since then it's been trending in the
right direction. The most encouraging sign I saw was the one post-up he did,
forget who was guarding him, but he was backing down someone (!) and
then did a really quick spin and finger-roll type layup. It was the speed of the move
that I took notice of. The defender had no chance. One good play in a season so far of dreck.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#191 » by Knighthonor » Tue Jan 8, 2013 8:09 pm

Wizard need to play the ball, and stop being scared to play offense.
SizzlinSimms
Junior
And1: 55

Post#192 » by SizzlinSimms » Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:33 pm

I still can't believe he's shooting .24% from the line. That is absurd.

Hopefully last night boosts his confidence some. I don't see him as a quality player ever, but maybe a decent off the bench at best.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#193 » by gambitx777 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:47 am

Well I think that if we can move him for anything more than Jackie Moon and a third round draft pick that we would come out ahead. I mean if he plays him self in to trade value cool lets move him.
willbcocks
Analyst
And1: 143

Post#194 » by willbcocks » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:57 am

Last game he played as he did the final 20 games of last year. He still made some mistakes on defense and committed a few bad fouls/turnovers, but at least he showed hustle and the to ability to make some positive contributions on both ends of the floor. He again looked like he has the potential to be a valuable glue guy on a good team.

It is astonishing how badly he played to start this year considering his play at the end of last year. He appears to have lost ALL of his confidence and love for the game, which is probably the worst thing that could happen to a "glue guy." I hope this game was the start of him getting his mojo back, because if he doesn't get it back quickly and at least return to where he was at the end of last year, he'll be out of the league with a quickness.
SizzlinSimms
Junior
And1: 55

Post#195 » by SizzlinSimms » Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:25 am

To me, Vesely looks so lost out there. He's playing like a chicken with his head cut off. He's so hesitant on offense, whether to pass or shoot, he basically stops the ball and turns it into a crap shot situation.

The only thing that I can give him is that he does hustle. He's not giving up, but he just doesn't understand the game. The team and himself don't know where he belongs on our team. Is he a wing? Do they attempt to put him at PF and watch him get bullied? I mean he's like a tweener between PF/SF. If such a position existed he might be perfect. He's too weak for PF. He's not athletic enough for above average SFs.

Does he have a shot? I wouldn't know, and I feel most of us as well, because we very rarely ever see him shoot. If I were to judge from his FT percentage I'd have to say, NO! I find it almost impossible to average 24% from the line. IMPOSSIBLE. Last week, I think it might have been BKN, he airballed it. Of course, most of the team was missing FTAs but he's been awful.

Last game we saw some potential. A nice block. I actually saw him receive a pass and take a couple steps to the hoop and throw down a hard dunk.

I'd love for him to pan out to at least a good bench player, but I can't see it.
deneem4
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,197

Post#196 » by deneem4 » Wed Jan 9, 2013 11:37 am

I think nene and crawford intimidates him (too not fck up)...not only him but singleton as well...seraphin and webster slowly growing out of it...beal has already...its like he finally gets in the game nd he knows if he does something wrong they going to yell at him (like a teammate should) but when playing with the lineup they had vs the thunder...hes lik fck it..we have no primary person to worry about getting touches...hes mentally soft...scared of error...they should realy start the younger guys together, they showed chemisty...
Pay your beals....or its lights out!!!
Bron, Bosh, Wade is like Mike, Hakeem, barkley...3 top 5 picks from same draft
mike, hakeem and Barkley on the same team!!!!
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#197 » by dobrojim » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:01 pm

SizzlinSimms wrote:To me, Vesely looks so lost out there. He's playing like a chicken with his head cut off. He's so hesitant on offense, whether to pass or shoot, he basically stops the ball and turns it into a crap shot situation.

The only thing that I can give him is that he does hustle. He's not giving up, but he just doesn't understand the game. The team and himself don't know where he belongs on our team. Is he a wing? Do they attempt to put him at PF and watch him get bullied? I mean he's like a tweener between PF/SF. If such a position existed he might be perfect. He's too weak for PF. He's not athletic enough for above average SFs.

Does he have a shot? I wouldn't know, and I feel most of us as well, because we very rarely ever see him shoot. If I were to judge from his FT percentage I'd have to say, NO! I find it almost impossible to average 24% from the line. IMPOSSIBLE. Last week, I think it might have been BKN, he airballed it. Of course, most of the team was missing FTAs but he's been awful.

Last game we saw some potential. A nice block. I actually saw him receive a pass and take a couple steps to the hoop and throw down a hard dunk.

I'd love for him to pan out to at least a good bench player, but I can't see it.

I think he does understand the game. He has no confidence in his shot, quite possibly
because his shot stinks. But it could be a bit of chicken and egg. MAYBE a big part of why his
shot stinks is because he has no confidence in it.

As far as understanding the game, I would point to some of the passes he's made.
Vs OKC, there was one beautiful assist to Ok (dunk) off a baseline drive. When he rebounds,
he outlets quickly. I would also point to the way he defends PnR. There have been
many times when he has been quite disruptive defensively. When you say chicken
with head cut off, I think Etan Thomas (or JaVale). I don't think Ves is like ET.

As painful as it has been, and as paradoxical given his euro/pro experience, he may
take longer (4 years at least) to reach his potential than most bigs.

Not defending the him as a pick at 6. Just talking about what I see (lately) when
I watch him on the court. My eyes could well be lying to me. It wouldn't be the 1st time.
His numbers on the year are just abysmal. No other way to describe it.
It would be easier to be more optimistic if he had produced more to date
(that's an admission that I'm not saying he doesn't have a long way to go).

BTW - the post up shot I was describing in a prev post ^ was against Durant.
Don't know if Durant was merely shocked at what Ves did, caught offguard.
When I first watched the play, I thought Ves was backing down a G, not a lengthy
player like Durant. Ves has an NBA body and athleticism. Skillz, not so much.

He clearly still has a lot of improving to do. Whether he ever does it is clearly
an open question and is likely to remain so for at least another year, (again) as painful
as that is.

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#198 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:11 pm

Ya know what, the Wiz have nothing to lose by giving him some more minutes - particularly when Wall comes back. I saw some extra giddyup in his leaping ability recently - which was encouraging and surprised me, he does a good job of hustling to keep rebounds alive, and he's certainly not selfish on offense. Might as well try to make him an asset. We know what we have with the other bigs, and while we know we don't have a star with Vesely, we might find we have something useful. His stats are absolutely pathetic, and yet... that extra giddyup recently made me pause.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#199 » by dobrojim » Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:52 pm

+1 Ruz. What do they have to lose? If he plays well, give him minutes.
When he stinks, let him sit for games and work in practice.
That he was the pick is water under the bridge. Try to put him
in situations where he has a chance to be successful.

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#200 » by Ruzious » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:44 am

Jeebus Jan, I defend you, and you follow up with 5 fouls in less than 5 minutes - not to mention participating in 2 flubbed alley oops? And Ted was undoubtedly ready with a blog about how Wall was going to make you a star. You were supposed to lay the smack down; not the egg down.

Jan, is Ivan Johnson really that hard to cover? Serislar?

Excuse me, Jan. I'm late for a seminar on the art of passing - to be taught by Kevin Seraphin. Hey, maybe you can teach free throw shooting.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

Return to Washington Wizards