Could Ben Mclemore be #1 draft pick

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

black bart
Rookie
And1: 40

Could Ben Mclemore be #1 draft pick 

Post#1 » by black bart » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:00 am

I know that this is coming after a 33 point game but, he is by far the best prospect from any viewpoint. Statistically, he has the best stats. He is shooting 50-40-90 in college. Athetlically he is the best SG prospect. Shabazz is carrying 40 pounds more than Mclemore. mclemore also has good height and wingspan. What I like about him is that he will immediately be one of the fastest players in the nba. Easily could guard both pg and sg and has a nice shot. He is the least risky and has potential to be both all-nba player on both sides. I feel like he is the frontrunner now.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Re: Could Ben Mclemore be #1 draft pick 

Post#2 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:11 am

I would give him the edge as the frontrunner as well.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,310

Post#3 » by DirtyDez » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:35 am

Shabazz will be a SF in the NBA. And yes B-Mac is worthy of the top 1-2 pick. Right now those two are at the top.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#4 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:00 am

NBADraft.net moved McLemore to #1, btw
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#5 » by ManualRam » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:28 am

sure, why not? there's no consensus #1, so all it takes is 1 team.
he's in my top 4 and there isn't much separation among those players.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,310

Post#6 » by DirtyDez » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:45 am

ManualRam wrote:sure, why not? there's no consensus #1, so all it takes is 1 team.

Who along with Bazz, B-Mac & Noel?
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#7 » by ManualRam » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:21 am

DirtyDez wrote:
ManualRam wrote:sure, why not? there's no consensus #1, so all it takes is 1 team.

Who along with Bazz, B-Mac & Noel?

zeller
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Big_C_KU
Junior
And1: 106

Post#8 » by Big_C_KU » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:19 pm

The only knocks on Ben have been his handles, finishing around the rim, and his defense. His handles have looked just fine for the most part except for a few gaffes. He's struggled at times finishing around the basket but last night he did a solid job finishing around the basket on the drive, especially when he became extremely focused late in the game in bringing KU back. His one-on-one defense is a work in progress but improving. It's not bad but he does have a tendency to stand up too straight when defending and get blown by. He is a tremendous off the ball defended, especially at chasing shooters and fighting through screens.

Don't know if he'll be the #1 pick because you usually don't see wings go #1. But I do know who ever gets him will get an immediate contributor because of his shooting as well as potential to be a star because of his athleticism and willingness to improve and be coached.
re49gb_2gho32fp
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#9 » by re49gb_2gho32fp » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:29 pm

Big_C_KU wrote:But I do know who ever gets him will get an immediate contributor because of his shooting as well as potential to be a star because of his athleticism and willingness to improve and be coached.

Akin to Brad Beal?

Nothing, and i mean nothing sticks outside of the mean as far as bradley beal relative to star potential goes, i would like to note. Granted, young age bestows him excuses.
Admittedly, these kind of guards do not intrigue me.
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#10 » by EricAnderson » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:57 pm

His upside is much higher then Beals imo because of his elite athleticism plus hes shooting like Beal was hyped to be coming out of hs but so far in colelge and the pros Beal has not bee nas good a shooter as advertised tough hes playign better lately..
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#11 » by [RCG] » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:30 pm

Could he? Yes. Will he? That is yet to be seen. Remember a lot of the top guys are freshmen and can still come on strong. I think it also depends on the team at the top. Wizards (Beal) Cavs (Waiters) would both probably look at Shabazz as would the Kings while the Bobcats could look at a big. He may be the best prospect however.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#12 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:06 pm

McLemore is an outstanding prospect, but I don't think there's any chance he goes number 1, because he's not a shot creator - or at least not a penetrator. Key negative stat - he doesn't get to the foul line very much (though not awful in that department). Helluva prospect who will be I'd love to have on my team - but not a #1 candidate, imo.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:10 pm

EricAnderson wrote:His upside is much higher then Beals imo because of his elite athleticism plus hes shooting like Beal was hyped to be coming out of hs but so far in colelge and the pros Beal has not bee nas good a shooter as advertised tough hes playign better lately..

I don't disagree, but keep in mind that Beal is actually 4 months YOUNGER than McLemore.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
23-7
Veteran
And1: 466

Post#14 » by 23-7 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:08 pm

Really...? They are the same age who cares about months?
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#15 » by ManualRam » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:27 pm

even if beal was 2 yrs younger than mclemore, he would still never be as athletic as mac, which to me is the huge difference b/t the 2. they're both smart players, and i still beleive beal will eventually be a good shooter (albeit a less versatile one) who are both committed defensively, but beal will never be able to do what mclemore can do athletically.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:31 pm

23-7 wrote:Really...? They are the same age who cares about months?

The point was that when someone compares their college stats, one was 16 months younger than the other, so it's not comparing apples to apples. That's all.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:32 pm

ManualRam wrote:even if beal was 2 yrs younger than mclemore, he would still never be as athletic as mac, which to me is the huge difference b/t the 2. they're both smart players, and i still beleive beal will eventually be a good shooter (albeit a less versatile one) who are both committed defensively, but beal will never be able to do what mclemore can do athletically.

I concur. That's not why I brought up the age thing. It was about comparing stats.
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#18 » by [RCG] » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:23 pm

I don't think the age is a non-issue - it's not to say that McLemore is not that great of a prospect because he's slightly older than some of these guys because he is. And the age difference is minute anyway.

We could say, however, that right now they are the same age, would you rather be developing in the NBA, like Beal, or at Kansas, like McLemore. McLemore shows more promise due to his athleticism, not because he is younger, but also because Beal was touted for his excellent deep shooting but that hasn't materialized in college or in the pros and when you're calling card isn't really a calling card what do you have left?
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
boogie-reke
Head Coach
And1: 244

Post#19 » by boogie-reke » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:39 pm

Ruzious wrote:McLemore is an outstanding prospect, but I don't think there's any chance he goes number 1, because he's not a shot creator - or at least not a penetrator. Key negative stat - he doesn't get to the foul line very much (though not awful in that department). Helluva prospect who will be I'd love to have on my team - but not a #1 candidate, imo.

I tend to agree with this.

Thing is there is no real #1, so it's a pickle.

It comes to a point where like, he's a great player and prospect - but he's not what's expected out of a number 1 pick and the expectations will be too high for what he'll bring. although again probably no one in this draft will answer that state of mind tbh so might aswell get the best prospect.
Big_C_KU
Junior
And1: 106

Post#20 » by Big_C_KU » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:52 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP01DVpgTXU[/youtube]

Became focused when they were down and just took over. Showed driving ability, handles, crossover, pull-up jumper, and great defense to go along with his elite shooting ability. Hopefully he has a few more games at least like this showing off the full package.

Return to NBA Draft